Jump to topic:

Adopt-a-Noob Program (Mafia): Official thread

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2011 9:58:33 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
So, as Caplock proposed, and as I volunteered to take initiative on (to no one's objection), this is the official Adopt-a-Noob Program thread for Mafia (it's experimental at this stage). So, here's how I propose it to work. To those who are new to mafia (or fairly inexperienced), please put your name below under "Protegee." To those who ARE experience and want to be a noob's mentor, please put your name below under "Mentor."

As for how it'll run, I propose that our protegee's will play in beginner games, like normal. The mentors, on the other hand, will NOT play in the game, but WILL be included in their protegee's role PM to advise (note: they WILL be included in the mafia PM, but only to see what is being said. Advice should be given in the role PM only.) I will also set up a general advice PM between mentor and protegee outside of any beginner games.

It's important to note that this program will imply that if a player wants a mentor, that they'll only get advice in the beginner games. As well, this also implies that a mentor will NOT play in the beginner games, but be available to help.

Mentors must be courteous, polite, etc. to their protegee (obviously). Remember, we were all noobs once.

Now, if you'd like to participate in this experimental program, affix your name below. If you have ANY comments or suggestions, please give them.

Protegee:
Mentor:

Protegee:
Mentor:

Protegee:
Mentor:

Protegee:
Mentor:

Protegee:
Mentor:
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
MasterKage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2011 10:07:17 AM
At 12/28/2011 9:58:33 AM, DetectableNinja wrote:
So, as Caplock proposed, and as I volunteered to take initiative on (to no one's objection), this is the official Adopt-a-Noob Program thread for Mafia (it's experimental at this stage). So, here's how I propose it to work. To those who are new to mafia (or fairly inexperienced), please put your name below under "Protegee." To those who ARE experience and want to be a noob's mentor, please put your name below under "Mentor."

As for how it'll run, I propose that our protegee's will play in beginner games, like normal. The mentors, on the other hand, will NOT play in the game, but WILL be included in their protegee's role PM to advise (note: they WILL be included in the mafia PM, but only to see what is being said. Advice should be given in the role PM only.) I will also set up a general advice PM between mentor and protegee outside of any beginner games.

It's important to note that this program will imply that if a player wants a mentor, that they'll only get advice in the beginner games. As well, this also implies that a mentor will NOT play in the beginner games, but be available to help.

Mentors must be courteous, polite, etc. to their protegee (obviously). Remember, we were all noobs once.

Now, if you'd like to participate in this experimental program, affix your name below. If you have ANY comments or suggestions, please give them.

Protegee:
Mentor: Andromeda_Z

Protegee:
Mentor:

Protegee:
Mentor:

Protegee:
Mentor:

Protegee:
Mentor:
This signature is full of timey wimey wibbly wobbly stuff...
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2011 10:07:18 AM

Protegee:

Protegee:
Mentor:

Protegee:
Mentor:

Protegee:
Mentor:

Protegee:
Mentor:

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2011 10:45:58 AM
At 12/28/2011 10:44:47 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
I don't think the Mentor's knowing who the mafia are is a good idea. They could let something slip to their protege accidentally.

No: they'd be included in the mafia PM IF their protegee is mafia; NOT if they aren't.

Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2011 11:11:54 AM
Protegee:

Protegee:
Mentor:

Protegee:
Mentor:

Protegee:
Mentor:

Most fortunate Protegee:
Mentor of Legend: Marauder
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2011 11:14:57 AM
NOTE: I kind of set this up without conferring with bluesteel first (he's the overseer of the beginner games)--I just messaged him now to see if he approves

Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2011 11:53:17 AM
At 12/28/2011 11:14:57 AM, DetectableNinja wrote:
NOTE: I kind of set this up without conferring with bluesteel first (he's the overseer of the beginner games)--I just messaged him now to see if he approves

you renegade maverick!
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2011 12:09:19 PM
Protegee:

Protegee:
Mentor: Lickdafoot

Protegee:
Mentor:

Protegee:
Mentor:

Most fortunate Protegee:
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2011 1:10:28 PM
I'm gonna laugh when this basically becomes Mentor-vs-Mentor. Maybe rather than integrate it throughout all the BGs, just in a round or so. Like, have it be x.3 with theme, roles and mentor, and x.4 be without mentor. After x.4, they officially "graduate" Blue's Noob Academy. We should make some list of "graduated" players so that in sign-ups, you always know who has been through all the games. You could even have mods designate "No Noob" games at their discretion, link the list, and noobs would know to sit out on that particular game.
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2011 2:32:34 PM
Protegee:

Protegee:

Protegee:
Mentor: Socialpinko

Protegee:
Mentor:

Most fortunate Protegee:

Lol we have mentors, but no protegees.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2011 2:35:53 PM
At 12/28/2011 2:32:34 PM, socialpinko wrote:

noobs might just not be inclined to come in this thread. We could consider posting this list in the sign up threads for the beginner games.
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2011 2:49:36 PM
At 12/28/2011 1:10:28 PM, M.Torres wrote:
I'm gonna laugh when this basically becomes Mentor-vs-Mentor. Maybe rather than integrate it throughout all the BGs, just in a round or so. Like, have it be x.3 with theme, roles and mentor, and x.4 be without mentor. After x.4, they officially "graduate" Blue's Noob Academy. We should make some list of "graduated" players so that in sign-ups, you always know who has been through all the games. You could even have mods designate "No Noob" games at their discretion, link the list, and noobs would know to sit out on that particular game.

I think this seems fair. I'll talk to blue about these ideas.

MasterKage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2011 3:00:44 PM
Protegee:

Protegee:

Protegee:
Mentor: Socialpinko

Protegee: MasterKage
Mentor:

Most fortunate Protegee:

Meh, I'll sign up, but not to any of the already signed up mentor, becuase I don't want to have to choose.
This signature is full of timey wimey wibbly wobbly stuff...
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2011 5:00:23 PM
Noobs can sign up here for the .2 and .3 games for a mentor. However, for .1, no mentors. I skipped the roleless .1 game this time, and it didn't turn out well. Some noobs got overwhelmed with the number of rules and roles. Gotta keep it simple for .1 so they can learn the basic stuff first.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2011 2:39:22 PM
At 12/28/2011 7:41:15 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:
I'll be a protege if anybody wants to adopt me.

Is anyone adopting UnStupendous?

socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2011 3:11:47 PM
At 12/29/2011 2:39:22 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 12/28/2011 7:41:15 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:
I'll be a protege if anybody wants to adopt me.

Is anyone adopting UnStupendous?

I'll take him.
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2011 5:02:45 PM
Okay. Now, would anyone care to take MasterKage under his/her wing?

Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2011 11:04:59 PM
I'm kind of new to mafia so would anybody like to mentor me? I'll try to avoid politics in the games forum :).
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2011 11:45:23 PM
Not sure if anyone wants me as a mentor (last person I would consider my protege would be F-16 and he isn't turning out so well...) but if you do I'll do it.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2011 11:46:24 PM
At 12/29/2011 11:45:23 PM, tvellalott wrote:
Not sure if anyone wants me as a mentor (last person I would consider my protege would be F-16 and he isn't turning out so well...) but if you do I'll do it.

Lol I think he's pretty good.
:
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2011 11:48:42 PM
we should make an adopt a noob program where we teach them to debate...I wana do that lol
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2011 11:51:45 PM
At 12/29/2011 11:48:42 PM, 16kadams wrote:
we should make an adopt a noob program where we teach them to debate...I wana do that lol

Teaching to debate is much harder and more time consuming than learning to play mafia.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2011 11:52:55 PM
Since MasterKage asked first and no one seems to have seized him, I'll take him as my protege.

Muh threads
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2011 11:55:41 PM
UnStupendousMan vs. Masterkage!
:
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2011 11:56:58 PM
At 12/29/2011 11:55:41 PM, socialpinko wrote:
UnStupendousMan vs. Masterkage!

Hehe.
My newb is better than your newb!

Muh threads