Jump to topic:

Should nk'd townies be prefered replacements*

F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2012 10:25:25 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
There are two major ways a townie can be eliminated from a mafia game: lynched or night killed. (There are other ways too but aren't very common.)

The reason a player is night killed by the mafia (especially early in the game) is due to the skill of the player, i.e. players are night killed just for being them. A good example is me getting killed first in CYOA, Drafterman getting killed first in Hunger games, Bluesteel in Harry Potter mafia, Medic getting killed in a whole bunch of games, the list goes on. None of these kills are based on in-game mechanics so there is an inherent unfairness that those players are eliminated from the game.

Mis-lynches on the other hand are usually the result of what is happenning in the game. Players can be mislynched due to
a) Scummy behavior
b) Scummy claim
c) Poor play on the part of their teammates

While it is not always the fault of the lynched player, a) is purely their fault, b) is partly the mod's idea for a balanced game and c) is the fault of other townies playing badly. All of these reasons depend on what is happenning in the game and players are rarely lynched just for being them.

Taking my own example, I was lynched in Death-in-Mystere, (although the game was at MYLO), I didn't feel cheated out of the game as I know it was just how the game went and maybe I didn't play as well as I could have. In CYOA on the other hand, I did feel it somewhat unfair that I was eliminated so early for no fault of mine. (I did come back as a replacement albeit with a character that wasn't chosen by me) but I am talking about the general idea.

So, the question is this: should night killed players be given preference to be replacements over players that are lynched?

Note: I am not entirely in support of the affirmative. As a mod, I have often put players that are lynched back into the game over those that were night killed. It is a thought that I want to hear opinions from others about.
Viper-King
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2012 10:28:42 PM
I think it's better to put night-killed players who were killed on NP1and NP2 since they don't have a lot of chance to play. Lynches usually happen on DP3- DP4 so I guess I would prefer players that are night-killed.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2012 10:30:46 PM
At 3/21/2012 10:25:25 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
There are two major ways a townie can be eliminated from a mafia game: lynched or night killed. (There are other ways too but aren't very common.)

The reason a player is night killed by the mafia (especially early in the game) is due to the skill of the player, i.e. players are night killed just for being them. A good example is me getting killed first in CYOA, Drafterman getting killed first in Hunger games, Bluesteel in Harry Potter mafia, Medic getting killed in a whole bunch of games, the list goes on. None of these kills are based on in-game mechanics so there is an inherent unfairness that those players are eliminated from the game.

Mis-lynches on the other hand are usually the result of what is happenning in the game. Players can be mislynched due to
a) Scummy behavior
b) Scummy claim
c) Poor play on the part of their teammates

While it is not always the fault of the lynched player, a) is purely their fault, b) is partly the mod's idea for a balanced game and c) is the fault of other townies playing badly. All of these reasons depend on what is happenning in the game and players are rarely lynched just for being them.

Taking my own example, I was lynched in Death-in-Mystere, (although the game was at MYLO), I didn't feel cheated out of the game as I know it was just how the game went and maybe I didn't play as well as I could have. In CYOA on the other hand, I did feel it somewhat unfair that I was eliminated so early for no fault of mine. (I did come back as a replacement albeit with a character that wasn't chosen by me) but I am talking about the general idea.

So, the question is this: should night killed players be given preference to be replacements over players that are lynched?

Note: I am not entirely in support of the affirmative. As a mod, I have often put players that are lynched back into the game over those that were night killed. It is a thought that I want to hear opinions from others about.

To be a good player, one needs to recognize that they are good and not let everyone else know that they are. Make little, insignificant mistakes on purpose, just don't make any big ones. The difference between 'good' and 'great' is the ability to let everyone think that you're 'average.'
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2012 10:31:14 PM
I think it is best to give the players who were night killed early top priority. This grants those players an opportunity to play. Plus, I have noticed that a few players are repeatedly targeted for kills. This permits them to bypass that problem.
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2012 10:58:34 PM
oh, by the way, I go by the order in which they were killed. since dp 1 is usually a no lynch, i guess that makes the nk 1 first replacement.
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2012 11:00:48 PM
At 3/21/2012 10:30:46 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

To be a good player, one needs to recognize that they are good and not let everyone else know that they are. Make little, insignificant mistakes on purpose, just don't make any big ones. The difference between 'good' and 'great' is the ability to let everyone think that you're 'average.'

I don't think you are very successful at doing that as I would rank you among the top players in the game and view you as a huge threat :P
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2012 11:14:27 PM
Agree 100%. Every game I run from now on will have replacements from only inside the game.

Its not so much about preserving experiences players as it is making sure people don't miss out on the whole game just because they got killed early. If you sign up for a game y,ou dont want to have it over for you by NP2. Having them as replacments makes it better for the players imo because they can keep playing the game longer.

Also, replacements coming in after DP3 or 4 havent been keeping up with the game much and thus will probably not be as effective as normal.
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2012 12:01:46 AM
At 3/21/2012 11:14:27 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
Agree 100%. Every game I run from now on will have replacements from only inside the game.

Its not so much about preserving experiences players as it is making sure people don't miss out on the whole game just because they got killed early. If you sign up for a game y,ou dont want to have it over for you by NP2. Having them as replacments makes it better for the players imo because they can keep playing the game longer.

Also, replacements coming in after DP3 or 4 havent been keeping up with the game much and thus will probably not be as effective as normal.

i completely agree with this. in my latest game, blackhawk asked to be a replacement. nothing personal against him, but i'd rather put in the people who just died. they were active in the game and knew what was going on. they are more likely to participate and have fun.
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2012 8:15:28 PM
At 3/21/2012 11:00:48 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 3/21/2012 10:30:46 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

I don't think you are very successful at doing that as I would rank you among the top players in the game and view you as a huge threat :P

I'm not, some games I just kinda get in a groove and can't hold back. Others, when I can't get going too well I'll intentionally play a little worse to not seem as good. But oh well.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"