Jump to topic:

Adopt a noob

CAPLlock
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2011 5:27:53 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Im thinking of a program to train noobs.

A Trained member will choose one noob and be a mentor. After wards and after game of maf to see if the noob antinoobed
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2011 9:15:27 AM
I'd be willing to take the initiative on this project, provided everyone likes it.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2011 9:47:50 AM
It would be a good idea but to actually implement a program like this would take massive programming on Juggle's part and we all know that he doesn't care too much about DDO.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2011 9:48:52 AM
At 12/27/2011 9:47:50 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
It would be a good idea but to actually implement a program like this would take massive programming on Juggle's part and we all know that he doesn't care too much about DDO.

He? Juggle or Innomen?
caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2011 9:53:18 AM
I don't think there will ever be enough interest to make this a full-fledged "program" as it were. Just a thread like this where noobs/trainers can be made available and just contact each other would probably be the most optimal solution.
There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. " Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, which presents the difficulties.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2011 10:24:49 AM
At 12/27/2011 9:48:52 AM, UnStupendousMan wrote:
At 12/27/2011 9:47:50 AM, Lordknukle wrote:

He? Juggle or Innomen?

Juggle.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2011 10:25:14 AM
At 12/27/2011 9:53:18 AM, caveat wrote:
I don't think there will ever be enough interest to make this a full-fledged "program" as it were. Just a thread like this where noobs/trainers can be made available and just contact each other would probably be the most optimal solution.

But let's not forget that it is against the rules to be discussing mafia games outside of official PMs and threads.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2011 10:42:38 AM
Why would Juggle need to be involved? If a n00b wants help for any reason, be it debating advice or mafia advice, they can simply ask or converse via PM with their mentor of sorts...?
President of DDO
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2011 11:13:29 AM
At 12/27/2011 10:42:38 AM, Danielle wrote:
Why would Juggle need to be involved? If a n00b wants help for any reason, be it debating advice or mafia advice, they can simply ask or converse via PM with their mentor of sorts...?

1. I'm pretty sure this is only about Mafia games, hence it being in the games forum.
2. Discussion of mafia games out of official PMs and thread is strictly disallowed, so that may pose a problem.
3. If the OP wants an official training program built into the site, he will need to contact Juggle.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2011 12:09:48 PM
At 12/27/2011 11:13:29 AM, Lordknukle wrote:

1. I'm pretty sure this is only about Mafia games, hence it being in the games forum.

Fair enough, though this has been proposed for debating as well in the past.

2. Discussion of mafia games out of official PMs and thread is strictly disallowed, so that may pose a problem.

It's only "strictly disallowed" by the moderator of each game. There's no official rule. The mod could easily allow beginners to have PMs outside of the game with their mentor only.

3. If the OP wants an official training program built into the site, he will need to contact Juggle.

I think it'd be a bit ridiculous to ask Juggle to to this. It's not an inherent aspect of DDO and would be a lot of work completely unnecessarily. The people who are interested can find ways to work around it, such as what I just suggested.
President of DDO
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2011 1:56:21 PM
At 12/27/2011 12:09:48 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 12/27/2011 11:13:29 AM, Lordknukle wrote:

Fair enough, though this has been proposed for debating as well in the past.

It's only "strictly disallowed" by the moderator of each game. There's no official rule. The mod could easily allow beginners to have PMs outside of the game with their mentor only.
I didn't really think of that.

I think it'd be a bit ridiculous to ask Juggle to to this. It's not an inherent aspect of DDO and would be a lot of work completely unnecessarily. The people who are interested can find ways to work around it, such as what I just suggested.

It would definitely be an interesting addition.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2011 2:38:44 PM
I'd be willing to "adopt a noob" lol. Also, Danielle's right here. Juggle doesn't have much to with mafia. We organize it all ourselves so I don't see why a mafia mentoring program would uniquely require Juggle's assistance.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2011 2:40:08 PM
At 12/27/2011 2:38:44 PM, socialpinko wrote:
I'd be willing to "adopt a noob" lol. Also, Danielle's right here. Juggle doesn't have much to with mafia. We organize it all ourselves so I don't see why a mafia mentoring program would uniquely require Juggle's assistance.

I thought that the OP wanted a built in program to the site.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2011 3:00:03 PM
This concept is kind of interesting. If a n00b was playing in a game that I wasn't playing in, I wouldn't be opposed to reading the game and helping him. In fact, it kind of makes me anonymous - you'll never know what n00b I may be playing through :P
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2011 5:41:13 PM
I don't have much time right now, but in a week or two (I should have more time then) I'd be happy to adopt a noob to teach how to play mafia.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2011 5:47:31 PM
At 12/27/2011 5:44:09 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
I'd be willing to adopt a noob.

I already adopted 4 mafia noobs in a previous beginner game. They won of course ;)

Which game?
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2011 5:50:41 PM
At 12/27/2011 5:47:31 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

I already adopted 4 mafia noobs in a previous beginner game. They won of course ;)

Which game?

4.2. I was added into the mafia pm to give them pointers. They actually did really good on there own though; they didn't need much help.
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2011 5:56:54 PM
At 12/27/2011 5:50:41 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
At 12/27/2011 5:47:31 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

Which game?

4.2. I was added into the mafia pm to give them pointers. They actually did really good on there own though; they didn't need much help.

Interesting.

To answer the OP, here is what I think. I am not sure how well "adopt a noob" will work.

I am actually more in favor of experienced players actually playing in beginner games to actively demonstrate what mafia is like.

For instance, the first time, I was mafia, TV was in the mafia as well. While it may have overpowered us, there are things you can learn by watching an experienced player play that you can't learn just by having them give you advice.

Also, why a single mentor to a noob? Having a lot of different people would help even more. If we put in IC (Inexperienced Challenged) players like TV and others into beginner games, it helps them to see how they would play, and demonstrate what the game is like rather than just tell them.
MasterKage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2011 6:12:25 PM
Wouldn't it be easier to make a general mafia game guide/tips?
This signature is full of timey wimey wibbly wobbly stuff...
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2011 7:29:24 PM
So....shall I go ahead and start an official thread, then?
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus