Beginners 12.1 - DAY PHASE ONE

drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 6:04:23 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Introduction to Mafia:
Mafia is a game that pits an uninformed majority (the Town) against an informed minority (the Mafia). The mafia knows who they are, and (by process of elimination) who the town is. The mafia can coordinate strategies in a private PM. Each towns-person, however, doesn't know anything about anyone else. They could be town or mafia. The towns-people can only communicate publicly in the Day Phase threads.

The object of the game is to eliminate all opposing factions. The game is divided into Day and Night phases. The Day Phases involve deliberation and discussion about who could be a member of the Mafia, with the goal of getting the Mafia lynched. At any point in the day, you may Vote To Lynch a player using the following syntax: "VTL Drafterman." Of course, you would replace my name with the name of the player you are voting. Bolding your votes is required; unbolded votes will not count. If you wish to remove your vote, simply Unvote. Lastly, you can decide not to vote anyone by Voting To Not Lynch, or VTNL. Once a majority has been reached, votes are locked and the Day Phase will be ended with that person's death.

The Night Phases involve the use of abilities. Towns-persons and Mafia may be granted roles which grant them the use of abilities. What these abilities do is explained to each person in a PM. In addition to the use of abilities, the mafia may select an individual to die. This is known as a night kill, or NK. Who dies will be revealed at the beginning of the next Day phase.

The town wins when all mafia are dead. The mafia wins when they equal the number of towns people, since they can control the vote.

Terms, acronyms, and abbreviations:
Alignment - your status as Town, Mafia, or 3rd Party (anything not Town or Mafia).
Bandwagon - A "wagon" consists of the individuals voting for a person. Bandwagoning usually refers to hopping on such a wagon blindly or without clearly articulating your reasons.
BP - Bulletproof, a person immune to night kills.
Buddying - A tactic by mafia where they agree with or support towns people in an attempt to look innocent in return.
Bussing - When the mafia allow, or help, get one of their own members lynched, in order to look innocent in return, or to avoid suspicion.
Claim - Either Character Claim or Role Claim. This is a request to reveal this part of your Role.
Counter Claim - In most cases, roles are unique per game. A counter-claim is when one person challenges another person's role-claim by claiming the same role.
Fake Claim - Since your character or role can be indicative of your alignment, mafioso's usually invent fake claims to avoid suspicion. Cna also be done by Towns-persons trying to perform some sort of gambit.
FOS - Finger of suspicion. Indicates that you suspect someone of being mafia, but usually not enough to place a vote on them.
Hammer - Placing the last vote on someone to get them lynched.
JK - Jailkeeper, a combination of doctor and roleblocker.
LYLO - Lynch or Lose, a situation where the towns-people only outnumber the mafia by 1. Since the mafia gets a kill at night and this would tie them with the town and earn them a win, it is necessary for the town to lynch a mafia in this situation or they lose.
Modkill - You break my rules - I kill you. I will also retroactively convert you into a survivor such that you can't even claim a win with your original faction.
MYLO - Mislynch and Lose, a situation where the towns-people outnumber the mafia by 2. A mislynch gives the mafia a free kill which, when combined with the mafia night kill, allows the mafia to win. Barring irrefutable results, MYLO generally results in no lynch, which merely leads to LYLO.
NK - night kill, any kill performed at night, though usually refers to the mafia night kill.
PM - Private message. Players are only permitted to create or talk in Private Messages set up by the mod.
PR - Power Role, a role with some ability, either passive or active. Towns people without a power role are referred to as "Vanillas" while mafiosos without a power role are referred to as "Goons"
RVS - Random Voting Stage. When there is no information to go on, but you need to get the game moving, generally you'll pressure someone randomly.
Scum - Anyone that is not aligned with the town.
Scum-tell - some trait, or "tell" that indicates a person may be scum.
Softclaim - dropping hints, but not out-right claiming, to be a specific character or role.
SK - Serial Killer, a third party, night killing role.
WIFOM - Wine In Front Of Me. A subtle and complex type of psychology. Best explained here: http://mafiascum.net...

Rules:
1. The only PMs you are allowed to use to talk about this game with other players are the PMs that I have specifically created for that purpose.
2. Day phases will last until a majority vote has been reached or 48 hours has passed, whichever comes first. If the time-limit is reached, there will be no lynch.
3. Night phases will last until everyone submits their night action or 48 hours has passed, whichever comes first. If the time-limit is reached, your action is forfeit.
4. If you are not active for an entire phase, I will ping you to get you active. Exception: if you have no night actions to perform, you obviously won't be active during the night phase.
5. If you are not active for a Day-Night-Day cycle, or you fail to respond to two pings (see #4), you will be replaced.
6. You may not cut-and-paste from any game PM into the Day Phase thread. You must always paraphrase.
7. All game related questions should be directed to me, via PM. You don't have to create a new PM, you may use your Role PM or mafia PM.

Set-Up:
This round includes an Open Setup. This means that all the roles will be known publicly. This game involves the following roles:
Town - 1x Cop, 1x Doctor, 5x Vanilla
Mafia - 1x Role-Cop, 2x Goon

Cop - Learns players' alignments.
Doctor - Protects players from the night kill.
Vanilla - No abilities.
Role-Cop - Learns players' roles.
Goon - No abilities (may still perform the Mafia night kill).

