Jump to topic:

Covert Affairs

F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 11:00:05 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Does anyone watch the TV show "Covert Affairs?" I was thinking I could make my next mafia game with that theme if a lot of people are familiar with it. Familiar themes = fun games.

How about 24? Law and Order SVU?
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 11:01:06 PM
At 6/25/2012 11:00:05 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Does anyone watch the TV show "Covert Affairs?" I was thinking I could make my next mafia game with that theme if a lot of people are familiar with it. Familiar themes = fun games.

Would love a 24 game.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 11:30:13 PM
I'm not one for TV crime shows/dramas, but I would LOVE a Hawaii 5-0 or McGuyver themed game.
Is Covert Affairs good? I might give it a look.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 11:59:09 PM
I like 24 and Law and Order but the problem with any TV show is the lack of a good character pool. I remember in Monk mafia, the mafia pretty much stood out because it was so tough to claim a character that wasn't obviously minor.
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2012 12:04:57 AM
At 6/26/2012 12:02:19 AM, BlackVoid wrote:
What medic said, although 24 does have a lot of seasons.

And a lot of characters that could be justifiably mafia or town

Hell we can use multiple shows for one game also.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2012 12:09:43 AM
Bossy, yes, Covert Affairs is awesome. It is basically like Burn Notice except with a smoking hot female lead (Piper Perabo). If you haven't watched Burn Notice, it is basically a spy show.

Anyways, the protagonist in Covert Affairs is a fairly new spy that works for the CIA and is learning the ropes as she is sent on various assignments. I don't know if everyone will like it but I love it of course since I dig bad@ss girls. But if you like an action/espionage type show I am sure you will love it. Imagine the mafia possibilities.

24 and Law and Order are good possibilities too. I haven't watched the earlier Law and Order seasons so I would have to research it quite a bit.

I get Medic and BV's points about fake-character claims. I am thinking of solving it by giving mafia fake-claims like BV did in Death Note or by leaving a lot of characters open (although some might not like that).

I am also definitely going to make it a small game (14 players) if I go with Covert Affairs. If I choose 24 or Resident Evil (which was my original choice), I might go with a large game.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2012 1:26:42 AM
I've watched a couple episodes of Covert Affairs. I like Ozzie.

24 would have a lot of potential since there's so much backstabbing. It's the kind of setup I like.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2012 3:47:38 AM
At 6/26/2012 12:55:43 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
So, no one has heard of Covert Affairs? Disappointing. Anyways, I think I might go with either 24 or the Resident Evil movies.

I have never heard of Covert Affairs.

But I'd strongly be in favor of 24... It's a theme I know pretty well. I'm actually a little surprised it hasn't been done yet.
Debate.org Moderator
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2012 7:26:08 AM
At 6/25/2012 11:00:05 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

Yes. It actually was one of the reasons (that and White Collar) that inspired me to create a short-lived blog about misrepresentation of IT security in the media.

That one episde about the female hacker/former girlfriend of the blind guy was just attrocious.