Total Posts:245|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Dexter Mafia - DP1

bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 2:55:51 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
It is a beautiful day in the city of Miami, where the concepts of good and evil are about to become hopelessly intertwined…

Who is the trickiest trickster in the trick house? Beware: it may be your mod. Don't trust your eyes or ears or even your rational thoughts – trust your gut.

Happy hunting, amigos!

Active players
1. Andromeda
2. NERDYKILLER
3. tvellalott
4. Spritle
5. F-16_Fighting_Falcon
6. Raisor
7. Mestari
8. Blackvoid
9. PartamRuhem
10. Medic
11. Lickdafoot
12. Rusty
13. Blackhawk1331
14. Headphonegut
15. mongeese
16. socialpinko
17. mongoose
18. M.Torres
19. Korashk
20. marcuscato
21. drafterman
22. Chrysippus
23. Man-is-good
24. logic_on_rails

It takes 13 votes to lynch.

Also, if you have a night action, please submit it during the day phase, whenever you make up your mind about how to use your role. It will make the night phases go much quicker.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 3:03:16 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I win with the town. Figure we should get a few pressures in and then NL right? VTL drafterman for character claim. I'm pretty sure this is his first game, perhaps he'll make a slip up as a mafioso?
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 3:07:03 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/9/2011 3:03:16 PM, socialpinko wrote:
I win with the town. Figure we should get a few pressures in and then NL right? VTL drafterman for character claim. I'm pretty sure this is his first game, perhaps he'll make a slip up as a mafioso?

Taking heat already! Forgive me if I play a little catch up with the lingo (character claim? Encourage me to vouch for my allegiance?)

I, too, win with the town. The town's people are my people.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 3:09:43 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/9/2011 3:07:03 PM, drafterman wrote:
At 11/9/2011 3:03:16 PM, socialpinko wrote:
I win with the town. Figure we should get a few pressures in and then NL right? VTL drafterman for character claim. I'm pretty sure this is his first game, perhaps he'll make a slip up as a mafioso?

Taking heat already! Forgive me if I play a little catch up with the lingo (character claim? Encourage me to vouch for my allegiance?)

I, too, win with the town. The town's people are my people.

Saying that you win with the town is in case their is an LD(lie detector) to test for your allegiance. Character claim is the character you were assigned. It does not mean you need to divulge your role.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 3:12:16 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I win with the town. I'll be on more later.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
Lickdafoot
Posts: 5,599
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 3:18:04 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Hi everyone. I've never played with a group so large before! Maybe it would be a good idea to start dp 1 with a mass character claim? this would give us a good idea who is reluctant to character claim, or who might claim a character someone else has. This way, by the time next dp comes around, we can focus on the role claims for pressure. What does everyone think of this idea? I've never watched dexter before. I am not sure how closely my role is tied to my character.

I win with the town.
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 3:19:24 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/9/2011 3:18:04 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
Hi everyone. I've never played with a group so large before! Maybe it would be a good idea to start dp 1 with a mass character claim? this would give us a good idea who is reluctant to character claim, or who might claim a character someone else has. This way, by the time next dp comes around, we can focus on the role claims for pressure. What does everyone think of this idea? I've never watched dexter before. I am not sure how closely my role is tied to my character.

I win with the town.

I say, Ladies first. :)
M.Torres
Posts: 3,626
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 3:19:58 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/9/2011 3:18:04 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
Hi everyone. I've never played with a group so large before! Maybe it would be a good idea to start dp 1 with a mass character claim? this would give us a good idea who is reluctant to character claim, or who might claim a character someone else has. This way, by the time next dp comes around, we can focus on the role claims for pressure. What does everyone think of this idea? I've never watched dexter before. I am not sure how closely my role is tied to my character.

I win with the town.

This.

I've never seen Dexter. So I almost feel like character claiming off the bat.

I win with the town.

I need to think a bit about this first though... Maybe we should start, before anything, by saying how familiar we are with this series?
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 3:20:53 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I win with the town as well...

I'll be on later, since I've just arrived at home...with a couple of homework to complete...
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
M.Torres
Posts: 3,626
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 3:21:44 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Also take about new players. My god. I think this is the third large game I've been in, and already it's a bunch of players I've only seen in the Newbie games.

Pleasure to meet you. My name's M.Torres. Famous for shady playing, withholding plans, and big slip-ups (though recently its gotten better - but Bluesteel is never gonna let me forget about it).
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 3:24:18 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'm very familiar with the series and anyone not familiar can simply check the Wikipedia page. It has a pretty detailed summary of the entire show. I don't think we should all claim at this point. Anyone who knows a lot about the show I think will be able to match roles with characters including the mafia. My role matches well with my character. I think for now we should just proceed normally with a few pressures and then no lynch if we don't find anything useful.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 3:24:21 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
VOTE COUNT

drafterman - 2/13 - spinko, lickdafoot
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
M.Torres
Posts: 3,626
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 3:27:16 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
A few thoughts:

1) This is a series based RP. This means that the villains are typically Mafia, and main characters powerful townies. ALWAYS be suspicious of minor characters being claimed. Unless there was help from the Mod, it'll be hard to cover up character claims.

2) In this sense, a mass character claim could be a good idea. Mafia only get one kill a night after all, and in large games we need speed over cautiousness when time only gives Mafia the advantage.

3) We NEED to know who know's Dexter and who doesn't. This is important. I assure you.

4) This sort of goes back to my first thought... Blue is a good mod. He and Askbob are on similar levels. This is a problem right now, however. Askbob usually avoided pure series games due to the first point I brought up - Mafia is easy to discover. This means, although it is a series game, Blue could easily have means to make it not so black-and-white. Remember this at all times, although because it IS a series game, we can only assume it'll follow typical series games.
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.
M.Torres
Posts: 3,626
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 3:28:12 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/9/2011 3:24:18 PM, socialpinko wrote:
I'm very familiar with the series and anyone not familiar can simply check the Wikipedia page. It has a pretty detailed summary of the entire show. I don't think we should all claim at this point. Anyone who knows a lot about the show I think will be able to match roles with characters including the mafia. My role matches well with my character. I think for now we should just proceed normally with a few pressures and then no lynch if we don't find anything useful.

Why though? Normally a no lynch is done to discover how the Mafia is decided. Are there not significant protagonists in the game we cannot assume are de facto Mafia?
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 3:29:56 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/9/2011 3:27:16 PM, M.Torres wrote:
4) This sort of goes back to my first thought... Blue is a good mod. He and Askbob are on similar levels. This is a problem right now, however. Askbob usually avoided pure series games due to the first point I brought up - Mafia is easy to discover. This means, although it is a series game, Blue could easily have means to make it not so black-and-white. Remember this at all times, although because it IS a series game, we can only assume it'll follow typical series games.

I will say now that my character can be viewed as good or bad in the series which leads me to believe it isn't really black and white.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 3:30:58 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/9/2011 3:27:16 PM, M.Torres wrote:
A few thoughts:

1) This is a series based RP. This means that the villains are typically Mafia, and main characters powerful townies. ALWAYS be suspicious of minor characters being claimed. Unless there was help from the Mod, it'll be hard to cover up character claims.

2) In this sense, a mass character claim could be a good idea. Mafia only get one kill a night after all, and in large games we need speed over cautiousness when time only gives Mafia the advantage.

3) We NEED to know who know's Dexter and who doesn't. This is important. I assure you.

Do you mean whose characters would know Dexter according to the series or who here knows who has the Dexter character?


4) This sort of goes back to my first thought... Blue is a good mod. He and Askbob are on similar levels. This is a problem right now, however. Askbob usually avoided pure series games due to the first point I brought up - Mafia is easy to discover. This means, although it is a series game, Blue could easily have means to make it not so black-and-white. Remember this at all times, although because it IS a series game, we can only assume it'll follow typical series games.
M.Torres
Posts: 3,626
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 3:33:10 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/9/2011 3:29:56 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 11/9/2011 3:27:16 PM, M.Torres wrote:
4) This sort of goes back to my first thought... Blue is a good mod. He and Askbob are on similar levels. This is a problem right now, however. Askbob usually avoided pure series games due to the first point I brought up - Mafia is easy to discover. This means, although it is a series game, Blue could easily have means to make it not so black-and-white. Remember this at all times, although because it IS a series game, we can only assume it'll follow typical series games.

I will say now that my character can be viewed as good or bad in the series which leads me to believe it isn't really black and white.

This is what I'm wondering, and why my lack of knowledge does not help. Also why I asked: are there any de facto villains/antagonists?

