Total Posts:69|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Beginner's Games: 11.1 DP1

Viper-King
Posts: 4,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2012 9:52:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Introduction to Mafia:

Mafia is a game that pits an uninformed majority (the Town) against an informed minority (the Mafia). The mafia knows who they are, and (by process of elimination) who the town is. The mafia can coordinate strategies in a private PM. Each towns-person, however, doesn't know anything about anyone else. They could be town or mafia. The towns-people can only communicate publicly in the Day Phase threads.

The object of the game is to eliminate all opposing factions. The game is divided into Day and Night phases. The Day Phases involve deliberation and discussion about who could be a member of the Mafia, with the goal of getting the Mafia lynched. At any point in the day, you may Vote To Lynch a player using the following syntax: "VTL Drafterman." Of course, you would replace my name with the name of the player you are voting. Bolding your votes is required; unbolded votes will not count. If you wish to remove your vote, simply Unvote. Lastly, you can decide not to vote anyone by Voting To Not Lynch, or VTNL. Once a majority has been reached, votes are locked and the Day Phase will be ended with that person's death.

The Night Phases involve the use of abilities. Towns-persons and Mafia may be granted roles which grant them the use of abilities. What these abilities do is explained to each person in a PM. In addition to the use of abilities, the mafia may select an individual to die. This is known as a night kill, or NK. Who dies will be revealed at the beginning of the next Day phase.

The town wins when all mafia are dead. The mafia wins when they equal the number of towns people, since they can control the vote.

Terms, acronyms, and abbreviations:

Alignment - your status as Town, Mafia, or 3rd Party (anything not Town or Mafia).
Bandwagon - A "wagon" consists of the individuals voting for a person. Bandwagoning usually refers to hopping on such a wagon blindly or without clearly articulating your reasons.
BP - Bulletproof, a person immune to night kills.
Buddying - A tactic by mafia where they agree with or support towns people in an attempt to look innocent in return.
Bussing - When the mafia allow, or help, get one of their own members lynched, in order to look innocent in return, or to avoid suspicion.
Claim - Either Character Claim or Role Claim. This is a request to reveal this part of your Role.
Counter Claim - In most cases, roles are unique per game. A counter-claim is when one person challenges another person's role-claim by claiming the same role.
Fake Claim - Since your character or role can be indicative of your alignment, mafioso's usually invent fake claims to avoid suspicion. Cna also be done by Towns-persons trying to perform some sort of gambit.
FOS - Finger of suspicion. Indicates that you suspect someone of being mafia, but usually not enough to place a vote on them.
Hammer - Placing the last vote on someone to get them lynched.
JK - Jailkeeper, a combination of doctor and roleblocker.
LYLO - Lynch or Lose, a situation where the towns-people only outnumber the mafia by 1. Since the mafia gets a kill at night and this would tie them with the town and earn them a win, it is necessary for the town to lynch a mafia in this situation or they lose.
Modkill - You break my rules - I kill you. I will also retroactively convert you into a survivor such that you can't even claim a win with your original faction.
MYLO - Mislynch and Lose, a situation where the towns-people outnumber the mafia by 2. A mislynch gives the mafia a free kill which, when combined with the mafia night kill, allows the mafia to win. Barring irrefutable results, MYLO generally results in no lynch, which merely leads to LYLO.
NK - night kill, any kill performed at night, though usually refers to the mafia night kill.
PM - Private message. Players are only permitted to create or talk in Private Messages set up by the mod.
PR - Power Role, a role with some ability, either passive or active. Towns people without a power role are referred to as "Vanillas" while mafiosos without a power role are referred to as "Goons"
RVS - Random Voting Stage. When there is no information to go on, but you need to get the game moving, generally you'll pressure someone randomly.
Scum - Anyone that is not aligned with the town.
Scum-tell - some trait, or "tell" that indicates a person may be scum.
Softclaim - dropping hints, but not out-right claiming, to be a specific character or role.
SK - Serial Killer, a third party, night killing role.
WIFOM - Wine In Front Of Me. A subtle and complex type of psychology. Best explained here: http://mafiascum.net......

Rules:

1. The only PMs you are allowed to use to talk about this game with other players are the PMs that I have specifically created for that purpose. Violation results in death.
2. Day phases will last until a majority vote has been reached or 48 hours has passed, whichever comes first. If the time-limit is reached, I will rely on Plurality Voting: whichever player (or VTNL) has the most votes will be lynched. Ties result in a No Lynch.
3. Night phases will last until everyone submits their night action or 48 hours has passed, whichever comes first. If the time-limit is reached, your action is forfeit.
4. If you are not active for an entire phase, I will ping you to get you active. Exception: if you have no night actions to perform, you obviously won't be active during the night phase.
5. If you are not active for a Day-Night-Day cycle, or you fail to respond to two pings (see #4), you will be replaced.
6. You may not cut-and-paste from any game PM into the Day Phase thread. You must always paraphrase. Violation results in death.
7. All game related questions should be directed to me, via PM. You don't have to create a PM, you may use your Role PM or mafia PM.

Set-Up:

This round includes an Open Setup. This means that all the roles will be known publicly. This game involves the following roles:
Town - 1x Cop, 1x Doctor, 6x Vanilla
Mafia - 1x Role-Cop, 2x Goon

Cop - Learns players' alignments.
Doctor - Protects players from the night kill.
Vanilla - No abilities.
Role-Cop - Learns players' roles.
Goon - No abilities (may still perform the Mafia night kill).

Players List:

1. Westernmarch
2. RoyalPaladin
3. MouthWash
4. Jordan56
5. Apollo.11
6. Buddamoose
7. Airmax1227
8. DayTonaNerd
9. Contra
10. JohnnyBoy
11. IShallAnnoyYo

It takes 6 votes to lynch.
Apollo.11
Posts: 3,478
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2012 9:55:41 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/13/2012 9:54:35 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
Contra is a completely new player, so let's follow the n00b rule and get a claim from him.

VTL Contra for a role claim.

Role claims are useless. All scum would claim vanilla. It's mostly cop result and behavior analysis.
Sapere Aude!
Jordan56
Posts: 1,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2012 9:56:32 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
This first round is always useless. We have nothing to go off on. Im going to VTNL

I also think the cop should come out. The doctor can protect you and we would have some action to begin with.
johnnyboy54
Posts: 6,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2012 9:57:01 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Generally it is SOP to pressure the newest players first. They tend to make more mistakes as mafia and have a harder time fake claiming. However, it is also becoming common to pressure characters who are largely inactive.

Since Contra is the only player I have never seen before, he gets to claim first.

VTL Contra for a claim
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2012 9:57:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/13/2012 9:55:41 PM, Apollo.11 wrote:
At 8/13/2012 9:54:35 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
Contra is a completely new player, so let's follow the n00b rule and get a claim from him.

VTL Contra for a role claim.

Role claims are useless. All scum would claim vanilla. It's mostly cop result and behavior analysis.

That isn't necessarily true. Have you played on Epic Mafia?

I don't understand why you want to lynch Contra.
Apollo.11
Posts: 3,478
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2012 9:57:31 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/13/2012 9:56:19 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 8/13/2012 9:54:46 PM, Apollo.11 wrote:
VTL Contra for death.

Why kill Contra right off the bat?

I'm pullin' an FT. If you know what that means…
Sapere Aude!
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2012 9:58:31 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/13/2012 9:57:31 PM, Apollo.11 wrote:
At 8/13/2012 9:56:19 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 8/13/2012 9:54:46 PM, Apollo.11 wrote:
VTL Contra for death.

Why kill Contra right off the bat?

I'm pullin' an FT. If you know what that means…

I have no idea what that means. It's stupid to lynch on DP1.
johnnyboy54
Posts: 6,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2012 9:58:31 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/13/2012 9:56:32 PM, Jordan56 wrote:
This first round is always useless. We have nothing to go off on. Im going to VTNL

I also think the cop should come out. The doctor can protect you and we would have some action to begin with.

I only like to use follow the cop in an open set game. We do not know if mafia has a piercing kill or a watcher. Having the cop claim is not a good idea IMO.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2012 9:59:05 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/13/2012 9:58:31 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
At 8/13/2012 9:56:32 PM, Jordan56 wrote:
This first round is always useless. We have nothing to go off on. Im going to VTNL

I also think the cop should come out. The doctor can protect you and we would have some action to begin with.

I only like to use follow the cop in an open set game. We do not know if mafia has a piercing kill or a watcher. Having the cop claim is not a good idea IMO.

This is an Open Set game. We already know all of the roles.
Jordan56
Posts: 1,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2012 9:59:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/13/2012 9:57:01 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
Generally it is SOP to pressure the newest players first. They tend to make more mistakes as mafia and have a harder time fake claiming. However, it is also becoming common to pressure characters who are largely inactive.

Since Contra is the only player I have never seen before, he gets to claim first.

VTL Contra for a claim

You do realize that he would just claim vanilla. This day phase we should find out who the real cop is and then VTNL.
Apollo.11
Posts: 3,478
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2012 10:00:20 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/13/2012 9:58:31 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 8/13/2012 9:57:31 PM, Apollo.11 wrote:
At 8/13/2012 9:56:19 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 8/13/2012 9:54:46 PM, Apollo.11 wrote:
VTL Contra for death.

Why kill Contra right off the bat?

I'm pullin' an FT. If you know what that means…

I have no idea what that means. It's stupid to lynch on DP1.

Meh. I don't see why he does it.

Random FOS's and VTL's to see who defends the person. Doesn't work DP1
Sapere Aude!
johnnyboy54
Posts: 6,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2012 10:00:21 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Apollo, role claims are not useless, even if all the mafia just claim vanilla. If there is a suspicious amount of vanillas, it is likely that one of them is mafia.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
johnnyboy54
Posts: 6,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2012 10:01:05 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/13/2012 9:59:05 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 8/13/2012 9:58:31 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
At 8/13/2012 9:56:32 PM, Jordan56 wrote:
This first round is always useless. We have nothing to go off on. Im going to VTNL

I also think the cop should come out. The doctor can protect you and we would have some action to begin with.

I only like to use follow the cop in an open set game. We do not know if mafia has a piercing kill or a watcher. Having the cop claim is not a good idea IMO.

This is an Open Set game. We already know all of the roles.

That's what I get for not reading the OP :P
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2012 10:01:24 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Mestari is in the Mafia PM, so most likely he'll have the Mafia Goon counterclaim the cop.

@Cop: Do not investigate the person who counterclaims you. You will already know that he/she is Mafia, so pick other investigative targets.
Apollo.11
Posts: 3,478
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2012 10:01:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/13/2012 10:00:21 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
Apollo, role claims are not useless, even if all the mafia just claim vanilla. If there is a suspicious amount of vanillas, it is likely that one of them is mafia.

Mafia have an NK. Role claiming narrows down who the PR's are while giving town very little benefit.
Sapere Aude!
johnnyboy54
Posts: 6,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2012 10:02:16 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/13/2012 10:00:20 PM, Apollo.11 wrote:
At 8/13/2012 9:58:31 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 8/13/2012 9:57:31 PM, Apollo.11 wrote:
At 8/13/2012 9:56:19 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 8/13/2012 9:54:46 PM, Apollo.11 wrote:
VTL Contra for death.

Why kill Contra right off the bat?

I'm pullin' an FT. If you know what that means…

I have no idea what that means. It's stupid to lynch on DP1.

Meh. I don't see why he does it.

Random FOS's and VTL's to see who defends the person. Doesn't work DP1

It doesn't work because the reasoning used is faulty.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2012 10:04:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
That's true. Let's not have Contra claim.

The real cop should just out. The Mafia counterclaimer can out too, and then we'll VTNL.
johnnyboy54
Posts: 6,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2012 10:06:05 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/13/2012 10:04:33 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
That's true. Let's not have Contra claim.

The real cop should just out. The Mafia counterclaimer can out too, and then we'll VTNL.

Why wait?
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Buddamoose
Posts: 19,448
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2012 10:07:24 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I said it in the last beginner's game I played, I'll say it again.

Role claims DP1 are useless. Everyone will claim vanilla because:

1) Cop shouldnt out
2) Doc shouldnt out

We could however play follow the cop...
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Contra
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2012 10:07:45 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I claim vanilla.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
johnnyboy54
Posts: 6,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2012 10:08:24 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/13/2012 10:07:24 PM, Buddamoose wrote:
I said it in the last beginner's game I played, I'll say it again.

Role claims DP1 are useless. Everyone will claim vanilla because:

1) Cop shouldnt out
2) Doc shouldnt out

We could however play follow the cop...

The problem here is the RBer...
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Buddamoose
Posts: 19,448
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2012 10:09:19 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/13/2012 10:08:24 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
At 8/13/2012 10:07:24 PM, Buddamoose wrote:
I said it in the last beginner's game I played, I'll say it again.

Role claims DP1 are useless. Everyone will claim vanilla because:

1) Cop shouldnt out
2) Doc shouldnt out

We could however play follow the cop...

The problem here is the RBer...

No roleblocker, only role-cop
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion