Jump to topic:

RPs?

Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2012 12:14:51 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'm wondering why there are such a lack of RP games on this sight...I'm tempted to set one up and see how it goes. Is there any reason why there are so little?
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2012 12:15:44 PM
I'd actually like to play a role-playing game here.

It's just that everyone is off playing Mafia or Andaria/Andoria.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2012 12:15:57 PM
At 1/23/2012 12:14:51 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
I'm wondering why there are such a lack of RP games on this sight...I'm tempted to set one up and see how it goes. Is there any reason why there are so little?

Roleplaying Games? A dungeons and dragons game was set up a long time ago. I think it stufferred from lack of activity.

Mafia is where it's at.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2012 12:17:39 PM
At 1/23/2012 12:15:57 PM, drafterman wrote:

Roleplaying Games? A dungeons and dragons game was set up a long time ago. I think it stufferred from lack of activity.

Mafia is where it's at.

I'm actually thinking of doing a real run of that non-Mafia game I started a long time ago: Special Interest.

CAPLlock
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2012 1:24:46 PM
At 1/23/2012 12:17:39 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

Mafia is where it's at.

I'm actually thinking of doing a real run of that non-Mafia game I started a long time ago: Special Interest.

THIS!

Sign me up
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2012 2:02:39 PM

There have been three attempts at Dungeons and Dragons on this site and one Gamma World (basically Dungeons and Dragons in a post Large Hadron Collider apocalypse)

The first Dungeons and Dragons I DMed, and got to 14th level, ending due to story.

The other two Dungeons and Dragons Mattrodstrom DMed. Neither lasted past the first encounter, as he quit both times.

The Gamma World one lasted about a month before too many people quit.

Y no one else but me can hold a group together? :P
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2012 3:07:04 PM
I'll have a go setting one up. We could either go for a dungeonesque kinda RP, or a Nation-controlling kind of one. Personally, I prefer the second idea, but I have a lot more experience with the first one. If anyone else wants to say any ideas on the issue, or put forth a possibility, I'll help run it.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2012 4:38:14 PM
At 1/23/2012 3:07:04 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
I'll have a go setting one up. We could either go for a dungeonesque kinda RP, or a Nation-controlling kind of one. Personally, I prefer the second idea, but I have a lot more experience with the first one. If anyone else wants to say any ideas on the issue, or put forth a possibility, I'll help run it.

I'd be willing to join, as long as its not overly complex.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2012 6:23:46 PM

Well, right now, I have a shell of an RPG where there are two countries, and the ultimate goal for each groups is to take over the other country. However, each player is a cabinet member or govt official for each country, and they each have a special win condition. It would involve out in the open diplomacy during the day, and shady deals at night. I can message you the details if you're interested.

Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2012 6:45:50 PM
At 1/23/2012 4:38:14 PM, OberHerr wrote:

lol as long as D&D is not overly complex? Have you played it before?

I've never played it on a forum setting- how do you guys deal with that aspect? Also- how does a nation-controlling one work?
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2012 7:09:53 PM
At 1/23/2012 6:45:50 PM, Oryus wrote:

I've never played it on a forum setting- how do you guys deal with that aspect? Also- how does a nation-controlling one work?

Hawkins didn't necessarily say he'd be using any version of D&D, although I'm much more likely to sign up if he is.

If he is:
The main thing about playing it on DDO is that the DM rolls all the dice, and you need a reasonably quick way to get combat maps unless you're playing an older edition designed to be playable without them, which requires of course getting the rules to people. 3.5, which pretty much needs maps, is probably best because most of the basic rules can be found at d20srd.org

(home.broadpark.no/~hfled/ to make maps and pastehtml to host them works pretty well.)

I also play at http://www.thetangledweb.net..., which has a dice roller and is a site made for the purpose, so it's a somewhat different dynamic. The advantage of doing it on DDO is... well, we know each other better.

If one is nation-controlling in 3.5 or 4e, that's pretty much in the realm of house rules, in 1st and 2nd editions it's pretty much standard high level play for fighters to manage a stronghold at least.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2012 7:22:20 PM
At 1/23/2012 7:09:53 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 1/23/2012 6:45:50 PM, Oryus wrote:

Hawkins didn't necessarily say he'd be using any version of D&D, although I'm much more likely to sign up if he is.

If he is:
The main thing about playing it on DDO is that the DM rolls all the dice, and you need a reasonably quick way to get combat maps unless you're playing an older edition designed to be playable without them, which requires of course getting the rules to people. 3.5, which pretty much needs maps, is probably best because most of the basic rules can be found at d20srd.org

(home.broadpark.no/~hfled/ to make maps and pastehtml to host them works pretty well.)

I also play at http://www.thetangledweb.net..., which has a dice roller and is a site made for the purpose, so it's a somewhat different dynamic. The advantage of doing it on DDO is... well, we know each other better.

If one is nation-controlling in 3.5 or 4e, that's pretty much in the realm of house rules, in 1st and 2nd editions it's pretty much standard high level play for fighters to manage a stronghold at least.

Cool. I'm used to 3.5. I'll keep an open mind about playing though. Sounds like it could be fun on DDO possibly.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2012 3:30:02 PM
I'd probably do it in a way that, as a player, you'd have little to deal with, but personally I'd have a large spreadsheet with a load of variables and option on and (with a little ingenuity) create some problems & ideas to make things a bit darker.

Also, seeing as everyone wants a character Dungeonesque Idea so far, shall I go for a Fallout-style one? Or more of a dark-age style? I'd prefer to do a guns-style idea, simply because it would work better.

By the way, the way that I've always done an RP is a hero/player simply writes in their action of what they do, but they put more creativity in their actions. Then the 'score' of the action is decided through a DM judging how creative / engaging it is. That counts as a "roll", per se. Then, the harder the action, the less likely that it is pulled off. Of course, if the majority (or even a large minority) does not want to do it this way, then I'll just go for a more common way - or let someone else run it.

Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 12:24:03 PM
Anyone? If I set up a quick 1-6 list of players, say what type of RP-world you'd like.

M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 12:27:12 PM
Stephen, although I'm intrigued with the actual RPing aspects, I have to ask if the mechanics will still remain within a d20 system?
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 2:33:50 PM
Man, I'd like to but I probably really shouldn't. I just got hired for a new job today, I'm DMing a campaign irl, and then I've got classes as well. I'd probably be a lame addition to the gaming group.

I'll definitely pop in and read it though and maybe play next time :)
:
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 3:48:08 PM
At 1/26/2012 12:27:12 PM, M.Torres wrote:
Stephen, although I'm intrigued with the actual RPing aspects, I have to ask if the mechanics will still remain within a d20 system?

OK, small problem: I can't DM. I've got a load of work to get done, and I can't really start DMing any time soon. If someone else wants to DM, then I would be happy to allow them to.

To answer the question, maybe, depending on the DMer. Also, I will still play in the RP.

CAPLlock
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 3:49:37 PM
At 1/26/2012 12:24:03 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
Anyone? If I set up a quick 1-6 list of players, say what type of RP-world you'd like.

1.CAPS
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 4:07:47 PM
At 1/26/2012 3:49:37 PM, CAPLlock wrote:

1.CAPS
2.Stephen_Hawkins

Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 4:09:22 PM
At 1/23/2012 6:23:46 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

Well, right now, I have a shell of an RPG where there are two countries, and the ultimate goal for each groups is to take over the other country. However, each player is a cabinet member or govt official for each country, and they each have a special win condition. It would involve out in the open diplomacy during the day, and shady deals at night. I can message you the details if you're interested.

...So a mafia game?

Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 6:47:22 PM
At 1/26/2012 4:07:47 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:

1.CAPS
2.Stephen_Hawkins
3. R_R (Big fan of D&Desque mechanics, not too terribly concerned about setting).
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 7:00:23 PM
At 1/26/2012 6:47:22 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

1.CAPS
2.Stephen_Hawkins
3. R_R (Big fan of D&Desque mechanics, not too terribly concerned about setting).
4. OberHerr (Warning: May be nooby!)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2012 3:33:08 PM
At 1/26/2012 7:00:23 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 1/26/2012 6:47:22 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

1.CAPS
2.Stephen_Hawkins
4. OberHerr (Warning: May be nooby!)

It would help if someone could manage...