Beginners: The Drafter Games - DAY PHASE ONE

Hardcore.Pwnography
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2012 8:05:26 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Introduction to Mafia:

Mafia is a game that pits an uninformed majority (the Town) against an informed minority (the Mafia). The mafia knows who they are, and (by process of elimination) who the town is. The mafia can coordinate strategies in a private PM. Each towns-person, however, doesn't know anything about anyone else. They could be town or mafia. The towns-people can only communicate publicly in the Day Phase threads.

The object of the game is to eliminate all opposing factions. The game is divided into Day and Night phases. The Day Phases involve deliberation and discussion about who could be a member of the Mafia, with the goal of getting the Mafia lynched. At any point in the day, you may Vote To Lynch a player using the following syntax: "VTL Drafterman." Of course, you would replace my name with the name of the player you are voting. Bolding your votes is required; unbolded votes will not count. If you wish to remove your vote, simply Unvote. Lastly, you can decide not to vote anyone by Voting To Not Lynch, or VTNL. Once a majority has been reached, votes are locked and the Day Phase will be ended with that person's death.

The Night Phases involve the use of abilities. Towns-persons and Mafia may be granted roles which grant them the use of abilities. What these abilities do is explained to each person in a PM. In addition to the use of abilities, the mafia may select an individual to die. This is known as a night kill, or NK. Who dies will be revealed at the beginning of the next Day phase.

The town wins when all mafia are dead. The mafia wins when they equal the number of towns people, since they can control the vote.

Terms, acronyms, and abbreviations:

Alignment - your status as Town, Mafia, or 3rd Party (anything not Town or Mafia).
Bandwagon - A "wagon" consists of the individuals voting for a person. Bandwagoning usually refers to hopping on such a wagon blindly or without clearly articulating your reasons.
BP - Bulletproof, a person immune to night kills.
Buddying - A tactic by mafia where they agree with or support towns people in an attempt to look innocent in return.
Bussing - When the mafia allow, or help, get one of their own members lynched, in order to look innocent in return, or to avoid suspicion.
Claim - Either Character Claim or Role Claim. This is a request to reveal this part of your Role.
Counter Claim - In most cases, roles are unique per game. A counter-claim is when one person challenges another person's role-claim by claiming the same role.
Fake Claim - Since your character or role can be indicative of your alignment, mafioso's usually invent fake claims to avoid suspicion. Cna also be done by Towns-persons trying to perform some sort of gambit.
FOS - Finger of suspicion. Indicates that you suspect someone of being mafia, but usually not enough to place a vote on them.
Hammer - Placing the last vote on someone to get them lynched.
JK - Jailkeeper, a combination of doctor and roleblocker.
LYLO - Lynch or Lose, a situation where the towns-people only outnumber the mafia by 1. Since the mafia gets a kill at night and this would tie them with the town and earn them a win, it is necessary for the town to lynch a mafia in this situation or they lose.
Modkill - You break my rules - I kill you. I will also retroactively convert you into a survivor such that you can't even claim a win with your original faction.
MYLO - Mislynch and Lose, a situation where the towns-people outnumber the mafia by 2. A mislynch gives the mafia a free kill which, when combined with the mafia night kill, allows the mafia to win. Barring irrefutable results, MYLO generally results in no lynch, which merely leads to LYLO.
NK - night kill, any kill performed at night, though usually refers to the mafia night kill.
PM - Private message. Players are only permitted to create or talk in Private Messages set up by the mod.
PR - Power Role, a role with some ability, either passive or active. Towns people without a power role are referred to as "Vanillas" while mafiosos without a power role are referred to as "Goons"
RVS - Random Voting Stage. When there is no information to go on, but you need to get the game moving, generally you'll pressure someone randomly.
Scum - Anyone that is not aligned with the town.
Scum-tell - some trait, or "tell" that indicates a person may be scum.
Softclaim - dropping hints, but not out-right claiming, to be a specific character or role.
SK - Serial Killer, a third party, night killing role.
WIFOM - Wine In Front Of Me. A subtle and complex type of psychology. Best explained here: http://mafiascum.net......

Rules:

1. The only PMs you are allowed to use to talk about this game with other players are the PMs that I have specifically created for that purpose. Violation results in death.
2. Day phases will last until a majority vote has been reached or 48 hours has passed, whichever comes first. If the time-limit is reached, I will rely on Plurality Voting: whichever player (or VTNL) has the most votes will be lynched. Ties result in a No Lynch.
3. Night phases will last until everyone submits their night action or 48 hours has passed, whichever comes first. If the time-limit is reached, your action is forfeit.
4. If you are not active for an entire phase, I will ping you to get you active. Exception: if you have no night actions to perform, you obviously won't be active during the night phase.
5. If you are not active for a Day-Night-Day cycle, or you fail to respond to two pings (see #4), you will be replaced.
6. You may not cut-and-paste from any game PM into the Day Phase thread. You must always paraphrase. Violation results in death.
7. All game related questions should be directed to me, via PM. You don't have to create a PM, you may use your Role PM or mafia PM.

Set-Up:

This round includes an Open Setup. This means that all the roles will be known publicly. This game involves the following roles:

Town - 1x Cop, 1x Doctor, 5x Vanilla
Mafia - 1x Role-Cop, 2x Goon

Cop - Learns players' alignments.
Doctor - Protects players from the night kill.
Vanilla - No abilities.
Role-Cop - Learns players' roles.
Goon - No abilities (may still perform the Mafia night kill).

Resources:
(note: Mafia at DDO is its own beast and follows no set rules, even if we usually abide by common conventions. Keep that in mind).
http://wiki.epicmafia.com......
http://mafiascum.net......

-Drafterman

Additional Notes:

I know this seems a bit much, but most of these things you don't need to know for everyday mafia play, it just serves as a reference. With that said, good luck and have a great game.

I'm sure you all will get to know how this game works as you play along. Have fun!
Hardcore.Pwnography
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2012 8:06:55 PM
Living Players

1. Kyro90
2. Zaradi
3. Contra
4. Oldfrith
5. Jordan56
6. Airmax
7. Fubar
8. Thett3
9. The Super Tough, Super Cool, TUF
10. The Master of Chiefs, OberHerr

With 12 Players, it takes 6 Votes to lynch.

Have fun and good luck!
MasterKage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2012 8:10:40 PM
Uhh...this is were you guys post, btw.

Hopefully this game isn't as inactive as the 6x was.
This signature is full of timey wimey wibbly wobbly stuff...
Oldfrith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2012 8:11:06 PM
VNTL

uncaps.

So! DP 1.
You know how people, when they don't know the meaning of a word, automatically think it's appropriate?
Well, How about this one:
Schloop-Schloop-Ping-a-Pang-bong
Which means:
To play a vigorous game of monopoly
fubar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2012 8:11:18 PM
VOTE kyro90
LordKnukle is your mentor; he posted in the Announcement thread; we're explicitly told not to post in the Announcement thread; therefore die.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2012 8:11:56 PM
At 2/20/2012 8:11:18 PM, fubar wrote:
VOTE kyro90
LordKnukle is your mentor; he posted in the Announcement thread; we're explicitly told not to post in the Announcement thread; therefore die.

Lol.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2012 8:12:46 PM
Band with fubar, VTL kyro90
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Oldfrith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2012 8:16:18 PM
At 2/20/2012 8:11:06 PM, Oldfrith wrote:
VNTL

uncaps.

So! DP 1.

Meh, I'll undo that for a bit

undo VTNL
You know how people, when they don't know the meaning of a word, automatically think it's appropriate?
Which means:
Hardcore.Pwnography
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2012 8:16:52 PM
Vote Count

VTNL - 1/6 - Oldfrith
Kyro - 2/6 - Thett, Fubar

Okay, just to highlight some points

Town Goal: The goal of the town is to determine who the mafia are, who the bad guys are through communication in the DP. They try to kill the mafia members through votes to lynch. When the lynch bar reaches the 6/6 point, that member is then dead and his affiliation will be revealed. The town wins when there are no mafia members left.

