Jump to topic:

First Chess.com Game: Request for Help

royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2012 4:09:34 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I decided to pick up chess again (it's been a few years). I am currently in two correspondence games and have finished one live game. If somebody has the time, could you take a look and see what I could have done differently? I ended up winning, but I made a huge blunder that would have ended in checkmate if my opponent had been smart enough to see it.

I was White.

1.e4 e5
2.Nf3 Nc6
3.Bb5 Nf6
4.Bxc6 dxc6
5.O-O Nxe4
6.Re1 f5
7.d3 Nxf2
8.Kxf2 Bc5+
9.d4 Bb4
10.c3 e4
11.cxb4 O-O
12.Ng5 Re8
13.Qb3+ Be6
14.Nxe6 Qh4+
15.Kg1(BLUNDER) Rac8
16.g3 Qg4
17.Nxc7+ Kh8
18.Nxe8 Rxe8
19.Nc3 e3
20.Bxe3 Qf3
21.Qf7 Rg8
22.Bf2 f4
23.Re8 RESIGN
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2012 5:20:01 PM
Okay, mostly it's your opponent making lots of errors (and big ones for a half an hour game...) but here's some advice:

4. Bxc6

I'm not sure if anything is inherently wrong with this move, but it's certainly not a main line of the Berlin Defence. Not that there's a problem with sidelines (I played 1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. b3 in a crucial match recently) , but Bxc6 seems out of place. At worst though, it's quite a minor error.

13. Qb3+

Nothing wrong or too bad about this move, but I prefer Nc3 simply developing. I get that you want to trade off the bishop on c8 in case of f4 and an opening up of the position ... but that's not a threat. If anything, black must be careful of moves like Qh5 here, so you also lose your attack by trading. Of course, that's not really a key point when you can just trade down...

15. Kg1

As you said, massive blunder leading to mate. Basically, Kf1 and you're going to win very quickly regardless of Qxh2 - it's not a serious attack for black. You've still got all the knight discoveries and forks etc.

I won't bother critiquing the rest of the game - it's fine enough. Really, your moves are perfectly fine and mostly dictated by your opponent's poor play. A high level critique can be had if there's something to actually analyse; not throwing away pieces as your opponent did.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2012 10:26:04 AM
At 8/18/2012 5:20:01 PM, Logic_on_rails wrote:
Okay, mostly it's your opponent making lots of errors (and big ones for a half an hour game...) but here's some advice:

4. Bxc6

I'm not sure if anything is inherently wrong with this move, but it's certainly not a main line of the Berlin Defence. Not that there's a problem with sidelines (I played 1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. b3 in a crucial match recently) , but Bxc6 seems out of place. At worst though, it's quite a minor error.

I actually figured out an opening trap that wins me either a queen or a rook for a knight if someone falls for it with this line. My opponent didn't, but it ended up costing him other pieces.
13. Qb3+

Nothing wrong or too bad about this move, but I prefer Nc3 simply developing. I get that you want to trade off the bishop on c8 in case of f4 and an opening up of the position ... but that's not a threat. If anything, black must be careful of moves like Qh5 here, so you also lose your attack by trading. Of course, that's not really a key point when you can just trade down...

15. Kg1

As you said, massive blunder leading to mate. Basically, Kf1 and you're going to win very quickly regardless of Qxh2 - it's not a serious attack for black. You've still got all the knight discoveries and forks etc.

I won't bother critiquing the rest of the game - it's fine enough. Really, your moves are perfectly fine and mostly dictated by your opponent's poor play. A high level critique can be had if there's something to actually analyse; not throwing away pieces as your opponent did.

Thanks.
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2012 4:10:53 PM
I suppose I ought to note that my chess.com name is 'Harlanikin' . A good friend of mine (who's on DDO) is called Famer. I think Micro and Headphone both have 1600-ish (Headphone deserves 1700 though) chess.com ratings.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2012 4:33:48 PM
At 8/19/2012 4:10:53 PM, Logic_on_rails wrote:
I suppose I ought to note that my chess.com name is 'Harlanikin' . A good friend of mine (who's on DDO) is called Famer. I think Micro and Headphone both have 1600-ish (Headphone deserves 1700 though) chess.com ratings.

I'll add you both too.
Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2012 4:40:03 PM
link me to the game and I'll analyze in the comments. Username david1995
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2012 5:03:42 PM
Didn't really look that intensely into the game, but there is an interesting point that I believe will help you moving forward (outside of the obvious blunders that is).

Immediately after castling, you vie for the his Knight with Re1. At face value, it seems to develop a major piece and establish pressure on the e file all while attacking two undefended pieces. Unfortunately, your castle position is left in tatters as the F pawn now only has your king to defend it. This ultimately led to an exposed kingside after Nxf2 and could have led to a trade where you lose your d pawn. If we look at the move immediately after Re1, we see you kick the Knight with your d pawn anyway! Re1 ended up being a loss of tempo and position as the Knight would be forced to move if you had played d3 instead of Re1, but this time, without forcing your King into the open.

In short, despite how many times I'm sure you've been told, being able to look ahead is the most important ability to have. In terms of tactical specifics, kicking/attacking a piece with your own piece of greater value is generally less desirable than with that of lesser value, other factors notwithstanding. The risk/reward factor of Re1 was not there when there were several other options for development that would have served the same purpose, especially because the Knight was undefended to begin with.
There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. " Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, which presents the difficulties.
famer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 5:08:41 AM

What type of chess.com ratings are we talking about here? I mean, I've got a 1948 correspondence rating, but somewhere as low as 1608 for blitz.

