Jump to topic:

Mafia discussion: Basic attack maneuvers

F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 7:57:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Mafiascum has an interesting article on how different players play mafia and attack other players. (http://wiki.mafiascum.net...)

Summarized here (with DDO examples):

1) The minimalist approach - Pick one player at a time and keep pushing for their lynch. This minimizes the number of players who would OMGUS you and makes it easier to gain support.
Ex - Bluesteel pressuring Zaradi in Walmart mafia
- Drafterman pressuring Budda in Pokemon mafia DP1
- BlackVoid in Illuminati mafia
- Lickdafoot in Eragon

2) Calling the team - Point out connections between various players which incriminate one player if the other is scum. If right, you can take down the entire team.
Ex - Town calling out LK, Spinko, Budda and Vmpire as mafia in Vito's revenge.
- Danielle's and TV's usual strategy. You can see them calling out nearly the entire scumteam in Pixar vs Dreamworks Mafia DP3 and DP4.
- Drafterman in Brawl mafia

3) The mafia police - Policy lynch a player because the other player/s don't like their style of play.
Ex - Town policy-lynching HeadphoneGut in Miscellaneous mafia DP2
- Drafterman calling for a policy lynch on Royal Vito's Revenge DP2.

4) Carrying a chip on the shoulder - OMGUS everyone that suspect you. Reduces incentive for mafia to FOS you without at least some town support.
Ex - Bluesteel and Danielle in pretty much every game
- Budda in 007 mafia
- Royal in The Wire mafia

5) Bandwagon to victory - Pick whoever has the most votes on them.
- DNinja in most games.
- QuarterExchange in Ancap mafia

What are your thoughts? Do you follow a strategy not described in the article? If so, what is your favorite strategy and examples of where you used it successfully or unsuccessfully.

I'll add mine:

1) Process of elimination - Try to confirm townies as much as possible and figure out which claims you buy. The ones who are not confirmed are scum.
Ex - Tarantino films mafia (correct, successful), Death-in-Mystere (correct, unsuccessful), Kingmaker mafia (incorrect).
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 8:10:38 PM
I tend to use all of these except (5). I don't even know how that made it on to this list, as it sounds completely random to me.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 8:17:56 PM
Probably a combination of these is the best strategy. Sticking to one will make your behaviour too predictable.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 9:21:59 PM
I guess I do #1 the most. I tend to lock on someone and never let go, which has in some cases been good and some cases bad. I rarely do #4 because it makes people more likely to lynch you.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 9:23:41 PM
Policy lynches are kind of funny because they happen MAYBE 50% of the time, and even then, take several hundred posts to do so. Which is funny because policy lynches are supposed to happen the quickest.
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 9:26:30 PM
Speaking of policy lynches, can someone post examples of frequent policy lynch situations?
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 9:29:34 PM
At 7/16/2012 9:26:30 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
Speaking of policy lynches, can someone post examples of frequent policy lynch situations?

The main examples would be:

Player A CC's player B. Player B flips inno.

Player A claims X investigative result against player B. Player B flips inno.

The CC one is the most common.
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 9:45:04 PM
At 7/16/2012 9:29:34 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
At 7/16/2012 9:26:30 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:

The main examples would be:

Player A CC's player B. Player B flips inno.

Player A claims X investigative result against player B. Player B flips inno.

The CC one is the most common.

Okay. Drafter said something about Royal's lynch in Vito's Revenge was a policy lynch, because she deliberately plays in an anti-town manner. She did mention to had led mislynches on town because she wanted to conceal her scumtells as a response to pressure.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 10:21:10 PM
At 7/16/2012 9:21:59 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
I guess I do #1 the most. I tend to lock on someone and never let go,

Ya don't say...lol
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 10:23:16 PM
At 7/16/2012 10:21:10 PM, medic0506 wrote:
At 7/16/2012 9:21:59 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
I guess I do #1 the most. I tend to lock on someone and never let go,

Ya don't say...lol

Lol. Yeah, that was an example of it not working out.
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 10:30:51 PM
I like this F-16. A couple of things to note:

1) Minimilization is essentially imo, another way of saying tunneling. Minimilization can also mean, again imo, focusing upon one aspect of a situation/behavior/fos/, while ignoring all other evidence that suggests the opposite.

2) I remember that 007 game. It was one of the first games I played in and I was such a noob. My opinion is that as time progresses one realizes that OMGUS is a highly inneficient tactic in regards to actuallt catching scum.

3) I like your process of elimination approach. It is something I use myself often both here and on Epicmafia. Imo its definitely one of the more efficient tactics in regards to scumhunting.
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 2:30:11 AM
F-16, this is a fascinating subject except you don't make it clear whether 'attack manoeuvres' are from the Mafia or town's point of view! Massive playstyle differences... I'll presume you're discussing town strategy.

Firstly, the term 'attack manoeuvres' is a blatant misnomer. I don't now about you, but I don't focus my player analysis based on a 'manoeuvre' . Wrong term. Also, the changing nature of the situation and the nature of the game as to what information is or isn't relevant (or exists) is far more critical.

Nevertheless, 4 and 5 are stupid as town. While 5 might work as Mafia, and occassionally 5 could work, you need to be certain that your best Mafia detector is town, and you need strong confirmation for that. A pathetic strategy, although 4 is even more horrid. 3 tends to be fairly useless, but it's important to keep it as a deterrent against useless behaviour, like not claiming when under pressure.

1 and 2 are both reliable mechanisms, as are degrees of 1 and 2. Of course to what extent these are 'manoeuvres' .

On your own addition, of course I use it. But it's not a manoeuvre. The thread title is horribly misleading.

Now, a discussion of Mafia strategy and analysis could be useful. I'd particularly like to focus on the overemphasis given to roles on DDO at the expense of behavioural analysis. For instance, a certain player once said that behaviour was irrelevant. It's like the neoclassical model where price is focused on to an extent that other factors are ignored; that which is quantifiable tends to be overemphasised.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 2:47:02 AM
@Logic

I agree with you completely about behavioral analysis being undervalued here. I've told other players before that I think behavior is more reliable a scum-tell than investigative results, as results are so often flavored or otherwise modified, but behavior never lies. The mafia has to mislynch townies to win, and that will always reflect in their behavior in some way or other.

I think you also pointed out a very important part of being a good townie: being flexible. For example, (4) is only a bad strategy if you stick to it regardless of what happens (royal in The Wire), but it actually could be useful in certain situations. The main thing as a townie is to be flexible and willing to use different kinds of analysis for different situations.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 2:58:42 AM
Play like an idiot.
Examples: Me in every game I have played.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Chrysippus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 10:08:18 AM
My infallible strategy: #7: Be vanilla, go to work, come back to find out town lynched you DP1.

Happens every time.
Cavete mea inexorabilis legiones mimus!
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 10:19:00 AM
At 7/17/2012 10:08:18 AM, Chrysippus wrote:
My infallible strategy: #7: Be vanilla, go to work, come back to find out town lynched you DP1.

Happens every time.

You forget:

Infiltrate the Masons NP1 and gain the trust of the Town politician to last until DP9.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 2:00:41 PM
You forgot Barnacle and Vote Hopping.

I think Vote Hopping is something I do, or have a tendancy to do, more often. I try to curtail it because I recognize it as a scumtell though, apparently, I shouldn't.