Jump to topic:

How do you play Mafia?

WriterSelbe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2011 6:52:36 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Every time I go into a Mafia thread, I'm like, "Hmm, maybe I'll play this time." Then I read the screen and don't know what the heck is going on. SO, how does Mafia work? You have the Mod's List and the Mafia Advice but I can't find out how to play!
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2011 7:00:09 PM
I'm putting together an explanation of mafia that we will soon sticky to the top of the forum. However, in the meantime, you can go here to read up on how mafia works: http://www.debate.org...
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2011 7:04:53 PM
Here is also the first part of what I have typed up:

What is mafia?

Mafia is a game that pits the informed minority (the mafia) against the uninformed majority (the town). The mafia's goal is to kill of the entire town. The town's goal is to kill of the entire mafia. The town has one weapon at its disposal: the lynch. The mafia has one weapon at its disposal: the night kill.

The day phase is the first phase of mafia. It is the phase that is posted in the forums, where *all* players may post, discuss, and ultimately lynch one person. When someone is lynched, that person dies, his verdict is announced ("guilty" for mafia, "innocent" for town), and the game then proceeds to the night phase. The night phase occurs via PM's. Each player who has a role submits his "night action" in his role PM. Role PM's are sent out, by the moderator, before the game even begins.

There are townie roles designed to help the town, there are townie roles designed to help the mafia, there are mafia roles designed to help the mafia, and there are third party roles. These will all be discussed later.

After the night phase is over and everyone has submitted their night actions, the next day phase begins. All dead players (both players that were lynched the previous day phase and players that died during the night phase) will have their roles announced at this time. The next day phase then continues until another lynch is reached. A lynch will always be reached upon a vote by the majority of the *alive* players.

The game then continues until either all the mafia are dead OR the number of mafia equals the number of non-mafia players. The reason the game ends in the latter case is because if there are 4 mafia and 4 townies, the townies can never reach a majority (of five votes) to lynch a Mafioso, so the town has lost the ability to win the game.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
WriterSelbe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2011 7:11:17 PM
At 12/14/2011 7:04:53 PM, bluesteel wrote:
Here is also the first part of what I have typed up:

What is mafia?

Mafia is a game that pits the informed minority (the mafia) against the uninformed majority (the town). The mafia's goal is to kill of the entire town. The town's goal is to kill of the entire mafia. The town has one weapon at its disposal: the lynch. The mafia has one weapon at its disposal: the night kill.

The day phase is the first phase of mafia. It is the phase that is posted in the forums, where *all* players may post, discuss, and ultimately lynch one person. When someone is lynched, that person dies, his verdict is announced ("guilty" for mafia, "innocent" for town), and the game then proceeds to the night phase. The night phase occurs via PM's. Each player who has a role submits his "night action" in his role PM. Role PM's are sent out, by the moderator, before the game even begins.

There are townie roles designed to help the town, there are townie roles designed to help the mafia, there are mafia roles designed to help the mafia, and there are third party roles. These will all be discussed later.

After the night phase is over and everyone has submitted their night actions, the next day phase begins. All dead players (both players that were lynched the previous day phase and players that died during the night phase) will have their roles announced at this time. The next day phase then continues until another lynch is reached. A lynch will always be reached upon a vote by the majority of the *alive* players.

The game then continues until either all the mafia are dead OR the number of mafia equals the number of non-mafia players. The reason the game ends in the latter case is because if there are 4 mafia and 4 townies, the townies can never reach a majority (of five votes) to lynch a Mafioso, so the town has lost the ability to win the game.

Thanks a bunch! I was looking over it and now it's starting to make a LOT more sense.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2011 8:54:46 AM
At 12/16/2011 8:51:40 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
I'm still baffled though. Is it the last man standing that wins? Does it matter if he's a mafia guy or not?

Excepting special circumstances, it's a team win, rather individual wins. You win with your team, and the objective is to eliminate the other team.

So if you're town, you win if the town wins, whether or not you survive to the end, likewise for the mafia.

The special circumstances are certain 3-rd party roles which are usually individuals, and win by themselves.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2011 10:07:12 AM
At 12/16/2011 8:54:46 AM, drafterman wrote:
At 12/16/2011 8:51:40 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
I'm still baffled though. Is it the last man standing that wins? Does it matter if he's a mafia guy or not?

Excepting special circumstances, it's a team win, rather individual wins. You win with your team, and the objective is to eliminate the other team.

So if you're town, you win if the town wins, whether or not you survive to the end, likewise for the mafia.

The special circumstances are certain 3-rd party roles which are usually individuals, and win by themselves.

I see, thank you, perhaps I'll sign up for the next one.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...