Jump to topic:

Mafia Basics and Beginner Sign-Up

medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2011 3:36:03 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Hello new members, and welcome to DDO. You've probably noticed "mafia" being thrown around the site but don't understand any of it and have avoided playing games for fear of looking silly and losing, but joining in these beginner games will prepare you to compete against the regulars. The following will give you a basic look at how mafia is played.

Mafia is a forum game. It is started by a moderator, or a user who decides to start a game.

The moderator then conducts "signups" where people put there name onto a list. Then once all people have signed up, the moderator randomly assigns 1/3 (roughly) of the players onto the mafia team, and then the other 2/3 are signed onto the townie team. None of the teams are announced but are done individually through Private Messages or PMs.

There are two phases in mafia: The day phase and the night phase.

The townies do not know what team any other player is on. However the mafia know who is on their team and can communicate with them in one group private message set up by the moderator. The mafia can communicate in this PM throughout the entire game. Usually the mafia get to "kill" a player during the "night phase"

Basically, the mafia decide as a whole who they want to remove from the game. Once they decide, the "night phase" is over and the day phase begins. During the night phase no one may post in the forum.

During the day phase everyone can post in the forum. All players decide to "lynch", or kill, one player during the day phase. This is decided democratically via votes. Mafia members are included in the day phase votes. Their job is to blend in and fool the townies into thinking that they are townies, as well. Don't trust anyone, until you can be sure they aren't mafia.

A majority of votes are needed to lynch a player. Once the player has been lynched he is removed from the game and the night phase begins.

Whoever survives at the end is the winner.

Some quick things to know:

1. The night phase is not done actually at "night" in real life. It just is a name for a part of the game where the mafia decide on who to remove from the game.

2. The day phase is not necessarily done during the "day" in real life. It is just a name for a part of the game where the mafia decide on who to remove from the game.

3. The mafia are unknown to the townies

4. Other townies are unknown to the townies.

5. The mafia know who the mafia are.

6. The mafia, via process of elimination, know who the townies are.

7. When the mafia decide to remove someone during the night phase it is known as a "night kill"

8. When all the players decide during the day phase to vote someone out of the game it is known as a "lynch"

9. Games last as long or as quickly as it takes for players to make decisions on their votes.

10. Votes can be changed until a majority is met.

11. Sometimes other powers are thrown in to mix things up however this is generally the theme.

We will be conducting a series of three beginner games, with each game becoming a little more difficult, and adding a new element of the game. The first game will be very basic, just to introduce you to the game. The moderator will explain every part of the game, and you will have a private message set up with the mod, so that you can ask all the questions you want, in private. Once you get into the regular games, the mod may, or may not, be able to answer your question, so the three training games is the time to ask. The only stupid questions are the ones that you don't ask. Essentially this is training for new members who wish to try out mafia.

This is for any beginner who has not graduated in the previous set of beginner games, and 1 or 2 players who graduated but who only played 2 games last time. We'd also like to have three experienced players involved, to help out. If you'd like to give it a shot, just reply to this post and add your username beside a number. Good luck and have fun!!

New Players
1. Medic0506

Experienced Players
ChristianM
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2011 7:22:37 AM
At 7/14/2011 3:36:03 AM, medic0506 wrote:
Hello new members, and welcome to DDO. You've probably noticed "mafia" being thrown around the site but don't understand any of it and have avoided playing games for fear of looking silly and losing, but joining in these beginner games will prepare you to compete against the regulars. The following will give you a basic look at how mafia is played.

Mafia is a forum game. It is started by a moderator, or a user who decides to start a game.

The moderator then conducts "signups" where people put there name onto a list. Then once all people have signed up, the moderator randomly assigns 1/3 (roughly) of the players onto the mafia team, and then the other 2/3 are signed onto the townie team. None of the teams are announced but are done individually through Private Messages or PMs.

The townies do not know what team any other player is on. However the mafia know who is on their team and can communicate with them in one group private message set up by the moderator. The mafia can communicate in this PM throughout the entire game. Usually the mafia get to "kill" a player during the "night phase"

Basically, the mafia decide as a whole who they want to remove from the game. Once they decide, the "night phase" is over and the day phase begins. During the night phase no one may post in the forum.

During the day phase everyone can post in the forum. All players decide to "lynch", or kill, one player during the day phase. This is decided democratically via votes. Mafia members are included in the day phase votes. Their job is to blend in and fool the townies into thinking that they are townies, as well. Don't trust anyone, until you can be sure they aren't mafia.

A majority of votes are needed to lynch a player. Once the player has been lynched he is removed from the game and the night phase begins.

1. The night phase is not done actually at "night" in real life. It just is a name for a part of the game where the mafia decide on who to remove from the game.

2. The day phase is not necessarily done during the "day" in real life. It is just a name for a part of the game where the mafia decide on who to remove from the game.

7. When the mafia decide to remove someone during the night phase it is known as a "night kill"

8. When all the players decide during the day phase to vote someone out of the game it is known as a "lynch"

9. Games last as long or as quickly as it takes for players to make decisions on their votes.

11. Sometimes other powers are thrown in to mix things up however this is generally the theme.

We will be conducting a series of three beginner games, with each game becoming a little more difficult, and adding a new element of the game. The first game will be very basic, just to introduce you to the game. The moderator will explain every part of the game, and you will have a private message set up with the mod, so that you can ask all the questions you want, in private. Once you get into the regular games, the mod may, or may not, be able to answer your question, so the three training games is the time to ask. The only stupid questions are the ones that you don't ask. Essentially this is training for new members who wish to try out mafia.

This is for any beginner who has not graduated in the previous set of beginner games, and 1 or 2 players who graduated but who only played 2 games last time. We'd also like to have three experienced players involved, to help out. If you'd like to give it a shot, just reply to this post and add your username beside a number. Good luck and have fun!!

New Players
1. Medic0506

Experienced Players
1. ChristianM
DeadLeaves93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 8:42:27 AM
New Players
1. Medic0506

Experienced Players
1. ChristianM
2. Andromeda_Z
3. Deadleaves93
"At last, my arm is complete again!"
freedomsquared
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2011 12:28:30 PM
New Players
1. Medic0506
2. freedomsquared

Experienced Players
1. ChristianM
2. Andromeda_Z
3. Deadleaves93
But it's Norway, sort of the Canada of Europe."
-innomen

http://www.debate.org...
-humorous debate with brian_eggleston

http://www.debate.org...
-tournament debate, need votes
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2011 4:21:34 PM
New Players
1. Medic0506
2. freedomsquared
3. lickdafoot

Experienced Players
1. ChristianM
2. Andromeda_Z
3. Deadleaves93
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
MCDCBC
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2011 11:17:10 PM
New Players
1. Medic0506
2. freedomsquared
3. lickdafoot
4. MCDCBC

Experienced Players
1. ChristianM
2. Andromeda_Z
3. Deadleaves93
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2011 12:43:08 PM
At 7/20/2011 11:17:10 PM, MCDCBC wrote:
New Players
1. Medic0506
2. freedomsquared
3. lickdafoot
4. MCDCBC
5. Man-is-good.

Experienced Players
1. ChristianM
2. Andromeda_Z
3. Deadleaves93
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2011 12:49:00 PM
At 7/21/2011 12:43:08 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 7/20/2011 11:17:10 PM, MCDCBC wrote:
New Players
1. Medic0506
2. freedomsquared
3. lickdafoot
4. MCDCBC
5. Man-is-good.
6. Greyparrot

Experienced Players
1. ChristianM
2. Andromeda_Z
3. Deadleaves93
fubar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2011 8:49:20 PM
New Players
1. Medic0506
2. freedomsquared
3. lickdafoot
4. MCDCBC
5. Man-is-good.
6. Greyparrot
7. fubar

Experienced Players
1. ChristianM
2. Andromeda_Z
3. Deadleaves93
wierdman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 10:33:49 AM
At 7/14/2011 3:36:03 AM, medic0506 wrote:

New Players
1. Medic0506
2. wierdman

Experienced Players
wierdman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 10:48:52 AM
At 7/21/2011 8:49:20 PM, fubar wrote:
New Players
1. Medic0506
2. freedomsquared
3. lickdafoot
4. MCDCBC
5. Man-is-good.
6. Greyparrot
7. fubar
8.wierdman

Experienced Players
1. ChristianM
2. Andromeda_Z
3. Deadleaves93
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 2:03:21 PM
At 7/25/2011 2:00:53 PM, medic0506 wrote:
Good deal, looks like we have enough. The mod will begin sending out pm's for the game shortly.

But there's one member left in the petition....

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 2:04:56 PM
Good deal, looks like we have enough. The mod will begin sending out pm's for the game shortly.

Who is the mod? You posted the signups, but you're also on them, and I don't think you can do both.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 2:10:44 PM
At 7/25/2011 2:04:56 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:

Who is the mod? You posted the signups, but you're also on them, and I don't think you can do both.

I thought medic was the minister of mafia, though he's participating in the game as well....

medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2011 12:23:34 AM
At 7/25/2011 2:04:56 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:

If someone else signs up we'll get them in. I won't be modding, as for who is, it's a surprise.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2011 11:42:59 AM
Medic sent me a PM to mod this beginner game, so I will mod this round (3 beginner games).

