Jump to topic:

Why is Mafia So Slow?

royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 8:11:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
It looks like a lot of people are losing interest in the game . . . signups used to be full within hours of being posted (at one point I would have to stay up late just to get a spot in a game), but now they are being left empty for days or even a week or so. Why is it slowing down? Is everyone just getting busy with school?
caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 8:13:28 PM
I think the number of active members declined recently for some reason.
There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. " Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, which presents the difficulties.
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 8:14:11 PM
At 8/20/2012 8:13:28 PM, caveat wrote:

And TUF is going away soon also.

We need some new blood.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 8:14:59 PM

Yeah, but most of the active members of the Mafia community have not left . . .

Like, Danielle is only sporadically active. I guess Bluesteel is leaving. TV never really was active, and neither was Partam.

We need to recruit more players.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 8:15:25 PM
At 8/20/2012 8:14:11 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:

What? Why? He's the most active player!
Jordan56
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 8:21:32 PM
I think because of the summer most people went off with their normal lives. For instant I was inactive most of the summer but now I'm online more now that I started school cause I have nothing better to do. I think the activity will rise once people get started with school and the fall season hits.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 8:23:37 PM
Mafia games have been slower than they used to be. I've noticed that in general activity has peaks and lows.

As far as I remember from when I joined, there were very few active players at that time. However, BlackVoid, Drafterman, Partam, Raisor, Spritle, and a few others started out playing at that time. That was an acitivity peak. The last three mentioned left the game and possibly the site. This was the beginner's 1.X and 2.X series.

Beginner's 3.X brought LordKnukle and Viper-King into the game.

Beginner's 4.X came along with more acitve players - Royal, Caveat, TheTruthAnalyst and others. Obviously Truth left.

More beginner games started up. HCP, Vmpire, Xerge, MasterKage, USM joined the game. Needless to say, some stayed and some left.

The next series I believe were Zaradi, Airmax, and a few others who left.

Then Budda, FourTrouble, Johnnyboy, IFLY, Apollo, and Bossy joined. Most of them are still here. Let's hope it lasts.

Anyways, I highly recommend the mods for the beginner games recruit more people to sign up. We need a new burst of active players.
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 8:29:59 PM
At 8/20/2012 8:15:25 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 8/20/2012 8:14:11 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:

What? Why? He's the most active player!

He's going to Basic training for the army for 5-6 months. Its a shame because I enjoy his games.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 8:36:44 PM
Then Budda, FourTrouble, Johnnyboy, IFLY, Apollo, and Bossy joined. :Most of them are still here. Let's hope it lasts.

Sorry :(
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 8:58:34 PM
Well, I know for a fact that there will be a new player for my next game (he/she will be returning to DDO for it :) ). I'm not saying who, however. Hopefully he or she falls in love with the game.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 9:01:32 PM
At 8/20/2012 8:58:34 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
Well, I know for a fact that there will be a new player for my next game (he/she will be returning to DDO for it :) ). I'm not saying who, however. Hopefully he or she falls in love with the game.

Danielle, TV, Ore_Ele?
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 9:10:58 PM
At 8/20/2012 9:01:32 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 8/20/2012 8:58:34 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

Danielle, TV, Ore_Ele?

None of them. I'm not telling :p
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2012 1:26:47 AM
I don't think that Mafia has become 'slow' , merely it's returning to an average speed, which is slower than most people here have recognised.

If you look at the mod list there's a spate of the most competent players on the website all next to each other. Combined with my pioneering of invites and those games are getting filled very quickly and have a high quality game. After a few weeks where players have been playing in 2 or 3 intense games all at once they lose interest and 'relax' a little. I know that I'm doing that right now - there's a theme I'd love (Avatar) and a great player (FT) raring to go ... but there aren't brilliant players about and I'd like to take a break.

Admittedly, if my game doesn't get started within 2 weeks it'll be more like 5 weeks before it can begin ... so maybe I ought to help out.

I do agree though that for various reasons the current group of games is moving horrendously slowly.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2012 1:50:59 AM
I think the newer players are really up to par with the older ones though. I'd consider even some of the newer players "brilliant" or more of a threat than the older ones.

For instance, I'd easily find FT, Drafterman, and BlackVoid more threatening players than TV, Ore_Ele, or Danielle.

It all depends on activity levels. Inactives aren't threats no matter how experienced.
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2012 1:59:20 AM
At 8/21/2012 1:50:59 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
I think the newer players are really up to par with the older ones though. I'd consider even some of the newer players "brilliant" or more of a threat than the older ones.

For instance, I'd easily find FT, Drafterman, and BlackVoid more threatening players than TV, Ore_Ele, or Danielle.

It all depends on activity levels. Inactives aren't threats no matter how experienced.

A few comments. Firstly, older players tend to be less active. You've probably never seen older players play like a demon; instead they're inactive husks of their former selves. Secondly, a player's style and effectiveness is partially dependent upon the Mafia game's style in question, and games now have a different feel to say, a year ago.

I think the biggest threat with 'new' players is that you don't have a read on them at all. They can shock you. Once you've won a few games people view you warily, outlandish tricks don't work, people suspect your every word, develop a policy of never trusting you no matter what (I know Medic has often doubted my explanations partially because I said it and not somebody else) etc. There's an inherent advantage to being new in this sense, and that's why new players can be so dangerous.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2012 2:41:10 AM
Logic, persuasive players are looked at more warily. For instance I am quick to suspect Lickdafoot, or Mestari (I used to be wary of Bluesteel too when I was relatively inexperienced) but it takes some evidence before I suspect, say spinko or LordKnukle because I know I can catch them when they are scum so it is a feeling of comfort that the other player isn't very likely to decieve you or escape a lynch once you caught onto them. In that vein, I can understand why Medic is generally suspicious of you - you have the capability to decieve him or if he catches you - the capability to escape a lynch despite his best efforts. As you become a better townie, I guess you become confident enough that you don't view anybody as a threat.

In my previous post, I was talking mostly about threats as town when you are mafia. Active players can keep track of the game better and make reasoned arguments. Inactives are much more likely to turn themselves into mislynch targets even if they are experienced. I have seen this with Medic recently. He used to be very active but now lurks a lot regardless of affiliation.

I agree that the style of games have changed too. Mislynch targets are becoming more common as is giving mafia townie roles to confirm themselves.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2012 5:20:26 PM
Jordan's game took 5 days 18 hours to fill 13 spots.

FT's took 6 days 20 hours to fill 13 out of 18 spots.

Daytona's took 7 days 20 hours to fill 10 out of 16 spots.

This is so much slower compared to some games which filled up in less than a day. I believe TV once filled 17 spots in just 4 hours.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2012 5:28:52 PM
At 8/21/2012 1:59:20 AM, Logic_on_rails wrote:
At 8/21/2012 1:50:59 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

A few comments. Firstly, older players tend to be less active. You've probably never seen older players play like a demon; instead they're inactive husks of their former selves. Secondly, a player's style and effectiveness is partially dependent upon the Mafia game's style in question, and games now have a different feel to say, a year ago.

I think the biggest threat with 'new' players is that you don't have a read on them at all. They can shock you. Once you've won a few games people view you warily, outlandish tricks don't work, people suspect your every word, develop a policy of never trusting you no matter what (I know Medic has often doubted my explanations partially because I said it and not somebody else) etc. There's an inherent advantage to being new in this sense, and that's why new players can be so dangerous.

You're right, once I see a player as dangerous I have a natural suspicion of them, and it doesn't go away.

Your ability to come up with good claims and direct the town, your power of persuasion, the way you can get people to trust you, the fact that I can't pick up any tells that you may have, etc., makes you dangerous in my veiw.

I've said this before to you, and I know you don't see it this way, but it really is a compliment and a sign of my respect for your abilities. You're one of the best players on the site. I can definately understand how you can see it as obnoxious though, and for that I apologize.
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2012 5:40:15 PM
Medic, I take it as a compliment and am happy to hear it. At the same time, it's frustrating while playing - you have to work harder as Mafia, and people such as yourself as warier than before. Don't worry about it - I find it difficult at times to read you for instance, partially due to not actually playing in too many games with you when you survive so long... that tends to mean you are Mafia.

Back to the original topic, I was going to sign up for Jordan's game, but I'm on a hiatus. This slow pace is irritating though - I have to start my game in a week or a month, and it's going to be a month...
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2012 7:19:55 PM
At 8/24/2012 5:40:15 PM, Logic_on_rails wrote:
Medic, I take it as a compliment and am happy to hear it. At the same time, it's frustrating while playing - you have to work harder as Mafia, and people such as yourself as warier than before. Don't worry about it - I find it difficult at times to read you for instance, partially due to not actually playing in too many games with you when you survive so long... that tends to mean you are Mafia.

Back to the original topic, I was going to sign up for Jordan's game, but I'm on a hiatus. This slow pace is irritating though - I have to start my game in a week or a month, and it's going to be a month...

Why the self-imposed hiatus? All you have to do is just sign up.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2012 8:25:02 PM
Clearly, mafia slowed down once I basically left the scene. *ego ego*

But seriously, I haven't been as active as I was, and I really need to be. It's just that I get so f-ing lost in mafia games nowadays...
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2012 11:11:11 PM
I guess I am one of the people contributing to this. Although, if any of my classes are boring enough, I might just log on during class time to check in :)