BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2012 10:52:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Town wins!

1st place: Town
2nd place: Mafia (LK, FT, Logic, Caveat)
Third-parties: none

Mafia roles:

LK - You are Monsanto, the world's most dominant agriculture and biotechnology company. Your company is highly controversial in more ways than one. Your geneticaly-enhanced crop seeds are alleged to be toxic, your growth hormone supplied to cows is claimed to cause cancer, your pesticide products destroy the environment, and you sue anyone who tries to stand up to you. As such, you are the Godfather/Diviner. In addition to showing innocent to investigation, each night you can select a role and be informed if anyone in the town has that role. You win with the mafia.

FT - You are British Petroleum (BP). You have become one of the most hated companies in the world after your responsibility in the Gulf of Mexico oil spill. And since petroleum is found in almost any modern product, you are the mafia JOAT with the following abilities:

1. Frame
2. Lawyer
2. Voodoo - select three words. Your victim will be informed of them. If they write any of the words in the next DP, death.
4. You win with the mafia.

Logic - You are Philip Morris International, the world's leading tobacco and cigarette company. You own tobacco brands such as Marlboro, Long Beach, Red & White, etc. But since tobacco is the #1 leading cause of preventable death, you have come under scrutiny for unsafe products. Each night you can hook a player up with your unhealthy merchandise, roleblocking them for the night.

Caveat - You are Facebook, inc. While generally regarded as a productive company, you repeatedly have to deal with controversy surrounding privacy invasions and lower workforce productivity due to workers spending too much time on your site. Still, your vast network of profiles allows anyone to find out who other people are and what they're doing. Each night you can either Role Cop or Track a player. You win with the mafia.

Town roles:

F-16 - You are Lockheed-Martin, a private military and weapons company. You manufacture an assortment of weapons, and sell them along with contracting military troops for a profit. Your manufactured weapons give you multiple ways to kill. Each NP you can either vig kill a player, or become a Bomb for the NP. You win with the town.

Iflyhigh - You are Apple, the world's strongest technology company. As the creator of the iPhone, iPad, and Mac, all of which are used to do a variety of tasks, you are the JOAT. You have 1-shot powers to:

1. Investigate
2. Role cop
3. Watch
4. Flavor-revive - choose a dead player, and they will be able to speak (not vote) for the next 2 DPs.

You win with the town.

Johnny - You are Walgreens, the largest pharmeceutical company in the US. You sell a variety of prescription and non-prescription drugs, mostly directed towards pain relief and sickness prevention. You are therefore the Even-night Doctor. Protect 1 player on even NPs. You win with the town.

Budda - You are Bain Capital. You are a private equity firm that has been featured frequently on the news due to Mitt Romney's presidential campaign, who was the CEO and chairman. After 1999, you laid off a large number of workers, and invested heavily in Stericycle, which disposes of aborted fetuses. Naturally, Romney wants to avoid the scrutiny from this, and therefore claims he "left" the company before those events happened. However, this claim has been heavily questioned and disputed. Due to the controversy surrounding your company, you are the Miller. You win with the town.

Airmax - You are UnitedHealth, a major health insurance company. You fund your customer's visits to the doctor, hospital, etc, fixing them of their health-related issues. Each night you can heal a player and fix any issues/negative flavors with their role. You win with the town.

Note: no one's role needs fixing

Drafterman - You are ExxonMobil, the world's largest energy company. You also are #1 in the world in reveue. With your monstrous revenue numbers, running you out of business will be difficult. You are x1 Bulletproof. You also have authority as the world's largest energy company. You have a 1-shot ability to single-handedly decide who to lynch during a DP. You win with the town.

Medic - You are General Motors. As a dominant retailer of a variety of different automobiles, you also have a variety of abilities. However, your cars are inferior to foreign designs, and it was only through a government bailout that you didn't go out of business entirely. You have x1 abilities to: Frame, lawyer, silence, bus drive. You must use one ability each night. You win with the town.

Mestari - You are Google, a provider of several internet services. You also own the world's largest search engine, which can be used to find out any piece of information. Each night you can Google a player and find out what character they are. You win with the town.

