Jump to topic:

Slaves of Time Mafia Introduction

Mestari
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2012 6:59:12 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
The first set of DPs will not go up until late tonight or early tomorrow morning, depending on when I have time to randomize the teams, send out role pms, and set up the DPs. However, I feel that I ought to give you guys a little teaser - as well as an introduction. Those who are keen will remember that I stated there will be a special DP mechanic that the players can manipulate. What may that mechanic be? Time travel. There will be two states of time players will be able to take part in at any given time: The past and the future. During the night phase players may travel to the alternative state. Basically the way the process will work is that half of the players will begin in the past and half will begin in the future. Each state may lynch and play out normally, except during the NP you have the option of forfeiting your action to travel to the other state (also becoming a commuter for the NP) as soon as the NP ends. Once 10 players are remaining the two states will converge into a singularity. I'm not going to give away anything else quite yet. Enjoy the teaser!
Rules of Mafia

1. Mestari is never third party.
2. If Mestari claims an intricate and page long TP role, he's telling the truth.
3. Mestari always jointly wins with the town.
3b. If he doesn't he's mafia.
3c. If he was mafia you wouldn't suspect him in the first place.
4. If you lynch Mestari you will lose because he will be the third party Doctor or some other townie power role.
5. DP1 lynches are good.
6. The answer is always no.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2012 7:04:38 PM
So, two separate side-by-side games which later converge? As in players in one state may not lynch players in the other?

Can they FOS each other and offer suggestions to the other phase assuming the other state is also reading the day phase?
Mestari
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2012 7:06:24 PM
At 8/6/2012 7:04:38 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
So, two separate side-by-side games which later converge? As in players in one state may not lynch players in the other?

Can they FOS each other and offer suggestions to the other phase assuming the other state is also reading the day phase?

No. The two DPs cannot interact and players are forbidden from speaking in a time-state that they are not in. Of course, there is no way to keep players from dropping subtle hints in their own day phase hoping that members of the other will read it, but being as it is against the spirit of the game I ask players not to and if abuse is evident, offenders will be punished accordingly.
Rules of Mafia

2. If Mestari claims an intricate and page long TP role, he's telling the truth.
4. If you lynch Mestari you will lose because he will be the third party Doctor or some other townie power role.
5. DP1 lynches are good.
Mestari
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2012 7:17:33 PM
As clarification: You can talk about scum-tells players made in the other state given that they are in the same state as you. For example: Bob says X in the past. Bob and Andy are in the future. Andy can use X against Bob. I just don't want Susie, who is in the past, explaining why Bob needs to be lynched.
Rules of Mafia

5. DP1 lynches are good.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2012 7:23:51 PM
Makes sense. I am really looking forward to this. Should be fun. Only thing is if the entire town switches states every night, they all turn into commuters and mafia can never get any night kills.
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2012 7:24:45 PM
At 8/6/2012 7:23:51 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Makes sense. I am really looking forward to this. Should be fun. Only thing is if the entire town switches states every night, they all turn into commuters and mafia can never get any night kills.

lol.
Mestari
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2012 7:27:24 PM
At 8/6/2012 7:23:51 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

LOL. But they all forfeit their night actions though so there's no investigations. That would be pretty funny though. By the looks of things I should be able to finish with my work in about an hour so I can start randomizing the roles and sending out the pms.
Rules of Mafia

5. DP1 lynches are good.
Mestari
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2012 8:22:25 PM
I finished my work so it's time to randomize and send out role PMs.
Rules of Mafia

5. DP1 lynches are good.
caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 3:31:54 PM
At 8/7/2012 3:29:17 PM, Hardcore.Pwnography wrote:
What's a commuter do again?

"Leaves" town for a night and becomes untargetable.
There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. " Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, which presents the difficulties.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 3:33:11 PM
At 8/7/2012 3:29:17 PM, Hardcore.Pwnography wrote:
What's a commuter do again?

Suffers from road rage and goes on a killing spree before jumping off of an overpass.
Mestari
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 3:37:16 PM
At 8/7/2012 3:34:43 PM, Hardcore.Pwnography wrote:
Also, can we use actions on players of another time?

No.
Rules of Mafia

5. DP1 lynches are good.
caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 3:42:03 PM
If one chose to time travel to a different state, but it is during the DP of the state, do they automatically join said DP?
There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. " Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, which presents the difficulties.
Mestari
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 3:42:54 PM
At 8/7/2012 3:40:39 PM, Hardcore.Pwnography wrote:
So technically one game can finish and the other still in DP3.

The two time-states converge when 10 players remain. Even if the mafia had a majority in one time-state the game would not end.
Rules of Mafia

5. DP1 lynches are good.
Mestari
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 3:44:22 PM
At 8/7/2012 3:42:03 PM, caveat wrote:
If one chose to time travel to a different state, but it is during the DP of the state, do they automatically join said DP?

Once the NP ends of the time-state they are in, they automatically join the other time-state. This is to prevent people from altering their night actions to avoid the commuter effect. If the alternative time-state is in NP, as the past is now, then the commuters will be stuck-in-transit until the DP begins.
Rules of Mafia

5. DP1 lynches are good.
Mestari
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2012 2:47:25 PM
Better ask one of your mafia buddies.
Rules of Mafia

5. DP1 lynches are good.
caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2012 3:10:20 PM
Man, it's pretty tempting to read the other Time State DP with all its activity :(
caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2012 3:38:04 PM
I think this would have been awesome if the separate DPs were done in PMs.
Mestari
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 12:14:20 AM
Everyone is probably wondering what will happen to their roles when the singularity occurs. Now that there are 15 players left (14, but 2 died last night in the future) you get to find out. Everybody will permanently keep the role they have in the time-state that they are NOT in when the singularity occurs. I.e. If you have role X in the past and role Y in the future then you will have role Y if you are in the past during the singularity and role X if you are in the future. Players who only have one role need not worry.
Rules of Mafia

5. DP1 lynches are good.
caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 9:08:08 AM
At 8/14/2012 12:14:20 AM, Mestari wrote:
Everyone is probably wondering what will happen to their roles when the singularity occurs. Now that there are 15 players left (14, but 2 died last night in the future) you get to find out. Everybody will permanently keep the role they have in the time-state that they are NOT in when the singularity occurs. I.e. If you have role X in the past and role Y in the future then you will have role Y if you are in the past during the singularity and role X if you are in the future. Players who only have one role need not worry.

I'm sad. I wanted to make it to the singularity :(
Dat misplay.