Quick Poll/Advanced Warning and Idea

royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2012 3:00:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Quick Poll/Advanced Warning
My Fanfiction Mafia game will be based on at least one of the following two HP FF series: James Potter Series by G. Norman Lippert (www.jamespotterseries.com) and the Alexandra Quick Series by Inverarity (inverarity.livejournal.com).

Is anybody familiar with these series at all? If so, please PM me.

In addition, I will be having trivia in the game, so it might be a good idea to start reading the books.

Idea
Basically, I want to host a 2-in-1 game; each player will have a Universe A character and role and a Universe B character and role. (There will be a mechanic for switching between the Universes, but I will not reveal the mechanism at this time). Affiliations and roles obviously may switch between the Universes, and the game ends when it finishes in one Universe, so players have to think more strategically in order to win. Some town players in Universe A will be scum in Universe B and vice versa. The idea is to make backstabbing and careful play more common.

What do you think about this notion?
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2012 3:53:07 PM
I am not familiar with the fanfiction am mixed on the idea of trivia. Trivia, when done well could be enjoyable but then again, mafia games are about deception from the scum and analysis from the town on finding scum. So, not a fan of trivia but that is just me.

I think it will be extremely complicated to pull off so if you think you can do it, go for it. But one mistake and the whole thing could become severely imbalanced and crumble. So, it really depends on how hard you are willing to work to carefully balance it.
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2012 3:57:38 PM
The themes themselves are extremely obscure which could be a problem. A similar idea was once tried in Askbob's Sherlock Holmes game. There were fictional and non-fictional characters. The problem, in general, was that the fictional couldn't see the non-fictional and vice versa (by not see, they'd get wrong investigative results and so forth) . A similar idea to alternate universes.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2012 3:59:25 PM
At 3/9/2012 3:53:07 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
I am not familiar with the fanfiction am mixed on the idea of trivia. Trivia, when done well could be enjoyable but then again, mafia games are about deception from the scum and analysis from the town on finding scum. So, not a fan of trivia but that is just me.

Fair enough. I will drop the trivia.
I think it will be extremely complicated to pull off so if you think you can do it, go for it. But one mistake and the whole thing could become severely imbalanced and crumble. So, it really depends on how hard you are willing to work to carefully balance it.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2012 4:00:02 PM
At 3/9/2012 3:57:38 PM, Logic_on_rails wrote:
The themes themselves are extremely obscure which could be a problem. A similar idea was once tried in Askbob's Sherlock Holmes game. There were fictional and non-fictional characters. The problem, in general, was that the fictional couldn't see the non-fictional and vice versa (by not see, they'd get wrong investigative results and so forth) . A similar idea to alternate universes.

I will take a look at that game.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2012 9:07:51 PM
At 3/9/2012 6:18:36 PM, drafterman wrote:
When you think about it, aren't themed mafia games a form of fan-fiction themselves?

That is so true! (Although I would say it is more of a fan-created video game seeing as the results are determined by the players.)
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2012 7:58:50 AM
I realize that the themes are obscure, but I have warned everyone ahead of time, so I will be keeping them. You have plenty of time to do research and/or read the books.

Quickipedia is a Wiki dedicated to the Alexandra Quick Series, and there are resources for you to research the JP series as well in case you are not inclined to read any of the books.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2012 8:08:50 AM
Sounds like an interesting cocnept. The only way to know if it will work or not is if we play.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2012 8:13:17 AM
At 3/10/2012 7:58:50 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
I realize that the themes are obscure, but I have warned everyone ahead of time, so I will be keeping them. You have plenty of time to do research and/or read the books.

Quickipedia is a Wiki dedicated to the Alexandra Quick Series, and there are resources for you to research the JP series as well in case you are not inclined to read any of the books.

I don't care about obscure themes. While it adds an additional level of entertainment for those that know it, I don't think it really detracts from those that don't know it. I played Misfits, Hunger Games, and DBZ mafia without any issues.

But that also depends on how much the series plays a role. For example, Inheritance dependend HEAVILY on knowing about the Eregon universe, what with dragon-rider pairs, etc. and I was a bit lost at times. But, w/e, people will play regardless. A fun game is a fun game.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2012 9:35:13 AM
At 3/10/2012 8:13:17 AM, drafterman wrote:
At 3/10/2012 7:58:50 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

I don't care about obscure themes. While it adds an additional level of entertainment for those that know it, I don't think it really detracts from those that don't know it. I played Misfits, Hunger Games, and DBZ mafia without any issues.

Very true. Thanks :)
But that also depends on how much the series plays a role. For example, Inheritance dependend HEAVILY on knowing about the Eregon universe, what with dragon-rider pairs, etc. and I was a bit lost at times. But, w/e, people will play regardless. A fun game is a fun game.

I will try to minimize this.