Total Posts:50|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Sign ups for new mafia players

medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2011 11:48:41 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Hello new members, and welcome to DDO. You've probably noticed "mafia" being thrown around the site but don't understand any of it and have avoided playing games for fear of looking silly and losing, but joining in these beginner games will prepare you to compete against the regulars. The following will give you a basic look at how mafia is played.

Mafia is a forum game. It is started by a moderator, or a user who decides to start a game.

The moderator then conducts "signups" where people put there name onto a list. Then once all people have signed up, the moderator randomly assigns 1/3 (roughly) of the players onto the mafia team, and then the other 2/3 are signed onto the townie team. None of the teams are announced but are done individually through Private Messages or PMs.

There are two phases in mafia: The day phase and the night phase.

The townies do not know what team any other player is on. However the mafia know who is on their team and can communicate with them in one group private message set up by the moderator. The mafia can communicate in this PM throughout the entire game. Usually the mafia get to "kill" a player during the "night phase"

Basically, the mafia decide as a whole who they want to remove from the game. Once they decide, the "night phase" is over and the day phase begins. During the night phase no one may post in the forum.

During the day phase everyone can post in the forum. All players decide to "lynch", or kill, one player during the day phase. This is decided democratically via votes. Mafia members are included in the day phase votes. Their job is to blend in and fool the townies into thinking that they are townies, as well. Don't trust anyone, until you can be sure they aren't mafia.

A majority of votes are needed to lynch a player. Once the player has been lynched he is removed from the game and the night phase begins.

Whoever survives at the end is the winner.

Some quick things to know:

1. The night phase is not done actually at "night" in real life. It just is a name for a part of the game where the mafia decide on who to remove from the game.

2. The day phase is not necessarily done during the "day" in real life. It is just a name for a part of the game where the entire group decides on who to remove from the game.

3. The mafia are unknown to the townies

4. Other townies are unknown to the townies.

5. The mafia know who the mafia are.

6. The mafia, via process of elimination, know who the townies are.

7. When the mafia decide to remove someone during the night phase it is known as a "night kill"

8. When all the players decide during the day phase to vote someone out of the game it is known as a "lynch"

9. Games last as long or as quickly as it takes for players to make decisions on their votes.

10. Votes can be changed until a majority is met.

11. Sometimes other powers are thrown in to mix things up however this is generally the theme.

We will be conducting a series of three beginner games, with each game becoming a little more difficult, and adding a new element of the game. The first game will be very basic, just to introduce you to the game. The moderator will explain every part of the game, and you will have a private message set up with the mod, so that you can ask all the questions you want, in private. Once you get into the regular games, the mod may, or may not, be able to answer your question, so the three training games is the time to ask. The only stupid questions are the ones that you don't ask. Essentially this is training for new members who wish to try out mafia.

This is for any beginner who has not graduated in the previous set of beginner games, and 1 or 2 players who graduated but who only played 2 games last time. If you'd like to give it a shot, just reply to this post and add your username beside a number. Good luck and have fun!!

New Players
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.

When you sign up, please send me a friend request. If anyone has any questions let me know.
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2011 11:51:27 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
1. tvellalott
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.

Interested to see what this 'mafia' business is all about.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 12:02:03 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/11/2011 11:51:27 PM, tvellalott wrote:
1. tvellalott
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.

Interested to see what this 'mafia' business is all about.

Clown...lol
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 12:04:39 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
If tv's signing up, I want in. Am I allowed? I'm not exactly new to the game as you're aware.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 12:15:47 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'm not signing up, but as I used to say to askbob; I'm always down to fill spots or replace people. Having an experienced player can help, or it can be daunting.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Logic_on_rails
Posts: 2,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 12:36:48 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'm always able to help out with these games. I know that experienced players are key to instructing the beginners, but they also then become viewed as serious threats...

Essentially, experienced players should be used in careful moderation and with extremely weak roles!
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 12:45:12 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
New Players

1. F-16 Falcon (since you only played one beginner game last round)
2. Crede
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.

Replacements/Experienced Players

1. Tvellalot
2. Blackhawk
3.
4.
5.
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 12:49:10 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
New Players

1. F-16 Falcon (since you only played one beginner game last round)
2. Crede
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.

Replacements/Experienced Players

1. Tvellalot
2. Blackhawk
3. Logic
4.
5.

Sorry Logic, I didn't see your post before I added the names.
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 12:53:26 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/12/2011 12:12:19 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Yep. Me too. Medic, you are an awesome Mod and you got me totally addicted to something that 2 weeks ago, I had no idea even existed!