Resources:
(note: Mafia at DDO is its own beast and follows no set rules, even if we usually abide by common conventions. Keep that in mind).
http://wiki.epicmafia.com...
http://mafiascum.net...
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 6:06:00 AM
Living Players:
1. TheAntidoter
2. Chicken
3. MilitaryAtheist
4. Jordan56
5. SarcasticIndeed
6. emospongebob527
7. Lannan13
8. johnnyboy54
9. Buddamoose
10. airmax1227

With 10 players, it takes 6 votes to lynch.
This Day Phase will end no later than 6AM DDO Time on 11/10.
TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 8:45:50 AM
Just to get some behavior analysis

VTL Chicken
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 9:27:38 AM
At 11/8/2012 9:25:50 AM, MilitaryAtheist wrote:
Do we have the same role thru the 12.x series?

No.

VTL SARS for 'noob rule' rule
Jordan56
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 9:42:48 AM
As much as I hate to break it to you there are five vanillas in this game and since it is a beginners game everyone is a noob, making the noob rule non-existent. Everyone who claims will easily fake-claim vanilla or actually claim their role.

A wise plan for this day phase is to have the cop claim and then we end the day phase. The doctor will know who to protect and we will get some easy results. Also mafia might possibly fake claim cop so we cant trust them until we get some legit results.

Cop please claim.
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 9:46:15 AM
At 11/8/2012 9:42:48 AM, Jordan56 wrote:
As much as I hate to break it to you there are five vanillas in this game and since it is a beginners game everyone is a noob, making the noob rule non-existent. Everyone who claims will easily fake-claim vanilla or actually claim their role.

A wise plan for this day phase is to have the cop claim and then we end the day phase. The doctor will know who to protect and we will get some easy results. Also mafia might possibly fake claim cop so we cant trust them until we get some legit results.

Cop please claim.

We still have two experienced players and some are less noob than others. I played around 5 games in total here.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 9:48:51 AM
At 11/8/2012 9:28:55 AM, MilitaryAtheist wrote:
At 11/8/2012 9:26:18 AM, MilitaryAtheist wrote:
At 11/8/2012 9:25:50 AM, MilitaryAtheist wrote:

VTL SARS for 'noob rule' rule

ICH BIN EIN EDIT

Lol, Sars? Weird way to call me. Anyway, why split the vote? We already had two voted to be lynched.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
Jordan56
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 9:49:01 AM
At 11/8/2012 9:46:15 AM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:

Cop please claim.

We still have two experienced players and some are less noob than others. I played around 5 games in total here.

Still, the point of the noob rule is that we catch them early because they will make a mistake and fake claim a used role. In this first game, everyone will just easily claim vanilla and hide behind that role. No one can be trusted and everyone is a liar.
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 9:51:25 AM
At 11/8/2012 9:49:01 AM, Jordan56 wrote:

Cop please claim.

Still, the point of the noob rule is that we catch them early because they will make a mistake and fake claim a used role. In this first game, everyone will just easily claim vanilla and hide behind that role. No one can be trusted and everyone is a liar.

Then we should really not be VTL-ing now, and should just wait for cop to out.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
Jordan56
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 9:53:43 AM
At 11/8/2012 9:51:25 AM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:

Cop please claim.

Essentially, unless there are any objections.
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 9:55:34 AM
At 11/8/2012 9:53:43 AM, Jordan56 wrote:
At 11/8/2012 9:51:25 AM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:

Cop please claim.

Essentially, unless there are any objections.

Unvote then.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
Jordan56
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 10:08:17 AM
So the plan today.

- Cop claims. We wait for a possible CC.
- Observe everyone's behavior and determine the scummiest player.
- VTNL
- Doc protects either himself or cop. (Up to you)

Does everyone agree. If you have a better plan please speak up.
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 10:40:33 AM
At 11/8/2012 10:08:17 AM, Jordan56 wrote:
So the plan today.

- VTNL

Doc should protect cop. If cop outs, he can surely be killed without being protected, whereas they have to guess who is doc if they want to kill him.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 10:43:59 AM
At 11/8/2012 10:08:17 AM, Jordan56 wrote:
So the plan today.

- VTNL

Perhaps this is not the answer.
Over anayasis, when the cop outs there is a 25% chance a town power role will be killed.
Conversly, there is a 20% chance if the cop is not outed.
Maybe the doc should just protect himself and wait for dp2 for the cop to get results.
After all, the chances seem better that way.
I think that is the best plan IMO although you are more experienced so your call.
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 10:46:40 AM
VTL Chicken for roll claim.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 10:47:39 AM
I claim vanilla.

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 11:03:12 AM
MilitaryAtheist
11/8/2012 11:00:24 AM
At 11/8/2012 10:47:39 AM, lannan13 wrote:
I claim vanilla.

I claim KFC employee.

Well then MA I want chicken dippers, mac n' cheese, mashed potatoes and gravy, and a Root Beer to drink.

MilitaryAtheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 11:08:44 AM
At 11/8/2012 11:03:12 AM, lannan13 wrote:
MilitaryAtheist
11/8/2012 11:00:24 AM
At 11/8/2012 10:47:39 AM, lannan13 wrote:
I claim vanilla.

I claim KFC employee.

Well then MA I want chicken dippers, mac n' cheese, mashed potatoes and gravy, and a Root Beer to drink.

Learn to quote.