Trial by Jury- Concept Game

medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2012 12:51:12 PM
Posted: 4 years ago

This is a concept game, NOT MAFIA, with three teams, the Prosecution, the Defense, and the Jury. The Prosecution team will be presented with a crime scene, and will be in charge of investigating the scene and interviewing witnesses, as well as following up on leads and gaining access to post-mortem reports (autopsy, toxicology, etc.). Ultimately they will be presented with two final suspects, and will have to charge one of those suspects, and try him/her, in front of a jury. The prosecution will provide an opening statement, and present their evidence, question witnesses, etc. The defense will then put on their case for the suspect's defense. The case will then be handed over to the jury, who will either acquit, or convict.

There are several winning scenarios:

The Prosecution will win, along with the Jury, if they convict the guilty suspect. If they convict the innocent suspect, the Prosecution wins alone.

The Defense will win, along with the Jury, if they can get an acquittal for an innocent suspect. If the defense can get an acquittal for a guilty suspect, the defense wins alone.

The Jury will either win with one side, by judging correctly, or they will lose by judging incorrectly.

There will be a pre-trial pm, for both the Prosecution and Defense, where both sides will have access to all discoveries, although the defense may not take part in the investigation, interrogation, or indictment. There will also be a private pm for each team to communicate with each other, and with me. The actual trial will happen in a regular forum thread. The Jury will then deliberate in a private Jury pm.

Each team will select a leader, Lead Prosecutor, Head Defense Attorney, and Jury Foreperson.

Since I know the entire scenario, it will make the game go faster if I act in all roles (judge, suspects, witnesses, etc.). I'm not sure how long this will take. The time will likely depend on the activity levels of the attorneys. If interested, plan on being in it for the long haul.

I hope there is enough interest to get this going, I think it will be a fun exercise.

Prosecution Team:
ALT.

Defense Team:
Alt.

Jury
Alt.
Alt.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2012 12:56:21 PM
At 6/16/2012 12:51:12 PM, medic0506 wrote:

This is a concept game, NOT MAFIA, with three teams, the Prosecution, the Defense, and the Jury. The Prosecution team will be presented with a crime scene, and will be in charge of investigating the scene and interviewing witnesses, as well as following up on leads and gaining access to post-mortem reports (autopsy, toxicology, etc.). Ultimately they will be presented with two final suspects, and will have to charge one of those suspects, and try him/her, in front of a jury. The prosecution will provide an opening statement, and present their evidence, question witnesses, etc. The defense will then put on their case for the suspect's defense. The case will then be handed over to the jury, who will either acquit, or convict.

There are several winning scenarios:

The Prosecution will win, along with the Jury, if they convict the guilty suspect. If they convict the innocent suspect, the Prosecution wins alone.

The Defense will win, along with the Jury, if they can get an acquittal for an innocent suspect. If the defense can get an acquittal for a guilty suspect, the defense wins alone.

The Jury will either win with one side, by judging correctly, or they will lose by judging incorrectly.

There will be a pre-trial pm, for both the Prosecution and Defense, where both sides will have access to all discoveries, although the defense may not take part in the investigation, interrogation, or indictment. There will also be a private pm for each team to communicate with each other, and with me. The actual trial will happen in a regular forum thread. The Jury will then deliberate in a private Jury pm.

Each team will select a leader, Lead Prosecutor, Head Defense Attorney, and Jury Foreperson.

Since I know the entire scenario, it will make the game go faster if I act in all roles (judge, suspects, witnesses, etc.). I'm not sure how long this will take. The time will likely depend on the activity levels of the attorneys. If interested, plan on being in it for the long haul.

I hope there is enough interest to get this going, I think it will be a fun exercise.

Prosecution Team:
ALT.

Defense Team:
1. Drafter "Johnnie Cochrane" man
Alt.

Jury
Alt.
Alt.
Mestari
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2012 12:58:24 PM
Aww, no option to settle pre-trial or a mediator team? :p I'll think about this. Looks interesting.
Rules of Mafia

1. Mestari is never third party.
2. If Mestari claims an intricate and page long TP role, he's telling the truth.
3. Mestari always jointly wins with the town.
3b. If he doesn't he's mafia.
3c. If he was mafia you wouldn't suspect him in the first place.
4. If you lynch Mestari you will lose because he will be the third party Doctor or some other townie power role.
5. DP1 lynches are good.
6. The answer is always no.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2012 1:03:12 PM
lol...nope, no mediation, no plea bargaining, the case goes to trial. Oh and everyone works pro bono, so no continuances either.
Mestari
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2012 1:03:16 PM
Eh, I'll go for it!

Prosecution Team:
1. Mestari
ALT.

Defense Team:
1. Drafter
2. HCP
Alt.

Jury
Alt.
Alt.

At 6/16/2012 1:01:10 PM, Hardcore.Pwnography wrote:
Is this by Canadian or American law?

I dunno. I'm going by what I see on Suits!
Rules of Mafia

2. If Mestari claims an intricate and page long TP role, he's telling the truth.
4. If you lynch Mestari you will lose because he will be the third party Doctor or some other townie power role.
5. DP1 lynches are good.
Mestari
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2012 1:03:41 PM
At 6/16/2012 1:03:12 PM, medic0506 wrote:
lol...nope, no mediation, no plea bargaining, the case goes to trial. Oh and everyone works pro bono, so no continuances either.

I quit.
Rules of Mafia

5. DP1 lynches are good.
westernmarch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2012 1:07:37 PM
At 6/16/2012 1:03:16 PM, Mestari wrote:
Eh, I'll go for it!

