Jump to topic:

Dungeons and Dragons!!!

mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2011 6:31:52 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'd kinda like to play again.. and I see the game that was on has kinda petered out...

I'm considering starting a game But I know I'm a rather bad orchestrator of such things.. so..

Anyone else want to? Or is Puck's game simply on a hiatus and supposed to start back up?

or did it begin to drop off b/c people stopped playing?

b/c either I'd like to get in on it if possible.. or if it's done maybe start up a new one..
(if a new one I'd prefer the old rules.. but I know the new ones having played it a little :/)

so... D&D!!
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2011 7:36:51 PM
At 9/26/2011 7:31:30 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
I am playing Dungeons and Dragons online right now :o

is it good?
I play NWN1/2 and wanted to play DDO but they were charging per month

however, I heard they made it "free" now...
is it free-free? or fake free?
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2011 7:45:21 PM
It's theoretically possible to get anything in D&D online free, but it'll be a helluva grind, and to get much of it that means starting a character on every server, levelling them to about level 4/ 100 favor, deleting them, doing it again until you have enough turbine points.

Puck's game probably ain't starting back up, it indeed died due to inactivity and tons of people quitting-- I was running a few people's characters through the end of the first dungeon until it died. He linked us all to a site called thetangledweb.net, which hosts tons of games, I'm playing a few 4e on there.

(also tomorrow night I'm checking out WWU's natural 20 club to see about some in-person action.)
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2011 7:46:27 PM
Note that D&D online level 4 is the equivalent of, say, level 20 in WoW.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2011 8:22:48 PM
At 9/26/2011 7:45:21 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
site called thetangledweb.net, which hosts tons of games

cool

(also tomorrow night I'm checking out WWU's natural 20 club to see about some in-person action.)

that's neat.. Few of my friends started playing 4e shortly after that game you modded on here.. so I've played with them a bit but we've stopped playing now.. So.. I'm gettin itchy.

Metaphysics:
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2011 8:28:25 PM
And yes, if you or someone else on the site is modding, 3.5 or 4.0, I'm in
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2011 12:53:27 AM
looks like interest is rather low population wise.

How the hell people wanna play Mafia but not D&D is beyond me. Yeah, mafia's faster paced, but summer's over anyway :P
Joseph_Mengele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2011 7:45:28 AM
If anyone here plays DDO, what server do you play on? I mostly restrict myself to Ghallanda.

I find it interesting that Turbine constantly says they will integrate the druid into the game, but they have still failed to do so, supposedly because of the coding procedures involved.

Does anyone know if they will raise the level cap beyond 20? I know that several other games that I have played such as Neverwinter Nights go to level 40 and stuff.
Joseph_Mengele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2011 8:01:30 AM
At 9/26/2011 7:36:51 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 9/26/2011 7:31:30 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
I am playing Dungeons and Dragons online right now :o

is it good?
I play NWN1/2 and wanted to play DDO but they were charging per month

however, I heard they made it "free" now...
is it free-free? or fake free?

DDO is somewhere near the magnitude of Runescape. There is free content and VIP only content. The difference in DDO, is that you can unlock all of the VIP content via something known as DDO points.
Joseph_Mengele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2011 8:02:15 AM
At 9/26/2011 8:28:25 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
And yes, if you or someone else on the site is modding, 3.5 or 4.0, I'm in

3.5 is Pathfinder right? It's been a while since I have played tabletop DnD.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2011 12:29:07 PM
Pathfinder is a third party product based on 3.5, it's pretty much 3.75, and it uses a similar basic system, just more feats, rebalanced core classes, etc.

This is most of 3.5's core rules:

http://www.d20srd.org...

Most anything Wizards of the Coast released between July 2003 and May 2008 is a 3.5 book. 3.5 material can usually be used in a pathfinder game with a little adaption, though it seems at face value it would be harder to go the other way around.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2011 1:38:57 PM
I was thinking if I do start a new one about tweaking some rules a bit..

like allowing people to aim for appendages...
and making hits on appendages dealt with differently than body shots.

I figure critical hits will be twice as likely if you successfully target your opponents head... and that if you do more than a quarter damage of their full health to their head they become dazed and have to make a reflex save or fall prone.. and if you get more than Half their hp on that hit they have to make a fortitude save or be KO'd.. (if it's a Critical in addition to these latter conditions.. then it may be an instant kill.

Similarly, if you successfully target a limb and do more than a quarter (hp) damage you hurt their ability to use that limb effectively.. and if you do more than half damage a failed fortitude check will determine if it's wholly inoperable.. Additionally if you get a critical on the limb, and do over half damage, and they fail the fortitude save.. then the limb is severed/Mangled :/ and, barring treatment, they'll need to beat increasingly difficult fortitude checks just to stay conscious.

