Jump to topic:

Beginner 3.1- Day Phase 3

medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2011 9:11:42 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
The mafia became angry following the death of Burnum and decided that Squirtle must die.

R.I.P.

Jm_notguilty- Number Two, town
Nerdykiller- Number One, town
EBurnum- Number Twelve, mafia
Squirtle- Number Seven, town

Active Players

Andromeda_Z
Blackhawk1331
16kadams
PartamRuhem
Lickdafoot
Lordknuckle
Mig
Drafterman
F-16 Fighting Falcon
JM_notguilty2

It takes 6 votes to lynch.
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2011 9:26:33 PM
they killed squirtle. This means oe of two things. They killed him because they were scared that he had their numbers figured out. Or the killed him because they knew he was wrong, so that town would assume he was correct and start lynching the wrong players. So let's look back at the list again, to get a better idea of potential mafia members, which could give us clues about their playing/killing style:

1Nerdykiller
2Jimnotguilty
3Andromeda_Z
4Blackhawk1331
516kadams
6PartamRuhem
7Squirtle
8Folgerlibrary
9Lordknuckle
10Mig
11Drafterman
12EburnhamIII
13F-16 Fighting Falcon

3, 6, 9 & 12. This is the likely combo. There is one experienced mafia member here (andro) but she has been highly unactive. PR has a few games under his belt, and LK is a newb. It seems to me that if these were the mafia, they might think it would be beneficial to kill Spritle, because he was correct, and without his influence on the town, town might start drifting away from that idea. Well i say it's time to continue putting that theory to the test. The theory has worked so far. It definitely beats out my theory, because Medic himself posted the numbers in the post. He wants this to be a fast game, as a game with no roles is not nearly as fun. Since andro has been least active, and she is experienced meaning she could guide the rest of the mafia on the best kill options, Vtl Andromeda
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2011 9:28:16 PM
At 11/21/2011 9:26:33 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
they killed squirtle. This means oe of two things. They killed him because they were scared that he had their numbers figured out. Or the killed him because they knew he was wrong, so that town would assume he was correct and start lynching the wrong players. So let's look back at the list again, to get a better idea of potential mafia members, which could give us clues about their playing/killing style:

1Nerdykiller
2Jimnotguilty
3Andromeda_Z
4Blackhawk1331
516kadams
6PartamRuhem
7Squirtle
8Folgerlibrary
9Lordknuckle
10Mig
11Drafterman
12EburnhamIII
13F-16 Fighting Falcon

3, 6, 9 & 12. This is the likely combo. There is one experienced mafia member here (andro) but she has been highly unactive. PR has a few games under his belt, and LK is a newb. It seems to me that if these were the mafia, they might think it would be beneficial to kill Spritle, because he was correct, and without his influence on the town, town might start drifting away from that idea. Well i say it's time to continue putting that theory to the test. The theory has worked so far. It definitely beats out my theory, because Medic himself posted the numbers in the post. He wants this to be a fast game, as a game with no roles is not nearly as fun. Since andro has been least active, and she is experienced meaning she could guide the rest of the mafia on the best kill options, Vtl Andromeda

Alright, let's keep it fast.
VTL Andro!
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2011 9:29:57 PM
Hello! Sorry for my inactivity. It's those evil term papers. Anyone want to give me a recap, or should I just read for myself?
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2011 9:32:37 PM
At 11/21/2011 9:26:33 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:

1Nerdykiller
2Jimnotguilty
3Andromeda_Z
4Blackhawk1331
516kadams
6PartamRuhem
7Squirtle
8Folgerlibrary
9Lordknuckle
10Mig
11Drafterman
12EburnhamIII
13F-16 Fighting Falcon

Exactly how would I do that if I wasn't online? I haven't logged on since at least Saturday afternoon, and even then I wasn't on for long. If I'm mafia and I'm meant to tutor the new mafiosos, I must be doing a really crummy job of it. Don't you think I'd have been replaced by now, or bussed?
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2011 9:34:41 PM
At 11/21/2011 9:28:16 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
VTL Andro!

