Jump to topic:

Post limit on Day Phases and Quoting

F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2012 12:45:44 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
1) This is something that I intend to try in my next game if it gains popular support. High post counts are often a detriment to the game because anyone who comes in as a replacement will not be able to follow along. But then again, the potential harms from limiting the post counts might be greater than not doing so. Part of it depends on the game too. I'd be willing to read 200-300 posts if a game doesn't also have duels involved for instance but any more and I'd be totally discouraged. What is your opinion on whether post counts should be limited? Or rather should we limit the players who make nonsense posts and almost spam the mafia threads with absolutely ridiculous and pointless posts?

2) The second issue I wanted to ask about was why people quote 8000 characters of text to add a single line rather than just quoting the relevant text. If we limit the amount of quotes a person can make, would it help mafia games?
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2012 12:57:34 AM
1. I don't have a problem with reading long DPs, but this might just be me. If I go to work, come back and there's 400 new posts, i read 400 posts. I read over 1200 posts straight when coming in as a replacement in the HP game and wasn't bothered. So my opinion is probably biased a bit because I dont really mind long DP's, but,

A post limit kind of favors mafia imo. Consider players like Royal or Zaradi or even me. We take a long time to get lynched as mafia, if it even happens at all. I'd also assume drafterman and others would take a long time to lynch. So all mafia really has to do is argue well enough to where they're not lynched by the time the limit is reached, and they survive another day.

And sometimes the DP moves really fast, to where 250-300 posts can be reached before some players even have time to get on and post analysis.

There's also the issue of fishing for leads. If town has nothing, they usually pressure people for roles to get info, and that can take a surprisingly long time (a lot of Medic's 1000 post DP was us getting roles from people). Also, if town has to choose between 3 different people to lynch, that can take a lot of analysis to conclude.

2. Agree. I cut out stuff from the quotes if it gets long.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2012 1:00:45 AM
And the end result is the limit being essentially used to help mafia even more by shortening the amount of posts town can make.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2012 6:24:28 AM
I agree with BV, but that's not to say that you can't step in and squelch fluff posts. The problem is, there is a grey area, so it is - wait for it - mod discretion.

I see no issue stepping in and telling people to stop with the fluff, and to request that they snip quoted material.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 3:49:36 AM
I think post spamming is a bit unethical though. I am okay with people defending themselves (they should) but some players simply spam when they are mafia and hope that important info gets buried underneath the trash. I actually prefer the Logic-type posts where players post sparingly but make very long posts with tons of analysis.