Xerge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 2:07:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Introduction to Round 3:

Misinformation and Information:

In 8.2 you were introduced to a variety of roles that will commonly appear in the game of Mafia. A majority of these roles provide valuable information that help figure out who the Mafia is. In fact, you were told to trust no one but yourself, and that results could be taken at face value.

No longer. In this game, the motto is: Trust no one, not even yourself.

Roles like Cops and Watchers can take center stage, as they have an unsurpassed ability to confirm Town and Mafia alike. As such, it is not uncommon to introduce opposing roles and flavors that interfere with these results.

Roles can commonly be attached to modifiers, also known as "flavors" which alter how that ability works. The player may or may not know that their role is flavored. Common flavors that are known to players include:

ODD/EVEN - The player's role only works on ODD or EVEN night phases.
NON-CONSECUTIVE - The player can use their role on any night they want, but not two nights in a row.
X-SHOT - The player can use their role a limited number of times.
% ROLES - Not commonly seen here, but some roles only have a percentage chance (usually 50/50) of working.

However, some flavors are secret modifiers to a person's roles. These are commonly applied to Cops in the following manner:

Sane - Gets accurate results
Insane - Gets opposite results
Naive - Always gets "Innocent"
Paranoid - Always gets "Guilty"
Random - Gets random results

Though these flavors appear mostly on Cop roles, any role may be "flavored." Occasionally a role will be "Naive". Naive roles do nothing, but the user of that role doesn't know that. As stated, these kinds flavors are secret and known only to the mods until the end of the game.

There are other forms of information manipulation, but you'll have to discover these on your own.

Third Parties and Conversions

So far you've only been playing with two parties: The Town and Mafia. This game we will introduce Third Parties. These parties are in it for themselves. They are anti-town AND anti-mafia. Third Parties are also the Parties of extreme. Some are Parties by themselves, and can't rely on help from anyone else and hardly ever win unless the game is specifically balanced to support them. Others are very powerful and can exploit whatever situation the game is to leverage a win as they really don't care who, Town or Mafia, has an advantage.

Also, regardless of the validity of your results, you could at least count that, whatever their alignment was, that's what they were. Guilty or Innocent. Conversions change all that. While there are conversions that maintain a player's alignment, many change a Player's alignment. Conversions are particularly insidious as you can't rely on a player's past behavior as an indication of their current affiliation.

This game will be chaotic. I'm not sure who it favors, if it favors anyone. As the last game, enjoy and have fun. Many of the roles here you probably won't ever see again in a DDO game, but you will probably come across some of the mechanics, so pay attention!

Set-up:

This game will be a Closed Setup. No roles will be known in advance. Good luck!

Mod Note: Though this is a closed set-up, I will note that roles are not necessarily unique, which is another common element of flavored roles. Some duplicate roles complement each other, while others are red-herrings designed to make the town think.

-Drafterman
Xerge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 2:08:40 PM
Living Players
1. thephfactor
2. OberHerr
3. lannan13
4. Buddamoose
5. IFLYHIGH
6. Lordknukle
7. Airmax1227
8. vmpire
9. LK
10. Zaradi

With 10 players, it takes 6 to lynch

This day phase will end 3/14 at 3:30pm EST
Xerge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 2:10:51 PM
At 4/12/2012 2:08:40 PM, Xerge wrote:
Living Players
1. thephfactor
2. OberHerr
3. lannan13
4. Buddamoose
5. IFLYHIGH
6. Lordknukle
7. Airmax1227
8. vmpire
9. FourTrouble
10. Zaradi

With 10 players, it takes 6 to lynch

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 2:18:10 PM
I win with town. I'm doc.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 2:18:40 PM
VTL Zardi for claim

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 2:22:54 PM
At 4/12/2012 2:18:10 PM, lannan13 wrote:
I win with town. I'm doc.

Die.

VTL Lannan
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
thephfactor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 2:24:20 PM
We don't desperately need mislynches at this point.
Secretary of Drug Legalization Enforcement Who Also Loves Bacon of the FREEDO Bureaucracy
Xerge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 2:24:57 PM
Official Vote Count
Fourtrouble 1/6 - ph
thephfactor 1/6 - FT
Zaradi 1/6 - lannan
lannan 1/6 - LK

Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 2:24:58 PM
For those who didn't get my subtle one word reply:

I am counter claiming Lannan.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Xerge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 2:25:36 PM
At 4/12/2012 2:24:57 PM, Xerge wrote:
Official Vote Count
thephfactor 1/6 - FT
Zaradi 1/6 - lannan
lannan 2/6 - LK, ph

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 2:26:30 PM
Unvote
VTL LK

Only the Mafia would want to kill me.

thephfactor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 2:26:43 PM
Yes well, I would trust his claim because last time he held out for a long time and then ended up getting killed.
Secretary of Drug Legalization Enforcement Who Also Loves Bacon of the FREEDO Bureaucracy
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 2:27:56 PM
At 4/12/2012 2:26:30 PM, lannan13 wrote:
Unvote
VTL LK

Yes....because the mafia would counter claim you one the first post of the game from their character...

