Jump to topic:

Mafia Websites

Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2012 8:40:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
What are your thoughts on other mafia websites such as Epicmafia? Personally, I can't stand it. You don't have time to type any legible and everything is so rushed. Not to mention that everybody there is probably a 12 year old kid. DDO seems like one of the best, if not the best, place to play mafia.

Thoughts?
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2012 9:02:50 PM
At 2/3/2012 8:40:46 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
What are your thoughts on other mafia websites such as Epicmafia? Personally, I can't stand it. You don't have time to type any legible and everything is so rushed. Not to mention that everybody there is probably a 12 year old kid. DDO seems like one of the best, if not the best, place to play mafia.

Thoughts?

Personally, I love Epic. It's a great way to get a Mafia fix. If you go in understanding that it is a VERY different brand of mafia, I think it can be immensely enjoyable.

It is also a great source of ideas for roles and tactics though I advocate extreme care when trying to cross that Boundary.

I tried a game at mafiascum, but I left before I finished. Didn't really get into that.

It's basically at the other end of the spectrum. A LOT slower than here.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2012 9:07:10 PM
I most certainly would not like to play mafia elsewhere. Epicmafia is so confusing that I didn't even know how to start playing a game. Also, one of the things that make mafia at DDO appealing is the people you are playing with as well as the straightforward and clear format of the game.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2012 9:12:22 PM
At 2/3/2012 9:07:10 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
I most certainly would not like to play mafia elsewhere. Epicmafia is so confusing that I didn't even know how to start playing a game. Also, one of the things that make mafia at DDO appealing is the people you are playing with as well as the straightforward and clear format of the game.

Plus, you know the people, and its not a roll of the dice who your playing with.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2012 9:13:20 PM

Epic does take a while to get used to. One thing to note is that, most things are rigidly formulaic.

Consider this common setup:

1 Doc
1 Cop
3 Vanillas (Blues)
2 Mafia

Game starts on N1.

Come D1, unless the Doc was killed, the Cop outs and is almost always CCd. The town most likely NLs (unless the Doc saved someone) and the mafia random kills among the unclaimed, hoping to get the doc.

Basically, for almost every possible state in the game, there is a set of expected responses. Usually you end up with a single maf and two vanillas and have to rely on your ability to discern/confuse town.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2012 9:21:01 PM
At 2/3/2012 9:13:20 PM, drafterman wrote:

Epic does take a while to get used to. One thing to note is that, most things are rigidly formulaic.

1 Doc
1 Cop
3 Vanillas (Blues)
2 Mafia

Game starts on N1.

Come D1, unless the Doc was killed, the Cop outs and is almost always CCd. The town most likely NLs (unless the Doc saved someone) and the mafia random kills among the unclaimed, hoping to get the doc.

Basically, for almost every possible state in the game, there is a set of expected responses. Usually you end up with a single maf and two vanillas and have to rely on your ability to discern/confuse town.

Doesn't sound fun.....

drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2012 9:22:52 PM
At 2/3/2012 9:21:01 PM, OberHerr wrote:

1 Doc
1 Cop
3 Vanillas (Blues)
2 Mafia

Game starts on N1.

Doesn't sound fun.....

It actually is (though that sounds subjective). It's just not as "free form" as DDO.

Then again, I don't play those open set-ups anymore. I play in sandbox mode on random setups. I think I'll play one right now.
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2012 9:24:02 PM

1 Doc
1 Cop
3 Vanillas (Blues)
2 Mafia

Game starts on N1.

I'd like to see how that community reacts to either no cop or multiple cops.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2012 9:25:43 PM
At 2/3/2012 9:24:02 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:

1 Doc
1 Cop
3 Vanillas (Blues)
2 Mafia

Game starts on N1.

There's no lack of other investigative roles. Cops are relatively underpowered there, to be frank.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2012 9:26:42 PM
At 2/3/2012 9:25:43 PM, drafterman wrote:

1 Doc
1 Cop
3 Vanillas (Blues)
2 Mafia

Game starts on N1.

There's no lack of other investigative roles. Cops are relatively underpowered there, to be frank.

Man, my opinion of EM is going down.......but hey maybe I'll play a game with you sometime.

You can pick who to play with right?

UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2012 9:26:49 PM

1 Doc
1 Cop
3 Vanillas (Blues)
2 Mafia

Game starts on N1.

I'd still like to see a situation where "follow the cop" cannot work. Like a situation with no doc.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2012 9:30:16 PM
At 2/3/2012 9:26:49 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:

1 Doc
1 Cop
3 Vanillas (Blues)
2 Mafia

Game starts on N1.

I'd still like to see a situation where "follow the cop" cannot work. Like a situation with no doc.

Here's the deal with EM:

All the roles are rigidly set in stone.
Which means, the Cop in one game behaves exactly the same as the Cop in any other game.
Same with Doc, Tracker, Watcher, etc.

There are three Lobbies: Training, Competitive, and Sandbox.
Training has usually the same set-ups over and over. You can play ranked or unranked.

I play Sandbox mostly, where you'll find a random 12 person setup.

You can create your own games using whatever roles you want.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2012 9:31:53 PM
I hate epicmafia.

Before I came on here, I was telling my fiance about mafia and then I got a pain to "just play a quick game" so I went over there...it was so uninteresting and confusing I gave up before we finished DP1.
I still needed it in my heart so I came on here the next day just needing to sign up for whatever games were in the sign ups and haven't been able to see one and say no since then, lol.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2012 9:34:50 PM
At 2/3/2012 9:30:16 PM, drafterman wrote:
At 2/3/2012 9:26:49 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:

1 Doc
1 Cop
3 Vanillas (Blues)
2 Mafia

Game starts on N1.

Here's the deal with EM:

All the roles are rigidly set in stone.
Which means, the Cop in one game behaves exactly the same as the Cop in any other game.
Same with Doc, Tracker, Watcher, etc.

There are three Lobbies: Training, Competitive, and Sandbox.
Training has usually the same set-ups over and over. You can play ranked or unranked.

I play Sandbox mostly, where you'll find a random 12 person setup.

You can create your own games using whatever roles you want.

Sandbox seems like the best lobby, to be honest. Like our own DDO mafia.
Jordan56
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2012 10:44:29 PM
Well I just played three games in epicmafia and I have to say that it is terrible. People were just randomly killing and there was no thought put towards anything. The whole game in general made no sense.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2012 5:06:13 AM
I played one game on EM and that was enough for me, just didn't like it. I've been playing on Mafiascum.net for a couple months now, usually one or two games at a time. The game there is quite different from ours, days last for three weeks and nights last for three days. The analysis there is much more in depth, and we don't out characters and roles like we do here, unless that person is getting lynched then they claim when they're at L-1. I didn't like it at first because it was so different, but after a while I've come to enjoy it quite a bit. I still prefer our brand of game and would never leave DDO mafia for MS, but it does serve as a nice supplement for players who like to be active in many games. Plus the slow analytical nature of the game makes you a better player, whether mafia or town.