Total Posts:34|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

1st Annual Mafia Awards - DISCUSSION

M.Torres
Posts: 3,626
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2011 9:05:59 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
So it was brought up to possibly have Mafia awards separate from the general DDO ones, but that would coincide with the DDO awards (not required; to be discussed) However, we could probably include "Best Mafia Player" to the main.

But this is only discussion and nothing is set in stone. Some potential categories include, but are not limited to:

Best Mafia Player
Best Mafia Mod
Best Mafia Game
Best Mafia Moment
Best Mafia Townie
Best Mafia Scum
Best Mafia Town
Best Mafia Mafia
Best Mafia Character/Role
Most Improved Mafia Player
Best Mafia Newbie
Best Mafia Contributor
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2011 9:11:45 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Best Mafia Player
Best Mafia Mod
Best Mafia Game
Best Mafia Townie
Best Mafia Scum
Best Mafia Town
Best Mafia Mafia
Best Mafia Newbie

I like these ones.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2011 9:26:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/30/2011 9:25:03 PM, Danielle wrote:
I hate when DDO reminds me of high school lol. We don't need to do this, guys... there's no point?

You're so apathetic. Why not do it?
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2011 9:29:33 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/30/2011 9:26:23 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 11/30/2011 9:25:03 PM, Danielle wrote:
I hate when DDO reminds me of high school lol. We don't need to do this, guys... there's no point?

You're so apathetic. Why not do it?

I think it's a great way of celebrating our mafia subcommunity.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
M.Torres
Posts: 3,626
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2011 9:30:21 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/30/2011 9:25:03 PM, Danielle wrote:
I hate when DDO reminds me of high school lol. We don't need to do this, guys... there's no point?

You mean LIKE LIFE Danielle?

LIKE LIFE???
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.
Lickdafoot
Posts: 5,599
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2011 9:30:50 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/30/2011 9:25:03 PM, Danielle wrote:
I hate when DDO reminds me of high school lol. We don't need to do this, guys... there's no point?

pooper. we don't really need mafia either but its fun :)
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2011 9:34:26 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/30/2011 9:30:50 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
At 11/30/2011 9:25:03 PM, Danielle wrote:
I hate when DDO reminds me of high school lol. We don't need to do this, guys... there's no point?

pooper. we don't really need mafia either but its fun :)

I never said we NEEDED mafia or that we didn't NEED this. I said there was no point :P

The purpose of mafia is to play a fun game. The purpose of this is a subjective popularity contest. Anyway, I can't stop it, so maybe I'll participate. It's not a big deal.
President of DDO
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2011 9:36:04 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/30/2011 9:34:26 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 11/30/2011 9:30:50 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
At 11/30/2011 9:25:03 PM, Danielle wrote:
I hate when DDO reminds me of high school lol. We don't need to do this, guys... there's no point?

pooper. we don't really need mafia either but its fun :)

I never said we NEEDED mafia or that we didn't NEED this. I said there was no point :P

The purpose of mafia is to play a fun game. The purpose of this is a subjective popularity contest. Anyway, I can't stop it, so maybe I'll participate. It's not a big deal.

You'd definitely win the "Most likely to die NP1" award.
Be proud!
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
M.Torres
Posts: 3,626
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2011 9:38:34 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/30/2011 9:38:04 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
We should also add: "The person you would most be terrified of if you are mafia and they are town."

Ha ha. Blue.
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.
M.Torres
Posts: 3,626
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2011 9:43:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
My reaction when I find out I'm Mafia AGAINST Blue: http://tinyurl.com...

My reaction when I find out I'm Mafia WITH Blue: http://tinyurl.com...
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2011 9:44:16 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Assuming we can't vote for ourselves ;)

Best Mafia Player - Overall, maybe feverish...
Best Mafia Mod - Didn't keep track...
Best Mafia Game - Didn't keep track...
Best Mafia Moment - Didn't keep track...
Best Mafia Townie - Probs tvellalott...
Best Mafia Scum - Probs bluesteel
Best Mafia Town - Didn't keep track...
Best Mafia Mafia - Didn't keep track...
Best Mafia Character/Role - Didn't keep track...
Most Improved Mafia Player - I dunno...
Best Mafia Newbie - I dunno...
Best Mafia Contributor - What? I dunno...

A good mafia player, IMO

a) has good instincts as a townie
b) has a mafia read that's hard to tell
c) is consistently good
d) is generally able to last long in games, by going undetected or otherwise
e) proves to be useful to their team due to all of the above

I think myself, blue and tvellalott don't really fill ALL of those categories, usually because we don't stay alive long enough to. I think they're probably the best players but OVERALL I picked feves even though I know nobody else will think of him, because he fits all or most of those categories (even though he very rarely plays), while I specified the other 2 as a great townie and great mafioso. Also, I have to say that Askbob deserves honorable mention.
President of DDO
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2011 9:45:24 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
If we can vote for more than one, then also for best townie I'd vote for Logic On Rails and another for best mafia would be F-16. Actually let me nominate F-16 for best n00b, for sure.
President of DDO
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2011 9:45:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/30/2011 9:38:34 PM, M.Torres wrote:
At 11/30/2011 9:38:04 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
We should also add: "The person you would most be terrified of if you are mafia and they are town."

