The Mentalist Mafia - Endgame

bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 3:11:38 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Endgame

WINNERS: MAFIA (Fourtrouble, lickdafoot)

LOSERS: town (everyone else)

FT - Red John – The main antagonist in the story. You have been able to hide the body of all your victims; even the one who was found, you were able to steal her body right from under the cop's noses. You also manage to burn one man alive while he is in police custody. You can kill whomever you want, whenever you want. Thus, you have a *day* "night kill" that operates anytime during the DP, instead of during the NP. You janitor whomever you kill during the day as well, since the bodies disappear. The person's role and character will not appear and it will be told to you instead.

In addition, you seem to be able to infiltrate the police station and recruit anyone you like to your side, even people who are extremely close to Jane. Thus, you have the ability to recruit 3 people. You can use these recruits at *any* point during the game – you can use one at a time, or all at once. I'll accept your recruit choices if you are lynched, as long as you submit them before being lynched. The only restriction is that you can't recruit Jane. You killed his wife and daughter – he would never go to your side. Anyone else is fair game. [You never know what might happen in this series… Red John can get to anyone.]

Jane doesn't know who you are. No one has seen your face. The cops could be looking right at you and they wouldn't know it. Thus, you are the Godfather and fool all investigative roles. You win with the Mafia.

Advice:

With Red John, the people surrounding Jane are merely Red John's play-things. Likewise, the town is your instrument. You can either choose to recruit people because their roles will help you or for their confirmation. But choose wisely. You get 3 choices and that's it. Choose too soon and incorrectly and you might be setting yourself up for a quick loss. If you jump the gun and recruit too soon, you prevent people from confirming themselves, and you also might mistakenly recruit mislynch targets. Clearly, in this game, town has nothing to go on except their role results, your eventual (fake) role claim, and behavior - since most of your team is recruits [and thus have real roles].

When someone you recruit dies, it will be revealed that they were recruited. Keep this in mind.

**Your kills will be automatically time delayed, to hide your identity, unless otherwise specified. You may tell me when you want the kill to go through, but if you don't, I'll automatically delay it for as long as I see as necessary. Be careful DP1 – if you are pressed for a claim and kill someone at that exact time, you'll look pretty guilty. You may want to submit your DP1 kill as soon as you log on.**

If the DP ends without you submitting a kill, you forfeit your action. Be careful about this.

Apollo - Patrick Jane – You read body language and are able to tell when anyone is lying. Thus, you are the Lie Detector. You also appear guilty to investigations (see DP1 OP). You win with the town.

F-16 - Teresa Lisbon – As the lead detective on the squad, you have gotten used to Jane's shenanigans. You have soaked up a great deal from him and thus have great investigative abilities. Each NP, investigate one person's affiliation. You win with the town.

[insane cop]

Johnny - Kimball Cho – You have good instincts and follow Jane's lead, which means you are usually right. You are quite the good detective. But you, of course, always have to run your results by someone else. If you don't, Jane usually gets you in trouble. Thus, each NP, choose one person to investigate and one person to send the results to. The results will only be sent if the person you investigate is found guilty. You win with the town.

[real cop]

Budda - Wayne Rigsby – You are a cop, but not a particularly good one. Jane is always right and you are always wrong. Thus, you are the naïve cop. You win with the town.

Medic - Grace Van Pelt – Although you are troubled by the recent loss of your fiancé, somehow his death only seems to sharpen your instincts. You are a cop who investigates alignment, but you have to run your results by Jane before you proceed. Each NP, investigate one person and your results will be sent to Patrick Jane. If Jane is dead, you are a vanilla. You win with the town.

[paranoid cop]

HCP - James Panzer – You are an overeager vigilante who can only kill female characters. Each NP, you *must* target someone for a kill. You win with the town.

BV - Summer Edgecombe. Prostitute, i.e. townie RB'er: each NP, you *must* role block one person. You win with the town.

TUF1 - Kristina Frye – Psychic and the love of Jane's life. On NP2, you will be told how many mafiosos were in on the DP2 lynch vote. You win with the town.

USM/Blackhawk - Bret Stiles – Mason recruiter. Each night phase, recruit one person into Visualize. You win with the town.

Zaradi - Madeleine Hightower. It is your job to supervise Patrick. Thus, if you target him, you will be placed into a lover's PM with him. Each NP, target one person. You win with the town.

