Jump to topic:

Mod Knowledge

drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2012 6:51:53 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
As a Mod we can learn a great deal about the playstyles and strategies of the players in our game as various roles.

Do you think it is appropriate to take knowledge you learn about as a mod in your games and then apply it in regards to pressuring and suspecting people in games in which you are a player?

For example, let's say I mod a game and I learn that someone is not good as a mafioso. Would it be acceptable for me to take that reasoning and then pressure that person in a game in which I am a player?

Perhaps the issue is lessened given that we are all allowed to mod at some point so all have access to this knowledge.
Hardcore.Pwnography
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2012 6:55:53 AM
At 4/16/2012 6:51:53 AM, drafterman wrote:
As a Mod we can learn a great deal about the playstyles and strategies of the players in our game as various roles.

Do you think it is appropriate to take knowledge you learn about as a mod in your games and then apply it in regards to pressuring and suspecting people in games in which you are a player?

For example, let's say I mod a game and I learn that someone is not good as a mafioso. Would it be acceptable for me to take that reasoning and then pressure that person in a game in which I am a player?

Perhaps the issue is lessened given that we are all allowed to mod at some point so all have access to this knowledge.

Yes, why is a big deal? It is not advantageous to anyone. In your example, you mod a game and learn someone is not a good mafioso. Others in your game would also have access to this knowledge and also know that he is not a good mafioso. Basically, I think that the people who play more and with a larger variety of people will know who's good at what, regardless of whether or not that person has modded.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2012 6:58:37 AM
At 4/16/2012 6:55:53 AM, Hardcore.Pwnography wrote:

Yes, why is a big deal? It is not advantageous to anyone. In your example, you mod a game and learn someone is not a good mafioso. Others in your game would also have access to this knowledge and also know that he is not a good mafioso. Basically, I think that the people who play more and with a larger variety of people will know who's good at what, regardless of whether or not that person has modded.

The mod has access to a great deal of information players do not. If a player is not good at being a mafioso, that might not be apparant to the town because either A) the town never pressures the person, so their lack of skill is never put to the test; and/or B) the other mafiosos effectively cover for him/her.
Hardcore.Pwnography
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2012 5:01:48 PM
At 4/16/2012 6:58:37 AM, drafterman wrote:
At 4/16/2012 6:55:53 AM, Hardcore.Pwnography wrote:

The mod has access to a great deal of information players do not. If a player is not good at being a mafioso, that might not be apparant to the town because either A) the town never pressures the person, so their lack of skill is never put to the test; and/or B) the other mafiosos effectively cover for him/her.

Yeah, but if you play long enough with different people, you'll be able to deduce the same results. Therefore, the mod does not have an advantage.
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2012 5:08:22 PM
It is all a matter of how much work and effort you put into the game.

You can mod a game without paying close attention to the day period. You can mod and only pay attention to the mafia. OR zone in on a few people or a few behavior patterns. It is all about perception and how much we observe people.

Everyone has a fair chance to gain this knowledge because anyone is allowed to mod. Also, someone can go back and read over a game with the knowledge of all the roles if they wanted to.

It's completely valid to use your modding observations in later games.
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2012 10:50:18 PM
I think it is fair to use mod knowledge as long as the game you are modding is over. If it is currently in progress, then no. I think it is quite entertaining to see how certain players act as mafia and town. In the first game I modded, it was absolutely hilarious how BlackVoid was running circles around the town. He did the same in the second game I modded but I also saw Logic's awesome strategies first hand. In my third game, I watched as town got thoroughly confused by the complicated roles but soon under Bluesteel's leadership picked up the pieces and destroyed the mafia. You can definitely gain some insight into players that way.
marcuscato
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2012 11:26:47 PM
At 4/16/2012 5:16:28 PM, Koopin wrote:
What if Innomen signs up to play mafia and reads the PMs. O_O

How do you know hes not doing it already?
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2012 3:13:19 AM
I think it is fair. People can always change their play style in the mafia games. For the longest time, F-16 would play extremely pro town. Now he doesn't care anymore, and just plays pro "will not out my role, and will let myself get lynched."
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2012 3:22:23 AM
I don't see why it is not fair. That knowledge is accessible to all, and even if it is not, it becomes available to all when it is used by the former mod. It is more unfair to have people protected from everything all of the time than it is for a mod to win one game based on that information.
Mestari
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2012 6:06:59 AM
At 4/17/2012 3:13:19 AM, TUF wrote:
I think it is fair. People can always change their play style in the mafia games. For the longest time, F-16 would play extremely pro town. Now he doesn't care anymore, and just plays pro "will not out my role, and will let myself get lynched."

