Jump to topic:

Noob QuickFire?

maxx233
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2012 3:03:52 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
So daytona's quickfire thread got me thinking, and I figured it's a topic best for a new thread. Yoda, a mafia noob, has been lurking about waiting for a chance to play. A beginner game hasn't been readily available. Not that many beginners seem to, in practice, actually end up playing in beginner series games. It was somewhat by chance that I myself got in on 11.2, I thought I'd have to wait weeks - which had that been the case I wouldn't be here. But we're trying to get more people introduced to mafia. Why not try to put together a noob quickfire game - particularly while the beginner series is already running.

I've personally not had the chance to play a QF because I keep missing them, but it seems the advantage in this is that there's less time/effort investment (not necessarily that it's any easier.) I assume this is why we don't want noobs playing in regular games - it would suck to have the game fall apart in DP3 because a noob makes a noob mistake. So for the purpose of education, why not do some outreach, gather up some interested noobs, put together a simple classic game to run the next day and run through it with them so they get the general idea at least and feel interested and able to pursue it further. If people drop out or don't show up for the game then I don't think it would be too terribly hard to fill their slot with an experienced player - which could be something like mentoring in a way so long as everyone plays nice with the noobs and doesn't scare them off right away by being a big meanie head ;P

Has this been tried, or even considered before? Even if it has, it seems DDO Mafia is not in the same condition it has been in the past, yet I can tell you as a newer player that it's not the easiest thing to get in on. If we do indeed want to get fresh blood in then I'm pretty sure we need to try some new tactics
maxx233
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2012 6:50:03 AM
yoda and Obi_wan both recently wanted to play as I recall. Pretty sure I had tried PMing one or both of them a couple days ago though and wasn't able to - anyone friends with them already and want to ask in case they don't see this?
maxx233
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2012 10:18:45 AM
Well, if royal hosts I'd be game for playing if we can't otherwise fill slots - I'm a noob to quickfire if nothing else :) And if we do end up with plenty of players I'd love to coach someone instead of play!

How do we normally go about evangelizing new players? Do we normally just invite friends who we haven't seen play or is it acceptable to post an invite on another forum such as the general DDO one?