And I'm up to challenge anyone in a game of correspondence game :) I'd prefer 7days/move if you have a rating 1500+ (I can't spend that much time on chess.com).

Chess.com username "famer". Profile picture is of a black queen.
abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 9:19:18 AM
At 8/20/2012 5:08:41 AM, famer wrote:

What type of chess.com ratings are we talking about here? I mean, I've got a 1948 correspondence rating, but somewhere as low as 1608 for blitz.

And I'm up to challenge anyone in a game of correspondence game :) I'd prefer 7days/move if you have a rating 1500+ (I can't spend that much time on chess.com).

That's nothing. My tactics rating hovers around 1000 less than my correspondence rating. I'm garbage under pressure.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 9:39:17 AM
At 8/20/2012 9:19:18 AM, Maikuru wrote:
At 8/20/2012 5:08:41 AM, famer wrote:

That's nothing. My tactics rating hovers around 1000 less than my correspondence rating. I'm garbage under pressure.

Aha I'm the complete opposite. I get bored over correspondence games and will almost forget the game-state if the time between moves is too long.
There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. " Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, which presents the difficulties.
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 4:15:22 PM

Yes, but you're a demon in correspondence!

I'm a pretty decent blitz or bullet player when I'm playing regularly - 1800 or so, although I haven't played regularly. As to correspondence, I hate not playing the game in one sitting, so I'm perhaps a little underated.

Let's try and get a few matches going between DDO chess players.
famer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 6:33:35 PM
At 8/20/2012 4:15:22 PM, Logic_on_rails wrote:

I'm a pretty decent blitz or bullet player when I'm playing regularly - 1800 or so, although I haven't played regularly. As to correspondence, I hate not playing the game in one sitting, so I'm perhaps a little underated.

As a premium member of chess.com, I can host a tournametn for all DDO members to participate if you guys are interested.
abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 6:34:38 PM
At 8/20/2012 6:33:35 PM, famer wrote:

As a premium member of chess.com, I can host a tournametn for all DDO members to participate if you guys are interested.

Sounds fun, but do I have to be a premium member to participate?
famer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 6:40:15 PM
At 8/20/2012 6:34:38 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 8/20/2012 6:33:35 PM, famer wrote:

Sounds fun, but do I have to be a premium member to participate?

No. It's just that as a premium member, I'm allowed to create tournamet with a larger number of members. Just add me on chess.com and I'll create the tournament later. (I'm at school right now)
ishallannoyyo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2012 1:07:59 PM
I'd like to join this tourney.

Chess.com ratings are a bit off in comparison to ratings at my local chess club. For example, my rating is pretty low. Online, 1560; Live Blitz; 1360. Chess club rating: in the 700s (though I think it should be higher as I beat people rated a lot higher than me). My friend Online, 1500s; Live; 1500s. Chess club rating: 700s. My other friend, Online, 1200s, Live; 1200s, Chess club rating 1500s. WHAT???
caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2012 1:18:23 PM
At 8/21/2012 1:07:59 PM, ishallannoyyo wrote:
I'd like to join this tourney.

Chess.com ratings are a bit off in comparison to ratings at my local chess club. For example, my rating is pretty low. Online, 1560; Live Blitz; 1360. Chess club rating: in the 700s (though I think it should be higher as I beat people rated a lot higher than me). My friend Online, 1500s; Live; 1500s. Chess club rating: 700s. My other friend, Online, 1200s, Live; 1200s, Chess club rating 1500s. WHAT???

That's weird. Chess.com ratings have always been inflated rather than deflated in relation to actual FIDE ratings. Otherwise I'd have beaten several GMs back when I played there! :D
famer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2012 6:29:45 PM
For all of those players interested with participating in this tourney, please send me a friend's requestion and give me the link to your profile. I'll make sure only people from DDO can participate in this tournament (invite-only)

Just wondering, would you guys want it to be a thematic tournament? Or just a normal tournament?
famer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2012 6:39:21 PM
At 8/21/2012 6:29:45 PM, famer wrote:
For all of those players interested with participating in this tourney, please send me a friend's request****** and give me the link to your profile. I'll make sure only people from DDO can participate in this tournament (invite-only)

Just wondering, would you guys want it to be a thematic tournament? Or just a normal tournament?

Typo....
famer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 6:04:20 AM
Here is the tournament:

http://www.chess.com...

*Note* It is an invite-only tournament. Please add me to your friends list and make sure I know you're from DDO. Then I'll invite you to the tournament. Best of luck! :)

Famer

Also, please tell every other chess playing debaters to come along :)
ishallannoyyo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2012 1:08:22 PM
Can someone analyse this game please? I was white, don't judge me too hard please, my rating is 774 and his rating was 1774. Can you guys analyze my mistakes and tell me at approximately what rating you would put me at? Thanks!

1. d4 Nf6
2. c4 c5
3. Nf3 cxd4
4. Nxc6 bxc6
5. Bg5 Qb5+
6. Qd2 Qxd2
7. Nxd2 h6
8. Bxh6 gxf6
9. e4 Bg7
10.Be2 a5
11.0-0 Rb8
12. Rah1 d6