Prosecution Team:
1. Mestari
3.Western "Al" march
ALT.

Defense Team:
1. Drafter
2. HCP
Alt.

Jury
Alt.
Alt.

At 6/16/2012 1:01:10 PM, Hardcore.Pwnography wrote:
Is this by Canadian or American law?

I dunno. I'm going by what I see on Suits!
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2012 1:09:34 PM
Prosecution Team:
1. Mestari
3. Western "AL" March
ALT.

Defense Team:
1. Drafter
2. HCP
Alt.

Jury
1. Master Kage
Alt.
Alt.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2012 1:10:26 PM
At 6/16/2012 1:03:41 PM, Mestari wrote:

I quit.

You just found yourself in a wacky comedy where you will only have access to your dead father's fortune if you work pro bono for a year.

You'll initially take trivial cases such as the case of "Which of my neighbor's cats is sh1tting in my yard!" but will end up with a dramatic case involving murder and corruption, inspiring you fight out of a sense of justice, not money, rejuvenating your passion for the law.

In the end you either donate the money to help the victim you just won justice for and/or fall in love with them and continue to fight for the small guys.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2012 1:10:35 PM
Prosecution Team:
1. Mestari
3. Western "AL" March
ALT.

Defense Team:
1. Drafter
2. HCP
Alt.

Jury
1. Master Kage
2. Viper King
Alt.
Alt.
Mestari
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2012 1:12:32 PM
At 6/16/2012 1:10:26 PM, drafterman wrote:
At 6/16/2012 1:03:41 PM, Mestari wrote:

I quit.

You just found yourself in a wacky comedy where you will only have access to your dead father's fortune if you work pro bono for a year.

You'll initially take trivial cases such as the case of "Which of my neighbor's cats is sh1tting in my yard!" but will end up with a dramatic case involving murder and corruption, inspiring you fight out of a sense of justice, not money, rejuvenating your passion for the law.

In the end you either donate the money to help the victim you just won justice for and/or fall in love with them and continue to fight for the small guys.

And then I get a job defending large corporations for handsome paychecks.
Rules of Mafia

5. DP1 lynches are good.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2012 1:14:07 PM
At 6/16/2012 1:12:42 PM, medic0506 wrote:
HCP, this will be done by Medic's law.

Is this going to be strict argumentation, or are we going to do adhere to some form of orderly jurisprudence? I've actually taken several classes of Criminal Law, so it'll be interesting to apply some of what I've learned.
Mestari
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2012 1:15:39 PM
At 6/16/2012 1:14:07 PM, drafterman wrote:

Is this going to be strict argumentation, or are we going to do adhere to some form of orderly jurisprudence? I've actually taken several classes of Criminal Law, so it'll be interesting to apply some of what I've learned.

Ooh, the defense seems quite formidable. However, I have seen an entire season of Suits. Time for the Harvey Specter treatment!
Rules of Mafia

5. DP1 lynches are good.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2012 1:21:53 PM
Prosecution Team:
1. Mestari
2. Detectable "The Sword of Justice" Ninja
3. Western "AL" March
ALT.

Defense Team:
1. Drafter
2. HCP
Alt.

Jury
1. Master Kage
2. Viper King
Alt.
Alt.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Xerge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2012 1:23:12 PM
Prosecution Team:
1. Mestari
3. Western "AL" March
ALT.

Defense Team:
1. Drafter
2. HCP
Alt.

Jury
1. Master Kage
2. Viper King
3. Xerge
Alt.
Alt.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2012 1:23:37 PM
Prosecution Team:
1. Mestari
3. Western "AL" March
ALT.

Defense Team:
1. Drafter
2. HCP
Alt.

Jury
1. Master Kage
2. Viper King
3. Xerge
Alt.
Alt.

medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2012 1:25:13 PM

All motions will be entertained, all evidence considered for trial, and all witnesses will be qualified and have relevant testimony. The Defense will have opportunity to object to evidence and witnesses in pre-trial. The Jury will be given clear instructions. There is order to Medic's Law. Does that answer your question??
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2012 1:27:33 PM
I'm surprised we don't have the power of voir dire.

Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2012 1:28:14 PM
At 6/16/2012 1:23:37 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
Prosecution Team:
1. Mestari
3. Western "AL" March
ALT.

Defense Team:
1. Drafter
2. HCP
3. Buddamoose
Alt.

Jury
1. Master Kage
2. Viper King
3. Xerge
Alt.
Alt.

Mock trials are fun :D
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
IFLYHIGH
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2012 1:30:21 PM
At 6/16/2012 1:28:14 PM, Buddamoose wrote:
At 6/16/2012 1:23:37 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
Prosecution Team:
1. Mestari
3. Western "AL" March
ALT.

Defense Team:
1. Drafter
2. HCP
3. Buddamoose
Alt.

Jury
1. Master Kage
2. Viper King
3. Xerge
5. IFLY
Alt.
Alt.

Mock trials are fun :D
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2012 1:30:47 PM
At 6/16/2012 1:29:10 PM, medic0506 wrote:
Dninja, you might have that power...but only if you say it in friggin' english...lol

Okay then, why don't we have unconditional peremptory challenges?

drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2012 1:33:07 PM
At 6/16/2012 1:25:13 PM, medic0506 wrote:

All motions will be entertained, all evidence considered for trial, and all witnesses will be qualified and have relevant testimony. The Defense will have opportunity to object to evidence and witnesses in pre-trial. The Jury will be given clear instructions. There is order to Medic's Law. Does that answer your question??

I'll have to confer with co-counsel.