Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2012 7:44:37 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Mafia wins!

Mafia role summaries:

Tulle/Fourtrouble - China - Even NP Godfather, framer/lawyer
Drafterman - Afghanistan - Day JOAT - Silence, suicide bomb, politician, gunsmith, message.
Lordknukle - Uganda - Roleblocker, 1 shot bus drive
Zaradi/F-16(2) - North Korea - Sentence role cop

Town role summaries:

Medic - Russia - Cop
LDF - Singapore - RO investigator
Viper - Austria - Shrink
Caveat - UN - Mason recruiter
Budda - Honduras - Non-consective vig
Xerge - UK - Tracker/watcher
Kyro - Paraguay - Backup tracker/watcher
Fourtrouble - Norway - Beloved princess
F-16 - Canada - Permanent role stealer
IFH - Venezuela - JOAT - x1 Doc, x1 mage, x1 Census, x1 Diviner
HCP - Iceland - Fool

third party:

Logic - USA - Cult Leader
TUF - Switzerland - Survivor

Analysis:

This game didnt last as long as I had hoped, due mainly to the fact that the town didnt find a single mafia. They basically ignored the guilty result on drafterman which almost single handedly lost them the game. I really have no idea why people thought Afghanistan was town. Thats like the scummiest country drafter could have possibly claimed....

Another reason was that town basically mislynched twice on the third-parties. This game showed me that vig killing 3P is always better than lynching them. Maybe I made a mistake in putting 2 third-parties in the game, but then again, I didnt expect Logic to be lynched until really late in the game if that, based on his claim of the US. In any case, the 3P lynches really helped the mafia.

Finally, the town just didnt do a good job of analyzing behavior, or getting claims when they needed them. 2 of the mafia never had to claim anything, which was damaging for the town because LK's planned fake claim (LD) wasn't the best and would have definently faced some questioning. I dont remember anyone except Medic trying to analyze behavior in this game. The mafia didnt make any bold moves or play exceptionally well or anything. They just were able to breeze by with only drafterman facing even a small amount of FOS. The other 3 mafiosos were never suspected at all. F-16 even said that FT and LK were probably both town.

Anyway, even though this was the most one-sided game I've modded, I do think it was the most balanced role-wise. The only change I would have made if I had seen this game in advance would have been to put 1 newb on the mafia. As it was, they were all experienced players, which means there weren't as many of them on the town. But if anyone has questions about role balance, I'll happily defend it.

(also, it was a horrible idea for Budda to broadcast his vig target)

town MVP: Medic. He investigated scum 2/3 times and was the only one pushing for drafter's lynch.

Mafia didnt really have an MVP, they all played equally well.

I'll post full roles in a sec. I'd like to point out that mafia x1 Gunsmith is completely plausible. The idea is for them to give it to a bad townie and hope they shoot wrong.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2012 7:47:29 PM
Mafia:

Tulle - You are China, one of the 2 world Superpowers. You seek to become the world's strongest economic and military regime on Earth. Thus, you are the mafia godfather. Your hard working population and high resource production make you the world's largest exporter. Therefore, other nations will be reluctant to implicate you for fear of harming their trade relationship. As a result, you show innocent to investigation on even nights. Additionally, you can use your dymamic influence over the world to frame or lawyer another country each NP.

Drafterman - You are Afghanistan. You house the Taliban and a variety of other terrorist groups, including Al Qaeda. Your network of terrorist connections make you the mafia Daytime JOAT. You have the following one-shot powers:

1. Suicide Bomb - Sacrifice yourself. The last 2 people that voted for you will be roleblocked for the night.
2. Silence - Shut someone up for the rest of the DP.
3. Poli - Put a player's vote on someone, at any time.
4. Gunsmith - Give any non-mafia player a one shot day vig power.
5. Message - Send any player a message under 500 characters.

These powers can only be used during the DP.

LK - You are Uganda. You were made famous from the internet phenomenon video, Kony 2012, detailing the mass murder and brainwashing Joseph Kony and the Lord's Resistance Army have performed in your country. Each NP you can send out Kony and the LRA to roleblock somebody. Additionally, you have a one-shot power to waive the RB and bus drive 2 people instead.

Zaradi - You are North Korea. You have a hatred for both the western world and your own people, ranking as the most authoratarian state on the planet. You don't have any amazing powers, but your oppressive government monitors its people extremely closely, which allows you to deduce info about other players. Each NP you can pick a player and a number. You will learn the sentence of their role PM that corresponds with the number you picked (1 = first sentence, 2 = second sentence, etc). You win with the mafia.

Town:

Xerge - You are the United Kingdom, known for sea dominance and Piers Morgan. Your government is very active in regulating business and social services, and also monitors its citizens closely through video cameras and internet tracking. Some people worry that the the country's surveillance has grown too much (you have the highest amount of mass surveilance of all western countries) and that the people have limited privacy. But ultimately your government has good intentions in its regulations and is a respected world power. These surveillance capabilities make you the tracker/watcher. You can choose to either track or watch 1 player each night. You win with the town.

Medic - You are Russia. You're the largest and arguably most powerful country in Europe. In addition to mass resources and nuclear technoloy, your police force has an extremely large presence in the region. You have the second highest police-to-citizen ratio in the world, behind the obscure Brunei. Thus, each night you can investigate a person, and learn details of their country that will strongly hint at their allegiance. You win with the town.

Viper - You are Austria, a country in Europe. Your powers are limited, however, you are the home country of renowned psyshologist Sigmund Freud. Thus, you are the Shrink. Each night you can pick a player, and they will be unable to be recruited by the mafia that NP. You win with the town.

Mod note: The mafia have no recruiting abilities.

Budda - You are Honduras, a country in South America. Though you're mostly known for tropical fruits and being a major spanish speaking country, your most unique attribute is crime. Your country has the highest murder rate of any nation in the world, with 86 people being killed for every 100,000 members of the population. Therefore, you are the non-consecutive vig. You can kill on any NP, but can't do it twice in a row. You win with the town.

Caveat - You are the United Nations, a collective of most countries in the world whose goal is to facilitate international cooperation and peace. Therefore, you are the Mason recruiter. Each NP you can recruit a player, and if they are a member of the UN, they will join your PM. If they are not a member of the UN, you will die. You win with the town.

Modnote: Everyone is a member of the UN

Fourtrouble - You are Norway, located in northern Europe. You rank #1 on the Human Development Index (HDI) which is an indicator of living conditions and quality of life. You also rank #1 on the EIU Democracy Index for most democratic state. You are therefore the Beloved Princess. If you are lynched or vig killed, the town loses a DP. If night killed, an NP. You win with the town.

F-16 - You are Canada. Several impoverished countries in the world suffer "brain-drain", where their skilled and intelligent workers migrate to other countries to acheive better living conditions, leaving the home country with less brainpower. You're one of the main countries these people move to, as your economy and living standards are top-flight. Therefore you have a one-shot ability to select another country and brain-drain them, stripping them of their role (permanently) and taking it for yourself. You win with the town.

Kyro - You are Paraguay, in South America. You're always taking second-place to your neighbor state Uruguay, which economically is better than you in almost every way. Therefore, you're the backup. When a certain country dies (not necessarilly Uruguay), you will inherit their role. You win with the town.

HCP - You are Iceland. You have a low population, aren't known for anything, and don't even have a military. Therefore, you can (must) visit a player each night, but will do nothing to them other than show up on watcher and tracker reports. You win with the town.

IFH - You are Venezuela, located in South America. You arguably have the largest amount of crude oil reserves in the world, even above the middle east. This makes you invaluble; in the modern age, oil is crucial to the world's economy. Petroleum products are found in just about everything, ranging from vehicles to appliances to electronics. You are therefore the JOAT, with the following abilities:

x1 Doc
x1 Mage - protect someone for the next 2 NPs
x1 Census - learn how many of each party are in the game
x1 Diviner - name a role that hasn't been claimed, I'll tell you if its in the game)
You win with the town.

LDF - You are Singapore, a major country in Asia. You're the headquarter nation of APEC, the world's largest Regional Organization, dedicated to promoting economic progress and higher living standards around Asia and other areas. As home of the largest Regional Organization, each night you can investigate another player and learn what major RO they themselves are a part of. This will assist you in deducing which country they are.

You win with the town.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2012 7:47:36 PM
At 6/7/2012 7:45:27 PM, Hardcore.Pwnography wrote:
I totally called F16 and Drafter as mafia.

