Total Posts:12|Showing Posts:1-12
Jump to topic:

Preferred Length of Mafia OPs

Logic_on_rails
Posts: 2,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2012 3:57:22 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Simply put, I want to know what the preferences for OP length are on DDO. Do you love an intricate, detailed OP or simply no OP so you can start posting and hunting Mafia?

If people would be so inclined, could they answer the following questions:

1. How long do you like non-DP 1 OPs to be?
2. How long do you like DP 1 OPs to be?
3. Would an 8000 character OP be considered too lengthy?

Just to make note, I'm assuming the DP 1 OP would be considered longer. Also, assume that the OPs aren't decisively revealing yet are still relevant. Common sense really I hope.

If people have any other preferences with regard to OPs besides length I'd be happy to hear them. I understand that DP 1 OPs may necessitate different answers to other OPs.

Finally, if people so wish, I'd also like feedback on the same questions, except in the case of DP end scenes.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2012 4:03:49 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
1. How long do you like non-DP 1 OPs to be?
I actually prefer no OPs. Even if there is an OP, I think it should be intended to help the town rather than confuse them. After ???? mafia, I am starting to hate misleading OPs as I think the mod should be the one person that the town should be able to trust. As for the length of the OPs, the longer it is, the more info to sift through which makes it boring. Not all the townies will read OPs. We already have people who pop up in the middle of page 34 and say "summary plox."

2. How long do you like DP 1 OPs to be?
Same as above. No OP or a short, slightly helpful OP as opposed to a long one or a misleading one.

3. Would an 8000 character OP be considered too lengthy?
Yes. That is as long as a debate argument.
Mestari
Posts: 4,656
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2012 7:17:22 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I don't mind how long OPs are but I believe they shout be short enough not to detract from the game and long enough to be informative. Deception is okay, and they should be able to progress the game enough to avoid stagnation without taking away the need for the players to work.
Rules of Mafia

1. Mestari is never third party.
2. If Mestari claims an intricate and page long TP role, he's telling the truth.
3. Mestari always jointly wins with the town.
3b. If he doesn't he's mafia.
3c. If he was mafia you wouldn't suspect him in the first place.
4. If you lynch Mestari you will lose because he will be the third party Doctor or some other townie power role.
5. DP1 lynches are good.
6. The answer is always no.
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2012 12:49:58 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
1. How long do you like non-DP 1 OPs to be?

1-2 paragraphs. More than that and alot of people prolly won't read the whole thing.

2. How long do you like DP 1 OPs to be?

Maybe 3-4 paragraphs max to set up the game and get players aquainted with the theme, help them get into their character.

3. Would an 8000 character OP be considered too lengthy?

Yes
TUF
Posts: 21,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2012 10:40:07 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/30/2012 4:20:41 PM, Hardcore.Pwnography wrote:
I like OPs, as they give information needed. If it's too long, it discourages me from reading them however.

OP's are good for the town as long as they don't give too much information away.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
TUF
Posts: 21,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2012 11:18:51 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
1. How long do you like non-DP 1 OPs to be?

I don't care a whole lot. I will eventually read it at some point. Sometimes I hold off on reading them when I want to be up in the mix of a day phase, but I always eventually read them.

2. How long do you like DP 1 OPs to be?

Length doesn't bother me. It's the girth....

3. Would an 8000 character OP be considered too lengthy?

That is kind of long. Go ahead and do it, but don't expect everyone to read up on it.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2012 4:14:31 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
@F-16

Yeah, ????? was a mistake, but I'm curious if it's made mods more wary about helping the mafia too much or making the game too confusing. At least that would be positive. I haven't played the last few games, so has it?

@logic

1. How long do you like non-DP 1 OPs to be?

Personal preference: 1 paragraph max

2. How long do you like DP 1 OPs to be?

Personal preference: 3 paragraphs max

3. Would an 8000 character OP be considered too lengthy?

Yes

Unless I really like the theme or the OP's are ridiculously well written (only Assassin's Creed comes to mind in this regard), I usually skip them and just start playing. I only go back and read them when either: 1) someone else mentions something in them or 2) I'm mafia and need ideas for how to throw town off the trail.

But it's your game... If you can make all 8000 characters somehow relevant to the game and worth reading, you can be the exception not the rule.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2012 8:33:22 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/31/2012 4:14:31 PM, bluesteel wrote:
@F-16

Yeah, ????? was a mistake, but I'm curious if it's made mods more wary about helping the mafia too much or making the game too confusing. At least that would be positive. I haven't played the last few games, so has it?

I don't think so. Most games I've been in are still pro-town-ish. I also agree with you that it is usually very difficult to win as mafia as long as town plays decently. With good townies in the game, it is always better to overpower the mafia and underpower the town and I think we see eye to eye there. ???? mafia just took it a bit too far.

In my HP game for instance, I tried to confuse the town and make the mafia pretty powerful but mafia still lost due to the skill of the town. In the other games I've been in, like Board games, it was very well-balanced, Sci-fi was somewhat pro-town, Misfits was pro-town too with the infinite shot reviver.
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2012 8:49:09 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/30/2012 3:57:22 PM, Logic_on_rails wrote:
Simply put, I want to know what the preferences for OP length are on DDO. Do you love an intricate, detailed OP or simply no OP so you can start posting and hunting Mafia?

I have no preference and each serves their own purposes. If you're just running a classic or basic themed game, I don't see the need. But if you're doing a custom theme, then it can add flavor along the lines of an RPG.

However, I am beginning to think that OPs shouldn't be used to convey information. It's just too unreliable. Town either completely ignores it, or goes WAY overboard.


If people would be so inclined, could they answer the following questions:

1. How long do you like non-DP 1 OPs to be?
2. How long do you like DP 1 OPs to be?
3. Would an 8000 character OP be considered too lengthy?

Just to make note, I'm assuming the DP 1 OP would be considered longer. Also, assume that the OPs aren't decisively revealing yet are still relevant. Common sense really I hope.

If people have any other preferences with regard to OPs besides length I'd be happy to hear them. I understand that DP 1 OPs may necessitate different answers to other OPs.

Finally, if people so wish, I'd also like feedback on the same questions, except in the case of DP end scenes.

Bascially, I don't think OPs should be anything other than flavor, such that they can be dismissed without detracting from people's ability to win. With that in mind, they can be any length.
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2012 5:49:19 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/2/2012 8:49:09 AM, drafterman wrote:
At 3/30/2012 3:57:22 PM, Logic_on_rails wrote:
Simply put, I want to know what the preferences for OP length are on DDO. Do you love an intricate, detailed OP or simply no OP so you can start posting and hunting Mafia?

I have no preference and each serves their own purposes. If you're just running a classic or basic themed game, I don't see the need. But if you're doing a custom theme, then it can add flavor along the lines of an RPG.

However, I am beginning to think that OPs shouldn't be used to convey information. It's just too unreliable. Town either completely ignores it, or goes WAY overboard.


If people would be so inclined, could they answer the following questions:

1. How long do you like non-DP 1 OPs to be?
2. How long do you like DP 1 OPs to be?
3. Would an 8000 character OP be considered too lengthy?

Just to make note, I'm assuming the DP 1 OP would be considered longer. Also, assume that the OPs aren't decisively revealing yet are still relevant. Common sense really I hope.

If people have any other preferences with regard to OPs besides length I'd be happy to hear them. I understand that DP 1 OPs may necessitate different answers to other OPs.

Finally, if people so wish, I'd also like feedback on the same questions, except in the case of DP end scenes.

Bascially, I don't think OPs should be anything other than flavor, such that they can be dismissed without detracting from people's ability to win. With that in mind, they can be any length.

*cough*

Like, say for instance, adding Drums?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2012 8:38:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
It's just a matter of flavour. Lengthy OPs worked for askbob's really thematic games and minimal OP's work for me, since I want to focus on the mechanics of the game rather than getting caught up in theme.

There is no rule of thumb.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...