Jump to topic:

Blitz Chess

royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 1:36:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
WAY too fast . . . LOL, I keep making a ton of blunders. The other thing is that I always spend too much time thinking and end up a minute or so behind my opponent, and then I feel pressure and don't think quickly. One of my games, I was winning, and my opponent even tried to make me run out of time.
caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 1:40:54 PM
At 8/22/2012 1:36:57 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
WAY too fast . . . LOL, I keep making a ton of blunders. The other thing is that I always spend too much time thinking and end up a minute or so behind my opponent, and then I feel pressure and don't think quickly. One of my games, I was winning, and my opponent even tried to make me run out of time.

Love it. :)

Bullet is even more fun!
There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. " Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, which presents the difficulties.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 1:43:00 PM
At 8/22/2012 1:40:54 PM, caveat wrote:

Bullet is even more fun!

What's bullet chess?
caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 1:44:52 PM
At 8/22/2012 1:43:00 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

Bullet is even more fun!

What's bullet chess?

Depends where you play.

Generally something like 1 to 3 minutes per side. The time control can be 2 minutes with a 1 second add or 1 minute with a 2 second add. Or no add at all.
There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. " Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, which presents the difficulties.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 1:45:39 PM
At 8/22/2012 1:44:52 PM, caveat wrote:

Bullet is even more fun!

What's bullet chess?

Depends where you play.

Generally something like 1 to 3 minutes per side. The time control can be 2 minutes with a 1 second add or 1 minute with a 2 second add. Or no add at all.

That's horrifying O.o
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 1:47:34 PM

I agree. I can't do it. My rating is 450 I think xP, but I'm between 1300 and 1400 for standard chess. My problem is that I can only read a few moves ahead per minute staring at the chessboard.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 1:50:24 PM
At 8/22/2012 1:45:39 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 8/22/2012 1:44:52 PM, caveat wrote:

Bullet is even more fun!

What's bullet chess?

Depends where you play.

That's horrifying O.o

I remember my first games with Lightning Chess. I must have opened myself to traps and mates at least five times a game LOL. Correspondence is good and all, but lowering the allotted time really improved my overall ability to analyze states and choose the most favourable route. Being forced to play Lightning variants by my friends significantly spiked my level of play. Your mileage may vary though :P
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 4:19:25 PM
Blitz and bullet are lots of fun and train you to see tactics. However... you must be in the right state of mind.

I got to about 1800 in blitz and bullet, yet a few months break from it (longer matches) and I'm struggling to keep my rating at 1700.

Caveat, what's your blitz or bullet rating?
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 4:29:23 PM
At 8/22/2012 4:19:25 PM, Logic_on_rails wrote:
Blitz and bullet are lots of fun and train you to see tactics. However... you must be in the right state of mind.

I got to about 1800 in blitz and bullet, yet a few months break from it (longer matches) and I'm struggling to keep my rating at 1700.

Caveat, what's your blitz or bullet rating?

I think they both hovered around 1800 as well. My strong suit was in Standard 15 or 30s. I think I might start playing on chess.com again if I find the time this term, though I'll have to make a new account .__.