Dude, I was TOWN. I replaced Zaradi as mafia this day phase.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2012 7:48:33 PM
The real issue with the third parties was this bit about TUF not being converted to cult but being part of the PM. What was the deal with that?

Also, with how medics role worked, it seems impossible for him to have discovered recruits since the info was based on their country which wouldn't change, not their affiliation which would.
Hardcore.Pwnography
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2012 7:49:50 PM
At 6/7/2012 7:47:36 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 6/7/2012 7:45:27 PM, Hardcore.Pwnography wrote:
I totally called F16 and Drafter as mafia.

Dude, I was TOWN. I replaced Zaradi as mafia this day phase.

Yup, I called you out even before you were mafia. ;)
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2012 7:53:43 PM
At 6/7/2012 7:48:33 PM, drafterman wrote:
The real issue with the third parties was this bit about TUF not being converted to cult but being part of the PM. What was the deal with that?

I thought it would help the Survivor out because the Cultists wouldnt lynch him, and combined with his role, he would be pretty strong. But obviously, there's no way I could have predicted TUF basically giving up on his role and outing Logic like that.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2012 7:54:36 PM
Regarding game balance, yeah, it was a huge mistake not lynching drafter due to the guilty results but other than that, lynching cult was not a mistake. If we hadn't lynched TUF, you would have probably put in big bold letters FIRST PLACE: SURVIVOR - TUF like you did in Death Note mafia. So, to win, town was supposed to get rid of the third parties but not lynch them all the same which is why I think they are completely pointless.

Also, there were 6 scum in a game with 17 players all of whom were difficult to find - role wise. That is more than 1/3 the total amount of players.

I agree that the town could have won by lynching Drafter but any town makes mistakes and I think mods should account for that fact rather than making town lose as soon as they make a mistake. And no lynching wasn't even as bad as mislynching. We were just waiting for more info at that point.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2012 7:56:26 PM
At 6/7/2012 7:55:39 PM, drafterman wrote:
The mafia didnt make any bold moves or play exceptionally well or anything.

):

Lol, you guys played well, my point was that you didnt have to make any major gambles or anything.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2012 7:58:02 PM
Although to be fair, I don't know why TUF voted for Caveat. Once Medic got the "favorably viewed" result on FT, town should have lynched Drafter. That was exactly the sort of results we VTNL'd for: to see how Medic's other results stack up.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2012 8:02:51 PM
When F-16 said that LK was acting pro-town and giving good analysis, that should have been a red flag that LK was mafia, lol.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2012 8:07:09 PM
At 6/7/2012 7:58:02 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Although to be fair, I don't know why TUF voted for Caveat. Once Medic got the "favorably viewed" result on FT, town should have lynched Drafter. That was exactly the sort of results we VTNL'd for: to see how Medic's other results stack up.

That's why I posted all my results together at the end of the last dp. I thought that was what the town was waiting for, to lynch Drafter, but you guys had us beat by then.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2012 8:08:42 PM
At 6/7/2012 8:05:20 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Yeah, I didn't play well this game but I still felt that it was over too quickly.

Same here. I thought it would last longer because the town would have to mislynch 4 times to lose (after the DP1 VTNL). But Budda broadcasting his vig target allowed mafia to bus drive him to a townie. Then IFH vig killed HCP for basically no reason.

The game could have ended even quicker. Budda tried to vig kill FT on NP1 and Xerge on NP2. He got really lucky that the mafia killed the same people.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2012 8:10:02 PM
At 6/7/2012 8:08:41 PM, medic0506 wrote:
Drafter I'm surprised you didn't use the silence on me...lol

I wanted to. I used it on logic the day before.
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2012 8:18:27 PM
Maf NK's vig targets 2 times in a row, I sh!t bricks.
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2012 8:22:00 PM
At 6/7/2012 8:18:27 PM, Buddamoose wrote:
Maf NK's vig targets 2 times in a row, I sh!t bricks.

you just need to be more cautious with your targets. You were trying to vig kill people who hadn't even character claimed. You should only kill someone if they've full claimed, because even if you think they're acting scummy, they can still be town and have a confirmable role.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2012 9:12:26 PM
Good game mafia.. could have played better I guess.. I didn't buy drafter being guilty though, and the way medic was pushing him so hard steered me off.

