Jump to topic:

Beginner 5.1 Sign-ups

bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2011 7:42:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
The next round of beginner games will begin soon (as soon as the previous one ends). Sign-up below to learn the ropes. This game will be as simple as possible to you learn the basics. Two intermediate players can play as well. This game will be role-less.

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2011 7:45:02 PM
Is this the one with the mentor's?
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2011 8:05:52 PM
That will be the next one.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2011 8:44:12 PM
At 12/30/2011 8:39:34 PM, CAPLlock wrote:

1. CAPS
9.Lordknukle
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2011 9:11:34 PM
Bluesteel, can you make us work for the answers please instead of giving them out on the front page?
*Looks at Medic*.

lol the game was good but that pattern kinda killed it. No offence.
MasterKage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2011 9:56:52 PM
At 12/30/2011 9:20:42 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
1. CAPS
2. royalpaladin
3. MasterKage
5. Jordan56
9.Lordknukle
This signature is full of timey wimey wibbly wobbly stuff...
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2012 1:13:16 AM
At 12/30/2011 9:11:34 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Bluesteel, can you make us work for the answers please instead of giving them out on the front page?
*Looks at Medic*.

lol the game was good but that pattern kinda killed it. No offence.

Most people get bored after a couple day phases of the roleless games. I had learned that from previous experience modding the .1 games so I put the clue up there to keep the game from being long and drawn out.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2012 7:37:34 PM
This game will be fast. Really short phases so people don't get bored.
blackhawk1331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2012 7:48:59 PM
Am I allowed to play?
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2012 7:54:58 PM
At 1/1/2012 7:48:59 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
Am I allowed to play?

As am I?
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2012 8:10:02 PM
Do I count as an intermediate player or beginner?
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2012 9:20:30 PM
There are already a large number of intermediate players signed up. I won't start this until I have more actual beginners. And I don't need any more intermediate players for this particular game.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2012 9:23:16 PM
bump
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Chthonian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2012 6:07:29 PM
At 1/3/2012 10:58:44 PM, vmpire321 wrote:
1. CAPS
2. royalpaladin
3. MasterKage
4. Chthonian
5. Jordan56
9.Lordknukle
10. Vmpire321
Viper-King
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2012 6:18:01 PM
At 1/4/2012 6:07:29 PM, Chthonian wrote:
At 1/3/2012 10:58:44 PM, vmpire321 wrote:
1. CAPS
2. royalpaladin
3. MasterKage
4. Chthonian
5. Jordan56
8.Viper-King
9.Lordknukle
10. Vmpire321
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2012 7:05:51 AM
At 1/5/2012 6:34:14 AM, esisCOA wrote:
is there a thread that can teach me the basics of the abbreviations etc of the game?

The mod will explain much in the opening threads of the game. Here is a primer:

Mafia is a game that pits an uninformed majority (the town) against an informed minority (the mafia). Out of the people playing the game, a few (about a third) will randomly be chosen to be the mafia. The rest are the town.

The mafia each know who they are and, by extension, know who is town. The town does not know who is town and who is mafia. The goal for the town is to kill all the mafia, the goal for the mafia is to kill enough of the town to become a majority. This game has 10 people. If there are 3 mafia and 7 town, the town has to kill the 3 mafia while the mafia has to kill at least 4 town.

The game is divided into Day Phases and Night Phases. Day Phases involve public deliberation about who may be mafia. People may vote to lynch people based on their suspicions. If someone receives a majority votes to be lynched, they are killed and the moderator reveals their affiliation. Once a person is lynched, or the majority of the town vote to lynch no one, the Night Phase begins. During the Night Phase, the mafia select one of the towns people to kill. At the beginning of the next Day Phase, the mod will reveal who was killed in the night.