Ha ha. Blue.

Yes, I was talking about Bluesteel too, especially after the Classic mafia game.
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2011 9:57:16 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Best Mafia Player

danielle

Best Mafia Mod

danielle, tvellalot, Ore_Ele

Best Mafia Game

tvellalot - Roald Dahl vs. Dr. Seuss, danielle - Holidays, Ore_Ele - Alcohol

Best Mafia Moment

Me successfully fake claiming forensic investigator twice in a row (the second time GUESSING we had killed the real one after being investigated guilty by the cop in Knowledge Mafia).

Best Mafia Townie

danielle, M.Torres

Best Mafia Scum

lickdafoot, marauder

Best Mafia Town

the town in Green Day Mafia and Fairy Tale (Brother's Grimm) Mafia

Best Mafia Mafia

the mafia in Fakelore

Best Mafia Character/Role

tvellalot's Roald Dahl flavor cop (sends result to another [targeted] person, but only if the cop got a guilty), Ore_Ele's lie detector (that could choose how many people he wanted to target), F-16's underpowered JOAT, pretty much all paranoid cops :P, Ore_Ele's mafia Mason, the role Vi had in Holiday Mafia (target a player, whoever else targets that player dies)

Most Improved Mafia Player

F-16

Best Mafia Newbie

marauder (I don't know if he really counts as a newbie), drafterman

Best Mafia Contributor

dunno what this is.... Best posts? danielle, M.Torres
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2011 9:58:50 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/30/2011 9:38:04 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
We should also add: "The person you would most be terrified of if you are mafia and they are town."

danielle, hands down. There have been a number of games that I won only because we killed her and she didn't come back [like my first forensic investigator fake claim]. She always sees right through me somehow.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2011 10:01:18 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
askbob would definitely be on my list if he weren't banned. He has great instincts. As vig in one of the games I modded (as TheBaldKnobbers), he killed most of the mafia single-handedly.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2011 10:16:25 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Best Mafia Player - bluesteel (Dangerous as mafia and townie; started a few things we now consider SOP; seems to live a decent while considering...)
Best Mafia Mod - medic0506/askbob for hosting the priceless beginner games and bringing in fresh blood.
Best Mafia Game - Dexter mafia (Even though I was replaced (GAH!) I followed it and it was very, very fun)
Best Mafia Moment - Pwning mafia in Danielle's Lost Game as 3rd Party.
Best Mafia Townie - Danielle (So good at one point I swore a vendetta against her, until it got me caught DP2 of the first game I carried it out. :P)
Best Mafia Scum - logic_on_rails
Best Mafia Character/Role - Danielle Rousseau, Paranoid Survivor, LOST Mafia.
Best Mafia Newbie - F-16 (100%)
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Lickdafoot
Posts: 5,599
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2011 10:26:55 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Best Mafia Player - bluesteel
Best Mafia Mod - medic
Best Mafia Game - drugged out (I know town didn't like this game, but I had a hell of a fun time.) I also enjoyed the 1st mob wars game and star trek game
Best Mafia Moment - getting danielle & logic lynched, then winning, as cult recruiter in drugged out game
Best Mafia Townie - danielle
Best Mafia Scum - tv
Best Mafia Town - IDK
Best Mafia Mafia - idk maybe pixar vs dreamworks
Best Mafia Character/Role - I enjoyed being the mafia rolecop in pixar game, also the drug roles that ore_ele came up with
Most Improved Mafia Player - f-16
Best Mafia Newbie - F-16 (blackvoid gets 2nd)
Best Mafia Contributor - logic- quality over quantity
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2011 10:31:22 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
There are so many good players I have no choice but to put multiple players in each category:

Best Mafia Player - Bluesteel

Best Mafia Mod - Medic, Danielle, Bluesteel

Best Mafia Game - Pixar, Classic mafia

Best Mafia Moment - Getting town to lynch a bomb in the classic mafia game

Best Mafia Townie - Bluesteel, Danielle, LoR

Best Mafia Scum - Lickdafoot, TV

Best Mafia Town - Is this a repeat of the previous question??

Best Mafia Mafia - Same as above

Best Mafia Character/Role - Hmm, I don't know. I'd say Dexter in Bluesteel's Dexter game.

Most Improved Mafia Player - BlackVoid

Best Mafia Newbie - PartamRuhem. BV at a close second. Drafterman at a close third.

Best Mafia Contributor - TV, Medic, Drafterman

I'll add a few more:

Most feared player as town if you are mafia - Bluesteel

Best player to coach noobs - TV, Lickdafoot

Best mod to coach noobs - Medic

Most absurd fake-claims - LoR as a random triple killer in the Pixar game. Lickdafoot as a gingerbread man that gives the mafia info when pressured in the same game. (I can't believe I bought those claims)

Most rational player - Raisor

Biggest epic win from behind - Bluesteel, Spritle, Drafterman, and BlackVoid in beginner's 2.4

I'll stop now or I may go on forever.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2011 10:35:52 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Omg blue and tv -- you have such good memory's and you guys are totes right! I would say LOST mafia was awesome (lol definitely my favorite game of all time even though I was a mod, because I thought it was balanced sooo well and in tune with the show and the roles were epic and just omg I loved that game lol I love Lost in general and it coincided with mafia well! :P) ... but yeah put my vote for best game in as the Roald Dahl game. Holy balls I will never forgive lovelife for that game lol *shakes fist*

I do have to say that blue is hands down the best mafioso but I second tv's vote for himself in him pwning as Rosseau in Lost mafia. I don't think I've played in games where blue was mafia in awhile to really remember a lot of details, but the Rousseau one sticks out (though biased) so that's my best moment vote. I'm sure blue pulled off some epic wins though that I'm not remembering atm. Tv is actually a good 3rd party player too if I remember correctly...

I don't remember giving Vi that role but it's awesome lol. I think the judge role is cool too. I also like the Martyr role. I figure if you're going to have a third party role, make it a cool one. I think it actually requires some strategy so it's cool and the winner would deserve a win (unless it was winning by random chance, which is possible). The paranoid Survivor role tv had was cool too :)

I do think blue and tv and Ore_Ele and myself are really good mods. I do think Askbob is among the best players but not best mods, tbh. I don't like when games/roles are TOO crazy because that takes away the element of strategy, and I like when all elements are involved (which are: strategy, luck/chance, instincts, deduction, skill, con abilities, delivery). But variety is fun. Maybe I won't be so classic with this next game (I just want like 2 more players. If not, I'll start soon anyway).

I disagree that Marauder is the best among mafia scum truthfully but Lickdafoot should def be up there. I think M.Torres is good both as town and mafia (and cult at that). F-16 should get the best n00b vote for sure, and possibly most improved. I also think socialpinko should be another consideration for most improved.
President of DDO
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2011 10:51:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Forgot LoR somehow - I equate him and M.Torres somehow in my head.

BlackVoid also is an awesome newbie. Glad he started playing.

what's a paranoid survivor? It sounds cool.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2011 10:53:59 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Was just rereading the Lost endgame thread (here: www.debate.org/forums/games/new/16065/ for those interested.)

It was more than 12 months ago and SO many games have been played since then. There is a reason it stands out as my favourite game ever.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2011 10:55:50 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/30/2011 10:51:46 PM, bluesteel wrote:
Forgot LoR somehow - I equate him and M.Torres somehow in my head.

BlackVoid also is an awesome newbie. Glad he started playing.

what's a paranoid survivor? It sounds cool.

Paranoid Survivor is PGO, but also third-party survivor.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2011 10:58:33 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/30/2011 10:55:50 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 11/30/2011 10:51:46 PM, bluesteel wrote:
Forgot LoR somehow - I equate him and M.Torres somehow in my head.

BlackVoid also is an awesome newbie. Glad he started playing.

what's a paranoid survivor? It sounds cool.

Paranoid Survivor is PGO, but also third-party survivor.

Ah, good role. It actually makes it possible to play survivor without having to claim it DP1.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2011 11:01:47 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
How easy/hard is it to play survivor? I mean if the town learns that they could get first place if they stay, then they will be lynched. If the mafia think they have an important role they will be nk'ed. A bulletproof survivor wouldn't be a bad role though.

Does anyone have any tips on how to play a third party role like survivor or serial killer? It always seems like third parties are doomed unless they have super-easy win conditions like "kill this player and you win." Would you claim survivor right away or would you keep a low profile?
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2011 11:05:14 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/30/2011 11:01:47 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
How easy/hard is it to play survivor? I mean if the town learns that they could get first place if they stay, then they will be lynched. If the mafia think they have an important role they will be nk'ed. A bulletproof survivor wouldn't be a bad role though.

Does anyone have any tips on how to play a third party role like survivor or serial killer? It always seems like third parties are doomed unless they have super-easy win conditions like "kill this player and you win." Would you claim survivor right away or would you keep a low profile?

As a regular survivor, I'd just claim it right away, which ensures mafia won't kill you and town won't get a guilty on you and lynch you. Town may kill you in the end, but you'll survive longer (and mafia may be forced to give you the win).

Serial killer - lay low or fake claim vig/JOAT. It's the same as being a mafioso.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2011 11:06:22 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/30/2011 11:01:47 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
How easy/hard is it to play survivor? I mean if the town learns that they could get first place if they stay, then they will be lynched. If the mafia think they have an important role they will be nk'ed. A bulletproof survivor wouldn't be a bad role though.

Does anyone have any tips on how to play a third party role like survivor or serial killer? It always seems like third parties are doomed unless they have super-easy win conditions like "kill this player and you win." Would you claim survivor right away or would you keep a low profile?

Third party is pretty damn difficult, which is why I like to make them quite powerful, to counter the fact they are anti-town and alone.
A Basic Survivor is probably the hardest role (IMO) because you have no power, no information and you (should) appear guilty to investigations. You can claim miller, but if you get CC'd, you're going to die. :/
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...