Thanks, I really appreciate that and I'm glad you're enjoying playing.

If you guys have any friends who want to play tell them to come sign up and try it out.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 9:49:48 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/12/2011 12:36:48 AM, Logic_on_rails wrote:
I'm always able to help out with these games. I know that experienced players are key to instructing the beginners, but they also then become viewed as serious threats...

Essentially, experienced players should be used in careful moderation and with extremely weak roles!

That's what we want the rookies to think, lol.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 12:17:20 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
When I first joined the site Askbob invited me to play in a beginner game but I completely lost interest and got replaced.
Then a while later I asked askbob to put me in the next beginner game. He put me in a game that had already been going and that wasn't even for beginners. Then he got banned so the game stopped right in the middle of it.

I haven't had good experiences with mafia, but I think I'll give it another shot.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 1:04:00 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/12/2011 12:17:20 PM, phantom wrote:
When I first joined the site Askbob invited me to play in a beginner game but I completely lost interest and got replaced.
Then a while later I asked askbob to put me in the next beginner game. He put me in a game that had already been going and that wasn't even for beginners. Then he got banned so the game stopped right in the middle of it.

I haven't had good experiences with mafia, but I think I'll give it another shot.

Good, we'll try to make this go round more enjoyable.
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 1:05:57 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
New Players

1. F-16 Falcon (since you only played one beginner game last round)
2. Crede
3. Phantom
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.

Replacements/Experienced Players

1. Tvellalot
2. Blackhawk
3. Logic
4.
5.
BlackVoid
Posts: 9,170
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 1:12:24 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
New Players

1. F-16 Falcon (since you only played one beginner game last round)
2. Crede
3. Phantom
4. Blackvoid
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.

Replacements/Experienced Players

1. Tvellalot
2. Blackhawk
3. Logic
4.
5.

Somehow I've been here a year but never played mafia. The only problem I see is that most of the intelligent new members already completed the other beginner games. I don't know of many other new people who we can be sure would commit.
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 1:26:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/12/2011 1:12:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
New Players

1. F-16 Falcon (since you only played one beginner game last round)
2. Crede
3. Phantom
4. Blackvoid
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.

Replacements/Experienced Players

1. Tvellalot
2. Blackhawk
3. Logic
4.
5.

Somehow I've been here a year but never played mafia. The only problem I see is that most of the intelligent new members already completed the other beginner games. I don't know of many other new people who we can be sure would commit.

Some may choose not to commit but hopefully we can make it fun enough that they want to stick around. Glad to have you aboard.
PartamRuhem
Posts: 1,559
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 1:48:54 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
New Players

1. F-16 Falcon (since you only played one beginner game last round)
2. Crede
3. Phantom
4. Blackvoid
5. PartamRuhem
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.

Replacements/Experienced Players

1. Tvellalot
2. Blackhawk
3. Logic
4.
5.

I am the same as Blackvoid...been on this site for some time, but mafia always confused me. I'm interested to see how this game works out.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 1:50:43 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
New Players

1. F-16 Falcon (since you only played one beginner game last round)
2. Crede
3. Phantom
4. Blackvoid
5. PartamRuhem
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.

Replacements/Experienced Players

1. Tvellalot
2. Blackhawk
3. Logic
4. Socialpinko
5.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Lickdafoot
Posts: 5,599
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 2:03:17 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
New Players

1. F-16 Falcon (since you only played one beginner game last round)
2. Crede
3. Phantom
4. Blackvoid
5. PartamRuhem
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.

Replacements/Experienced Players

1. Tvellalot
2. Blackhawk
3. Logic
4. Socialpinko
5. Lickdafoot

I guess i'm considered experienced now lol. I really like medic's game style so i will probably sign up for any games of his that i see. :)
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 2:04:11 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/12/2011 1:48:54 PM, PartamRuhem wrote:
New Players

1. F-16 Falcon (since you only played one beginner game last round)
2. Crede
3. Phantom
4. Blackvoid
5. PartamRuhem
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.

Replacements/Experienced Players

1. Tvellalot
2. Blackhawk
3. Logic
4.
5.

I am the same as Blackvoid...been on this site for some time, but mafia always confused me. I'm interested to see how this game works out.

The good thing about the beginner games is that the mod will answer questions during the game, that in a normal game wouldn't be answered. By the end of the first game you guys should have a good feel for the basics. Then the second game we'll make a little more difficult, but at the same time it'll seem easier to you because you'll have the basics down. Then the third game is a tough one. Once you get through that one, you'll be ready to challenge the big dogs. If you have time before the games start, I suggest studying up on the different roles. Here is a site with a good list of roles.

http://www.glbwiki.com...
Spritle
Posts: 556
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 2:06:00 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
New Players

1. F-16 Falcon (since you only played one beginner game last round)
2. Crede
3. Phantom
4. Blackvoid
5. PartamRuhem
6. Spritle
7.
8.
9.
10.

Replacements/Experienced Players

1. Tvellalot
2. Blackhawk
3. Logic
4. Socialpinko
5. Lickdafoot

New to the site and this game. Seems like a cool idea!
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 2:12:02 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/12/2011 2:06:00 PM, Spritle wrote:
New Players

1. F-16 Falcon (since you only played one beginner game last round)
2. Crede
3. Phantom
4. Blackvoid
5. PartamRuhem
6. Spritle
7.
8.
9.
10.

Replacements/Experienced Players

1. Tvellalot
2. Blackhawk
3. Logic
4. Socialpinko
5. Lickdafoot


New to the site and this game. Seems like a cool idea!

Welcome aboard, hope you enjoy it.
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 4:57:11 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/12/2011 2:52:57 PM, Crede wrote:
Medic are you the mod for these games, and if so will you pm us when and where thy start?

Yes and yes.
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 6:15:40 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/12/2011 2:06:00 PM, Spritle wrote:
New Players

1. F-16 Falcon (since you only played one beginner game last round)
2. Crede
3. Phantom
4. Blackvoid
5. PartamRuhem
6. Spritle
7.
8.
9.
10.

Replacements/Experienced Players

1. Tvellalot
2. Blackhawk
3. Logic
4. Socialpinko
5. Lickdafoot


New to the site and this game. Seems like a cool idea!

Medic, am I allowed to play in this game?
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 6:17:43 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/12/2011 6:15:40 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 10/12/2011 2:06:00 PM, Spritle wrote:
New Players

1. F-16 Falcon (since you only played one beginner game last round)
2. Crede
3. Phantom
4. Blackvoid
5. PartamRuhem
6. Spritle
7.
8.
9.
10.

Replacements/Experienced Players

1. Tvellalot
2. Blackhawk
3. Logic
4. Socialpinko
5. Lickdafoot


New to the site and this game. Seems like a cool idea!

Medic, am I allowed to play in this game?
Never mind, I will act as a replacement...
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 7:27:20 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/12/2011 6:15:40 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 10/12/2011 2:06:00 PM, Spritle wrote:
New Players

1. F-16 Falcon (since you only played one beginner game last round)
2. Crede
3. Phantom
4. Blackvoid
5. PartamRuhem
6. Spritle
7.
8.
9.
10.

Replacements/Experienced Players

1. Tvellalot
2. Blackhawk
3. Logic
4. Socialpinko
5. Lickdafoot


New to the site and this game. Seems like a cool idea!

Medic, am I allowed to play in this game?

If you think you need another round of beginner games then I don't see why not.
Mestari
Posts: 4,656
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 7:41:06 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/12/2011 7:27:20 PM, medic0506 wrote:
At 10/12/2011 6:15:40 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 10/12/2011 2:06:00 PM, Spritle wrote:
New Players

1. F-16 Falcon (since you only played one beginner game last round)
2. Crede
3. Phantom
4. Blackvoid
5. PartamRuhem
6. Spritle
7.
8.
9.
10.

Replacements/Experienced Players

1. Tvellalot
2. Blackhawk
3. Logic
4. Socialpinko
5. Lickdafoot


New to the site and this game. Seems like a cool idea!

Medic, am I allowed to play in this game?

If you think you need another round of beginner games then I don't see why not.

Am I a beginner? *Puppy Dog Eyes* If not, you can put me in as a replacement.
Rules of Mafia

1. Mestari is never third party.
2. If Mestari claims an intricate and page long TP role, he's telling the truth.
3. Mestari always jointly wins with the town.
3b. If he doesn't he's mafia.
3c. If he was mafia you wouldn't suspect him in the first place.
4. If you lynch Mestari you will lose because he will be the third party Doctor or some other townie power role.
5. DP1 lynches are good.
6. The answer is always no.
Logic_on_rails
Posts: 2,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 7:46:30 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Medic, I'd suggest if you need replacements that you use the chance to hone your current graduates' persuasive skills. Ie. Let somebody like Blackhawk play over me.

I'm still happy to play, but I can see currently that beginners need persuasive skills. This gives a good chance for players who've got the roles down to hone their skills against newer players.

Just my opinion of course.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it