Jump to topic:

Covert Affairs

F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 11:00:05 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Does anyone watch the TV show "Covert Affairs?" I was thinking I could make my next mafia game with that theme if a lot of people are familiar with it. Familiar themes = fun games.

How about 24? Law and Order SVU?
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 11:01:06 PM
At 6/25/2012 11:00:05 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Does anyone watch the TV show "Covert Affairs?" I was thinking I could make my next mafia game with that theme if a lot of people are familiar with it. Familiar themes = fun games.

Would love a 24 game.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 11:30:13 PM
I'm not one for TV crime shows/dramas, but I would LOVE a Hawaii 5-0 or McGuyver themed game.
Is Covert Affairs good? I might give it a look.
#StandWithBossy
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 11:59:09 PM
I like 24 and Law and Order but the problem with any TV show is the lack of a good character pool. I remember in Monk mafia, the mafia pretty much stood out because it was so tough to claim a character that wasn't obviously minor.
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2012 12:04:57 AM
At 6/26/2012 12:02:19 AM, BlackVoid wrote:
What medic said, although 24 does have a lot of seasons.

And a lot of characters that could be justifiably mafia or town

Hell we can use multiple shows for one game also.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2012 12:09:43 AM
Bossy, yes, Covert Affairs is awesome. It is basically like Burn Notice except with a smoking hot female lead (Piper Perabo). If you haven't watched Burn Notice, it is basically a spy show.

Anyways, the protagonist in Covert Affairs is a fairly new spy that works for the CIA and is learning the ropes as she is sent on various assignments. I don't know if everyone will like it but I love it of course since I dig bad@ss girls. But if you like an action/espionage type show I am sure you will love it. Imagine the mafia possibilities.

24 and Law and Order are good possibilities too. I haven't watched the earlier Law and Order seasons so I would have to research it quite a bit.

I get Medic and BV's points about fake-character claims. I am thinking of solving it by giving mafia fake-claims like BV did in Death Note or by leaving a lot of characters open (although some might not like that).

I am also definitely going to make it a small game (14 players) if I go with Covert Affairs. If I choose 24 or Resident Evil (which was my original choice), I might go with a large game.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2012 1:26:42 AM
I've watched a couple episodes of Covert Affairs. I like Ozzie.

24 would have a lot of potential since there's so much backstabbing. It's the kind of setup I like.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2012 3:47:38 AM
At 6/26/2012 12:55:43 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
So, no one has heard of Covert Affairs? Disappointing. Anyways, I think I might go with either 24 or the Resident Evil movies.

I have never heard of Covert Affairs.

But I'd strongly be in favor of 24... It's a theme I know pretty well. I'm actually a little surprised it hasn't been done yet.
Debate.org Moderator
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2012 7:26:08 AM
At 6/25/2012 11:00:05 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

Yes. It actually was one of the reasons (that and White Collar) that inspired me to create a short-lived blog about misrepresentation of IT security in the media.

That one episde about the female hacker/former girlfriend of the blind guy was just attrocious.