Jump to topic:

Model United Nations - Concept

MrBrooks
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2012 9:02:26 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Would anyone be interested in brainstorming some ideas about how to adapt MUN to debate.org? For those of you who have never participated in an MUN conference it works like this; you get assigned a country, you get put in a committee, and you "role play" as that country in that committee. The winner is picked by the proctors of the committee based on how well they represented their country.

Anyway I'd love to try and bring a form of MUN to the game forums, because it is loads of fun and is a form of debate. I represented Zimbabwe, Iran, and Palestine IRL and had a blast; I even got the best delegate award a few times. Would anyone be interested in proctoring a conference with me, and helping out with the finer details?
GirlyPianist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2016 12:47:05 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
I did a little search and found this jewel so decided to bring it up again. :'D

For those of you who enjoy a bit of politics. Model united Nations is one of the best debate games, it involves RP similar to Mafia, except herreeee you represent countries in certain councils.
The most fun in my opinion is the security council cause there are the veto powers which are proper cool annnddd.... the security council has primary responsibility, under the Charter, for the maintenance of international peace and security. So countries can bring up to council some resolutions or clauses to help improve the situation. ^_^

I worked my way up in MUN from an usher to being my school's secretary general on my senior year, which was pretty dope but tiring. <--- That lil swagger session is to assure you I know what I'm doing. c:

How it can be played on forum you ask? Easy peasy. Grab a warm drink and await my next post.
Rami
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2016 1:28:24 AM
At 1/3/2016 12:47:05 AM, GirlyPianist wrote:
I did a little search and found this jewel so decided to bring it up again. :'D

For those of you who enjoy a bit of politics. Model united Nations is one of the best debate games, it involves RP similar to Mafia, except herreeee you represent countries in certain councils.
The most fun in my opinion is the security council cause there are the veto powers which are proper cool annnddd.... the security council has primary responsibility, under the Charter, for the maintenance of international peace and security. So countries can bring up to council some resolutions or clauses to help improve the situation. ^_^

I worked my way up in MUN from an usher to being my school's secretary general on my senior year, which was pretty dope but tiring. <--- That lil swagger session is to assure you I know what I'm doing. c:

How it can be played on forum you ask? Easy peasy. Grab a warm drink and await my next post.

Could we make up ridiculous laws?
GirlyPianist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2016 1:35:28 AM
Dun dun dun~

Let me first give you some definitions.

Committee : Now, as the website states, because of the vast amount of questions the UN assembly is called upon to consider, it is split into different committees. In MUN, these could be Security Council, Ecosoc Council (Economic and Social), Human Rights and Humanitarian Affairs, General Assembly, etc.

Chair : A member of the dais that moderates debate, keeps time, rules on points and motions, and enforces the rules of procedure. Also known as a Moderator.

Delegate : A person acting as a representative of a member state or observer in a Model UN committee.

Flow of debate : The order in which events proceed during a Model UN conference. This usually indicates the movement between formal and informal debate and the process of drafting, debating and voting on resolutions.

Position paper : A summary of a country's position on a topic, written by a delegate before a Model UN conference.

Resolution : A document that has been passed by an organ of the UN that aims to address a particular problem or issue.

Kya. If you feel overwhelmed you can skip and I'll make it clearer as I start explaining.
When you're RPing MUN, imagine yourself in a fancy suit(for men) or a smart dress/pant outfit (ladies) and you'll be in an assembly representing a country.

The chair(moderator) will designate countries, however delegates are given the privilege to state a preference due to their personal knowledge on that country/ attachment/ etc. ^_^ You need to remember though, the beautiful thing about MUN is it all depends on how good of a delegate you are.
I've seen many delegates pass resolutions and win awards with countries I never knew existed. So don't be angry if say, you don't get appointed one of the five powerful veto countries (btw I'll continue my explanation like we're going with the security council), France, UK, USA, China, Russia.
These five will always be present and other countries will be appointed according to the topic, for example if the security council decided to discuss the "Genocide in the Central African Republic", Argentina won't have much to say. Of course in the real UN this doesn't happen but due to proximity of numbers and effectiveness this will be the case.

How it's played?
Fuuurrsstttt. You sign up c:
How? By saying so x) And then giving your country of preference and reason for wanting it. If you want to get down and dirty with debate you can sign up as a delegate (most fun)
but since I am just starting this(Secretary General), I'll need a chair ( moderator ) or in this case co - moderator. To start things off with first, like choosing a topic and setting the rules of procedure. Of course I'll be explaining that role in more detail once you sign up, but how the co-moderating works in MUN is we take turns on moderating the debate c:

Seconddd~
Once the chair and SG decide the topic of discussion, the delegates are designated the countries. Then in the forum itself there will be a preparatory time where the chair and I will be guiding each delegate in research of their country and preparing something called a position paper in MUN but here we will call it a

Position post : A summary of a country's position on a topic, or a policy statement.

That can be done by research on the background of the topic, collecting sources, past international actions made by the country and country policy.

This procedure is essential and is meant to help delegates with preparation for debate and ensures a fruitful debate in the conference.

I'll explain what happens in the conference soon.
Reply if you're interested in signing up for a chair or delegate position. x) We're just starting so I won't be too strict.
GirlyPianist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2016 1:43:21 AM
At 1/3/2016 1:28:24 AM, Rami wrote:

Could we make up ridiculous laws?

Ermmm I feel like you're tryna be funny and I'd love to say no if that's the case. But I can't, because it is possible. You see delegates present their arguments in a conference in the form of clauses (solutions to issues) more often operative clauses.

I was in a conference once, where a delegate suggested, to stop the Israeli and Palestinian war the council should introduce ebola to both countries. It was shocking but a funny five minute argument that was of course stopped by the chair due to it's time wasting nature.

Making new laws is a part of the Security Council's nature, but what's more fun, is being able to take action. x)
GirlyPianist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2016 6:45:35 PM
At 1/3/2016 3:35:56 AM, greatkitteh wrote:
I would play as true korea.

OOC the DPRK

Noted. :)
Welcome, if you have any questions, feel free to ask!
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2016 7:05:17 PM
At 1/3/2016 6:45:35 PM, GirlyPianist wrote:

OOC the DPRK

I would be either Russia or America. America because... well, I luvs muh country and yay West. And Russia because it would give me a chance to also be anti-West, which would also give me reason to become a rogue military nation and reinstate the USSR/Warsaw Pact (nukes 4 dayz).... I know, I know, I'm a Red Pig, y u h8 meh? And plus, I know their militaries/politics best.
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2016 7:05:41 PM
Of course, I could also do that with America....
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
GirlyPianist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2016 7:28:37 PM
At 1/3/2016 7:05:17 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:

I would be either Russia or America. America because... well, I luvs muh country and yay West. And Russia because it would give me a chance to also be anti-West, which would also give me reason to become a rogue military nation and reinstate the USSR/Warsaw Pact (nukes 4 dayz).... I know, I know, I'm a Red Pig, y u h8 meh? And plus, I know their militaries/politics best.

Ouuu I think I know which one I'll pick for you.
Welcomeee cx
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2016 7:30:06 PM
At 1/3/2016 7:28:37 PM, GirlyPianist wrote:

Ouuu I think I know which one I'll pick for you.
Welcomeee cx

wich?
Suh dude

greatkitteh
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2016 8:02:03 PM

OOC the DPRK

The DPRK is fairly easy to roleplay and more rouge, Iran can suck my concertration camps.

Also, I kow the DPRK the most.

GLORIUS JUCHE WILL NUKE WHITE RUSSIA. FOR LENIN. FOR STALIAN. PUTIN IS BACKSTABBER TO GLORIUS REVOLUTION. OUR VERY TECHLOLOGY GOOD ARMY WILL INVADE RUSSIA. FOR MARX WE WILL KILL THE CIA UNDERCOVER AGENT CALLED PUTIN.

NUKES. NUKES. WE ARE NUCLEAR AND WE KILL RUSSIA. FOR LENIN AND STALIAN WE ARE READY FOR NUCLEAR WAR
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2016 8:05:12 PM
At 1/3/2016 8:02:03 PM, greatkitteh wrote:

OOC the DPRK

The DPRK is fairly easy to roleplay and more rouge, Iran can suck my concertration camps.