There are a number of other Roles that can affect the game. For example, one Towns Person may be chosen to be a Cop, who can investigate a person at night to determine if they are town or mafia. Another Towns Person can be a Doctor who can try and save a person at night from being killed. There are roles for Mafia people too, such as Roleblocker, who prevents another person from using their role at night. There are a whole host of roles. Towns people without any role or ability is called "Vanilla" while a Mafia person without any role or ability is called a "Goon." The mod will explain, privately, to each person what their roles and abilities are.

Common Terms and Abbreivations:
IWWTT - Means "I Win With The Town." There are sometimes roles in the game that can determine the truth of statements such as these. It is usually standard procedure for everyone to state this phrase in case such a role exists.

Character Claim - In themed games people are given characters. Sometimes the characters can hint at a person's role or affiliation. To "claim" your character is to tell the town what your character is.

Role Claim - This means to tell the town what your role and night-abilities are.

VTL - Means "Vote To Lynch" and is followed by the name of the player you want to lynch.

VTNL - Means "Vote To Not Lynch" means you don't want anyone to be lynched today. Note: Don't use this when you are simply unsure of who you want to lynch. Use this only when you are sure you don't want anyone to by lynched that day. If you have your vote on someone and you want to remove it, simply "Unvote."

Mislynch - The goal is to lynch mafia. When a townie is lynched, it is called a Mislynch.

MYLO - Mislynch and Lose. When the town only outnumbers the mafia by 2, it is called MYLO because if the town lynches another townie (Mislynch) the mafia will kill a second townie in the night and win the game. In this case, Not Lynching is still an option.

LYLO - Lynch or Lose. When the town only outnumbers the mafia by 1, the town has to lynch a mafia. If a mafia isn't lynched, the mafia will kill a townie in the night and win the game.

CC - Counter-Claim. When a person claims a character or a role, someone else may "counter" that claim by saying that they have that character or role. This usually means one of two is lying. In our games, this is usually more relevant for characters than roles, since duplicate roles can exist.

Fake Claim - Mafia usually has to lie to the town to appear to be town. This often involves lying about their characters and roles. To do this, they come up with "fake claims."

DP/NP - Day Phase and Night Phase, respectively. Usually followed by a number to indicate which phase is being talked about. Nights Follow days, so NP1 is the night phase after DP1.

BP - Bulletproof. A role that indicates a person is immune to night kills.

FOS - Finger of Suspicion. This means you suspect someone as being mafia, but not enough to vote for them.

NK - Night Kill. The kill performed by the mafia each night.

PM - Private Message. The mod uses Private Messages to convey information to individual players. Also, the mafia have a shared PM that they use to converse privately. You are not allowed to Cut and Paste information from your PMs to a Day Phase Thread. Also, you are not allowed to PM other players about the game outside of the PMs specifically created by the mod.

PR - Power Role. Technically, this simply means to distinguish having a role versus being Vanilla or a Goon. Though since most of the games here involve almost everyone having a role, can be used to distinguish more powerful and useful roles from others.

RVS - Random Voting Stage. Usually only during DP1. When you have no information to go on, you randomly vote someone to get information and see reactions to get reads on mafia.

Scum - A designation for anyone that isn't a townie.

3rd Party - Some people don't win with either the town or the mafia.

SK - Serial Killer. A 3rd Party Role that has a night kill like the mafia.

WIFOM - Wine In Front of Me. Basically, infinite reverse psychology. Many times a person will claim to be town because they would act differently if mafia. More specifically, sometimes when a person has made an obviously suspicious move, they will claim they aren't mafia because mafia wouldn't act in an obviously suspicious manner. The problem is, if a person is attempting to use their behavior to justify them being down, that's the exact kind of behavior mafia want to emulate. So is the suspicious person a townie being aggressive, or a mafia person trying to look like a townie being aggressive? It leads to invinite recurssion. At the end of the day, WIFOM statements are inconclusive.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2012 12:06:50 PM
Can we start?
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2012 12:10:40 PM
At 1/5/2012 12:06:50 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Can we start?

We need one more person. I am going to PM Oryus as soon as she accepts my friend request and ask her to play.