Logic - J.J. LaRoche. As an internal affairs agent, you are a cop who locks up other cops. Thus, you are the jailkeeper. Each NP, protect one person but RB that person as well. You win with the town.

Caveat - Gale Bertram – The demands of the job are too stressful and you decide to retire. Thus, you are a vanilla townie.

Ifly - Rosalind Harker. You have a soothing touch and are thus the doctor. Each NP, protect one person. You win with the town.

Mestari1 - Karen Kross – Reporter. You are a pretty annoying upstart reporter, determined to get her story. You can thus publish whatever you like in the OP. Submit some text before the end of the NP and I'll "publish" it in the OP. If you fail to submit it on time, you miss your deadline and forfeit your turn. A good reporter needs to stay on top of her game. In addition, your editor finds you annoying, so you are limited to 200 characters (with spaces). You win with the town.

Lickdafoot - Dane Kurtik – The police think you killed a young girl. Just because you were banging her. You think this is all so unfair. You are the miller. You win with the town.

MiG/mestari2 - Luther Wainwright – Supervisor. You don't trust Patrick at all and oversee everything he does. Thus all actions targeting Patrick must be "run by you" and are thus redirected to you. You win with the town.

NP1

HCP shoots budda (he's a man so no kill)
Apollo tests drafterman's role and character claim – result: true
Ifly Doc FT
Johnny: Investigate medic, send result to Drafter
BV roleblocks drafter
Medic – investigate caveat (guilty, results sent to MiG)
USM recruits fourtrouble
Logic jails drafter
Budda investigates medic

NP2

HCP shoots Apollo (male, so fail)
TUF is told: 1 mafioso
Ifly docs logic
Budda investigates himself (result: innocent)
Apollo investigates MiG (result: true)
USM recruits Apollo
BV roleblocks USM (informed)
Medic investigates FT (guilty sent to MiG)
Zaradi targets TUF (fails)
Logic RB drafter

NP3

Budda investigates mestari
HCP shoots TUF (TUF dies because he is female)
Ifly docs himself
Jail BV
USM Recruit Apollo
BV blocks LDF
Zaradi targets Apollo (redirect, fail)
Airmax tests zaradi (result: true)

NP4
logic/BV block each other
budda investigates zaradi
blackhawk recruits LDF

DP5

zaradi dies, FT recruits two random people to win

Mod notes: This game was supposed to force you to focus on behavior and ignore confirmations. Games on this site are too formulaic - cop a few people, lynch scummy claims, done. This game was supposed to challenge that. Sadly, blackvoid was the only one who had a clue, and only in the last phase. I didn't fully read it, but it appears no one listened. BV predicted LDF's recruitment.

The OP clues from the last two day phases should be obvious now. Recruitment was heavily hinted at.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 3:14:11 PM
Well, congratulations on a rather interesting game.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 3:16:38 PM
FT claimed cop right?

When I died claiming cop and FT didn't, that should have been a pretty good clue. I knew he was mafia after that.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 3:18:15 PM
At 8/12/2012 3:16:38 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
FT claimed cop right?

When I died claiming cop and FT didn't, that should have been a pretty good clue. I knew he was mafia after that.

NVM, I just realized there are like 5 cops. Did FT claim a flavor though?
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 3:19:13 PM
I think I may have done too much at once (both janitor all the kills and allow the godfather to choose his team). The latter mechanic alone would have been far more interesting, particularly if I just told town that it would happen, instead of using OP clues.

Town made a lot of mistakes though. As far as I can tell, you guys ended the game without ever even getting a full list of claims. I don't think zaradi ever character claimed. You never really did any analysis of cop results (one of them had to be real, cmon...), etc. FT also claimed naive cop, which budda cc's. Budda's role was given to help you guys narrow down what the other cops were, assuming FT didn't kill and janitor them all....... The sensor results were supposed to confuse you, but also were meant to become obvious that there weren't 4 mafia in the game at that particular time. Within the results was accurate, but the assumptions you guys made in regards to outside the results were dead wrong.

This wasn't my favorite game, in terms of how it played out. But neither was The Wire, and I think that game was also brilliantly designed. But mafia too easily won that one too. I think the design on this game could have used work, but the mechanics are extremely faithful to my interpretation of the show. In retrospect, I should have only given Red John 2 recruits, but it worked out since you guys no longer wanted to play.

It's hard designing games. Seeing FT and BV easily win the game before this (the one I played in before TUF's, I forget which it was), I get the sense that town can easily figure things out and nail people based on behavior. But somehow those same skills don't translate into my games, in spite of so many mislynch targets people rely too much on roles. I need to work on designing games that are still pro-mafia without so confusing town that they just lynch whoever just to get it over with. Or maybe players need to evaluate how they play the game. What do you guys think?
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 3:20:11 PM
At 8/12/2012 3:18:15 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
FT claimed cop right?

He claimed probably naive (with hints in his PM that he was naive), but possibly real
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 3:21:12 PM
At 8/12/2012 3:20:11 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 8/12/2012 3:18:15 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
FT claimed cop right?

He claimed probably naive (with hints in his PM that he was naive), but possibly real

Then thats a CC on either me or Budda. Was he ever FOSed?
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 3:22:35 PM
From what I remember from DP2, FT claimed cop. Then I said I was also cop, and mentioned my flavor. I was promptly shot. FT was not.

That should have raised some eyebrows IMO.
caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 3:25:36 PM
So I was right about the mafia setup... damn.
There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. " Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, which presents the difficulties.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 3:25:48 PM
This game seemed interesting and a mind-fvck. I wonder how it would have played out if I wasn't janitored DP1. Why you kill me FT?

Good game though.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 3:25:52 PM
I'm glad FT was mafia, I would have been really ticked if he was town.

I'll post more when I get off work, but this is a game I kind if want to get out of my memory as soon as possible. Yeah it was pro mafia to the extreme, but the towns performance was embarrassing at times especially the DPs where Apollo and me were lynched.
caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 3:26:37 PM
At 8/12/2012 3:22:35 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
From what I remember from DP2, FT claimed cop. Then I said I was also cop, and mentioned my flavor. I was promptly shot. FT was not.

I questioned why you were shot over Apollo... FT didn't really come into the picture.
There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. " Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, which presents the difficulties.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 3:28:22 PM
Also multiple janitors = SO overpowered, it is ridiculous. I hate using even one janitor since it means that if active players are killed, they can simply come back in as replacements.

I wish BV didn't give up though. He could have won it for town.
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 3:28:52 PM
At 8/12/2012 3:25:48 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
This game seemed interesting and a mind-fvck. I wonder how it would have played out if I wasn't janitored DP1. Why you kill me FT?

Good game though.

I apologize for killing you. I saw an opportunity to trick Logic (I knew he'd think I was town just because I killed you), so I took it.
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 3:30:24 PM
I keep stressing game after game that people should rely on behaviors and ignore results. The fact that I said that in this game, and then went ahead and lynched people based on results, should have been the sign I was scum.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 3:31:41 PM
At 8/12/2012 3:21:15 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
I knew Licky was mafia. I totally told her in a PM that I knew. Wasn't so certain about FT though.

He claimed your character... You could have figured it out.

I was sad that you died. One key to this game working was to have all the most analytical players alive later in the game.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 3:32:14 PM
At 8/12/2012 3:22:35 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:

agreed
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 3:35:16 PM
At 8/12/2012 3:31:41 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 8/12/2012 3:21:15 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
I knew Licky was mafia. I totally told her in a PM that I knew. Wasn't so certain about FT though.

He claimed your character... You could have figured it out.

I was sad that you died. One key to this game working was to have all the most analytical players alive later in the game.

Oh, indeed he did. I wasn't even keeping track. I was focussing on behaviors and ldf, bv, and logic seemed scummy the most.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 3:35:52 PM
Good game FT. I wasted a lot of analysis character claims, game mechanics, and mod psychology. I am displeased at the results of this game, but can see why we lost. GG.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 3:41:29 PM
I think the only problem with the game design was the fact I could recruit at any time. I think if you put a limit to the recruitment (say I could only recruit at night), the game design would have been pretty balanced, since I would have had to really think about when and who to recruit. As it was, I could just wait things out, and if I ever came under pressure, I could just kill or recruit whoever thought I was mafia (not that it mattered, since no one ever suspected me).

I think if there were more players on the town who focus on behavior - say if me and F-16 had been teamed with BV - then this game could have easily been won by the town.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 3:41:40 PM
At 8/12/2012 3:35:52 PM, TUF wrote:
Good game FT. I wasted a lot of analysis character claims, game mechanics, and mod psychology. I am displeased at the results of this game, but can see why we lost. GG.

I must say, I take great pains to trick anyone who tries to use mod psychology on me. If I never do something, suddenly doing it can be quite fun because it throws people off (like writing OP's).
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 3:44:55 PM
@bluesteel

Also, I chose to claim naive cop instead of sane cop because I knew the town would buy it - it was based on mod psychology - why wouldn't you put a hidden naive cop when there is another naive cop who knows it? It seems like something you would do, regardless of the fact it was a cc. I also figured it would help make the town trust TUF and Apollo, since they would assume all the cops were flavored.
IFLYHIGH
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 4:17:29 PM
At 8/12/2012 3:28:22 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Also multiple janitors = SO overpowered, it is ridiculous. I hate using even one janitor since it means that if active players are killed, they can simply come back in as replacements.

I wish BV didn't give up though. He could have won it for town.

I wish so too. I was seriously doubting myself after his response to FT's FOS. But then he just gave up and asked to be lynched so I went with it. FT though is seriously one hard person to read. Every time I get a feeling he might be mafia(like I did this one), I can never find a reason to FOS him.
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 5:23:50 PM
I stopped trying after the third janitor.

Bluesteel, as much as I understand you wanting an emphasis put on behavior in your games, I think you took it a bit overboard with how little useful information town recieved in the game. Of course, I can understand why you would, wanting to make a pro-mafia game. However I am surprised that you are yourself surprised your past two games have been easily won by mafia.

If the games were made to be pro-mafia, expect that mafia will cruise to an easy win. Other than that, a decent game. Just felt it could have been much more balanced than it was.
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 5:29:23 PM
I VTL'd myself because 1. I wasn't enjoying the game (part due to the mafia being extremely well hidden and part because nobody but IFH listened to anything I said all game), 2. I was probably gonna be lynched anyway, and 3. Town wasn't going to win even if I wasn't lynched. I didn't see the point in delaying the inevitable.

I don't know about the game design. I knew it was pro mafia, but holy crap. So they have every DP unstoppable janitor kills, x3 recruitment, the GF is immune to every role in the game...dang. And since all the mafias roles worked during the DP, the protective roles were useless as we're the roleblockers. Combine that with the flavor cops, there were EIGHT vanillas.

I get that the game was supposed to be about behavior and not roles, but the town doesn't know that when the game starts. We only figured that out when the recruitment was announced, and by that time it was too late.

I guess FT played well and was assisted by the town mislynching plenty of people with minimal mafia involvement, but it was naturally going to end in a mafia W when they can pick their team and over half the town roles are vanilla or negative utility.

I don't know, maybe I'm still frustrated from last DP. I'll post later I guess
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 5:47:09 PM
@ifly

I agree, FT also played very well this game. I think he drew no suspicion until the last phase.

@budda

I'm not happy that my last two games weren't close. True. But I'm *also* disappointed that in my two games designed to force town to do a better job reading behavior, town basically went lynch happy on all the obvious mislynch targets and mafia coasted to an easy victory.

I'd rather the games have been closer. But I stand by the game design as being theoretically sound. It just wasn't born out how I wanted, in practice. Maybe my games need redesign.

BUT, from my perspective, in games where there are really good townies AND multiple role confirmations, it's really unfair. If you couple everyone being confirmed except 6 players (4 mafia plus 2 town) WITH good behavior analysis, the mafia never has any chance. There are too many games where town coasts to an easy win off good behavior analysis because the list of potential scum is so small.

There are entire sites like mafiascum (with a setup of 9 players: 2 mafia - 1 role cop, 1 goon, 6 vanillas, 1 doctor), where the entire game focuses solely on behavior. Honestly, being scum is hard and people have a ton of tells.

So in essence, I would have liked this game to have been closer. But I don't feel bad since the only person who remotely tried to read behavior was blackvoid and he was 100% correct. That should PROVE to you that behavioral analysis makes it easy to find scum regardless of whether you can confirm ANYONE with investigation. I also wouldn't feel good at all if you guys did get remotely close to winning this game when none of you even mentioned behavior in any of your posts. Personally, I think all successful lynches that hinge solely on an investigation are cheap copouts. The town didn't really win anything. They got lucky. Or the mod made it too easy.

So of course I'm going to be disappointed that the game wasn't closer and that you guys didn't have more fun and that the real mafia were never FOS'ed. But I really don't think it's fair for everyone to demand that a game confirm almost all the townies in order to make it fair. **Start reading behavior.** That's what mafia is all about. Ultimately, I'd like my games to both be fun and to challenge people to change their playstyles.

Ultimately, based on the endgame, F-16 and BV could pretty much find the mafia using solely behavior. It just came down to BV giving up, people not objectively listening to him, and no one else attempting behavior analysis. I was disappointed that logic, who usually does a good job looking at behavior, relied so much on claims and mod psych this game.

I'll admit that there were some elements I'd like to dial back. As soon as F-16 died, I remembered why I hate allowing janitors. BUT I'll also be very disappointed if this game doesn't get some of you to think more about looking at behavior. Even without the janitor, you guys were completely tripped up by all the mislynch targets, even when their behavior was decidedly pro-town. Apollo could not have been more obvious town, looking just at behavior.

So I guess what I'm saying is: rule number one of mafia - first, trust only behavior. At least, that should be rule number one in all my games.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 6:04:01 PM
@BV

I do see what you're saying. Perhaps it would have been more fair with only a 1x janitor and 1 or 2 recruits. But all the roles being vanilla I don't see as unfair. As I mentioned, mafiascum has all vanillas and one investigator as a pretty standard setup.

HCP could have found out that FT was fake claiming, had he tried to kill him. Not all roles were useless. Killing TUF was useless though. And the point was that most everyone could confirm their roles. Honestly, had I been in this game I would never believe BV stupid enough to claim RBer if he was the mafia RBer.

The other thing I didn't get - town never tried to look at who was online to figure out who was doing the day kills. FT's name got thrown around on two separate occasions (DP1 and DP3 I believe) as to being one of the suspected culprits. FT was pretty brazen in not delaying his kills.

And as someone mentioned, kill choice was pretty blatant: he killed all the cops for some reason, even the clearly useless ones. And he didn't seem to care about the sensor results in terms of hiding him or his teammates.

And no one really looked at whether FT's results were real, and if they were, what the implication of that was.

Also, no one suggested trying to rush the DP's before the mafia could submit a kill. Even if you failed, you should have been able to infer something about who was in the mafia based on who was active vs. inactive. Even without having done this, it should have been obvious that the mafia included at least one superactive player.

I probably won't use janitors or multi-cop setups again, at least not for quite awhile. But you can never *really* trust what I say about what my future games will be ;)
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 10:26:35 PM
Final thoughts:

Blue is right that HCP could have tested FT. Honestly I completely forgot that he claimed a female character. Had I remembered, I would have heavy FOS'd FT for trying to implicate me through HCP dying when the same FOS applied to himself.

I guess what was frustrating for me wasn't the game balance, it was that nobody except Logic so much as thought about lynching anyone but me in the last DP. I was pretty confused to start the DP so I was looking forward to hearing other people's thoughts on the various players in the game. Instead, everyone focused exclusively on me and gave no analysis whatsoever on anybody else, so I remained unsure. Thats what the best thing usually is about playing with the best players. They notice things you don't, and vice versa. But FT was mafia, F-16 was dead, and Logic had an off game. So honestly I thought it was scummy that FT zeroed in on me when a townie should look at all possibilities in a LYLO situation, but I didnt call him out on it because literally everyone else was doing the exact same thing :/

So I wouldnt say the whole game was a bad experience, just the last DP basically. I still think mafia wins this game 8 times out of 10 as long as Red John is an experienced player, but looking back there were some things I should have picked up on that would have helped.

I would say though that losing like this pointed out some things I need to improve on, and I got to see how FT operates as mafia, so hopefully this loss will be beneficial in the long run. So I suppose Blue did a good job of making us focus on behavior more in the future.

Oh yeah, and based off LDF being mafia, I totally understand where Blue's coming from now where he says his biggest fear is inactive mafiosos, lol.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2012 12:07:15 AM
It was kinda sad how Mr. I never get mislynched just laid down and asked to be lynched. I don't know BV, it would have been better if you went down fighting rather than just giving up. I empathize with what you are saying (imbalanced game) but still town could have at least tried. If I were there, I would have found you the scummiest as well but would have been open to persuation.