Jump to topic:

New Forum Game Signups / Questions - Andaria

JustCallMeTarzan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2011 1:46:55 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
This is a new forum game I've been devising over the past couple days. It's kind of D&D-esque, but with an emphasis on the storytelling aspect. Looking for signups for the test run... This version will only take 8 players, so it should be decently quick. If this works out, I'll see about working with other people in the future to create more complex versions.

You may pick your colors as you sign up - the available colors are red, orange, yellow, green, cyan, blue, purple, and pink.

1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)

Please let me know if you have any initial suggestions or concerns!! The information below describes a rough outline. I expect it to be clarified more as we see how the game works in play. The information, as well as the root site for the game can be found here: http://blueglowtech.biz...

Just a side note - I'm keeping the web interface simple - the map is stored in the same directory. Please don't just go look at it - it won't give you any advantage whatsoever.

Gameplay

Andaria is a forum-style role-playing game. The gameplay unfolds as a storyline progression told by the gamemaster. Players may interact with each other, for better or worse, cooperation or carnage. This game is not turn based, though restrictions on the number of actions per 24-hour period keep the gameplay from affecting those players who can make more moves per period. The object of the game is to progress to the Dragonsbane Citadel, enter the citadel, and uncover the final treasure. Remember, it requires two players to open the gates of the citadel... but will the treasure be shared? Or will greed and treachery carry the day?

Game progression occurs as players uncover the map, visiting the various locations on the map. It is not required that players visit specific named locations, but items necessary to the game progression are more likely to be found in ruins, caves, and sometimes even right under your nose in a city. Traveling the roads is generally safe, but unexciting... unless you are set upon by bandits.

Rules

The rules of Andaria are simple. First, and foremost, the commitment to open gameplay will be observed. There will be choices to make, but in large part, players are completely free to explore the world and act as they see fit. However, there are some restrictions:

- Players will be assigned a unique color chit for their character. The location of the chit on the map is always revealed, as well as which player has what color.

- Players may make no more than 10 Action in a 24-hour period. An Action includes responding to a prompt, engaging in combat, moving a character, or purchasing an item.

- If a player's next Action depends on the resolution of another player's Action (i.e. meeting, cooperation) all deliberate haste will be used to resolve the conflict. However, if 16 hours pass without resolution, the player is freed to continue the game. However, cooperative actions cannot be completed.

- Opening the Dragonsbane Citadel requires two Dragonhorn keys. A player may only carry one Dragonhorn key at a time.

- Movement across water - players may move from one water windmill station to any other. As soon as one windmill is uncovered, the rest will be as well. Players may swim to islands, or even across water, but swimming counts as 1 Action per square, even when mounted. Travel between windmills uses 1 Action.

- To speed gameplay, all players will have the same version of the map - as one player uncovers a region, the region is available to all. Some regions will be revealed en-masse.

- Players may move two blocks in one Action by purchasing a horse in a city.

- Players may collude with each other without the game master's knowledge.

- Locations that appear to be in multiple grids will be clarified when discovered.

Some communication with the game master will take place via private message. Some will take place within the forum itself. Game communication will always begin with a [Bolded Tag] that describes the type of communication. The last rule is... have fun!

Beginning a Game

Players will be able to choose a class. Each class has special benefits that may affect gameplay with other characters:

Classes:

Warrior - The warrior stands his ground, fighting with sword and shield. The earth itself trembles as he roars his challenge.

Assassin - Dancing from the shadows, the assassin slips his daggers through his opponents' armor with dexterity and viciousness.

Marksman - The marksman fights from a distance. His bow and arrows whistle through the air, burying themselves deep in his foes.

Mage - A mage is the master of earth, fire, air, and water. His staff and necklace imbue his magic with destructive force.

Guardian - Guardians wield the Light, healing friends and striking foes. The mace and the ring are their instuments of choice.

Harbringer - The harbringer gathers the forces of Darkness to strike enemies where they stand. Powerful relics augment their terrible power.

Players will be assigned a starting grid based on their chosen class. Multiple players will likely begin in the same location - no player interaction will begin until each player has made 10 Actions. Players indicate their movements on the map by PM'ing me the grid they wish to move to... you may specify a grid multiple steps away; the shortest route will be taken unless you specify otherwise.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2011 1:59:30 AM
it should be decently quick.

Oh god you poor son of a b****.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
JustCallMeTarzan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2011 2:05:19 AM
At 12/14/2011 1:59:30 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
it should be decently quick.

Oh god you poor son of a b****.

You think not? Maybe I'll make the final treasure a real world prize...
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2011 4:57:33 AM
I'll sign up, but if it starts taking too long (like the D&D games do) I'll probably drop out. I'll be pink.

Why don't you play mafia JCMT? You'd be good at it. ;)
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Jordan56
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2011 7:42:23 AM
You may pick your colors as you sign up - the available colors are red, orange, yellow, green, cyan, blue, purple, and pink.

1)
2)
3)
4)
5) Jordan56 - Blue
6)
7)
8)
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2011 1:36:42 PM
1) tvellalot (pink) - Harbringer
2) Jordan56 (blue)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Viper-King
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2011 2:51:06 PM
At 12/14/2011 1:46:05 PM, Jordan56 wrote:
2) Jordan56 (blue) - Mage
3)Viper-King (Green)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
blackhawk1331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2011 3:20:40 PM
3)Viper-King (Green)
4) Blackhawk1331 (red) - mage
5)
6)
7)
8)
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
JustCallMeTarzan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2011 3:25:14 PM
[Information]

There is no "best" class. Each class will have unique abilities and be able to forge unique weapons from the parts of creatures they have slain. Your class indicates what weapons are available from which creatures.

Players that kill a 'lesser' creature such as a wolf or deer will be able to forge a single, medium-quality weapon from the creature's remains. Killing a 'greater' creature such as a bear, mountain lion, or bandit (or another player) allows one to forge a single high-quality weapon from the remains. Killing a dragon, in addition to allowing the collection of a dragon horn, allows the player to forge two legendary-quality weapons from the dragon remains. If two players cooperate to kill a dragon, each player will be able to forge one weapon.

For example, a warrior who kills a wolf could make a medium-quality sword from the wolf's spine. Killing another player would allow the creation of a high-quality sword from the player's leg bone. A warrior who kills a dragon could make a shield from the dragon's back scales, as well as a sword from the dragon's tail spikes.
JustCallMeTarzan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2011 3:28:45 PM
We now have two mages - I'm going to cap it to two per class for variety... Remaining available classes are: Guardian, Marksman, Assassin, Warrior, and Harbringer. Let's try to get one of each =)

Looks like people are favoring the magic ones... hmm...

3)Viper-King (Green)
5)
6)
7)
8)
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2011 3:42:22 PM
I guess I'll play, though I reiterate my warning to you.

Marksman.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2011 3:43:50 PM
3)Viper-King (Green)
5)Ragnar_rahl (Purple) Marksman
6)
7)
8)
JustCallMeTarzan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2011 3:50:33 PM
At 12/14/2011 3:42:22 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
I guess I'll play, though I reiterate my warning to you.

Marksman.

Map updated for R_R - welcome! I'm really hoping it doesn't drag out - that's one of the reasons it's not really turn based - all players can move and interact simultaneously. The main time I expect it to get slow-ish is when there are only a couple players left, and they are getting to the citadel.
CAPLlock
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2011 3:58:49 PM
At 12/14/2011 3:43:50 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
3)Viper-King (Green)
6)
7)Caplocky ( yellow) Marksman
8)
CAPLlock
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2011 4:01:13 PM
At 12/14/2011 3:58:49 PM, CAPLlock wrote:
At 12/14/2011 3:43:50 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
3)Viper-King (Green)
6)
7)Caplocky ( yellow) Assassin
8)
changed my mine
Jordan56
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2011 4:19:51 PM
3) Viper-King (Green) - Harbringer
4) Blackhawk1331 (red) - Mage
5) Ragnar_rahl (Purple) - Marksman
6)
7) Caplocky ( yellow) - Assassin
8)
JustCallMeTarzan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2011 4:24:58 PM
Updated for VK and CAPS. We now have 2 Harbringers and 2 Mages - the last two will be a Warrior and Guardian. Remaining colors are Orange and Cyan. Site and map updated: http://blueglowtech.biz...

6)
8)
Xerge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2011 4:28:50 PM
6) Xerge (Orange)-Guardian
8)

The game seems interesting. I'll sign up too.
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2011 4:29:28 PM
At 12/14/2011 4:24:58 PM, JustCallMeTarzan wrote:
Updated for VK and CAPS. We now have 2 Harbringers and 2 Mages - the last two will be a Warrior and Guardian. Remaining colors are Orange and Cyan. Site and map updated: http://blueglowtech.biz...

6) Thaddeus the pimpitudinal (Cyan) - Guardian
8)