Jump to topic:

Why do night phases last so long??

medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2012 5:39:48 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Is it just me or does it seem like mods are becoming less attentive recently. Or is it a problem with people getting their night actions in on time?? Either way a night phase really shouldn't last more than 24 hours. Mods should force the issue if people aren't getting their actions in. Set the deadline and if they're not in, they get forfeited. People lose interest and it hurts your game when night phases last 2-4 actual days.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2012 6:17:57 AM
At 1/23/2012 5:39:48 AM, medic0506 wrote:
Is it just me or does it seem like mods are becoming less attentive recently. Or is it a problem with people getting their night actions in on time?? Either way a night phase really shouldn't last more than 24 hours. Mods should force the issue if people aren't getting their actions in. Set the deadline and if they're not in, they get forfeited. People lose interest and it hurts your game when night phases last 2-4 actual days.

I think that we should create some sort of standard as to how long a NP should last. In my Beginner Game, I gave less than 24 hours, and that worked except for during the last NP. My guess is that a 23-27 hour period is the most fair.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2012 6:44:56 AM
Starcraft mafia: The mod closed the DP 20 hours after the lynch was reached. He says he was busy. Seriously, if people are so busy, they should just not mod games until they find some free time.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2012 7:27:38 AM
In the beginner game I modded, it was because people weren't getting night actions in. Which is silly because on any given night only about 1/2 the people even had night actions. Instead of leaving it to themselves, I started explicitly asking them what their night actions were individually
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2012 7:35:11 AM
At 1/23/2012 7:27:38 AM, drafterman wrote:
In the beginner game I modded, it was because people weren't getting night actions in. Which is silly because on any given night only about 1/2 the people even had night actions. Instead of leaving it to themselves, I started explicitly asking them what their night actions were individually

Yeah, I did that as well, and I was usually able to get most of the night actions in within a few hours.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2012 8:21:40 AM
At 1/23/2012 6:17:57 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

I think that we should create some sort of standard as to how long a NP should last. In my Beginner Game, I gave less than 24 hours, and that worked except for during the last NP. My guess is that a 23-27 hour period is the most fair.

Not sure if I mentioned this in endgame but if I didn't I apologize. You did a very good job of keeping things rolling, answering questions quickly, and keeping up with the VC. I really liked how attentive you were to your game and think that's how all games should go.

I think the mods should just start closing the day phase in a reasonable amount of time, and post a 24 hour deadline for night actions to be in. If they aren't in, they get forfeited, non-negotiable. If we all start doing that people will learn quickly to get their actions turned in.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2012 9:38:42 AM
At 1/23/2012 8:21:40 AM, medic0506 wrote:

Not sure if I mentioned this in endgame but if I didn't I apologize. You did a very good job of keeping things rolling, answering questions quickly, and keeping up with the VC. I really liked how attentive you were to your game and think that's how all games should go.

I think the mods should just start closing the day phase in a reasonable amount of time, and post a 24 hour deadline for night actions to be in. If they aren't in, they get forfeited, non-negotiable. If we all start doing that people will learn quickly to get their actions turned in.

Yeah, I'll put a 12 hour limit on night phases.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2012 1:02:02 PM
Inactivity usually. I replace people who don't get night actions in within 36 hours.

There's a tradeoff. I think time limits are unfair because it doesn't seem right to punish the town because their cop happened to be someone who is generally inactive. Inactivity almost always hurts the town, not the mafia.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
blackhawk1331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2012 3:07:23 PM
At 1/23/2012 9:38:42 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 1/23/2012 8:21:40 AM, medic0506 wrote:

Yeah, I'll put a 12 hour limit on night phases.

12 hours is probably too short.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2012 3:45:23 PM
At 1/23/2012 3:07:23 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:

12 hours is probably too short.

Not really. In the last game I modded, some of the later night phases finished in 10-20 minutes and I could start off the next Day Phase right away.

I'll extend the NPs though if a bunch of actions weren't submitted.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2012 10:33:03 PM
My ability to do mod work has been inconsistent given the holiday season, my leg injury and the crazy start to the work year I've had, which I apologise for.
However, I strongly disagree with 24 hours for night actions and I won't punish people for not getting on DDO for one day. People make a commitment to a mafia game, I understand this is a forum game and shouldn't be treated with such militancy. If people consistant don't get their night actions in, sure, I'll replace them but 24 hours is too narrow. 36-48 hours is perfect in my opinion. If people get their actions in early, great.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2012 10:34:02 PM
At 1/23/2012 10:33:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
My ability to do mod work has been inconsistent given the holiday season, my leg injury and the crazy start to the work year I've had, which I apologise for.
However, I strongly disagree with 24 hours for night actions and I won't punish people for not getting on DDO for one day. People make a commitment to a mafia game, I understand BUT this is a forum game and shouldn't be treated with such militancy. If people consistant don't get their night actions in, sure, I'll replace them but 24 hours is too narrow. 36-48 hours is perfect in my opinion. If people get their actions in early, great.

Fix'd
Without the but that sentence was awful. >_<
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...