Jump to topic:

The Resistance! Game 2 Signups

drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 9:10:00 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Ok, so I'm adding a slot and running this game again.

Introduction:
The Resistance is a mafia-type game, as stated. The players represent a Resistance Cell trying to commit acts of terrorism against the Tyrannical Empire. A majority of the players represent true members of the Resistance, whereas a minority (slightly under half) are Imperial Spies that have infiltrated the cell and are attempting to sabotage the Resistance's plans.

Each side has an equal number of bases, the objective of which is to destroy all the bases belonging to the other side.

Game Play:
1. One person is chosen to be the "Leader."
2. The Leader is given a set number of plans (usually slightly less than half the number of players).
3. The Leader must come up with a "proposal" to distribute those plans to specific players (he may include himself).
4. Players deliberate and vote on the proposal (Yes/No).
5. From there, two things can happen:

Case A:
6a. If the plan does not pass (a majority of players vote No), leadership passes to the next person, who also submits a proposal.
7a. If 5 proposals are vetoed in a row, a Resistance base is destroyed.

Case B:
6b. If the plan does pass (a majority of players vote Yes), the plans are distributed to the designated players.
7b. The designated players then secretly PM the mod to either "Allow" or "Sabotage" the plans. Resistance members must allow the plans to proceed, but Imperial Spies have the option to either allow or sabotage.
8b. The results are revealed to the players publicly. If no player sabotaged the plans, an Imperial Base is destroyed. If at least one player sabotaged the plans, a Resistance Base is destroyed.
9b. Leadership passes to the next player, and play continues until all bases for one team are destroyed.

Notes:
1. This game works well being played in a single thread.
2. To avoid meta-gaming based on time, requiring all players to PM the mod is necessary, even though Resistance players don't have a choice. This prevents people going: "Well X-player wasn't online when the plans were being discussed, so he has to be Resistance."
3. The number of "sabotage" votes is revealed to the players publically, so they know, for certain, that at least that many players of those who received the plans must be Imperial Spies. The ability to optionally allow the plans to proceed can help hide the number of Imperial Spies.
4. There is no private communication among Imperial Spies, though they know each other's identities. This adds an element of risk considering #3. If more than one Imperial Spy has received a plan, and they all sabotage, they reveal too much information, if they all allow, then they've sacrificed a base, yet they can't communicate to collude on who should allow and who should sabotage.
5. This game is actually very simple. I got some responses from people that expressed confusion over this game, but I'm not sure how I can explain it any more simply. The plans don't represent anything, they're macguffins. At it's core the game is about trying to find who the spies are within a certain number of turns. The leader chooses two people and everyone is informed whether or not there are spies among the chosen people. All of the other elements simply give the game flavor and make it more interesting. There aren't any behind the scenes actions (other than the chosen players PMing the mod with their decision to sabotage or not).

I've decided to add a player. Not sure what the ideal number is, so I'm just going to keep increasing until we get there.

Players:
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 9:38:11 AM
I think I understand the game a little bit better now. Before I was just kind of picking players randomly, and saying yes.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 9:40:42 AM
Descriptive Example of Game Play:
Players: Bob, Fred, George, Frank, Ralph
Spies are Fred and George
Bob starts out as Leader.

1. Players discuss who should receive the plans. At the beginning of the game, there is no information to go on and, thus, nothing really to discuss. The first proposal is just a random guess. No discussion. Players wait for Leader (Bob) to make a proposal.

2. At any time, the Leader makes his proposal by designating players to receive the plans. The proposal is entirely at the Leader's discretion. He may wait for players to discuss and/or agree, he may factor in or ignore whatever suggestions he or she wants. Bob proposes that George and Ralph receive the plans.

3. Players then discuss the merits or drawbacks of said plan and convince others to vote for or against the plan. Again, since the first proposal is a random guess and there is no information to go on, it should pass without any objection. No discussion. Players vote for proposal.

4. If the proposal passes, the designated players PM the mod to inform him of their desire to accept the plans or sabotage them. Resistance members may only accept. George chooses to Sabotage the plans. Ralph must accept the plans.

5. Players are then notified of the results, and what base was destroyed. If any player sabotaged the plans, a Resistance base is destroyed. If no player sabotaged the plans, an Imperial base is destroyed. The players are notified that 1 person sabotaged the plans and, therefore, a Resistance base was destroyed.

6. Leadership passes to the next person and play repeats. Leadership passes to Fred. With new information, players speculate as to who (George or Ralph) may be the spy. At his discretion, Fred makes a new proposal: George and Frank. Players then discuss the validity of such a proposal since George was on the original proposal and may be a spy. Ultimately, the players vote against the proposal

7. If a proposal does not pass, leadership passes to the next player. Leadership passes to George. Players may continue to discuss an appropriate proposal but, having already heard the arguments, George chooses completely different people, selecting Fred and Frank. This proposal is passed and Fred chooses to sabotage, destroying another Resistance base. The players now know that one of Fred and Frank are spies and one of George and Ralph are spies. However, with only one base left, they have to choose carefully....

And so on.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 9:41:42 AM
At 3/5/2012 9:38:11 AM, TUF wrote:
I think I understand the game a little bit better now. Before I was just kind of picking players randomly, and saying yes.

At the beginning, yes, since you have no information to go off of. It's a bit like mafia like that, were you have no results and just have to pick random people.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 12:13:26 PM
1. Zaradi
2. TUF
3. LDF
4. F-16
5. Lannan13
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~