Bandwagoning to prevent discussion? FOS on MiG, idk what's going on (I haven't had much time to catch up on the past DPs), but that seems like a huge scum tell unless I missed something critical. Did I?
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2011 9:36:26 PM
At 11/21/2011 9:32:37 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:

Exactly how would I do that if I wasn't online? I haven't logged on since at least Saturday afternoon, and even then I wasn't on for long. If I'm mafia and I'm meant to tutor the new mafiosos, I must be doing a really crummy job of it. Don't you think I'd have been replaced by now, or bussed?

yes andro, you weren't online to help mafia. That is why the killed spritle, who had the four mafia members figured out. What i meant is that you are experienced so you could potentially start helping them.

I forgive you for the inactivity, but i don't want to get rid of PR or LK when they both could use some more experience.
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2011 9:37:41 PM
oh, and, because he deserves this:

forgive me f-16, i was wrong!!! :)

you thoroughly convinced me of your townieness. town never would have stuck it out like that (except maybe mestari lol)
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2011 9:40:12 PM
At 11/21/2011 9:34:41 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
At 11/21/2011 9:28:16 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
VTL Andro!

Bandwagoning to prevent discussion? FOS on MiG, idk what's going on (I haven't had much time to catch up on the past DPs), but that seems like a huge scum tell unless I missed something critical. Did I?

UNVOTE.....

Sorry, but I do wish for the game to end......

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2011 9:43:17 PM
At 11/21/2011 9:40:12 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

UNVOTE.....

MIG, just a tip, not to offend you, but you are smart for your age so you need to know this. in this game you need to have BALLS. backing down on what you do just makes you look super suspicious.
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2011 9:43:28 PM
At 11/21/2011 9:36:26 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
At 11/21/2011 9:32:37 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:

yes andro, you weren't online to help mafia. That is why the killed spritle, who had the four mafia members figured out. What i meant is that you are experienced so you could potentially start helping them.

I forgive you for the inactivity, but i don't want to get rid of PR or LK when they both could use some more experience.

So...you're lynching me because I have experience (same could be said of you) and because of some weird numbers thing I'm still not quite sure about? I know you killed 12 and he was mafia, but exactly how does that make 3, 6, and 9 mafia? Maybe you explained this already, if so just point me to the post.
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2011 9:44:51 PM
At 11/21/2011 9:37:41 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
oh, and, because he deserves this:

forgive me f-16, i was wrong!!! :)

you thoroughly convinced me of your townieness. mafia never would have stuck it out like that (except maybe mestari lol)
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2011 9:44:52 PM
At 11/21/2011 9:43:17 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
At 11/21/2011 9:40:12 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

UNVOTE.....

MIG, just a tip, not to offend you, but you are smart for your age so you need to know this. in this game you need to have BALLS. backing down on what you do just makes you look super suspicious.

That would be helpful if only I could have a reason other than what I just posted.
(i.e. that was really the only true reason) But then again, thanks for the tip.

16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2011 9:48:24 PM
I think they killed him because he had the numbers, andro and knukle where on that list. So lets lynch one of them to see if his theory is correct.

VTL ANDRO
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2011 9:48:26 PM
At 11/21/2011 9:43:28 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
So...you're lynching me because I have experience (same could be said of you) and because of some weird numbers thing I'm still not quite sure about? I know you killed 12 and he was mafia, but exactly how does that make 3, 6, and 9 mafia? Maybe you explained this already, if so just point me to the post.

http://www.debate.org...

look at medic's first two posts. He first says that numbers are a clue. He then says the numbers right in the page. If you divide (roughly) 13 by 3 (for 1/3 of plays), those would be the four intervals.

This would be EXTREMELY unfair in a normal game, but this is the first beginner game. It's sole purpose is to get new players familiar with the game, and the lack of roles makes it very mafia-biased. The hint is to help us move it along quickly so that we could get this game done with.
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2011 9:55:51 PM
At 11/21/2011 9:48:26 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:

look at medic's first two posts. He first says that numbers are a clue. He then says the numbers right in the page. If you divide (roughly) 13 by 3 (for 1/3 of plays), those would be the four intervals.

This would be EXTREMELY unfair in a normal game, but this is the first beginner game. It's sole purpose is to get new players familiar with the game, and the lack of roles makes it very mafia-biased. The hint is to help us move it along quickly so that we could get this game done with.

You're right about a lack of roles making it mafia-biased, but don't you think even intervals are town-biased? It's only DP3 and you think you have it all figured out! Also, I really don't believe the point of this game is to just get it over with. Making it based on the numbers doesn't really teach mafia, there's no reading scum tells, no deductions based on who layers agree/disagree with, no tactics. Since Medic explicitly said "it's all in the numbers" I must be wrong about that to some degree, but he also said "I will give you one small hint though" right before that. SMALL hint, not reveal-all-the-mafia hint. Maybe the numbers reveal part of the mafia and the other part we have to find, which makes a lot more sense to me.
PartamRuhem
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2011 10:16:53 PM
At 11/21/2011 9:55:51 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:

You're right about a lack of roles making it mafia-biased, but don't you think even intervals are town-biased? It's only DP3 and you think you have it all figured out! Also, I really don't believe the point of this game is to just get it over with. Making it based on the numbers doesn't really teach mafia, there's no reading scum tells, no deductions based on who layers agree/disagree with, no tactics. Since Medic explicitly said "it's all in the numbers" I must be wrong about that to some degree, but he also said "I will give you one small hint though" right before that. SMALL hint, not reveal-all-the-mafia hint. Maybe the numbers reveal part of the mafia and the other part we have to find, which makes a lot more sense to me.

it does seem odd that a game meant to teach is a game that Medic wants to rush. I don't think it would be as easy as his random numbers he posted, nor do I think it would be beneficial to the newbies in this game. Andro, you might be on to something with the part of the mafia thing.

It's possible that medic gave some numbers that were false and others that were true, in order to give a more realistic showing of what mafia is (lies). Spritle's death is even more backing of this. As LDF said, it could be mafia trying to obviously lead the townies to lynch more townies.

Then again, Andro could be mafia and simply trying to redirect attention. While I know I am not mafia, thus making the theory inaccurate, it doesn't necessarily guarantee Andro for me.
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2011 10:16:56 PM

nah, i could very well be wrong, but it's worth trying. It is a small hint considering that up until i joined the game, not one guess was made concerning the numbers hint. And even when i came in, i had the clue completely wrong. (cheers to sprit, btw)

This game's purpose is to teach the basics. Mistakes will be made. It doesn't really matter which side gets the bias, except when you consider a mafia-bias could drap the day periods out for a long time. It's good to get this one through fast so that we can move on to the next game with tons of fun roles :)
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2011 10:19:36 PM
At 11/21/2011 10:16:53 PM, PartamRuhem wrote:

it does seem odd that a game meant to teach is a game that Medic wants to rush. I don't think it would be as easy as his random numbers he posted, nor do I think it would be beneficial to the newbies in this game. Andro, you might be on to something with the part of the mafia thing.

It's possible that medic gave some numbers that were false and others that were true, in order to give a more realistic showing of what mafia is (lies). Spritle's death is even more backing of this. As LDF said, it could be mafia trying to obviously lead the townies to lynch more townies.

Then again, Andro could be mafia and simply trying to redirect attention. While I know I am not mafia, thus making the theory inaccurate, it doesn't necessarily guarantee Andro for me.

see? you are getting tons of practice as mafia here. :P It is teaching all of us, no matter how biased each side it.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2011 10:21:04 PM
I say we ignore the numbers and go by people's behavior. Even before Spritle solved the number mystery, my top suspects and the only people that I voted for were knuckle and Partam based on their reactions. Besides it won't hurt to give the beginner's a chance to defend themselves. That's part of the reason I really wanted LDF in the game: so that she could test me. I think Knuckle acted very mafia-like by suspecting me. If Knuckle was town, he should never have suspected me. Let's consider two scenarios:

1) Knucke is town:

He sees me VTL JM instead of him. If I was mafia I would have no net benefit for switching from Knuckle to JM. Knuckle should know that since he is a townie, a mafioso would not divert attention from him onto ANOTHER townie. The net result is that a townie gets lynched, but mafia gets a net disadvantage by drawing attention onto themselves.

2) Knuckle is mafia:

He bandwagons on me voting for JM knowing that he could use me as his next target which he attempted to do.

I'd like Knuckle to defend why he did that.

VTL Knuckle
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2011 10:29:05 PM
F-16, your post makes tons of sense. the newb mafias should get to practice defending themselves. We can decide on whether or not to lynch him after he responds (4 out of 6 votes should be sufficient pressure)

Unvote Vtl Knuckle
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2011 10:52:46 PM
At 11/21/2011 10:21:04 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
I say we ignore the numbers and go by people's behavior. Even before Spritle solved the number mystery, my top suspects and the only people that I voted for were knuckle and Partam based on their reactions. Besides it won't hurt to give the beginner's a chance to defend themselves. That's part of the reason I really wanted LDF in the game: so that she could test me. I think Knuckle acted very mafia-like by suspecting me. If Knuckle was town, he should never have suspected me. Let's consider two scenarios:

1) Knucke is town:

He sees me VTL JM instead of him. If I was mafia I would have no net benefit for switching from Knuckle to JM. Knuckle should know that since he is a townie, a mafioso would not divert attention from him onto ANOTHER townie. The net result is that a townie gets lynched, but mafia gets a net disadvantage by drawing attention onto themselves.

2) Knuckle is mafia:

He bandwagons on me voting for JM knowing that he could use me as his next target which he attempted to do.

VTL Knuckle

I'll post my defense when I wake up.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2011 10:57:01 PM
Too tired to post anything now.

Please don't lynch me :)
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2011 11:05:00 PM
At 11/21/2011 10:57:01 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Too tired to post anything now.

Please don't lynch me :)

I'm lynching andro because I am trying spritles theory, if it works then you will be next because you are in his mafia list. SInce I belive in the theory and it is probably correct I will be killed over the night probably, they killed spritle because he gave us the numbers. So lets try again, if andro is mafia then his theory would be very convincing. So knukle you wont be lynched now, but maybe later... That sounded evil he he.
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
jm_notguilty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2011 11:06:16 PM
At 11/21/2011 10:21:04 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

1) Knucke is town:

2) Knuckle is mafia:

VTL Knuckle

This.... and not to mention Knuckle is #9 making him potential mafioso based on...uh... someone's thory.

VTL Lordknukle
blackhawk1331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2011 11:13:52 PM
VTL LORDK

That seems to be the one we're going with. Squirtle's numbertheory has worked out so far, so I say we keep testing it. If lordk isn't mafia, we'll try something else. This whole "that number clue of medic's is too easy to be true" mindset is bull sh!t. Medic said in a post last DP that someone who isn't even playing got all of the mafia before the first post was made. 36912. That's the number medic posted. I know medic is prone to chat, but this out of character for him. How often has he posted commenting on how many posts he's made? And that the numbers just happen to be intervals of three? Squirtles theory is definitely worth testing further.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2011 11:14:37 PM
unvote

VTL KNUKLE
blackhawk1331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2011 11:15:52 PM
UNVOTE if it's not too late. I just realized LDF said there were four of six votes and she wanted lordk to try and defend himself.

blackhawk1331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2011 11:18:47 PM
At 11/21/2011 11:15:52 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
UNVOTE if it's not too late. I just realized LDF said there were four of six votes and she wanted lordk to try and defend himself.

I thought we were at four of six. I didn't realize LDF meant to take it up to four of six. This is probably why skimming is a bad idea.