Mafia Goal: The goal of the bad guys is to try to get the town to lynch, or kill their own players through deception. Thus, reducing the town numbers. The mafia win when the town members equal the amount of mafia members.
Oldfrith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2012 8:17:26 PM
VOTE kyro90

So... If someone else does something stupid, they should die?
Which means:
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2012 8:19:22 PM
At 2/20/2012 8:17:26 PM, Oldfrith wrote:
VOTE kyro90

That's not a reason to lynch someone. But we might as well get a claim from kyro for random pressuring.

Btw I win with the town.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
Hardcore.Pwnography
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2012 8:19:31 PM
At 2/20/2012 8:17:26 PM, Oldfrith wrote:
VOTE kyro90

No, the reason why people are voting for kyro is to try to pressure him into claiming something. This way, as town, you guys can learn the roles of more people and get a better understanding of who mafia or town are, so you can lynch the right people.
Oldfrith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2012 8:23:36 PM
At 2/20/2012 8:19:46 PM, TUF wrote:
Everyone one please post: I win with the town.

Trust no one is my current rule.
Which means:
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2012 8:26:20 PM
At 2/20/2012 8:23:36 PM, Oldfrith wrote:
At 2/20/2012 8:19:46 PM, TUF wrote:
Everyone one please post: I win with the town.

Trust no one is my current rule.

I am a vanilla townie.
kyro90
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2012 8:32:43 PM
Uhh... Wtf just happened??? KNUCKLE!!! YOU GOT ME VOTED!!! Lol. Well I am sorry to disapoint you all but I really cannot tell you my role.... I am greatly sorry...
Allow me to give you my card....
Oh you cant read? Pitty. It says,
You are now holding the card of the Awesome-Steller-Second-to-none-hot-cool-funny-incredible-magical-beautious-cuddly-warm-kitty-kat-like Secretary
MasterKage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2012 8:33:25 PM
At 2/20/2012 8:32:43 PM, kyro90 wrote:
Uhh... Wtf just happened??? KNUCKLE!!! YOU GOT ME VOTED!!! Lol. Well I am sorry to disapoint you all but I really cannot tell you my role.... I am greatly sorry...

Lol, you do this every mafia game.

*exits the thread*
This signature is full of timey wimey wibbly wobbly stuff...
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2012 8:35:03 PM

Why can't you tell us? Is it that bad of a role?
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2012 8:38:05 PM

He can't tell us his role because he is mafia. Good job guys we found our first mafia!
everyone VTL kyro :)
Jordan56
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2012 8:38:08 PM

VTL Kyro Kyro if you claim the doctor can easily protect you. You are looking scummy by not claiming as it would of been easier to just say you were vanilla.
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2012 8:38:48 PM
VTL TUF

not all caps
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Hardcore.Pwnography
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2012 8:39:16 PM
At 2/20/2012 8:38:05 PM, TUF wrote:

He can't tell us his role because he is mafia. Good job guys we found our first mafia!
everyone VTL kyro :)

lol stop taking advantage of everyone. (:
Jordan56
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2012 8:39:21 PM

Also the only important town roles is doctor and cop. So unless your doctor you shouldn't claim.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2012 8:40:00 PM
At 2/20/2012 8:38:48 PM, Contra wrote:
VTL TUF

not all caps

Lol. Second mafia right here.
Viper-King
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2012 8:40:09 PM
At 2/20/2012 8:35:03 PM, Zaradi wrote:

Why can't you tell us? Is it that bad of a role?

Either he just outed that he was one of the two power roles in the Town, he's the Role-Cop of the Mafia, or he's lying to boost his ego and he's either a Goon or Vanilla. *Leaves thread*
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2012 8:40:45 PM
At 2/20/2012 8:40:00 PM, TUF wrote:
At 2/20/2012 8:38:48 PM, Contra wrote:
VTL TUF

not all caps

Lol. Second mafia right here.

This is easier than I thought. They're practically letting us know who they are.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...