Total Posts:7|Showing Posts:1-7
Jump to topic:

Epic Mafia Roles

drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2012 9:23:08 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Ok, we have several threads talking about some roles that appear in Epic Mafia and how they would work here. If you've played both DDO and Epic, then no doubt you've thought about such things. I know I'll be using some of those roles in my upcoming games. So as not to have 50 such threads. Here are all the roles in Epic and how they compare to DDO:

Roles commonly found in DDO:
These roles are commonly used in DDO games, and behave much in the same way. Any deviations from how they are generally played in DDO is noted. One thing to note is that recruiting roles like Mason or Cult actually replace the recruitee's original role. Furthermore, while there is a Cult Leader, there is no single person in those roles that makes the recruitment. Every Mason/Cultist votes on who to recruit in the same manner that a person would be voted to lynch. This applies to all roles that are not unique. For example, if an Epic game has two Trackers, the Trackers have their own night-meeting where they vote on a single target to track, and they both get the results.

Another idiosyncracy with Epic is that all deaths (except death by Werewolf) is treated like a bullet. Thus, a bulletproof can survive holding an Anarchists bomb or even surviving dying from being poisoned (the first night. BP is 1-shot and the poisoned status doesn't go away).

Villager (A.K.A. "Blue"; Vanilla Townie)
Doctor
Nurse (Jailkeeper; Protects and Roleblocks)
Bodyguard (50% Elite BG, killing attacker instead of dying)
Cop
Insane Cop
Paranoid Cop
Naive Cop
Watcher/Lookout (In Epic, Watchers/Lookouts don't visit their targets)
Tracker/Scout
Detective/Stalker (Rolecop)
Vigilante
Town Drunk/Hooker (Roleblocker)
Miller (Appears as Villager to self; if lynched, flips as mafia - Death miller)
Bulletproof (Always only 1-shot)
Bomb (Always kills killer, regardless of how and when the Bomb dies)
Granny (PGO; cannot die except by werewolf)
Hunter (Vengeful Townie)
Mason (Mason targets lose their abilities when recruited; Masons kill Cthulu/Cultists)
Mafia (Goon)
Silencer (Not part of Mafia PM/Meeting)
Godfather
Framer
Janitor (Always only 1-shot)
Lawyer
Driver
Ninja
Cultist (Cult targets lose their abilities when recruited; if CL dies, all Cultists die)
Fool (Jester; may visit other players at night)
Killer (Serial Killer)
Survivor (Can also "hide" behind people. If target does not visit anyone, is immune to being targeted himself. If target dies, survivor dies)
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2012 9:26:51 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Roles not commonly found in DDO
These roles I have never seen, or only seen 1 or twice in DDO games here, though, theoretically, they could be used in DDO games here.

Snoop - Learns items held by target. (Guns, vests, etc.)
Journalist/Informant - Learns investigative results of target.
Mortician - Learns true role of target in graveyard
Sheriff - 1-shot day vig, identity revealed
Deputy/Sniper - 1-shot day vig, identity not revealed
Governor - Can change lynch target or force No lynch; 1-shot
Agent/Spy - Knows non-town roles; can send anonymous messages to non-town roles; Spy knows and can message all roles
Town Crier - Can "cry"
Shrink - Prevents conversions; converts Killer to Villager
Samurai - Immune to conversions; kills the first 2 people that try to convert it
Priest - Discovers roles of anyone that visits him; kills visiting Werewolves; if killed, 50% chance to: convert Town-sided killer to Villager; 3rd Party killer to Survivor; Mafia-sided killer to Traitor
Judge - Vote only counts if it is the hammer
Gallis - Appears as Villager to self; can only be lynched with a minority of votes
Treestump - Cannot vote; Cannot be killed directly except by Werewolf
Virgin - If lynched, prevents all deaths the following night
Oracle - Each night selects a target; if killed, target's role is revealed
Enchantress - May give out a single crystal; Person with crystal may use it a-la an Oracle
Dreamer - Unless visited at night, has a dream; dream reveals either A) a person that is innocent or B) three people at least one of which is guilty
Gunsmith - Gives out guns each night; Guns grant 1-shot day vig with 50% chance to reveal identity
Santa - If not visite, may investigate people like a sane cop and learns true alignment; may give: guns, vests, bread, and crystals to an additional second target
Blacksmith - Gives out vests; Vests grant 1-shot bulletproof
Baker - Gives out 2 bread each night; if dies, everyone without bread dies at the end of the phase; everyone with bread consumes a bread at the end of the phase
Mimic - May target a person each night; if they target a Town-sided role, the Mimic steals that role and the target becomes a Villager; if they target a non-Town-sided role, the mimic becomes a Villager
Turncoat - If killed by the mafia, becomes a Traitor
Saboteur - Selects a target each night; if target has a gun and tries to use it, gun will backfire and kill them
Yakuza - May sacrifice self to recruit target into the mafia; target becomes a Mafia goon
Actress - Selects a target each night; learns target's role; if dies, appears as target's role in Graveyard
Tailor - Knows all roles in game; Gives out "suits" corresponding to a role; if target dies, they will appear as the role of their suit
Enforcer - Prevents conversions
Quack - Mafia-sided doctor; not part of Mafia PM/Meeting
Poisoner - Poisons a target each night; target dies at the end of the next night; Doctors can cure and prevent poisonings
Interceptor - Selects a target each night; of the people that visit target, randomly kills one; all other visiters learn the identity of the Interceptor
Witch - Selects a target each nightl if target is visited by a non-mafia player, target dies
Voodoo Lady - Selects a target and a word each night; if target says the world during the next day, target dies
Thief - Steals items held by target (guns, vests, bread, crystals)
Paparazzi - If lynched, may choose to reveal a player's role
Paralyzer - At any point during the day, may "lock" the votes
Forger - 50% chance to replace target's will
Monk - Selects a target each night; target is death-proof that night and the following day; if target would have died during that time, the Monk acrews a "save." Wins if it acrews 2 saves or if two nights and days pass without anyone dying.
Zombie - May infect a person each night. Becomes a Zombie at the beginning of the next Night. Killed by Doctors.
Lover - Selects a person to "love." If either of the pair dies, so does the other. Wins if target surives the game.
Angel - Is randomly assigned to a person. Has a 1-shot protect power that makes them unkillable that night and the next day phase. Wins if target survives the game, even if the Angel is dead.
Lyncher - Chooses a person at the beginning of the game. Wins if that person gets lynched.
Warlock - Each night guesses the results of the following Day Phase's lynch (including No lynch). Wins after 2 successful guesses (not necessarily consecutively)
Prophet - At the beginning of the game, chooses a Day or Night phase. Wins if the game ends on the chosen phase.
Alien - Each night "probes" a player. Wins if all living players have been probed.
Werewolf - Each night may try to guess the role of a player. If guesses correctly, target dies (this death cannot be prevented) and is immune to being killed during the next Day phase. If guesses incorrectly, is revealed to the town.
Amnesiac - Once per game, may select a person in the graveyard Assumes that person's role, including win condition.
Creepy Girl - May give out a single doll. Holder of the doll may pass to another person during the night. Creepy girl wins if person holding the doll dies by any means.
Traitor - Mafia that is not in the Mafia PM/Meeting
Autocrat - If the game is such that the town would win, Autocrat wins instead.
Politician - Votes count as double. Every other night, his alignment (town/mafia) is randomly chosen.
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2012 9:34:31 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Epic Roles requiring mechanics that are not available in DDO
These roles use mechanics that are not provided by the DDO forums, primarily involving making things anonymous. To include these roles, they'd have to be modified in some way to support them being played here. I've included my thoughts on the matter.

Leader - If killed, votes are anonymous during the next day phase.

DDO Mod: This is easy: simply force people to submit votes to the mod, though that could be very unwieldy.

Anarchist - Each night may give a bomb. Bomb will explode randomly during the next day phase. Wins if 3 he kills three people with bombs, or is the second-to-last person in the game. If bomb explodes while the anarchist has it, the anarchist doesn't die, but is revealed.

DDO Mod: Instead of making the bomb time-based, simply give the bomb a random number of "passes." Each time the bomb is passed, the count decrements. When it reaches 0, it explodes.

Mastermind - If the game is such that the mafia would win, Mastermind wins instead. Mafia meetings are anonymous while alive and Mastermind participates in them.

DDO Mod: Since there is no way to create anonymous PMs, the only way to implement this would to have all communication go through the mod which, again, would be very unwieldy. Better to simply have no Mafia PM at all until Mastermind is killed.

Jailer/Interrogator - If town No Lynches, may choose a target; Target is immune to all other night actions; Target is roleblocked; May converse with target; Appears anonymous to target; May kill target.

DDO Mod: Again, no way to have anonymous PMs. However, my take would be to have the target imprisoned during the next Day phase. The target cannot participate in the Day phase thread, and communicates with the anonymous Jailer via the mod. Since Day phases are generally longer, and only involves those two people, that might be doable.

Lightkeeper - If killed, all posts are anonymous the next Day phase.

DDO Mod: Yeah, this one is just right out.

Disguiser - May select a target each night; if target dies then the Disguiser will steal his identity.

DDO Mod: In Epic, if I disguise someone, my role and name appear in the graveyard, when actually my target is dead. My target appears alive to the rest of the town, but it is actually me talking. Unless people are willing to share their accounts (NOT RECOMMENDED) this role can't really be used in the game.

Ventriloquist - May force other players to say things.

DDO Mod: The Vent could submit the phrases to be said to the mod, who instructs the target to say them, but in Epic, the targets aren't aware they are being Vented unless someone points it out, so this would defeat the purpose of the Vent.

Fiddler - Selects a target each night; target cannot see other's chat the next day; not part of Mafia PM/Meeting.

DDO Mod: No way to implement this in DDO.

Cthulhu - Any non-cult that visits Cthulhu goes insane and their text is garbled unless cured by Shrink. Wins with Cult.

DDO Mod: We could force the person to use a filter in the manner of the Christianity: A Crack in Time mafia.
TUF
Posts: 21,309
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2012 9:40:26 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/9/2012 9:26:51 AM, drafterman wrote:
Roles not commonly found in DDO
These roles I have never seen, or only seen 1 or twice in DDO games here, though, theoretically, they could be used in DDO games here.

Snoop - Learns items held by target. (Guns, vests, etc.)
Journalist/Informant - Learns investigative results of target.
Mortician - Learns true role of target in graveyard
Sheriff - 1-shot day vig, identity revealed
Deputy/Sniper - 1-shot day vig, identity not revealed
Governor - Can change lynch target or force No lynch; 1-shot
Agent/Spy - Knows non-town roles; can send anonymous messages to non-town roles; Spy knows and can message all roles
Town Crier - Can "cry"
Shrink - Prevents conversions; converts Killer to Villager
Samurai - Immune to conversions; kills the first 2 people that try to convert it
Priest - Discovers roles of anyone that visits him; kills visiting Werewolves; if killed, 50% chance to: convert Town-sided killer to Villager; 3rd Party killer to Survivor; Mafia-sided killer to Traitor
Judge - Vote only counts if it is the hammer
Gallis - Appears as Villager to self; can only be lynched with a minority of votes
Treestump - Cannot vote; Cannot be killed directly except by Werewolf
Virgin - If lynched, prevents all deaths the following night
Oracle - Each night selects a target; if killed, target's role is revealed
Enchantress - May give out a single crystal; Person with crystal may use it a-la an Oracle
Dreamer - Unless visited at night, has a dream; dream reveals either A) a person that is innocent or B) three people at least one of which is guilty
Gunsmith - Gives out guns each night; Guns grant 1-shot day vig with 50% chance to reveal identity
Santa - If not visite, may investigate people like a sane cop and learns true alignment; may give: guns, vests, bread, and crystals to an additional second target
Blacksmith - Gives out vests; Vests grant 1-shot bulletproof
Baker - Gives out 2 bread each night; if dies, everyone without bread dies at the end of the phase; everyone with bread consumes a bread at the end of the phase
Mimic - May target a person each night; if they target a Town-sided role, the Mimic steals that role and the target becomes a Villager; if they target a non-Town-sided role, the mimic becomes a Villager
Turncoat - If killed by the mafia, becomes a Traitor
Saboteur - Selects a target each night; if target has a gun and tries to use it, gun will backfire and kill them
Yakuza - May sacrifice self to recruit target into the mafia; target becomes a Mafia goon
Actress - Selects a target each night; learns target's role; if dies, appears as target's role in Graveyard
Tailor - Knows all roles in game; Gives out "suits" corresponding to a role; if target dies, they will appear as the role of their suit
Enforcer - Prevents conversions
Quack - Mafia-sided doctor; not part of Mafia PM/Meeting
Poisoner - Poisons a target each night; target dies at the end of the next night; Doctors can cure and prevent poisonings
Interceptor - Selects a target each night; of the people that visit target, randomly kills one; all other visiters learn the identity of the Interceptor
Witch - Selects a target each nightl if target is visited by a non-mafia player, target dies
Voodoo Lady - Selects a target and a word each night; if target says the world during the next day, target dies
Thief - Steals items held by target (guns, vests, bread, crystals)
Paparazzi - If lynched, may choose to reveal a player's role
Paralyzer - At any point during the day, may "lock" the votes
Forger - 50% chance to replace target's will
Monk - Selects a target each night; target is death-proof that night and the following day; if target would have died during that time, the Monk acrews a "save." Wins if it acrews 2 saves or if two nights and days pass without anyone dying.
Zombie - May infect a person each night. Becomes a Zombie at the beginning of the next Night. Killed by Doctors.
Lover - Selects a person to "love." If either of the pair dies, so does the other. Wins if target surives the game.
Angel - Is randomly assigned to a person. Has a 1-shot protect power that makes them unkillable that night and the next day phase. Wins if target survives the game, even if the Angel is dead.
Lyncher - Chooses a person at the beginning of the game. Wins if that person gets lynched.
Warlock - Each night guesses the results of the following Day Phase's lynch (including No lynch). Wins after 2 successful guesses (not necessarily consecutively)
Prophet - At the beginning of the game, chooses a Day or Night phase. Wins if the game ends on the chosen phase.
Alien - Each night "probes" a player. Wins if all living players have been probed.
Werewolf - Each night may try to guess the role of a player. If guesses correctly, target dies (this death cannot be prevented) and is immune to being killed during the next Day phase. If guesses incorrectly, is revealed to the town.
Amnesiac - Once per game, may select a person in the graveyard Assumes that person's role, including win condition.
Creepy Girl - May give out a single doll. Holder of the doll may pass to another person during the night. Creepy girl wins if person holding the doll dies by any means.
Traitor - Mafia that is not in the Mafia PM/Meeting
Autocrat - If the game is such that the town would win, Autocrat wins instead.
Politician - Votes count as double. Every other night, his alignment (town/mafia) is randomly chosen.

I don't see how alot of these can work on DDO. Epic mafia is structured alot differently, and there is such a diversity of roles that it would make it complicated to use one of these roles without implicating the other.

I concede their are some fun looking ones like: Amnesiac, Alien, zombie, paralyzer.
But other ones like: Phrophet, thief, witch, baker, blacksmith, I can't see these ones being used alot.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2012 3:31:51 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I always turn to Epic Mafia for inspiration while creating new mafia games. This is an excellent resource drafterman! +1 internet for you.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2012 3:35:26 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/9/2012 3:31:51 PM, tvellalott wrote:
I always turn to Epic Mafia for inspiration while creating new mafia games. This is an excellent resource drafterman! +1 internet for you.

I tried EpicMafia once.......its Mafia compared to DDO FAILS.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2012 3:40:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/9/2012 3:35:26 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 2/9/2012 3:31:51 PM, tvellalott wrote:
I always turn to Epic Mafia for inspiration while creating new mafia games. This is an excellent resource drafterman! +1 internet for you.

I tried EpicMafia once.......its Mafia compared to DDO FAILS.

It's a completely different style of mafia. It's very fun if you get a good player group.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...