Total Posts:89|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Star Trek Mafia DP 1

blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2011 5:40:34 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
1. No copy/pasting period. Anyone doing so will be mod-killed.

2. No posting after the DP has ended.

3. All votes must be made in bold. If they aren't, they won't be counted.

4.Ask questions in your role PMs. I will answer them if I can.

3. Don't discuss the game outside of the forums or PMs created by me. If I discover that you have done so, you will be mod-killed.

Good luck to all and have fun.

At some point in the game, I will post a question. The first living player to answer the question will receive the option of three mystery gifts. They get to choose one of them.

The DP will end when a lynch or no lynch occurs. The NP will be 24 hours long.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2011 6:06:22 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
First to post is mafia psyche.

I'm going to VOTE drafterman, based on the Lwerd logic that they (newbs) don't respond to pressure as well.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2011 6:19:00 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/16/2011 6:06:22 AM, tvellalott wrote:
First to post is mafia psyche.

I'm going to VOTE drafterman, based on the Lwerd logic that they (newbs) don't respond to pressure as well.

Apparently you missed the dexter mafia. I'm a yeoman. Your turn. VTL tvellalott
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2011 6:24:26 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/16/2011 6:19:00 AM, drafterman wrote:
Apparently you missed the dexter mafia. I'm a yeoman. Your turn. VTL tvellalott

Apparently so. Why did you claim so quick? This is why we pressure newbs.
Gah. You should (as we will demonstrate if people think my pressure was unreasonable and I reach decent amount of votes) wait.
Having said that, WTF is a yeoman?

So according to this:
http://en.memory-alpha.org...
A yeoman is a rank...
Are you all the yeoman or some of the yeoman or just one of the yeoman?
I am an actual singular character. Please help me understand.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2011 6:35:20 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/16/2011 6:24:26 AM, tvellalott wrote:
At 11/16/2011 6:19:00 AM, drafterman wrote:
Apparently you missed the dexter mafia. I'm a yeoman. Your turn. VTL tvellalott

Apparently so. Why did you claim so quick? This is why we pressure newbs.
Gah. You should (as we will demonstrate if people think my pressure was unreasonable and I reach decent amount of votes) wait.

As it was explained to me, you should wait because too soon a claim may be suspicious. But who would fakeclaim a nameless character? Yes. I repeat: I am a nameless character.

Having said that, WTF is a yeoman?

So according to this:
http://en.memory-alpha.org...
A yeoman is a rank...
Are you all the yeoman or some of the yeoman or just one of the yeoman?

As far as I can tell, I'm a yeoman. No name, just a rank. I admit that part of my reason for claiming so quickly is the fact that I'm a big Trek fan and I couldn't even land a named character. I don't care about getting a major character or power role, but a nobody? I'm a a bit let down.

I am an actual singular character. Please help me understand.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2011 6:59:02 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I win with the Enterprise. I find it odd that TV didn't say it. In any case, the correct statement to make is "I win with the Enterprise," not "I win with the town." There is no way I could have known that because it is not mentioned anywhere except the townie role PMs. This confirms me and puts major FOS on TV and Drafterman. Anyway, I won't VTL them because I have to go. I will be back in the evening.
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2011 7:13:17 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/16/2011 6:59:02 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
I win with the Enterprise. I find it odd that TV didn't say it. In any case, the correct statement to make is "I win with the Enterprise," not "I win with the town." There is no way I could have known that because it is not mentioned anywhere except the townie role PMs. This confirms me and puts major FOS on TV and Drafterman. Anyway, I won't VTL them because I have to go. I will be back in the evening.

Very nice. Now anyone else that comes out is going to look like they're copying you. Which is clever, you have essentially confirmed yourself as town to all townies. Anyone that even attempts to vote against you will look scummy, unless this was an extraordinarly good guess. I can't say whether or not the "Win with Enterprise" could have been inferred from scum PMs, but I find it unlikely.

In any event, "I win with the Enterprise" for what it's worth. In a universe with telepaths, there is bound to be someone capable of validating such claims.
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2011 7:37:21 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Since it's early, and, between tv and F-16 I now have a great deal of suspcion on me. So I'll provide my thoughts and reasonings here. Maybe a brian dump like this is even more suspicious but, as a newb, I'm also looking for feed-back to help improve my game play.