/end sarcasm

Think for yourself.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 2:28:18 PM
Mod Note: Though this is a closed set-up, I will note that roles are not necessarily unique, which is another common element of flavored roles. Some duplicate roles complement each other, while others are red-herrings designed to make the town think.

Unvote

Let me analyze.
thephfactor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 2:28:57 PM
At 4/12/2012 2:26:30 PM, lannan13 wrote:

*suppresses laughter*
Xerge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 2:30:05 PM
Official Vote Count
thephfactor 1/6 - FT
Lordknukle 1/6 - lannan
lannan 1/6 - ph

thephfactor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 2:31:51 PM
Unvote
Didn't mean to vote on Lannan again. Noobs ftw!

VTL FT
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 2:34:10 PM
Possibilies

Lannan is the Doc and I am not

This is merely included for the sake of analyzing everything. Assuming that I was a mafia, it would not make sense for me to CC such an important role this early in the game. One-for-one trades never benefit mafia and are incredibly stupid.

I am the Doc and Lannan is not

This is a more distinct possibility since Lannan was counter claimed. However, fake claiming Doc as TP or Mafia is never a good idea, especially as the first claim of the game with no other information. Although, Lannan is not exactly a good mafia player.

We are both Docs

The OP seems to imply that there are complementing roles as well as duplicate roles. I doubt that our roles are complementing so:

LANNAN, IS YOUR ROLE ANYTHING OTHER THAN A STANDARD DOCTOR?

Having two Docs in one game does seem very overpowered towards the town side. However, since we are likely dealing with a cult and a mafia, it seems fairly reasonable that there might be two docs.

None of us are Docs

No.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 2:36:03 PM
Questions for Lannan:

1. Can you protect yourself?

2. Is your role anything other than standard doctor?

3. What is the fourth letter of the second sentence of your role PM?

4. What is the sixth letter of the second sentence of your role PM?

If Lannan answers all of these questions correctly, then I think we are dealing with two Docs in this game.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 2:37:12 PM
Also, it is critical that no other power roles are revealed this DP.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 2:38:03 PM
He is online and yet obviously stalling.

Apparently he needs more pressure.

VTL Lannan for pressure
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 2:46:06 PM
At 4/12/2012 2:38:03 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
He is online and yet obviously stalling.

Apparently he needs more pressure.

VTL Lannan for pressure

Ok lets think this through,

Lannan is a noob(in the not a good player sense)

Now i dont think hes bad enough to claim doc on DP1 if hes not doc, but i do think hes stupid enough to claim it when he has it.

I am not vtl'ing lannan without an investigation, nor will I vtl LK as eiter could be telling the truth. Lets keep in mind that CC'ing a power role is a common mafia move.

For now VTL PH

When people ask for a claim you dont just say no, ur new here you claim first.

I win with the town.
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 2:48:35 PM
At 4/12/2012 2:34:10 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Possibilies

Lannan is the Doc and I am not

This is merely included for the sake of analyzing everything. Assuming that I was a mafia, it would not make sense for me to CC such an important role this early in the game. One-for-one trades never benefit mafia and are incredibly stupid.

Of course if hes the doc this trade would be beneficial, as the protective role would likely be dead leaving the mafia free to NK whomever they please.
I am the Doc and Lannan is not

This is a more distinct possibility since Lannan was counter claimed. However, fake claiming Doc as TP or Mafia is never a good idea, especially as the first claim of the game with no other information. Although, Lannan is not exactly a good mafia player.

Exactly, so i doubt he would do it, hes not that stupid.
We are both Docs

The OP seems to imply that there are complementing roles as well as duplicate roles. I doubt that our roles are complementing so:

LANNAN, IS YOUR ROLE ANYTHING OTHER THAN A STANDARD DOCTOR?

Having two Docs in one game does seem very overpowered towards the town side. However, since we are likely dealing with a cult and a mafia, it seems fairly reasonable that there might be two docs.

None of us are Docs

No.

Lol no indeed
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion