Jump to topic:

Mafia Theory Discussion: Wills

royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2012 1:32:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
On Epic Mafia, players can leave wills that give the town information upon their deaths. Wills can be changed at any time before the end of the game until the player dies, and the moment he dies, his will is read to the town. To accompany this, there is a mafia role known as "Forger" that can override an individual's will with 50% certainty. What are your thoughts on adopting these ideas for DDO? Should wills be restricted only to certain roles like the Mason, or should they be available for all?
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2012 1:33:54 PM
At 2/3/2012 1:32:09 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
On Epic Mafia, players can leave wills that give the town information upon their deaths. Wills can be changed at any time before the end of the game until the player dies, and the moment he dies, his will is read to the town. To accompany this, there is a mafia role known as "Forger" that can override an individual's will with 50% certainty. What are your thoughts on adopting these ideas for DDO? Should wills be restricted only to certain roles like the Mason, or should they be available for all?

The town is already quite powerful as it is. This will mechanism would simply lessen the chances of mafia winning.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2012 1:36:46 PM

Wills are potentially game-breaking.

1. They allow you to keep all your investigative results secret, prolinging your chances of living since you don't have to out. If you are randomly killed, the town now has all your information.

2. They negate the abilities of the Tailor, Guiser, and Janitor (though Tailor and Guiser aren't used here).

As Lord stated, they provide a SIGNIFICANT enhancement to the Town. I don't mind them in Epic, as I really only see Wills in Sandbox.

However, I have considered the use of a "Last words" - When a person dies, they may provide a single post as their "Last words." No more than 140 characters, and cannot contain any results from the use of their role. This would happen no matter how they do or when.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2012 1:41:16 PM
At 2/3/2012 1:36:46 PM, drafterman wrote:

1. They allow you to keep all your investigative results secret, prolinging your chances of living since you don't have to out. If you are randomly killed, the town now has all your information.

2. They negate the abilities of the Tailor, Guiser, and Janitor (though Tailor and Guiser aren't used here).

As Lord stated, they provide a SIGNIFICANT enhancement to the Town. I don't mind them in Epic, as I really only see Wills in Sandbox.

However, I have considered the use of a "Last words" - When a person dies, they may provide a single post as their "Last words." No more than 140 characters, and cannot contain any results from the use of their role. This would happen no matter how they do or when.

I like your modification of the will, but I doubt that they will be super-useful. What do you think about restricting the will to the Mason role?

On a side note, do you think that tailors are too powerful?
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2012 1:50:31 PM
At 2/3/2012 1:41:16 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 2/3/2012 1:36:46 PM, drafterman wrote:

I like your modification of the will, but I doubt that they will be super-useful. What do you think about restricting the will to the Mason role?

On a side note, do you think that tailors are too powerful?

The issue here, and why the translation from Epic to DDO would probably fail in most cases is the fact that EpicMaf uses are SUPER AWARE of the roles. And I'm not talking about just in Open Set-ups.

I primarily play the Sandbox Closed setup (7 random town roles, 3 random maf roles, 2 random 3rd party roles). The players there are hyper aware of any behavior that would be indicative of a given role.

Want to be lynched? You're fool.
Want to get someone lynched D1? You're lyncher.
NL on D1? Jailer/Interrogator/Warlock

A tailor in Epic is no big deal. They expect it because, even in Closed, there is a static known pool of roles that people could possibly and potentially be. They know a tailor exists, they know its mechanics.

A tailor in DDO would single-handedly win the game for mafia, because all roles here are custom, even if they adhere to common patterns. On Epic, the power of those rules is muted by the fact that you either A) know all the roles in a given game, B) play a random set-up in which all roles are seen equally, thus you aren't blind-sided by the use of a role which is "rare" because no roles are rare.

I don't think Masons should have wills while no one else does. Another factor is the fact that games here start on DP1, while in epic they usually start on N1. Thus DDP favors Mason while Epic does not. As a fan of Epic, you are going to enjoy watching beginners 6.4 (evil grin).
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2012 2:48:32 PM
Notes found after death were an important part of the roleplaying mafia I ran, but they do seem quite OP for a more standard mafia game.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2012 2:56:42 PM
Maybe if the mod outs what they did on a random night maybe with/without info about results.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave