Jump to topic:

Dead Island Logo Change

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 6:44:07 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
So, the anticipated game "Dead Island," is about to be released in North America--and surprisingly it's the North American ESRB that's doing the censoring. The board decided that the original logo, featuring a hanging man from a tree, was unsuitable for release in North America, so it had to be changed (see link at the end; original logo is on top, new one is on bottom).

I personally feel that (and I know I may be overreacting), even though it's a small thing, it's absolutely ridiculous, and a bit of a violation of freedom of artistic expression. Not only that, but the new logo to me detracts from the poignancy of the boxart. In the original, you saw a man who probably committed suicide, to escape the madness of the world. But the new one (which just features a zombie next to said tree) is really much more drab.

But what do you think?

New and Old logos: http://en.wikipedia.org...
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 7:12:51 PM
At 9/3/2011 6:44:07 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
So, the anticipated game "Dead Island," is about to be released in North America--and surprisingly it's the North American ESRB that's doing the censoring. The board decided that the original logo, featuring a hanging man from a tree, was unsuitable for release in North America, so it had to be changed (see link at the end; original logo is on top, new one is on bottom).

I personally feel that (and I know I may be overreacting), even though it's a small thing, it's absolutely ridiculous, and a bit of a violation of freedom of artistic expression. Not only that, but the new logo to me detracts from the poignancy of the boxart. In the original, you saw a man who probably committed suicide, to escape the madness of the world. But the new one (which just features a zombie next to said tree) is really much more drab.

But what do you think?

I agree that it is an infringement on artistic expression, and I'm not really sure what the ESRB accomplished?? I think it's just another example of political correctness run amuck. It reminds me of the game Homefront. The US had originally been invaded by China, but due to China's whining, the developers were forced to change it to the United Korean Republic.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 7:25:19 PM
At 9/3/2011 7:12:51 PM, medic0506 wrote:
At 9/3/2011 6:44:07 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

But what do you think?

I agree that it is an infringement on artistic expression, and I'm not really sure what the ESRB accomplished?? I think it's just another example of political correctness run amuck. It reminds me of the game Homefront. The US had originally been invaded by China, but due to China's whining, the developers were forced to change it to the United Korean Republic.

I remember that--plain stupid.

But yeah; I may still get the North American version because it's just a small boxart change, but if the ESRB ever makes a game change its content, you can be sure I'll seek out an unaltered copy from somewhere else, provided I actually want the game.

Also, as I said before, and it may be my inner morbidity, but I actually loved the original logo.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
terencebrown1234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 6:18:31 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Dead Island is a horror video game so it stands to reason that its logo is also a bit disturbing. However, a lot of the North American population is put off the game because of the graphic imaging, so it might not have achieved its desired results. A few days ago, i discovered a great logo design site on Twitter at https://twitter.com...
The marketers of Dead Island could have benefited from this services expertise.