GLORIUS JUCHE WILL NUKE WHITE RUSSIA. FOR LENIN. FOR STALIAN. PUTIN IS BACKSTABBER TO GLORIUS REVOLUTION. OUR VERY TECHLOLOGY GOOD ARMY WILL INVADE RUSSIA. FOR MARX WE WILL KILL THE CIA UNDERCOVER AGENT CALLED PUTIN.

NUKES. NUKES. WE ARE NUCLEAR AND WE KILL RUSSIA. FOR LENIN AND STALIAN WE ARE READY FOR NUCLEAR WAR

If I was Russia, I would return it to the Glorious Days of the USSR and revert its society to Marxism-Leninism.
Suh dude

The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2016 8:06:09 PM
You, me, and China could become a strong, unified alliance.
Suh dude

GirlyPianist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2016 8:44:46 PM

Hahaha this enthusiasm is bringing you closer to being the best delegate.
There will be a conference as I said earlier and there will be some superlatives just for the fun of it. Like, "The best delegate", "The cutest delegate", "The most likely to get a shoe thrown at" etc.

Yas, yas, you hate Russia. Direct that that hate to making an intelligent resolution.

I'll pick a topic tomorrow.
GirlyPianist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2016 8:45:51 PM
At 1/3/2016 8:05:12 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:

If I was Russia, I would return it to the Glorious Days of the USSR and revert its society to Marxism-Leninism.

That would be interesting, I might allow it x)
GirlyPianist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2016 2:46:38 AM
At 1/3/2016 11:31:06 PM, Rami wrote:

OOC the DPRK

To spite you, I will pick Israel.

Aww, America's baby x)
Mkay noted.
greatkitteh
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2016 11:42:17 AM

OOC the DPRK

Not the False korea? :p

Also, whats Israel? I dont recgonize it.
Rami
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2016 2:50:32 PM
At 1/4/2016 11:42:17 AM, greatkitteh wrote:

OOC the DPRK

Not the False korea? :p

Also, whats Israel? I dont recgonize it.

It can defend itself better than NK can.
Rami
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 2:20:20 AM
At 1/4/2016 2:46:38 AM, GirlyPianist wrote:

OOC the DPRK

Aww, America's baby x)
Mkay noted.

How many countries do we need to start?
GirlyPianist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 8:20:09 AM
At 1/6/2016 2:20:20 AM, Rami wrote:

OOC the DPRK

Aww, America's baby x)
Mkay noted.

At least 12 :c
Rami
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 2:37:49 PM
At 1/7/2016 8:20:09 AM, GirlyPianist wrote:
At 1/6/2016 2:20:20 AM, Rami wrote:

OOC the DPRK

Aww, America's baby x)
Mkay noted.

At least 12 :c

And we' we got how many? 2? 3? Do you have your own country?
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2016 9:52:59 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
I like Model UN, and I've won an award at every conference I've attended, but to tell you the truth, it's rather difficult to do a MUN style here.

You need to do it in person if you want to emulate MUN, otherwise it won't work.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Rami
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2016 1:17:40 PM
At 1/8/2016 9:52:59 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
I like Model UN, and I've won an award at every conference I've attended, but to tell you the truth, it's rather difficult to do a MUN style here.

You need to do it in person if you want to emulate MUN, otherwise it won't work.

Are you two in, though?
GirlyPianist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2016 11:09:55 PM
At 1/7/2016 2:37:49 PM, Rami wrote:
And we' we got how many? 2? 3? Do you have your own country?

If need be I can, but ideally the secretary general is just themselves in a debate, Ban ki moon. Here I would be moderating however and sort of controlling the flow of debate.
GirlyPianist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2016 11:13:56 PM
At 1/8/2016 9:52:59 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:

Hmmm... Maybe a google hangout? I've seen that around here. Or Idk... I've had some ideas about some sort of competition between every two countries, and kind of like a tournament the ones with the winning argument, moves forward. The last one being a taken as a resolution.
Can you, co-mod with me? Pweaaase. I do need help. Cause for one, I just started using the site and two... I need some MUN-y advice to not lose track of the idea completely.