I do not regret the whole outting the cult member thing though. Eventually logic would have found out I was lying when my protection didn't work on him. I was pretty much dead even if I managed to survive a few DP's.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
IFLYHIGH
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2012 10:45:59 PM
My final list of suspicions were FT, LK, and TUF. The only thing with FT and LK though was I only had a feeling about them and couldn't really find a good enough reason to FOS them. I vig killed HCP because his role seemed so scummy and I would rather get rid of him earlier than later to prevent a mislynch on MYLO. I kind of new Caveat was town since BV slipped there is no mafia mason recruiter, but didn't have the time or ability(would have been mod killed for sharing that info) to defend him. But yeah, GG to both mafia and town.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2012 10:47:50 PM
Good game :)
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2012 5:06:18 AM
The design for this game seems quite balanced I must say, and TUF had a very capable survivor role. Blackvoid is to be congratulated on quite the balanced game.

I didn't keep up with the game after my death due to sheer lack of time, indeed, I told Blackvoid that I didn't really have the time to come back as a replacement. However, from the merest glance I deduced that Drafterman should have been lynched. That did not happen. The absence of capable, competent townies (with the exception of Medic and maybe others... wasn't paying attention) was the reason for the town's downfall. Given my inattention I won't comment further on matters after my death.

It should be noted that I totally believed TUF was 3rd party when I recruited him. I warned him of the threat of 3rd parties in an attempt to 'be clear' with him. My unflinching honesty was quite the mistake in hindsight, although it was based on blackmailing him for that claimed 3 day day/night protection (immensely valuable to a cult; even if only claimed protection) , which I foolishly believed he had (if I thought he was 3rd party why didn't I think he was lying!? Foolish...) .

So, daggers drawn I proposed an uneasy alliance with TUF following my stupid revelation that I knew he was being a fraudulent charlatan. TUF may claim that he couldn't win, yet he had the power to render me unable to cast suspicion on him, which would have prevented me speaking ill of him, which would have kept him alive, and he'd be near invincible with the cult's help if I couldn't denounce him. Sure, I stood tall and proclaimed that it wouldn't work and such, but he didn't have to just straight up believe me! You know, he could have perhaps gone and asked the mod as opposed to taking my word! I did earnestly believe in what I said, but that doesn't make it unfailingly true.

In essence, blind honesty on my part coupled with a doom believing acolyte led to my demise, to put it dramatically. Once again, kudos to Blackvoid for a well designed game.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2012 9:26:00 AM
I was online during the day waiting for DP5 but it never showed up. Unfortunately I wasn't able to be online during the night for the DP at all :(

After that NP I would have pushed for drafter, but oh well. Good game! Thanks BV.
There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. " Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, which presents the difficulties.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2012 10:07:57 AM
At 6/8/2012 9:26:00 AM, caveat wrote:
I was online during the day waiting for DP5 but it never showed up. Unfortunately I wasn't able to be online during the night for the DP at all :(

After that NP I would have pushed for drafter, but oh well. Good game! Thanks BV.

You voted to lynch yourself anyway so you didn't really need to be there...lol...Drafter stole your vote and hammered you with it to end the game.
caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2012 10:10:45 AM
At 6/8/2012 10:07:57 AM, medic0506 wrote:

You voted to lynch yourself anyway so you didn't really need to be there...lol...Drafter stole your vote and hammered you with it to end the game.

I know, but I don't think I would have had that many votes on me in the first place if I was there to defend and push for drafter instead.
There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. " Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, which presents the difficulties.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2012 10:17:24 AM
At 6/8/2012 10:10:45 AM, caveat wrote:

I know, but I don't think I would have had that many votes on me in the first place if I was there to defend and push for drafter instead.

Well in that case I wish you had been there. I went after Drafter again but it was too little, too late, and I couldn't get any support although I think IFH was starting to come around.
caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2012 10:34:05 AM
At 6/8/2012 10:17:24 AM, medic0506 wrote:
At 6/8/2012 10:10:45 AM, caveat wrote:

Well in that case I wish you had been there. I went after Drafter again but it was too little, too late, and I couldn't get any support although I think IFH was starting to come around.

The one thing I can take away from this at least is to take risks as town. I felt apprehensive going after drafter with a "guilty" verdict... I'm not sure what confirmation I was waiting for but I've learned my lesson.