Jump to topic:

Does modding make you worse as Mafia?

Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2012 1:59:36 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I've wondered recently that perhaps being a moderator weakens your ability as Mafia. Let me explain, and then I'd like feedback.

Basically, players in Mafia have a style of play, and when their role or the game in questions is conducive to that style of play then they tend to play better. Of course, often as a townie you get roles that aren't conducive to your style of play, but in a way this makes it more apparent that you're town.

Now, the second point is that players have a certain type of creativity. When fake claiming one does best when it matches one's style, for various reasons. For instance, my claims as a 3rd party hunter and my Pixar vs. Dreamworks claims are very specific styles of creativity.

One way that people show their creativity is by modding games. Nearly all of my games have had roles never seen on DDO before, notwithstanding the different style of gameplay each induces (the Slayer in Blaise Industries, the head inspector in Death in Mystere etc.) . Modding a game is an outlet for you to show a creative streak, and shows what you think could be new roles.

However, these flashes of creative brilliance are what you want when fake-claiming (or rather, sometimes want) ! By using up all your ingenious ideas in modding you limit yourself to a degree in what you can claim. For instance, my recent death in Slaves of Time was supposedly because I fake claimed a role akin to multiple cops ... a style I utilise heavily in my games. People then thought that such a claim was reflective of me fake-claiming, and they lynched me. Bringing it back, modding means that creative flair can be diminished. Furthermore, creative fake claims will tend to be of a different style to what you'd like to claim, with your style being seen in your modded games.

Now obviously part of being a Mafia player is altering your reads, always changing claim tactics etc. Also, a lot of the time a creative streak is not needed in fake claiming. However, if such things were only mitigating factors, then the question is does modding make you less creative, and hence weaker as a Mafioso?

Of course, there are positives to modding which might outweigh this, yet I'm still interested in feedback.

Now, was that an inarticulate, mumbled mess? Most likely.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
Hardcore.Pwnography
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2012 3:13:57 PM
I don\\\'t think so. I think modding makes you a better player because it gives you insights on how games are designed and player behaviours that you wouldn\\\'t usually have realized if you were a normal player.
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2012 3:39:13 PM
I see why you say it might be harder. But I think part of being creative at fake claiming is going with something that will fit into the theme, balance, and particularly, the mod's style.
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...