Jump to topic:

Lateral Thinking Puzzle 2

caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 2:02:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
After seeing drafter's original post, I thought of one I heard back in the 6th grade. I'm a bit fuzzy on a couple of details, but I've definitively settled on them for the purpose of this thread.

I'll be lazy and borrow from drafter's original explanation of this genre of problem as he did an excellent job of introducing it.

At 8/14/2012 9:27:14 AM, drafterman wrote:
I'm sure most of you have heard of these kinds of puzzles, they start with some bizzare scenario like:

"A man is dead in a field, wearing a backpack. How did he die?"

The answer is: "He was parachuting and his parachute failed to open."

Now, the point isn't to guess the answer in one shot, but ask Yes/No questions to discover enough information to determine what the answer is. After all, given only the information in the initial scenario, there are a number of possible answers, but only one correct answer.

In the above example, you may ask about various ways of dying (Murder, Suicide, Dehydration, Blunt Force Trama), you may try and figure out what is in the back pack, yada yada.

The game doesn't have sign-ups and isn't restricted to any closed set of players. It is available to anyone who wishes to join in. Now, many of these are very popular (For example: albatross soup), so I'll try and modify the details to inhibit discovering the answer via Google Searching. I ask that, if you are going to participate, please do so in the spirit of the game and: A) don't try and Google Search the answer; and B) if you recognize the problem, please sit it out and let others try and figure it out.

On to the Puzzle!

Scenario: A man sitting at a table with three chairs around it shoots himself in the head. There are two hooks mounted onto one of the walls of the room. Why did he commit suicide?

Notes: The direct cause of the man's death is obvious. You must determine the precursor to his suicide to sufficient detail. I will reveal any part of the answer that is correct, so you don't have to get the whole answer before guessing.

GO!
There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. " Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, which presents the difficulties.
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 2:03:10 PM
At 8/14/2012 2:02:40 PM, caveat wrote:
After seeing drafter's original post, I thought of one I heard back in the 6th grade. I'm a bit fuzzy on a couple of details, but I've definitively settled on them for the purpose of this thread.

I'll be lazy and borrow from drafter's original explanation of this genre of problem as he did an excellent job of introducing it.

At 8/14/2012 9:27:14 AM, drafterman wrote:
I'm sure most of you have heard of these kinds of puzzles, they start with some bizzare scenario like:

"A man is dead in a field, wearing a backpack. How did he die?"

The answer is: "He was parachuting and his parachute failed to open."

Now, the point isn't to guess the answer in one shot, but ask Yes/No questions to discover enough information to determine what the answer is. After all, given only the information in the initial scenario, there are a number of possible answers, but only one correct answer.

In the above example, you may ask about various ways of dying (Murder, Suicide, Dehydration, Blunt Force Trama), you may try and figure out what is in the back pack, yada yada.

The game doesn't have sign-ups and isn't restricted to any closed set of players. It is available to anyone who wishes to join in. Now, many of these are very popular (For example: albatross soup), so I'll try and modify the details to inhibit discovering the answer via Google Searching. I ask that, if you are going to participate, please do so in the spirit of the game and: A) don't try and Google Search the answer; and B) if you recognize the problem, please sit it out and let others try and figure it out.

On to the Puzzle!

Scenario: A man sitting at a table with three chairs around it shoots himself in the head. There are two hooks mounted onto one of the walls of the room. Why did he commit suicide?

Notes: The direct cause of the man's death is obvious. You must determine the precursor to his suicide to sufficient detail. I will reveal any part of the answer that is correct, so you don't have to get the whole answer before guessing.

GO!
I JUST POSTED A NEW THREAD.
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 2:05:31 PM
Are there people hanging off the hooks?

caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 2:10:17 PM
At 8/14/2012 2:05:31 PM, M.Torres wrote:
Are there people hanging off the hooks?

No.
There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. " Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, which presents the difficulties.
caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 2:10:27 PM
At 8/14/2012 2:06:30 PM, THEBOMB wrote:
Does the man have any mental disabilities or diseases?

No.
caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 2:11:24 PM
Aside: Thanks M.Torres for letting me go first! I'm still amazed that we posted on literally the exact same second... I was editing mine for like 20 minutes before that.
caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 2:12:43 PM
At 8/14/2012 2:12:00 PM, THEBOMB wrote:
Is there anything hanging off the hooks?

No.
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 2:12:54 PM
At 8/14/2012 2:11:24 PM, caveat wrote:
Aside: Thanks M.Torres for letting me go first! I'm still amazed that we posted on literally the exact same second... I was editing mine for like 20 minutes before that.

It's fine. It appears that Lord Knuckle has spoiled my puzzle anyway.

M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 2:13:19 PM
At 8/14/2012 2:12:43 PM, caveat wrote:

No.

But the hooks are important?

Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 2:13:57 PM
"A man sitting at a table with three chairs around and shoots himself in the head. There are two hooks mounted onto one of the walls of the room. Why did he commit suicide?"

Is this the correct grammar?

Question: Did anybody else frequent the room prior to or during the suicide?
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 2:14:34 PM
At 8/14/2012 2:12:54 PM, M.Torres wrote:

Sorry but it was too obvious :)
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 2:15:15 PM
At 8/14/2012 2:14:34 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

I don't believe you anyway, but you could have at least 1) waited for the puzzle to start and 2) at least done a line of questioning.

caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 2:16:07 PM
At 8/14/2012 2:13:19 PM, M.Torres wrote:
At 8/14/2012 2:12:43 PM, caveat wrote:

No.

But the hooks are important?

Please rephrase.

At 8/14/2012 2:13:21 PM, THEBOMB wrote:
Was there anyone in the room with the man before he killed himself?

Yes.

At 8/14/2012 2:13:57 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
"A man is sitting at a table with three chairs around and shoots himself in the head. There are two hooks mounted onto one of the walls of the room. Why did he commit suicide?"

Is this the correct grammar?

It should be correct without the "and".

Question: Did anybody else frequent the room prior to or during the suicide?

Yes.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 2:18:41 PM
Inb4 S&M.

Were the hooks placed by another individual or the man himself?
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 2:19:11 PM
At 8/14/2012 2:15:15 PM, M.Torres wrote:
At 8/14/2012 2:14:34 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

I don't believe you anyway, but you could have at least 1) waited for the puzzle to start and 2) at least done a line of questioning.

You don't believe me that it was easy- cause it was?
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 2:19:34 PM
Is the man Chinese?

caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 2:19:37 PM
At 8/14/2012 2:14:30 PM, Viper-King wrote:
Was there a person who forced him physically to shoot himself?

No.

At 8/14/2012 2:17:11 PM, THEBOMB wrote:
Are these other people (who visited the room) important?

I shan't answer any "meta-questions", if you will. Only yes/no questions pertaining to the puzzle world, and not the puzzle itself (unless necessary), will be answered.

At 8/14/2012 2:17:43 PM, THEBOMB wrote:
And, did these other people in any way shape or form influence the man's decision to kill himself?

Yes.

At 8/14/2012 2:18:41 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Inb4 S&M.

Were the hooks placed by another individual or the man himself?

Irrelevant.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 2:21:10 PM
Were the hooks the things that killed the man? Are they covered in blood?
caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 2:21:11 PM
At 8/14/2012 2:19:27 PM, THEBOMB wrote:
At 8/14/2012 2:18:41 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Inb4 S&M.

Good point. Was the man into S&M? xD

Yes, in fact he regularly visited a mistress on 4th avenue named Pegasus. However, this is irrelevant to the puzzle.

At 8/14/2012 2:19:34 PM, M.Torres wrote:
Is the man Chinese?

1/64th. But also irrelevant.
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 2:21:58 PM
Did the man read anything in this room prior to his death?

caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 2:22:39 PM
At 8/14/2012 2:20:14 PM, Viper-King wrote:
Was the man suffering from any medical condition?

No.

At 8/14/2012 2:20:29 PM, THEBOMB wrote:
Were these other people family members to the man?

No.

Were they important to him?

Rephrase please.

At 8/14/2012 2:21:10 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Were the hooks the things that killed the man?

No. (Read the puzzle to see how he died :P)

Are they covered in blood?

No.