Total Posts:5|Showing Posts:1-5
Jump to topic:

Strongest Chess openings

Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 6:02:36 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I understand that games forums will drown this thread before it gets anywhere, but while its alive, I wish to know the opinions of people of what would be the strongest opening in a chess game for both black and white.

At the moment, I'm in the habit of employing the Kings gambit, but its real risky, especially if the opponents knows how to counter it, in that case countering their counter turns into a messy affair.

In other good news, my small little school of 600 or so students has fare-welled year 12. So the one guy who made chess difficult for me has gone, I will now proceed to subject the surviving chess players to dictatorship and dismay. But I need some good openings first.

Whats the best?
Music composition contest:
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 6:58:15 AM
I personally go with the french defense. It's not a gambit, so there is little risk. And, it's a counter to the move that almost all players make. Moving the white pawn first.
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 7:16:36 AM
I move both of my horses first then move the two pawns in between forward 2.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 4:38:11 PM
There are many good chess openings, but there's no recognised best (some sicilian lines for black and Ruy Lopez for white might be considered good high level play though for reasons of continuing tension) . Let me begin by first stating that opening play against beginner players (or anybody below about 1300 or 1400 ELO) isn't critical.

Having said the above, you have a very large variety of options - basically, play anything that's not horrid (ie. h4) . Customise your openings to your style of play. I play caro-kann as black against e4, try and transpose to a French against d4 (which can lead to orthodox) and play 1. e4 as white hoping for a vienna game. Also, if you know your opponent then play against him (you have to have played a lot of games for this to work) .

I'm also guessing that your belief in a strongest opening probably means you're not at the point where openings begin to matter so much. Nevertheless, let me illustrate an example of opening preparation.

Our school's chess team had progressed to the final for our region (which was the second strongest region in my state) . We had taken on our opponents in the pre-finals stage (yes, they were in our division!) when half our team was away and unable to play; they had wiped out our 2nd, 4th and 6th boards in highly tactical games. From my 2nd board's memory we knew that they were going to be playing Sicilian on most boards as black. Later, that team came to our school to vs our B team. After they crushed them I took on their second board who used 1. b4 to get out of opening theory - an example of a move that your 'strong' opening knowledge doesn't help you out - you have to outplay him. We had a week to prepare for our opponents knowing this.

Of course, in the match we got sicilian play from them as black on boards 1 and 3 (I'm board 1) , 1. b4 as white on board 2 and something aggressive as white on board 4. As board 1 I deviated from sicilian prep by 1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. b3 for the first time in a serious game. Point is thus - serious opening preparation is not needed for most matches. The players on boards 1 and 2 were the ones who prepared most and had about 1500-1600 ELO strength. Boards 3 and 4 were probably about 1200-1300 ELO.

So, did openings affect this 1 hour aside match? Somewhat, but not fatally. My second board got a bad position through misplaying a line, but his later sacrifice was sound. He misplayed it and lost though. My 3rd board miscalculated in the middlegame. My 4th board lost pawns in the middlegame, then checkmated her opponent with about 10min left from the 2 hours (we were down 2-0 for most of the match). I blundered a pawn early middlegame in a tactical sequence, got it back from complex positional play over 10 moves. When my 4th board won her match I had got the advantage for the first time in the match in a crazy position with mutual checkmate threats, sacrificial threats and the like. We each had 4 minutes on the clock. I stupidly snatched a pawn when initiative was king, and we got to 2 minutes each on the clock in a 1 hour aisde game! I blundered into mate in a complex position.

What's the point of that long example by me? Your openings are probably not important, especially if you are better than your opponent by a fair bit. There's a skilled year 7 chess player at my school whose openings are pretty sharp, but his middlegame collapses against me or my board 2.

There are many good openings - choose one that fits your style best, research it, and learn a few other openings for variation and surprise.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it