Jump to topic:

Mafia Theory: Modkilling alternative.

drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2012 10:12:18 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Modkilling. Basically this is any time the moderator of a mafia game removes a player from the game outside of the provided game mechanics. It is generally used to combat game imbalance through violations of the rules, be they inadvertant or deliberate.

For example: cutting and pasting your role PM generally results in being mod-killed. Trolling a game, also, modkill.

Now, I don't disagree with modkilling and believe it to be an appropriate response to certain actions. However, I wonder if mods would benefit from additional weapons in our arsenal?

In my OP for CYOA, I note that the penalty for violating the "No Side Bet" was automatic forfeiture of that player's night actions. I call this: Mod Neutering. I wonder if it can be used as a more appropriate punishment/response in situations where mod-killing may be too extreme.

I agree that, regarding violations that extremely upset game balance, eliminating the player may be the only appropriate course of action. However, there are lesser violations which we might want to deter but where killing the player is overkill. Hence, Mod Neutering.

Basically, they can't do anything that night. They can't perform any abilities granted by their role and they can't perform any other abilities, such as a factional kill. I wonder if taking away any passive abilities (BP, PGO) would be appropriate as well. The player stays in the game and is more likely learn from any mistakes.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2012 10:31:51 AM
I agree that modkilling can be too harsh. But I guess it just depends on the crime. Like if a mafia member went berserk and outed his whole mafia team then id definitely mod kill him. Role pasting pms, I would probably just turn him into vanilla.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2012 10:51:42 AM
I will come to your games wearing a cup. I refuse to allow you to harm my mafia tra-la-la.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...