I'm a yeoman. I know that this is an unlikely role, given that the entire character pool included all of the TV series and movies. Yet, that is what I am. I ask if anyone in their right mind would have even considered fake-claiming such a role. Yeomen are exclusively to the TOS-era trek, making them an even unlikier choice.

I wouldn't be surprised if these mystery gifts convey abilities on whoever has them (1-shot abilities, most likely) but, at the moment, I have no powers.

So, I'm a yeoman with no abilities.

As I said, I understand that coming out with this so soon is suspicious in and of itself, but the rank is suspicious in and of itself. tv's questions are very valid and would have come out no matter how long I waited. I simply imagined that wasting 100 posts of pressure to get me to claim would have resulted in a massive, "WTF, we wasted all that time for a yeoman?" and a lynch out of spite. Maybe I'll still be lynched anyway.

Does it make sense that I would fake as mafia? No. There are a ton of major protagonist characters across all the series and movies that I could have claimed one of them without too much a risk of a counter. Furthermore, DS9 is a bastion of morally ambiguous characters and characters with shifting loyalties. Prior to role assignment, I hypothesized what I would do in the event I needed to fake claim as mafia. My pick was Damar. He was a prominent leader and character for the Dominion (primary antagonists of DS9 post-season 3) but flipped and lead the resistance against said Dominion. Other good choices: Garak. Weyoun 6.

Does it make sense that I would fake as town (Enterprise) to hide a powerful role? No. Again, I believe there is a high chance of people capable of validating such claims. Star Trek is full of people with telepathic abilities (Betazoids, Vulcans). If being yeoman wasn't suspcious enough being a LYING yeoman is a death sentence.

I'm willing to field any questions, but I can only work with what I've got.
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2011 9:34:44 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/16/2011 6:35:20 AM, drafterman wrote:
At 11/16/2011 6:24:26 AM, tvellalott wrote:
At 11/16/2011 6:19:00 AM, drafterman wrote:
Apparently you missed the dexter mafia. I'm a yeoman. Your turn. VTL tvellalott

Apparently so. Why did you claim so quick? This is why we pressure newbs.
Gah. You should (as we will demonstrate if people think my pressure was unreasonable and I reach decent amount of votes) wait.

As it was explained to me, you should wait because too soon a claim may be suspicious. But who would fakeclaim a nameless character? Yes. I repeat: I am a nameless character.

Having said that, WTF is a yeoman?

So according to this:
http://en.memory-alpha.org...
A yeoman is a rank...
Are you all the yeoman or some of the yeoman or just one of the yeoman?

As far as I can tell, I'm a yeoman. No name, just a rank. I admit that part of my reason for claiming so quickly is the fact that I'm a big Trek fan and I couldn't even land a named character. I don't care about getting a major character or power role, but a nobody? I'm a a bit let down.



I am an actual singular character. Please help me understand.

I gave outthe roles at random.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2011 9:36:46 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/16/2011 7:25:22 AM, drafterman wrote:
Also, black, could we get an official list of active players with an "x many votes to lynch" statement?

Sh!t. I knew I forgot something, give me a few minutes.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2011 9:38:16 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
1) Andro
2) Medic
3) tvellalott
4) Squirtle (healed)
5) F16
6) bluesteel
7) drafterman
8) PartamRuhem
9) Blackvoid
10) Innomen
11) Lickdafoot
12)marcuscato
13) Logic_on_rails
14)Marauder

8 votes to lynch. Sorry bout that.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2011 10:47:25 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
VTL tvellalot

First post. Didn't say he won with the Enterprise. He's as good a target as any. Although maybe he was waiting to catch a mafioso in a slip up "I win with the town", which we can no longer do b/c of F16.

Not sure what to make of drafterman yet. Yeoman seems like a cc-proof claim, since it's so ambiguous. I could see him panicking and using his knowledge of Star Trek to claim something cc proof. The whole point of pressuring n00bs is b/c sometimes they flip out, panic, and claim something dumb. But his long-winded attempt at defending himself seems pretty genuine and reasoned, so it doesn't REALLY seem like he panicked. I dunno, we'll see.

It's not very pro-town for him to also soft claim not having a power role, since that makes the rest of us mafia targets. If he's vanilla, his goal should be to make mafia waste a kill on him. But again, I can't tell yet if that's a n00b mistake or a mafioso trying to soft claim a useless role so we don't expect a good role claim out of him later.

I win with the Enterprise.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2011 10:51:27 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/16/2011 10:47:25 AM, bluesteel wrote:
VTL tvellalot

First post. Didn't say he won with the Enterprise. He's as good a target as any. Although maybe he was waiting to catch a mafioso in a slip up "I win with the town", which we can no longer do b/c of F16.

Not sure what to make of drafterman yet. Yeoman seems like a cc-proof claim, since it's so ambiguous. I could see him panicking and using his knowledge of Star Trek to claim something cc proof. The whole point of pressuring n00bs is b/c sometimes they flip out, panic, and claim something dumb. But his long-winded attempt at defending himself seems pretty genuine and reasoned, so it doesn't REALLY seem like he panicked. I dunno, we'll see.

It's not very pro-town for him to also soft claim not having a power role, since that makes the rest of us mafia targets. If he's vanilla, his goal should be to make mafia waste a kill on him. But again, I can't tell yet if that's a n00b mistake or a mafioso trying to soft claim a useless role so we don't expect a good role claim out of him later.

I win with the Enterprise.

I think it depends on whether or not the mafia buy my soft-claim. If they don't buy it, then they'll assume I'm hiding some sort of powerful role, and will probably kill me, thus (I guess) fullfilling my purpose as a sacrifice.

Though I understand your reasoning. If they buy my claim, they concentrate on other, most likely more powerful people.
marcuscato
Posts: 738
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2011 10:54:07 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
VTL tvellalot
Unless its a really good claim(including role claim),real quick, we should lynch him.
I win with the enterprise.
marcuscato
Posts: 738
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2011 10:55:40 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/16/2011 7:37:21 AM, drafterman wrote:
Furthermore, DS9 is a bastion of morally ambiguous characters and characters with shifting loyalties. Prior to role assignment, I hypothesized what I would do in the event I needed to fake claim as mafia. My pick was Damar. He was a prominent leader and character for the Dominion (primary antagonists of DS9 post-season 3) but flipped and lead the resistance against said Dominion. Other good choices: Garak. Weyoun 6.

English?
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2011 10:57:26 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/16/2011 10:55:40 AM, marcuscato wrote:
At 11/16/2011 7:37:21 AM, drafterman wrote:
Furthermore, DS9 is a bastion of morally ambiguous characters and characters with shifting loyalties. Prior to role assignment, I hypothesized what I would do in the event I needed to fake claim as mafia. My pick was Damar. He was a prominent leader and character for the Dominion (primary antagonists of DS9 post-season 3) but flipped and lead the resistance against said Dominion. Other good choices: Garak. Weyoun 6.

English?

In short: There are are plenty of characters that would have provided a safe fake-claim, making it short of insanity for me to fake claim the (un)character that I did.
BlackVoid
Posts: 9,170
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2011 11:01:38 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Great tactic from F-16 there.

Doc should be on him tonight. It would be a good mafia move to kill the one confirmed townie in the game so that town is forced to speculate the rest of the game.

I know absolutely nothing about Star Trek so I can't give a solid opinion on drafterman's claim.

I win with the Enterprise.
BlackVoid
Posts: 9,170
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2011 11:02:19 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Something is wrong when the first thing I do on this site is check the DP rather than read my opponent's debate argument.
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2011 11:07:12 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/16/2011 10:54:07 AM, marcuscato wrote:
VTL tvellalot
Unless its a really good claim(including role claim),real quick, we should lynch him.
I win with the enterprise.

I'll get on the wagon and help pressure TV for a character claim ONLY, but I'm VTL'ing you next. What's up with wanting a role reveal and a lynch already??

VTL TV

I win with the enterprise.
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2011 11:16:11 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
agree with medic - marcus is way overeager for a lynch. Smells like n00b mafia.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
marcuscato
Posts: 738
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2011 11:22:10 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/16/2011 11:07:12 AM, medic0506 wrote:
At 11/16/2011 10:54:07 AM, marcuscato wrote:
VTL tvellalot
Unless its a really good claim(including role claim),real quick, we should lynch him.
I win with the enterprise.