It's funny because it's true. We still love you F-16.
Rules of Mafia

1. Mestari is never third party.
2. If Mestari claims an intricate and page long TP role, he's telling the truth.
3. Mestari always jointly wins with the town.
3b. If he doesn't he's mafia.
3c. If he was mafia you wouldn't suspect him in the first place.
4. If you lynch Mestari you will lose because he will be the third party Doctor or some other townie power role.
5. DP1 lynches are good.
6. The answer is always no.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2012 11:31:53 AM

Hey, that's not fair. I have been really busy lately. When I have time to type up arguments, I will do it and post a lot and carefully craft my style to play pro-town regardless of affiliation. When I have no time, I can't play at the same level. My work schedule is blame mostly because I can barely be active. Yeah, my play did suffer in recent weeks. I can't catch up on games where there are 500 posts left so I don't post at all. I don't know TUF, it wasn't intentional. Had I had more time, I would have posted more analysis. It all comes down to how much time you have on your hands.

In DDO players mafia, I was at work when I got lynched with people doing it just to end the Day Phase. If I could log on and check DDO, I would but I can't. I am just going to limit the number of games I play until I can be more active but other than that, real life is getting in the way of online games and I am not liking it.
Mestari
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2012 11:33:41 AM
At 4/17/2012 11:31:53 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

Hey, that's not fair. I have been really busy lately. When I have time to type up arguments, I will do it and post a lot and carefully craft my style to play pro-town regardless of affiliation. When I have no time, I can't play at the same level. My work schedule is blame mostly because I can barely be active. Yeah, my play did suffer in recent weeks. I can't catch up on games where there are 500 posts left so I don't post at all. I don't know TUF, it wasn't intentional. Had I had more time, I would have posted more analysis. It all comes down to how much time you have on your hands.

In DDO players mafia, I was at work when I got lynched with people doing it just to end the Day Phase. If I could log on and check DDO, I would but I can't. I am just going to limit the number of games I play until I can be more active but other than that, real life is getting in the way of online games and I am not liking it.

Then stop focusing on real life and start to pick it up in the online games. Problem solved.
Rules of Mafia

2. If Mestari claims an intricate and page long TP role, he's telling the truth.
4. If you lynch Mestari you will lose because he will be the third party Doctor or some other townie power role.
5. DP1 lynches are good.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2012 11:42:29 AM
At 4/17/2012 11:39:16 AM, Lickdafoot wrote:
DDO mafia is real life.

I think you meant your fake life is getting in the way of your real life.

This.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2012 11:45:00 AM
DDO mafia is real life.

You breaking up with me and disappearing from mafia took some of my motivation out too.
Mestari
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2012 11:46:54 AM
At 4/17/2012 11:45:00 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
DDO mafia is real life.

You breaking up with me and disappearing from mafia took some of my motivation out too.

LDF is responsible for F-16's inability to successfully play as a townie? VTL LDF. Obvious sabotage is obvious.
Rules of Mafia

5. DP1 lynches are good.
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2012 11:57:45 AM
DDO mafia is real life.

Aww. :( I've started getting back into the games (as evidenced by dp 1 of logic's game.)

If you play your cards right i *might* take you back. you have to fight for my love and affection!! :P
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2012 11:59:26 AM
At 4/17/2012 11:57:45 AM, Lickdafoot wrote:
DDO mafia is real life.

Aww. :( I've started getting back into the games (as evidenced by dp 1 of logic's game.)

If you play your cards right i *might* take you back. you have to fight for my love and affection!! :P

THANKS FOR THE EVIDENCE :p
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2012 12:07:40 PM
At 4/17/2012 11:59:26 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
DDO mafia is real life.

LOL. Yeah okay, ms. dump your guy in the middle of the debate for this:

http://homepage.mac.com...
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2012 12:11:19 PM
At 4/17/2012 12:07:40 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
DDO mafia is real life.

. . .

That's not what Bunny looks like!
Mestari
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2012 12:11:43 PM
At 4/17/2012 12:07:40 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
DDO mafia is real life.

Hey... They didn't get my good side... :(
Rules of Mafia

5. DP1 lynches are good.
Mestari
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2012 12:12:59 PM
At 4/17/2012 12:12:41 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
I love you, Bunny! <3

I love you too, Angel. <3
Rules of Mafia

5. DP1 lynches are good.
Mestari
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2012 12:15:39 PM
At 4/17/2012 12:13:52 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
You're one to talk, LDF. All of your relationships are a cover for the fact that you are this individual's lover: http://2.bp.blogspot.com...

Holy sh!t that scared me! I didn't know LDF was into charity. :p
Rules of Mafia

5. DP1 lynches are good.
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2012 12:19:08 PM
You're one to talk, LDF. All of your relationships are a cover for the fact that you are this individual's lover: http://2.bp.blogspot.com...

freaks of nature need a little TLC too :(
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2012 12:19:59 PM
At 4/17/2012 12:19:08 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:

freaks of nature need a little TLC too :(

Don't worry. :(

I'm sure we can find you someone :p

(That was mean. I'm sowwy. I didn't mean it. :( )