TUF - You are Wayne Enterprises. Wayne as is, Bruce Wayne. Thats right, you are the fictional conglomerate of the Batman Universe. You are the largest company in all of Gotham, holding branches in virtually every category of company, such as Technology, health care, biotech, chemicals, etc. As such, you are the Backup JOAT, and will inherit their abilities when the correct player dies. You win with the town.

HCP - You are Gringotts, the main banking company of the Harry Potter universe. Wizards deposit their coins and possessions into your heavily guarded vaults for you to watch them and make sure nothing happens. As such, you are the odd-night Watcher. You win with the town.

Spinko - You are AT&T, the leading provider of cell phone service. Since you provide consumers with the means to communicate with each other anytime and anywhere, you are the daytime messenger. Each DP you can message a player and converse with them until the DP ends (you can send the message yourself, just include me in it). You win with the town.

Royal - You are Juggle, the owner of DDO. After a long period of inactivity towards the site, you have finally started to install new updates and satisfy the community. Because you have the good faith of most site members, you are the beloved townie and take 1 extra vote to lynch. You win with the town.

Thoughts:

Now I know how Logic felt in Blaise Massacre, where the town dominated despite the mod feeling like the game was balanced.

The mafia had some bad luck, and also got outplayed. FT hitting the Bomb NP1 really hurt, especially after the great play he made on the first DP. The mafia were extremely conflicted over whether to kill F-16 that night, but LK wouldn't budge and went through with it. It was downhill from there, as Drafterman made a risky but strong play, lynching LK based solely off behavior. And the Cop just happened to be the last role revealed to the mafia.

Despite the blowout, the mafia were pretty strong. Between the Role Cop, Diviner, and Janitor, the mafia would have no problem fake claiming roles. Also, Caveat had an extremely town-like power. Facebook is a strong claim, plus he had a confirmable Tracker role (and the town didnt have one). He could also fake claim Role Cop, and if LK died first, his death would semi-confirm him because LK was basically a role cop as well. I offset those confirmations by giving the role to the least experienced player in the mafia. It worked - Caveat didn't think to confirm himself through LK's role, and he didn't even bother role claiming.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2012 10:53:01 PM
The mafia also got unlucky in killing 2 mislynch targets (Medic and Airmax), and FT's death cleared Budda.

But I'll give the town, and especially Drafterman, credit. His suspicions were spot on, minus TUF. He got LK killed and F-16 took his advice to investigate Caveat. F-16 got 2 guilties on Cop results after replacing Mestari, and Johnny doc'd an NK, so good job on their part. I guess it speaks to how well they did when the mafia were all dead before the last 2 townies even had to role claim.

So gg to town, to mafia, better luck next time. They didn't play badly. I actually thought FT's CC was pretty sweet. But his death basically created a snowball that accumulated into the town's win. Solid W from the townies.
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2012 10:57:36 PM
At 7/24/2012 10:56:43 PM, IFLYHIGH wrote:
Drafter is a beast. GG.
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2012 11:00:18 PM
Drafter, was there any particular reason to kill me?
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2012 11:46:23 PM
At 7/24/2012 11:00:18 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

Your relentless assault on Gringott's. Your reasoning was grasping at the tiniest thread of scumminess HCP's claim, which in my opinion didn't even exist. From what I remember you argued that it's an obscure reference, Harry and co. were attacked by goblins and a dragon (when stealing from the bank mind you), and that Gringott's was a monopoly. When I read the DP I honestly had no idea where you were going with that, especially since we knew Drafter was holding onto a day-kill...

I wasn't online at the time else I would have spammed the crap out of the mafia PM to stop you.
There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. " Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, which presents the difficulties.
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2012 11:58:54 PM
At 7/24/2012 11:46:23 PM, caveat wrote:

Your relentless assault on Gringott's. Your reasoning was grasping at the tiniest thread of scumminess HCP's claim, which in my opinion didn't even exist. From what I remember you argued that it's an obscure reference, Harry and co. were attacked by goblins and a dragon (when stealing from the bank mind you), and that Gringott's was a monopoly. When I read the DP I honestly had no idea where you were going with that, especially since we knew Drafter was holding onto a day-kill...

I wasn't online at the time else I would have spammed the crap out of the mafia PM to stop you.

Yeah what Caveat said. Still, I was surprised when Drafter killed you.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2012 12:19:37 AM
Nice game and yes, Drafter is a beast. Excellent play from town. Mafia did get screwed over a bit. Here is the important part though - the problem wasn't game balance, the problem was luck. Had FT not hit the bomb, mafia would have one more awesome mafioso, an amazing claim and a superpowerful role. So, 1 mafioso died for no fault of theirs. Drafter had no problem cleaning up the rest. From a balance perspective, I guess BlackVoid included FourTrouble's role into the game balance so once it was eliminated, it seemed extremely unbalanced.

Unlike Vito's revenge, and Kill Bill, where I felt it was somewhat easy as town and the balance helped town quite a bit and was partly the cause of a town win, this game Drafterman was pretty much the sole cause of a town win with some bad luck for the mafia hitting the bomb.

Can we see the mafia PM? It would interesting to see how the premier players like Logic strategize.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2012 12:38:11 AM
Maifa PM as requested: http://www4.picturepush.com...

And yeah, I was impressed with how Logic was strategizing as early as DP1. Unfortunantly there wasn't much he could do late-game.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2012 12:41:46 AM
All of my games previously had multiple third parties, but after that hurt the town so much in Countries, I went with 0. My usual mod strategy is to make the mafia powerful and put several mislynch targets on the town, but compensate by giving the town a large room for error. And I felt like that margin was smaller than I wanted it to be with 3Ps in the game.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2012 3:01:41 AM
At 7/25/2012 12:41:46 AM, BlackVoid wrote:
All of my games previously had multiple third parties, but after that hurt the town so much in Countries, I went with 0. My usual mod strategy is to make the mafia powerful and put several mislynch targets on the town, but compensate by giving the town a large room for error. And I felt like that margin was smaller than I wanted it to be with 3Ps in the game.

I almost did that with kill bill mafia, but threw one in for balance.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2012 3:11:53 AM
At 7/25/2012 12:38:11 AM, BlackVoid wrote:
Maifa PM as requested: http://www4.picturepush.com...

And yeah, I was impressed with how Logic was strategizing as early as DP1. Unfortunantly there wasn't much he could do late-game.

Lol cant believe I read through that entire PM.

You guys were pretty hostile to LK there in the beginning lol.

"Are you a coward LK?" hahahahaha
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2012 3:21:49 AM
I really liked the design of this game and wish I had a chance to play in it.

drafter played really well in this game. I really wish I hadn't died, as I really would have enjoyed the challenge of trying to trick him and the rest of town with my DP1 claim.

To be completely honest, I was really upset with the night-action choices in this game from my team. In the future, when I'm mafia again, I'm following my instincts regardless of what the team thinks.
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2012 4:35:14 AM
Wow... what a total collapse on the Mafia's part. Really though, much of it was luck based.

Losing the JOAT on NP 1 really screwed us. Put simply, town could now trust all guilty investigations. Then LK got killed and suddenly half the town seemed confirmed. Caveat got investigated by a cop I thought didn't exist and in the last DP I just decided to have a few laughs and draft a maniacal claim. Didn't work. Sorry if I was hostile there, but I wanted my claim to be entertained...

As for night actions, I was too inactive this game to make informed decisions due to ongoing Internet issues. Granted, NP 1 and NP 2 were horrific... I did vote with FT on the NP 1 ideas though (2-2 split) , so him criticising the entire team is a bit much, as Caveat was fine as well. Besides, NP 1 is always a bit arbitrary. Nevertheless, I made poor choices.

I'm sorry if the Mafia put up minimal resistance, but things just went wrong...

Thanks to Blackvoid for attentive modding.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2012 7:19:36 AM

I was totally put off by the way you were defending me DP2. As far as I'm aware, you never defend anyone. Granted, that's the same reason I put TUF in that spot as well, and was wrong, but the Gringotts issue was a small factor, as it came off as spinning up some minor point into a lynchable offense, much in the same way you went after Budda in Vito's revenge.

Speaking of which, Budda, this was like the third time you were miller in a very short period of time (Vito, Marx). Who did you piss off?
caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2012 12:20:03 PM
At 7/25/2012 12:17:25 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
The rule about LK held true as well: When LK plays pro-town and gives good analysis, he is mafia.

lool
There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. " Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, which presents the difficulties.
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2012 5:28:58 PM
At 7/25/2012 12:17:25 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
The rule about LK held true as well: When LK plays pro-town and gives good analysis, he is mafia.

Yep
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.