However, of course this'll need balancing and I figure it's easily available in applying a greater dodge bonus to attacks specifically targeting appendages.

An attack targeting the head, which is Apart/Away from most of the body and which people are generally quite careful about keeping out of the fray, faces an additional 5 dodge bonus to AC... Also... if you Beat this AC by less than 5 you don't actually hit his head, but rather some other upper-torso area.. if you Exceed his new AC by more than 5 (or get a nat20) you hit the head.

Also.. if you don't wear a helmet you lose Half your armor bonus to AC for the attack.. but the helmet you wear can slightly limit your added Head dodge bonus.
also if you Do wear a helmet.. Regular KO possibilities apply.. but the doubled chance of facing a Critical hit is negated.

then if your limbs are targeted you get a +3 dodge bonus to AC.. with similar conditions about wearing armor on those appendages.

so.. in targeting an appendage of a wary foe you're generally less likely to hit due to attacking the Outer bits of your opponent.. and bits he can more easily move.. but successfully doing so can be very useful.

also, if you choose to simply Attack your opponent Normally (an attack centered on their torso).. on a successful hit you'll have a chance of having accidentally struck an appendage (just as an attack on an appendage might end up only hitting the torso) This will be done on a percentage basis.. 75% of successful default attacks will hit the torso.. 10% arms, 10% legs, 5% head.

I figure it'll make it more realistic and more fun :o)

Metaphysics:
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2011 1:41:13 PM
and also I figured I'd limit the scope of the "identify" spell so that it basically will make an improved Lore check on the item from the caster..

this way it's not so simple to identify high-level items.. and you may get it wrong without knowing it.

Metaphysics:
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2011 1:48:42 PM
At 10/4/2011 1:38:57 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
10% arms, 10% legs, 5% head.

Maybe 11, 11, and 3

Metaphysics:
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2011 2:10:14 PM
and the Added dodge bonuses wouldn't be limited by the Normal Armor limits to dodge bonuses..
but only by the armor relevant to that appendage.

if you wear platemail but don't wear the helmet that usually goes with Platemail your armor ac bonus drops from 8 to 4 on attacks targeting your head.. but you get the full head dodge bonus of +5
If you Do wear the helmet you don't have to worry about an expanded critical hit range, and your armor ac bonus remains at 8 for such attacks.. but that Added head-Dodge bonus will drop from 5 to 3

I'm also thinking I'll make some other, minor, drawbacks to wearing helmets.. like that they'll reduce all perception checks by 2 or 3.. and reduce charisma checks when dealing with people in non-battle scenarios.

Also.. I figure helms and whatnot won't come with the armor as part of the same price.. but the cost will be pieced out separately.. and magical armor bonuses will have to be worked out appropriately..

I'm thinking half the torso armor's magical bonus will applicable to account for it's closeness to what's goin on.. and the bonuses for the helms will only go Half as high with twice the price... and are Fully involved in the AC of those attacks where they're targeted.

Metaphysics:
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2011 2:20:13 PM
At 10/4/2011 2:10:14 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
if you wear platemail but don't wear the helmet that usually goes with Platemail your armor ac bonus drops from 8 to 4 on attacks targeting your head.. but you get the full head dodge bonus of +5
If you Do wear the helmet you don't have to worry about an expanded critical hit range, and your armor ac bonus remains at 8 for such attacks.. but that Added head-Dodge bonus will drop from 5 to 3

Figure plate-helm will be minus 2... medium helms -1 and really light stuff not negating any dodge bonus.

Metaphysics:
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2011 4:57:37 PM
I suspect that would add a lot more accounting to little benefit, Matt. Most things you're going to do that kind of damage to are mooks that aren't worth the bother. The main times it would have impact would be to ruin a PC's day.

For further discussion of Called Shot rules: http://www.giantitp.com...

OTOH, you could have a few variant classes that add these rules to their attacks, as long as you keep it to low tier classes like Fighter it suits thematically. Lets those players who like the idea of the system take it for a test drive, without making it make the game feel clunky for the rest, and the DM having to constantly remember it (putting the onus on the player to mention the rules like with most class features)

(Also, important reading for anyone looking to set up significantly balanced house rules-- the tier system for base classes and for PrCs):
http://brilliantgameologists.com...

http://brilliantgameologists.com...

If you wanna make helmets useful, one option is to autoconfirm criticals against people not wearing a helmet or naturally similarly armored (and give nonmagical helmets an arcane spell failure penalty of course). Adds a similar degree of realism in terms of armor needs but actually reduces accounting. If someone already has an ability that lets them autoconfirm or gives a bonus to confirmations or something and meet something with a helmet, one can either just say it doesn't stack like most other things, or give them +2 to damage for the course of the attack or something.

As for the identify thing-- Lore does not exist in 3.5, that's a Bioware invention or maybe a 3.0 thing.