Let's assume Dexter is Town. Then his allies in the show are probably Town, and his antagonists are Mafia. Who are the show's biggest antagonists?
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.
M.Torres
Posts: 3,626
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 3:33:52 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/9/2011 3:30:58 PM, drafterman wrote:
At 11/9/2011 3:27:16 PM, M.Torres wrote:
A few thoughts:

1) This is a series based RP. This means that the villains are typically Mafia, and main characters powerful townies. ALWAYS be suspicious of minor characters being claimed. Unless there was help from the Mod, it'll be hard to cover up character claims.

2) In this sense, a mass character claim could be a good idea. Mafia only get one kill a night after all, and in large games we need speed over cautiousness when time only gives Mafia the advantage.

3) We NEED to know who know's Dexter and who doesn't. This is important. I assure you.

Do you mean whose characters would know Dexter according to the series or who here knows who has the Dexter character?

No, I mean who is familiar with Dexter the series, and to what extent.



4) This sort of goes back to my first thought... Blue is a good mod. He and Askbob are on similar levels. This is a problem right now, however. Askbob usually avoided pure series games due to the first point I brought up - Mafia is easy to discover. This means, although it is a series game, Blue could easily have means to make it not so black-and-white. Remember this at all times, although because it IS a series game, we can only assume it'll follow typical series games.
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.
Rusty
Posts: 2,109
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 3:34:01 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/9/2011 3:29:56 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 11/9/2011 3:27:16 PM, M.Torres wrote:
4) This sort of goes back to my first thought... Blue is a good mod. He and Askbob are on similar levels. This is a problem right now, however. Askbob usually avoided pure series games due to the first point I brought up - Mafia is easy to discover. This means, although it is a series game, Blue could easily have means to make it not so black-and-white. Remember this at all times, although because it IS a series game, we can only assume it'll follow typical series games.

I will say now that my character can be viewed as good or bad in the series which leads me to believe it isn't really black and white.

I'm only on season 1, but the fact that the mod said something about the concepts of good and bad getting tangled up, along with the whole thing about the main character being a serial killer makes me suspicious about whether or not it's that black and white.
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 3:34:54 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I win with the town.

Seeing as how the roles seem to be tied to the characters, thus easy to figure out, we might want to be cautious with bringing out claims. I'm not sure that a mass claim is a good idea for the town. That could make our power roles easy targets for nk's.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 3:36:39 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/9/2011 3:33:10 PM, M.Torres wrote:
At 11/9/2011 3:29:56 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 11/9/2011 3:27:16 PM, M.Torres wrote:
4) This sort of goes back to my first thought... Blue is a good mod. He and Askbob are on similar levels. This is a problem right now, however. Askbob usually avoided pure series games due to the first point I brought up - Mafia is easy to discover. This means, although it is a series game, Blue could easily have means to make it not so black-and-white. Remember this at all times, although because it IS a series game, we can only assume it'll follow typical series games.

I will say now that my character can be viewed as good or bad in the series which leads me to believe it isn't really black and white.

This is what I'm wondering, and why my lack of knowledge does not help. Also why I asked: are there any de facto villains/antagonists?

Let's assume Dexter is Town. Then his allies in the show are probably Town, and his antagonists are Mafia. Who are the show's biggest antagonists?

To Dexter, the Trinity Killer, the Ice Truck Killer(depending on the way you look at it), Lila, and Sergeant Doakes(also depending on how you look at it) were big antagonists.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
M.Torres
Posts: 3,626
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 3:36:48 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/9/2011 3:34:01 PM, Rusty wrote:
At 11/9/2011 3:29:56 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 11/9/2011 3:27:16 PM, M.Torres wrote:
4) This sort of goes back to my first thought... Blue is a good mod. He and Askbob are on similar levels. This is a problem right now, however. Askbob usually avoided pure series games due to the first point I brought up - Mafia is easy to discover. This means, although it is a series game, Blue could easily have means to make it not so black-and-white. Remember this at all times, although because it IS a series game, we can only assume it'll follow typical series games.

I will say now that my character can be viewed as good or bad in the series which leads me to believe it isn't really black and white.

I'm only on season 1, but the fact that the mod said something about the concepts of good and bad getting tangled up, along with the whole thing about the main character being a serial killer makes me suspicious about whether or not it's that black and white.

I accept all the above. Here's the issue though: morality is irrelevant of the story. Obviously this is not a "black-and-white" game, since the characters are not "black-and-white" because the premise of the show is based on morality and it's "black-and-white"ness, no?

