bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 10:11:12 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
TOWN VICTORY

the only things that weren't revealed were:

andromeda could publish MSPaint pictures and send stories to her editor (Norman/blackhawk) that he could then publish in the DP. andromeda only chose to do this on NP1, which you can see DP2.

andromeda also gained the power to revive an animal after three NP's, but was role blocked and lost that power.

andromeda also would have been placed in a PM with her fiancee (Norman) after three DP's, had Helen Leech not prevented it with her role.

The mafia were all members of botanical societies that rejected Beatrix Potter's ideas, except for Mr. McGreggor, who is from the story. The mafia could only kill PEOPLE on EVEN night phases, so they had to try to kill the animals on odd night phases and the people on even. They had a collective roleblock, but askbob told me it only worked on andromeda (since the botanical society only roleblocked Beatrix).

The roles and characters were obviously biased town, which is why askbob put 5 mafiosos in. I made one of them estranged and put that person (Lickdafoot) outside the mafia PM, but I also shortened the number of times spinko had to visit the garden to kill McGreggor, which was a mistake, making it too easy for town.

There were honestly a lot of people town characters and a lot that confirmed each other (Norman and Beatrix, Peter Rabbit and his sparrows) making it really hard for mafia to fake claim. Mattrodstrom, the JOAT, theoretically could have killed a townie, which would have made things more even, but he targeted LoR.

I tried to balance the game a bit by having medic1's sparrow role block people each NP, assuming he'd role block townies mostly, but then mafia killed him early.

This reminds me a bit of askbob's Brother's Grimm game, that made things too easy on town because a lot of the roles confirmed each other. The game was very educational, like that game, theme was interesting, but the game mechanics were a bit heavy-handed and town biased.

I hope you all enjoyed the game and learned something. Peace out.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2011 1:08:58 AM
Not to be unfair, but the game balance made the town pretty strong.

For example, on NP 1, we had a 2/5 chance of a successful kill, we failed. This is what prompted me to create the animal / character list. However, the doc protected the vig (Marcus pointed this out but I was a bit slow DP 3...) , Matt, meaning another DP gone. We then tried to kill Peter Rabbit (to get our fifth Mafia player who we'd only just learnt about), and so didn't target Mestari or Social as we thought they were linked (say, Floppy's relatives) . I must commend Social for bravely attacking Lickdafoot despite her saying she was PGO by the way.

Then things rather spiralled out of control for the Mafia. In 1 fell swoop we lost Lickdafoot and myself. I think if Matt wasn't so sharp as to kill me then maybe the Mafia could have sweet talked the town into questionable lynches but it didn't work out. Then the town used my 'false conviction' (actually was meant to prove me in the case he died first / add an element of truth to his claim by me checking him) of Marcus to lynch him, more bad luck.

Then the rest of the game the Mafia was found out due to linked roles. Note that once we killed 2 or 3 animals the Mafia could only kill once every 2 night phases as the only remaining animal was Social?

Still, the town did expose people like myself and made the right moves to stay on track and win, so for that I congratulate the town.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2011 9:46:47 AM
At 10/8/2011 1:08:58 AM, Logic_on_rails wrote:

For example, on NP 1, we had a 2/5 chance of a successful kill, we failed. This is what prompted me to create the animal / character list. However, the doc protected the vig (Marcus pointed this out but I was a bit slow DP 3...) , Matt, meaning another DP gone. We then tried to kill Peter Rabbit (to get our fifth Mafia player who we'd only just learnt about), and so didn't target Mestari or Social as we thought they were linked (say, Floppy's relatives) . I must commend Social for bravely attacking Lickdafoot despite her saying she was PGO by the way.

I didn't know she was Mr. McGreggor and she only died because I visited the garden three times(trying to meet other confirmed townies).
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2011 3:58:33 PM
I have to say, lickdafoot played really well - the PGO claim was clutch since it insured that the mafia didn't accidentally target their own.

LoR's list of animals and people was a really good idea as well

I know game balance sucked. When initially looking at the game, the game mechanics looked REALLY complicated, so I didn't want to change them too much because: 1) it's askbob's game and I wanted to stay mostly faithful to his wishes, 2) I didn't know enough about Peter Rabbit/the botanical society to make new roles and didn't want to spend lots of time doing so, and 3) I had a hard time picturing how all this would play out.

BUT, mafia could have theoretically won this by DP3. Town is usually obsessed with vanilla claims and there were essentially three vanillas - Norman should be included since mafia could easily fake claim getting Beatrix's stories, esp. since Norman in this game didn't even bother making minor edits to prove himself.

So if mafia had got town to lynch any of those vanillas and mattrodstrom (the JOAT) had killed a townie, mafia would have won.

There are simply some games where mafia either has an easy up front victory, but if they lose 2 members, they lose the game. This is one of those games. Knowing that, future mafias should try really hard to win as quickly as possible.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2011 4:08:47 PM
At 10/8/2011 3:58:33 PM, bluesteel wrote:

I know game balance sucked. When initially looking at the game, the game mechanics looked REALLY complicated, so I didn't want to change them too much because: 1) it's askbob's game and I wanted to stay mostly faithful to his wishes, 2) I didn't know enough about Peter Rabbit/the botanical society to make new roles and didn't want to spend lots of time doing so, and 3) I had a hard time picturing how all this would play out.

BUT, mafia could have theoretically won this by DP3. Town is usually obsessed with vanilla claims and there were essentially three vanillas - Norman should be included since mafia could easily fake claim getting Beatrix's stories, esp. since Norman in this game didn't even bother making minor edits to prove himself.

So if mafia had got town to lynch any of those vanillas and mattrodstrom (the JOAT) had killed a townie, mafia would have won.

There are simply some games where mafia either has an easy up front victory, but if they lose 2 members, they lose the game. This is one of those games. Knowing that, future mafias should try really hard to win as quickly as possible.

I think one thing to consider is that we couldn't push lynches early when we had only 2 initially active Mafia (myself and Marcus, Badger and whoever it was weren't active) , meaning we couldn't go for a quick win and couldn't really influence things how we'd have wished. I tried to make up for that and was doing well but this led to my death. You're also assuming we hit people in each of the NPs (which didn't happen, was why I came up with my list) .

Also, I still don't get the garden thing. Did Social have to pick who he thought was Mcgreggor or did his role automatically attack the garden regardless of his knowledge?

I should also thank Askbob for creating this game, although it has similarities to the Brother Grimm game where town was over powered (in my view) . Shame Askbob couldn't mod.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2011 4:17:46 PM
social did not have to target a particular person. McGreggor died from starvation because social destroyed his garden