Jump to topic:

The Role Play Project - Discussion

M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2012 12:06:25 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I've seen recently a lot of regulars taking interest in more role play oriented games, and this intrigued me. As far as I was aware, it always appeared to me that we only wanted to play "games" in the sense of mechanics. However, the recent trend has me wondering how far we can take this idea.

In other words, I'm introducing the Role Play Project. This would be the idea of DDO's first pure online writing based RP. Unlike many of the other RP games, there is no real mechanics to the game. This game is far more open to all of those involved. And above all, the focus is creating a story.

Here's how it works. First, an idea will have to be decided by those who are interested. Will the story be a medieval epic? A modern day fantasy? A post-apocalyptic survival story? A sci-fi war in another galaxy? It's up to everyone to decide.

Once the setting and general idea have been agreed upon, characters are created. Characters are at the control and whimsy of their RPer. There are limits, naturally, but those will be explained more in detail with the RP rules (which I will explain if there is interest).

After deciding characters, the opening scene will start and people are free to use their characters to advance the story. All posts MUST be in third person, and the idea is that they're literate and meaningful.

Basically, think of it as cooperative storytelling. At this point, I only have made this post for interest. State if you're interested, and feel free to ask any questions. I think we could really have fun doing this.
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2012 12:20:47 AM
I've actually done this on different sites, and it's quite fun. I have different ideas, depending on what kind of settings and themes we want to use. Anything from military settings to sci-fi to university to fantasy and beyond.

Yeah, I'm a bit of a nerd.

But I'm definetely interested.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2012 12:21:33 AM
At 4/6/2012 12:06:25 AM, M.Torres wrote:
I've seen recently a lot of regulars taking interest in more role play oriented games, and this intrigued me. As far as I was aware, it always appeared to me that we only wanted to play "games" in the sense of mechanics. However, the recent trend has me wondering how far we can take this idea.

Pretty far if you ask me.
In other words, I'm introducing the Role Play Project. This would be the idea of DDO's first pure online writing based RP. Unlike many of the other RP games, there is no real mechanics to the game. This game is far more open to all of those involved. And above all, the focus is creating a story.

mechanics are important though. A game needs clear ways to distinguish actions and their success rates. For instance in a D&D game I cant say as a barbarian, that I'm gonna start blastin away with fireballs, that makes no sense. Theyre need to be certain classes, Attributes, abilities etc. Mechanics are absolutely crucial to a successful RP game. Even if the mechanics are only known to the DM.

Here's how it works. First, an idea will have to be decided by those who are interested. Will the story be a medieval epic? A modern day fantasy? A post-apocalyptic survival story? A sci-fi war in another galaxy? It's up to everyone to decide.

Like a vote on the type of game? Then the mod starts on a story? Because players cant really decide on the plot for themselves, its kinda cheating to know whats coming.

Once the setting and general idea have been agreed upon, characters are created. Characters are at the control and whimsy of their RPer. There are limits, naturally, but those will be explained more in detail with the RP rules (which I will explain if there is interest).

This is good, D&D does this. Custom chars always make for a more connected experience. Makes it easier to actually act out the role.

After deciding characters, the opening scene will start and people are free to use their characters to advance the story. All posts MUST be in third person, and the idea is that they're literate and meaningful.

As long as theres a story already in place, its not really a game if I could say, advance the story so I always come out on the advantage, hence why mechanics are important as well.

Basically, think of it as cooperative storytelling. At this point, I only have made this post for interest. State if you're interested, and feel free to ask any questions. I think we could really have fun doing this.

Then its not Role-Playing. Its the DM's job to create the story, players follow it(to a certain extent). Storytelling is storytelling, RP'ing is playing a game. Games need rules, a set objective(not necessarily but it really helps), and mechanics to work, role-playing games arent the exception.

Perfect example is D&D. Do you know how many freakin rulebooks there are and monster books, and item books etc. there are for that game? And D&D is by far the undisputed champion of RP games.
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2012 12:23:18 AM
At 4/6/2012 12:20:47 AM, Zaradi wrote:
I've actually done this on different sites, and it's quite fun. I have different ideas, depending on what kind of settings and themes we want to use. Anything from military settings to sci-fi to university to fantasy and beyond.

Really? Hmmm a free-form story created by the players as they go along seems kinda pointless. Theyll all just make it so they win everytime..
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2012 12:25:09 AM
At 4/6/2012 12:23:18 AM, Buddamoose wrote:

Really? Hmmm a free-form story created by the players as they go along seems kinda pointless. Theyll all just make it so they win everytime..

There's no inherent "winning" and "losing" to it, per se. Torres's description of what he's talking about is spot on - collective story-writing. You get a basic plot (only the creater knows the specifics, but everyone gets a basic idea to go on), and then they act out the story until the end or until people get bored (the latter is more likely than the former).
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2012 12:25:10 AM

Yeah, I've done it elsewhere which is why I know it works, despite the criticism down below.

Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2012 12:26:15 AM
At 4/6/2012 12:25:10 AM, M.Torres wrote:

Yeah, I've done it elsewhere which is why I know it works, despite the criticism down below.

Where have you done it, if I may ask?
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2012 12:26:35 AM
At 4/6/2012 12:25:10 AM, M.Torres wrote:

Or up above. Haha.

But yes - to clarify there is no "winning" or "losing" per se. There is a goal, and perhaps individual character motivations, but they play out in the long term rather than "do this this and done".

Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2012 12:32:19 AM
At 4/6/2012 12:25:09 AM, Zaradi wrote:

There's no inherent "winning" and "losing" to it, per se. Torres's description of what he's talking about is spot on - collective story-writing. You get a basic plot (only the creater knows the specifics, but everyone gets a basic idea to go on), and then they act out the story until the end or until people get bored (the latter is more likely than the former).

Ahhh i see, the point is its not a game. Oh yeah, i can already see how people would just stop. Its happened in the 2(?) RP games as is, and theres only been 1 going at a time.

And I wasnt trying to say your idea is horrible M. Torres, its a good idea, just thought it was game idea not a story-writing one... Altho I still might not quite understand it >_>
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2012 12:57:27 AM
At 4/6/2012 12:56:03 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 4/6/2012 12:52:21 AM, TUF wrote:
Every time you say RP I feel you are referring to royalpaladin.

Obsession

Who wouldn't be? ;)
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2012 4:27:04 AM
At 4/6/2012 12:25:09 AM, Zaradi wrote:

It usually works best in a fanfic scenario (because then everyone has an understanding of the setting, the vibe, etc.) in my experience, but it requires some extremely active people.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2012 6:30:26 AM
Sure. But I'd ask to wait until famers story telling tournament is over. I have a limited supply of creative juices before I need to harvest more brains.

I've said too much.
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2012 8:35:58 PM
Reviving this thread. I think I'll be planning this out now. I see we have a few people interested which is good. They all seem to be quite the actives people as well. I've sent friend requests and this could be coordinated here or by PM.

The important thing now is to decide WHAT to RP.