So let's stop thinking about "good and evil". That will get us nowhere. Instead, remember this is a SERIES game, therefore it is likely that the show's protagonists (regardless of their morality) are likely town and their antagonists (hell, it could be a good cop) are bad.

So who are the major PROtagonists and the major ANTAgonists? It's more likely based on the character's relations than their actual morality.
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 3:37:13 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I win with the town. I've never watched Dexter but this seems to be an interesting game.

I don't think it is a good idea to get a mass character claim. The characters and roles seem to be intimately tied. A character claim is almost as bad as a role-claim. A mass character claim will leave all the roles exposed to the mafia.
Chrysippus
Posts: 2,173
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 3:39:02 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/9/2011 3:18:04 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
Hi everyone. I've never played with a group so large before! Maybe it would be a good idea to start dp 1 with a mass character claim? this would give us a good idea who is reluctant to character claim, or who might claim a character someone else has. This way, by the time next dp comes around, we can focus on the role claims for pressure. What does everyone think of this idea? I've never watched dexter before. I am not sure how closely my role is tied to my character.

I win with the town.

Mass character claims rarely help the town, because they force the main town roles to reveal their characters to the mafia. Chances are good that the mafia can deduce your role from your character, especially since they know who is and isn't town. We have significantly less information to go on than they do, but we have time to get it in a game this large; and the normal method of pressuring random and suspicious players for claims helps us get that information slowly and with time to analyze it as we get it.

I never support a mass character claim early in the game. In the endgame, it's often helpful; right now, it can only hurt us.
Cavete mea inexorabilis legiones mimus!
Chrysippus
Posts: 2,173
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 3:40:41 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Oh, and I win with the town.

Haven't been here in a while; do people even include Lie Detectors in the games anymore? It seemed a rather broken role when I last played.
Cavete mea inexorabilis legiones mimus!
M.Torres
Posts: 3,626
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 3:41:55 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/9/2011 3:40:41 PM, Chrysippus wrote:
Oh, and I win with the town.

Haven't been here in a while; do people even include Lie Detectors in the games anymore? It seemed a rather broken role when I last played.

I don't see it anymore. I don't think I've ever been in a game with one. I've only had it mentioned.

Chrys, what's your familiarity with the show?
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.
Lickdafoot
Posts: 5,599
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 3:42:07 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/9/2011 3:39:02 PM, Chrysippus wrote:
At 11/9/2011 3:18:04 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
Hi everyone. I've never played with a group so large before! Maybe it would be a good idea to start dp 1 with a mass character claim? this would give us a good idea who is reluctant to character claim, or who might claim a character someone else has. This way, by the time next dp comes around, we can focus on the role claims for pressure. What does everyone think of this idea? I've never watched dexter before. I am not sure how closely my role is tied to my character.

I win with the town.

Mass character claims rarely help the town, because they force the main town roles to reveal their characters to the mafia. Chances are good that the mafia can deduce your role from your character, especially since they know who is and isn't town. We have significantly less information to go on than they do, but we have time to get it in a game this large; and the normal method of pressuring random and suspicious players for claims helps us get that information slowly and with time to analyze it as we get it.

I never support a mass character claim early in the game. In the endgame, it's often helpful; right now, it can only hurt us.

Yes, once I wikied my character, I realized that it would be a horrible idea to mass character claim. On to pressures?
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 3:42:08 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/9/2011 3:37:13 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
I win with the town. I've never watched Dexter but this seems to be an interesting game.

I don't think it is a good idea to get a mass character claim. The characters and roles seem to be intimately tied. A character claim is almost as bad as a role-claim. A mass character claim will leave all the roles exposed to the mafia.

Kind of suspicious of F-16 simply repeating what has already been said about three times. You reek of John Lithgow.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Lickdafoot
Posts: 5,599
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 3:43:47 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/9/2011 3:42:08 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 11/9/2011 3:37:13 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
I win with the town. I've never watched Dexter but this seems to be an interesting game.

I don't think it is a good idea to get a mass character claim. The characters and roles seem to be intimately tied. A character claim is almost as bad as a role-claim. A mass character claim will leave all the roles exposed to the mafia.

Kind of suspicious of F-16 simply repeating what has already been said about three times. You reek of John Lithgow.

I've noticed that from quite a few people so far.
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...