I'll get on the wagon and help pressure TV for a character claim ONLY, but I'm VTL'ing you next. What's up with wanting a role reveal and a lynch already??

VTL TV

I win with the enterprise.

TV made a big mistake, why are you so eager to give him a lifeline? Ima VTL you next.
Is it that suspicious that i want a role reveal?
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2011 11:24:13 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/16/2011 11:22:10 AM, marcuscato wrote:
At 11/16/2011 11:07:12 AM, medic0506 wrote:
At 11/16/2011 10:54:07 AM, marcuscato wrote:
VTL tvellalot
Unless its a really good claim(including role claim),real quick, we should lynch him.
I win with the enterprise.

I'll get on the wagon and help pressure TV for a character claim ONLY, but I'm VTL'ing you next. What's up with wanting a role reveal and a lynch already??

VTL TV

I win with the enterprise.

TV made a big mistake, why are you so eager to give him a lifeline? Ima VTL you next.
Is it that suspicious that i want a role reveal?

I think it's the notion that you want a full claim "real quick" or we lynch him that has gotten the hair on people's necks up.
BlackVoid
Posts: 9,170
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2011 11:29:09 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Vote count

Drafterman - 1/8 - TV
TV - 5/8 - Drafterman, bluesteel, Marc, Medic, Blackvoid

I think thats enough pressure on TV for now. lets just wait til he logs on.
PartamRuhem
Posts: 1,559
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2011 11:40:20 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I would VTL tv but you guys seem to have enough pressure on him. Marc was pretty quick to want a lynch instead of just a role. He said let's pressure him and lynch him. Now he is saying he wants to pressure you as well medic. Weird...
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2011 11:53:31 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/16/2011 11:22:10 AM, marcuscato wrote:
At 11/16/2011 11:07:12 AM, medic0506 wrote:
At 11/16/2011 10:54:07 AM, marcuscato wrote:
VTL tvellalot
Unless its a really good claim(including role claim),real quick, we should lynch him.
I win with the enterprise.

I'll get on the wagon and help pressure TV for a character claim ONLY, but I'm VTL'ing you next. What's up with wanting a role reveal and a lynch already??

VTL TV

I win with the enterprise.

TV made a big mistake, why are you so eager to give him a lifeline? Ima VTL you next.
Is it that suspicious that i want a role reveal?

Ok if he made a mistake I missed it, what was it?? I know he didn't say he wins with the enterprise and that could be significant, but I don't think it's enough to force a role claim or consider a lynch already.
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2011 11:56:16 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/16/2011 11:22:10 AM, marcuscato wrote:
At 11/16/2011 11:07:12 AM, medic0506 wrote:
At 11/16/2011 10:54:07 AM, marcuscato wrote:
VTL tvellalot
Unless its a really good claim(including role claim),real quick, we should lynch him.
I win with the enterprise.

I'll get on the wagon and help pressure TV for a character claim ONLY, but I'm VTL'ing you next. What's up with wanting a role reveal and a lynch already??

VTL TV

I win with the enterprise.

TV made a big mistake, why are you so eager to give him a lifeline? Ima VTL you next.
Is it that suspicious that i want a role reveal?

If he made a mistake that I missed, then I'll reconsider, but yes it is suspicious that you want a role reveal already and even consider a lynch. Especially if it's just because he didn't say he wins with enterprise.
PartamRuhem
Posts: 1,559
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2011 12:05:42 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/16/2011 11:56:16 AM, medic0506 wrote:
At 11/16/2011 11:22:10 AM, marcuscato wrote:
At 11/16/2011 11:07:12 AM, medic0506 wrote:
At 11/16/2011 10:54:07 AM, marcuscato wrote:
VTL tvellalot
Unless its a really good claim(including role claim),real quick, we should lynch him.
I win with the enterprise.

I'll get on the wagon and help pressure TV for a character claim ONLY, but I'm VTL'ing you next. What's up with wanting a role reveal and a lynch already??

VTL TV

I win with the enterprise.

TV made a big mistake, why are you so eager to give him a lifeline? Ima VTL you next.
Is it that suspicious that i want a role reveal?

If he made a mistake that I missed, then I'll reconsider, but yes it is suspicious that you want a role reveal already and even consider a lynch. Especially if it's just because he didn't say he wins with enterprise.

kinda an overeager mafioso move, wouldn't you agree?