Jump to topic:

People who don't read

F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2012 12:16:47 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
So, I have been playing mafia on mafiascum and one of my pet peeves have been people that don't read the day phase and generalize stuff that was already explained in great detail.

Why do many people have a tendency to not read the day phase. If they do not want to read, why do they sign up for games knowing that they will have a lot of reading to do?

I think it is a universal problem when people skim the thread and make wrong decisions, don't pressure mafiosos etc. It is probably the leading factor in town losses.
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2012 12:56:58 AM
Those in glass houses
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2012 2:18:10 AM
Normally I temper my zeal, but this is an issue that infuriates me. It's not just a matter of being irritating to the Mafia community or being useless, it's a matter of honour, plain and simple. If you sign up you agree to devote time to a game. I have never been replaced due to inactivity, and in the worst instance I have told a moderator at least half a week (if not 1 or 2 weeks) in advance of my need to be replaced. If I am to be away from a computer for 48 hours I will post in the DP notifying people of my inactivity, and letting the moderator know the circumstances of any potentially debilitating inactivity. I also try and stay away from signing up from any games that I can't commit to playing for the entire time - that's one reason I haven't signed up for the Legend of Korra.

I will as Mafia perhaps attempt to claim I've been inactive and generalise for pro-Mafia reasons, but I just can't understand people who are inactive in low post games. Maybe in one of Medic's 700 post DP games I will skim, but otherwise never.

It's a matter of honour, a matter of commitment. People lack that honour, and it's a problem. I know that the recent debacle of FT's game has me making mental notes about people who will full stop not be allowed entry into any future game of mine.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
maxx233
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2012 7:25:07 AM
I can, to some extent, understand why people don't read a DP in great detail sometimes. We all have lives, and some of the DPs can get extremely long. That, in and of itself, is not the problem though I don't believe. Many people seem to carry personal vendettas against others, and when it leaks into a game it results in a flame war that spans the remainder of the DP and produces pretty much nothing of value for analysis. Additionally, anyone else's posts that were of substance get lost in this bickering - so it creates a dual problem: Why read these DPs, and why post in these DPs?

As far as that goes, I think people need to self regulate themselves more. If you notice that you've been arguing pretty much exclusively with a single person for two pages then just let it go - there's more dignity in remaining focused and sparing people than there is in "proving" every minute detail of your case or disproving every minute detail the other person claims. Let them know it needs a rest unless others demand more explanation, and then ignore whatever stupid drivel they spout at you after that, you don't need to defend it because chances are no one else is listening to them either. If someone else does happen to repeat a need for you to respond to some piece of the argument then go ahead and do so, but address that person, not your flame-buddy

I personally think there's cause for mods to step in and stop this sort of behavior if people can't self regulate (as I think it's obvious certain people cannot.) They could call a time out for both parties, restricting them from addressing each other through the lesser of 24 hours or the remainder of the DP, for instance.

Aside from that, as logic points out, there's an honour that's lost if you bug out on a game, I don't care how much crap there is to read through. You don't *have* to read through all of it as most is probably useless flame war anyway. But you should at least click through and skim, and fully read the last 2-3 pages that have been posted, AND THEN RESPOND in some sort of fashion so that you're actually participating in the game. As I see it, when you sign up for a game you're agreeing to see it through. Saying there's too much to read in a forum based mafia game is lame - that's like dropping out of school because you didn't realize you'd have to think.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2012 3:25:05 PM
At 9/17/2012 12:16:47 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
So, I have been playing mafia on mafiascum and one of my pet peeves have been people that don't read the day phase and generalize stuff that was already explained in great detail.

Why do many people have a tendency to not read the day phase. If they do not want to read, why do they sign up for games knowing that they will have a lot of reading to do?

I think it is a universal problem when people skim the thread and make wrong decisions, don't pressure mafiosos etc. It is probably the leading factor in town losses.

Quit being lazy and produce an audio version of the day phases. :)