Concept game - anonymous mafia

bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2011 4:09:53 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
DO NOT SIGN UP IN THIS THREAD

A lot of people have complained that certain players are always targeted. In this game, you'll make a second account just for this game (innomen has approved this so you won't get in trouble).

It'll just be roles, since it's a concept game.

SIGN UP BY PMing ME from your new account. Even I won't know which player is which.

It's even better if none of the players even know who is playing, so don't sign up in this thread.

Standard rules apply but the #1 rule is: if you reveal your identity, you will be mod-killed.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2011 4:42:38 PM
Great idea. Suggestion: You should run all of the players IPs by innomen or Ore_Ele to ensure that none of the players are you (bluesteel) or double accounts by the same person.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2011 4:43:37 PM
By the way, this is not a concept game lol it's just mafia with a unique theme ;) It's okay though -- it's kinda like my New Roles Mafia game :P
President of DDO
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2011 4:47:46 PM
At 11/26/2011 4:42:38 PM, Danielle wrote:
Great idea. Suggestion: You should run all of the players IPs by innomen or Ore_Ele to ensure that none of the players are you (bluesteel) or double accounts by the same person.

lol, since I'm mod-ing, you'll also just have to trust that I'm not also playing. I will ask innomen for IP checks though so don't bother trying to sign up multiple times.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2011 5:03:31 PM
At 11/26/2011 4:56:01 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Are you going to reveal all once the game is over?

I could only do that if I knew the identities of the people playing.

That way would honestly be far more amusing for me, so maybe i'll do it that way...
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2011 5:16:47 PM
At 11/26/2011 5:13:42 PM, drafterman wrote:
Is this a one time thing?

Kind of. If it's super popular, I may do it again sometime, but probably not for awhile.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2011 5:21:34 PM
This is a great idea!
However, I spell things differently to Americans, so you'll probably be able to work out which one is me.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2011 5:54:57 PM
At 11/26/2011 5:16:47 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 11/26/2011 5:13:42 PM, drafterman wrote:
Is this a one time thing?

Kind of. If it's super popular, I may do it again sometime, but probably not for awhile.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the issue of targeting players is one about behavior, behavior that has become associated with a screen name. By changing the screen name, you break the association, but do not eliminate the problem; their behavior will simply become associated with the new screen name and the targeting problem will arise again, eventually.

Allow me to present an alternate solution:

One person, whom I will call the Administrator, creates a dummy e-mail account. Using that account, the administrator creates a number of DDO accounts with generic screen names.

If a mod wishes to make use of these generic names for a Mafia game, they PM the administrator with the list of player names. The administrator then randomly assigns the players to the generic names, generated new and unique passwords for each account. The administrator then lets the mod know when they are ready to be used. The players then use their generic names to play the game; not even the mod will know who is who.

When the game is done, the administrator can provide the mod with the list of player-name associations for end game revelations, then perform clean-up: resetting passwords, deleting PMs, etc.

While this places the burden all on one individual, that burden can be alleviated by sharing the responsibilities with two or three people, who have access to the dummy e-mail account and know the master password. Furthermore, this has the advantage of infinite re-usability. Names are randomized for each game, only a player's behavior during the game counts. Now, if certain players have such obvious behavior as to penetrate anonymity, then that's there problem.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2011 6:04:46 PM
@drafterman

That seems overly complicated. It's one way to ensure no one signs up twice, but IP scans can solve that.

And it seems far easier for each user to create a brand new account each time we do this, rather than using the same accounts.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2011 6:06:48 PM
The only reason I'm not gonna play is because I'm too lazy to create another account.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
PartamRuhem
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2011 6:13:39 PM
At 11/26/2011 6:06:48 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
The only reason I'm not gonna play is because I'm too lazy to create another account.

ditto
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2011 6:41:35 PM
I can start this whenever it fills up, but it seems like many people are too lazy to start new accounts.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2011 6:48:33 PM
At 11/26/2011 6:41:35 PM, bluesteel wrote:
I can start this whenever it fills up, but it seems like many people are too lazy to start new accounts.

I doubt that's true. People are probably just waiting for a randomish time to do it.
President of DDO
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2011 8:13:46 PM
I have 5 people signed up so far.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2011 1:54:59 AM
I don't think this would be as anonymous as you'd think. If you blocked the names of everyone and had me read a mafia game, then based on people's posts I could still guess the identities of everyone in the game and get 70% of them right. Most people have a certain style of writing that isn't hard to identify. For instance, Lickdafoot doesn't capitalize when she posts. Bluesteel uses a lot of internet abbreviations and capitalizes about 70% of the time. M. Torres often writes in all caps. Drafterman's posts are longer than average and he has a persuasive style of writing. I could go on. Point being, I think we'd know who everyone is by NP2.
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2011 2:05:12 PM
I think Blackvoid's point is right - I was thinking the same thing. It's not that I think I'd be able to figure out everybody quickly, but that the skilled players are the ones often with the most experience and the ones you remember / recognise most. For example, my posting style is fairly unique (won't detail here) , and I can't imagine myself being confused for anybody besides maybe Mestari.

Point being that the players who'll be figured out fastest are those who the game is trying to hide from view. Let's hope I'm wrong.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2011 2:10:38 PM
I had every intention of disguising the way I type and post. I thought that was obvious. I don't see how pointing this out was helpful in any way whatsoever. If you had thought that, you should have chosen to disguise your own identity, and use your presumed abilities to detect people by typing to your own personal advantage. I was planning on and hoping to fool people. I think people would get so caught up in trying to figure out who was who that they would ignore game dynamics.
President of DDO
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2011 2:15:32 PM
At 11/27/2011 2:10:38 PM, Danielle wrote:
I had every intention of disguising the way I type and post. I thought that was obvious. I don't see how pointing this out was helpful in any way whatsoever. If you had thought that, you should have chosen to disguise your own identity, and use your presumed abilities to detect people by typing to your own personal advantage. I was planning on and hoping to fool people. I think people would get so caught up in trying to figure out who was who that they would ignore game dynamics.

I had thought of this as well actually, all of it. Suffice to say I had reasons for speaking and that further discourse in this thread is likely to advantage neither of us.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2011 2:31:35 PM
Now nobody knows if I will be typing differently, or if I will type exactly the same in the hopes that people will think it's someone else pretending to be me. Needless to say, there's no need to try and analyze who is who in the game. People should be focusing on the dynamics only, hence the point of anonymous mafia :)
President of DDO
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2011 2:34:54 PM
At 11/27/2011 2:31:35 PM, Danielle wrote:
Now nobody knows if I will be typing differently, or if I will type exactly the same in the hopes that people will think it's someone else pretending to be me. Needless to say, there's no need to try and analyze who is who in the game. People should be focusing on the dynamics only, hence the point of anonymous mafia :)

Eh. I actually never really pay attention to who a player is except to identify who says what. Like, I don't go "Oh, we should off Danielle, she's always a threat in mafia."

But, I DO recognize that some folks do, so...
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2011 2:43:50 PM
At 11/28/2011 2:02:20 PM, Ironwood wrote:
Updates??

6 players have signed up...
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2011 2:48:21 PM
At 11/28/2011 2:43:50 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 11/28/2011 2:02:20 PM, Ironwood wrote:
Updates??

6 players have signed up...

Does everyone have to be anyonmous, or can there be a mix?