Jump to topic:

Lateral Thinking Puzzle

drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 9:27:14 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I used to do these games on another site, and they were pretty popular and somewhat fun to do.

I'm sure most of you have heard of these kinds of puzzles, they start with some bizzare scenario like:

"A man is dead in a field, wearing a backpack. How did he die?"

The answer is: "He was parachuting and his parachute failed to open."

Now, the point isn't to guess the answer in one shot, but ask Yes/No questions to discover enough information to determine what the answer is. After all, given only the information in the initial scenario, there are a number of possible answers, but only one correct answer.

In the above example, you may ask about various ways of dying (Murder, Suicide, Dehydration, Blunt Force Trama), you may try and figure out what is in the back pack, yada yada.

The game doesn't have sign-ups and isn't restricted to any closed set of players. It is available to anyone who wishes to join in. Now, many of these are very popular (For example: albatross soup), so I'll try and modify the details to inhibit discovering the answer via Google Searching. I ask that, if you are going to participate, please do so in the spirit of the game and: A) don't try and Google Search the answer; and B) if you recognize the problem, please sit it out and let others try and figure it out.

On to the puzzle!

Scenario: A man lies on the ground, dead. He is next to a bike and many ball bearings. How did he die and why?

Notes: This puzzle requires a bit of detail. For example "He was shot" wouldn't be an acceptable answer, even if he was shot. You must determine the events of his death, to sufficient detail. I will reveal any part of the answer that is correct, so you don't have to get the whole answer before guessing.

GO!
caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 9:28:50 AM
I love these.

Plus it's another boring day at work.
There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. " Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, which presents the difficulties.
caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 9:29:39 AM
Did the bike or ball bearings directly cause his death?
There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. " Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, which presents the difficulties.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 9:29:49 AM
Oh, you don't have to bold or anything, though it'll help make sure any questions don't get missed. Questions must be of the Yes/No type, though they may not illicit Yes/No answers. For example, I'll note if the answer to the question would be irrelevant, to help keep things on track.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 9:30:26 AM
At 8/14/2012 9:28:50 AM, caveat wrote:
I love these.

Plus it's another boring day at work.

I figured. Anyone who used to be a member of TotalFark might remember these as well.
caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 9:32:52 AM
Is it a motorcycle or a bicycle?
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 9:33:23 AM
Also, where possible, I will simply give Yes/No/Irrelevant answers, without expounding. So beware of vaguely worded questions.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 9:34:18 AM
At 8/14/2012 9:32:52 AM, caveat wrote:
Is it a motorcycle or a bicycle?

While not a yes/no question, any binary question can be treated as such:
Is it a motorcycle? No.
Is it a bicycle? Yes.
caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 9:37:13 AM
Is the bicycle damaged or non-functioning in some way?
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 9:40:32 AM
At 8/14/2012 9:38:29 AM, Ren wrote:
Are the bike's wheels intact?

In the sense that they are damaged: they are damaged.
In the sense of together vs. broken apart: that is not particularly relevant.
caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 9:43:36 AM
Did the ball bearings come from the bicycle wheel hubs?
caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 9:44:50 AM
Did the ball bearings come from the bicycle at all?
caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 9:47:15 AM
Did the man die from a projectile?
caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 9:50:44 AM
Did the ball bearings come from a bomb?
Did the ball bearings come from another vehicle?
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 9:52:33 AM
At 8/14/2012 9:50:44 AM, caveat wrote:
Did the ball bearings come from a bomb?

No.

Did the ball bearings come from another vehicle?

No.
caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 9:54:38 AM
At 8/14/2012 9:53:02 AM, drafterman wrote:
At 8/14/2012 9:51:32 AM, medic0506 wrote:
Any notable injuries to the body??

Yes.

Teehee.

Did the man suffocate or bleed to death or die of head trauma or internal organ damage?
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 9:55:36 AM
At 8/14/2012 9:54:38 AM, caveat wrote:
At 8/14/2012 9:53:02 AM, drafterman wrote:
At 8/14/2012 9:51:32 AM, medic0506 wrote:
Any notable injuries to the body??

Yes.

Teehee.

Did the man suffocate or bleed to death or die of head trauma or internal organ damage?

Yes.