Right now there are 4 members that I cannot send PMs to, in order to play, I need to be able to PM you. This can be done by either allowing non-friends to PM you, or by sending me/accepting from me a friend request.

Thank you.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2011 11:47:36 AM
Friend requests have been sent to...
MCDCBC
fubar
Wierdman

Man-is-good - I cannot PM you and you are not accepting friend requests. You need to either send me a friend request, or open your account so that I can PM you.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2011 1:33:27 PM
At 7/26/2011 11:47:36 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
MCDCBC
fubar
Wierdman

Man-is-good - I cannot PM you and you are not accepting friend requests. You need to either send me a friend request, or open your account so that I can PM you.

Man-is-good is good now, however the other three still need to allow me to PM them. If anyone is friends with them, please shoot them a PM to let them know. The game will begin as soon as they allow me to PM them.

Thanks,
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2011 1:46:43 PM
At 7/26/2011 1:33:27 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 7/26/2011 11:47:36 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
MCDCBC
fubar
Wierdman

Man-is-good is good now, however the other three still need to allow me to PM them. If anyone is friends with them, please shoot them a PM to let them know. The game will begin as soon as they allow me to PM them.

Thanks,

Orele_E, do you mind dividing the night and day phrase from 9:00 in the morning (day phrase) to 3:00 in the evening? I apologize for this inconvenience, but I am busy every evening this month (until August).

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2011 1:54:27 PM
The DP (day phase) is actually not a single day in the real world, and doesn't even tie to the real world time at all.

Some mods don't even have time limits on the DP. Some will have the DP last as long as it takes for the town to lynch, whether it takes 10 minutes or 100 hours.

For this game, the DPs will last 48 hours, or until a lynch is completed (or "no lynch"). So if I start DP1 (day phase 1) today at 1 pm (PST), it will last until 1 pm on Thursday (I will constantly remind everyone about when the end of the DP is), but if on Wednesday, at 3:44 pm (PST) we have a lynch (majority of people voting to lynch someone), the DP ends right then and there, and the NP begins.

NPs will only last 12 hours for this game, though they normally last longer.

In a fast pased large game, you'll often see 72 hour DP and 48 hour NP.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2011 1:57:23 PM
At 7/26/2011 1:54:27 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
The DP (day phase) is actually not a single day in the real world, and doesn't even tie to the real world time at all.

Some mods don't even have time limits on the DP. Some will have the DP last as long as it takes for the town to lynch, whether it takes 10 minutes or 100 hours.

For this game, the DPs will last 48 hours, or until a lynch is completed (or "no lynch"). So if I start DP1 (day phase 1) today at 1 pm (PST), it will last until 1 pm on Thursday (I will constantly remind everyone about when the end of the DP is), but if on Wednesday, at 3:44 pm (PST) we have a lynch (majority of people voting to lynch someone), the DP ends right then and there, and the NP begins.

NPs will only last 12 hours for this game, though they normally last longer.

In a fast pased large game, you'll often see 72 hour DP and 48 hour NP.

Thank you for the clarification...I will only be gone for a number (four, in specific) of hours, and will return late at night.

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2011 2:00:24 PM
Not a problem, if you have any questions feel free to ask them here before the game starts, but once it starts, you can ask in your role PM (we won't have "roles" this game, other than townie and mafia).
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2011 11:47:36 AM
Fubar is basically out. He joined 5 days ago and hasn't been on since, so I suspect that he'll never be on again. Wierdman though will hopefully be on again soon. If he isn't on by the end of the day, we'll start without him (in about 6 hours).
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2011 4:06:07 PM
At 7/27/2011 11:47:36 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Fubar is basically out. He joined 5 days ago and hasn't been on since, so I suspect that he'll never be on again. Wierdman though will hopefully be on again soon. If he isn't on by the end of the day, we'll start without him (in about 6 hours).

OreEle, if you need an extra player I'd be here to help out.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
wierdman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2011 4:25:59 PM
At 7/27/2011 11:47:36 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

i am still in..
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2011 8:37:16 PM
Hey everyone.

We are actually going to be starting tomorrow morning, as the spread sheet that I have made up for this is at work and I had to come home early (about 6 hours ago).
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2011 8:58:01 PM
At 7/27/2011 8:37:16 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Hey everyone.

We are actually going to be starting tomorrow morning, as the spread sheet that I have made up for this is at work and I had to come home early (about 6 hours ago).

I appreciate your hard work and your diligence...I hope the game will proceed smoothly, and live up to the expectations of many.