Jump to topic:

Beginners 12.4 - DAY PHASE ONE

drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2012 6:34:55 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
The essence of DDO Mafia, is the themed game. Almost all games on mafia area themed games. A themed game introduces new elements (and sometimes new mechanics) that add complexity and (hopefully) fun to the game.

In addition to an alignment and a role, players are also given characters that fit in with the theme. The roles almost (but not always or necessarily) fit with the character. This can be expressed in a number of ways. For example, if the theme is a TV show or movie, and your character is a cop, officer, or policeman, he might very will have the Mafia role of "Cop" due to the similarity in profession, if not function. Alternatively, if the character isn't such an occupation, but is otherwise good at discerning between good and evil, they might also be a "Cop" due to the similarity in function, if not profession.

Themes are limited by the imagination. Most have to do with some form of media, such as TV shows, Literature, and Movies. Others are more abstract, like philosophies or politics. Literally anything can be a theme.

As said, themes add new elements to the game, which are summarized as follows:

1. Partial-claiming. Role-claiming can be dangerous for Townies to do, as it helps mafia decide who they need to kill. Instead of role-claiming, you can character claim. While your character may hint at your role, it is still safer than full claiming.

2. Fake-claiming. Mafia normally have to fake claim their roles when forced to claim in theme-less games. In themed games they also have to fake claim characters. Arguably this is more difficult. In role-claiming, they simply have to avoid being counter-claimed. In character claiming, they have to claim a character from the theme, is consistent with their role, and is major enough to be expected (though not all characters in the game will be major).

3. Patterns. Usually, there will be some distinguishing factor between the different factions. Normally this is a good vs. evil type discrimination, but not always. Remember, the Mafia start the game knowing 1/3rd of the role PMs, so have a head start in discerning any patterns and obfuscating Town's ability to also learn it.

4. Mod Psychology. Creating a themed game, including writing PMs, requires more input from the mod. Based on analysis of the game's creation, how the role PMs are written, and any patterns discovered, you can try and determine how the game was constructed in an effort to hunt for scum. However, this is more of an art than a science. Mistakes and deliberately traps created by the mod can hinder such an analysis. Trying to predict the mod's psychology is a double edged sword.

This Game's Theme
TRANSFORMERS!
This game is adapted from a game I had already designed for normal "prime time" play. It is adapted to be a "Classic" game. What does "Classic" mean? It means there are no custom mechanics or roles. The roles are those you would most commonly see in mafia games. It is a closed set-up, so I am not going to provide you a list of roles.

The scope of the theme is the Transformers Animated series from the 80's, including both the TV and the Movie.

Good luck!
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2012 6:35:57 PM
Functioning Transformers:
1. TheAntidoter
2. Chicken
3. FourTrouble
4. Jordan
5. SarcasticIndeed
6. F-16
7. Lannan13
8. johnnyboy
9. Buddamoose
10. airmax

With 10 players, it takes 6 votes to lynch. This day phase will end no later than 7PM DDO Time on 12/11.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2012 6:42:24 PM
I win with the town.

VTL Chicken for character claim.

I'm pressing you because I believe you are one of the newest players in this game.

I'm also only pressuring you for a "character claim" as is the standard operating procedure in games like these. Please only claim your character and not your role at this point.
Debate.org Moderator
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2012 6:45:33 PM
At 12/9/2012 6:42:24 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
I win with the town.

I'm pressing you because I believe you are one of the newest players in this game.

I'm also only pressuring you for a "character claim" as is the standard operating procedure in games like these. Please only claim your character and not your role at this point.

Lannnan is more of a noob than Chicken.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2012 7:04:05 PM
At 12/9/2012 6:45:33 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
I win with the town.

I think Lannan has been playing longer... I also don't think he'll be active until tomorrow... You are free to pressure whoever you want though and Lannan is a good second option.

I think we should get Chicken and Lannans (or whoever) character claims and then No Lynch.
Debate.org Moderator
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2012 7:14:45 PM
At 12/9/2012 7:04:05 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
I win with the town.

I think Lannan has been playing longer... I also don't think he'll be active until tomorrow... You are free to pressure whoever you want though and Lannan is a good second option.

Noobishness is not about amount of time playing the game. It is about the quality of the play itself.

I think we should get Chicken and Lannans (or whoever) character claims and then No Lynch.

I'm fine with that.

VTL Chicken for a charcater claim
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2012 7:18:57 PM
At 12/9/2012 7:14:45 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
I win with the town.

Noobishness is not about amount of time playing the game. It is about the quality of the play itself.

I know, but I'd rather not make an evaluation of a players skill and instead go with length of time playing as to not directly insult someone, which will ultimately get the same results most of the time.

I'm fine with that.

Debate.org Moderator
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2012 7:21:31 PM
At 12/9/2012 7:18:57 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
I win with the town.

I know, but I'd rather not make an evaluation of a players skill and instead go with length of time playing as to not directly insult someone, which will ultimately get the same results most of the time.

I wasn't trying to insult anyone...

I'm fine with that.

airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2012 7:29:04 PM
At 12/9/2012 7:21:31 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
At 12/9/2012 7:18:57 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
I win with the town.

I wasn't trying to insult anyone...

I know, I was saying that pressuring based on skill could be potentially insulting to that person, not that you were intentionally trying to do so... But by simply considering the newest player to be the SOP first pressure target no one is potentially insulted by being considered "a noob" based on their lack of noteworthy skill.

Anyways it doesn't really matter as the SOP for pressure on DP1 is entirely debatable, and this conversation is a bit off topic. We can pressure both Chicken and Lannan this DP for character claims.

I'm fine with that.

Debate.org Moderator
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2012 7:39:53 AM
I'm the Virgin I win with town
VTL Chicken
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2012 8:53:23 AM
At 12/10/2012 7:39:53 AM, lannan13 wrote:
I'm the Virgin I win with town
VTL Chicken

How does that relate to transformers?
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2012 11:10:15 AM
Whoops my bad, I made a roll claim, I'm Octomas Prime.

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

Jordan56
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2012 12:04:25 PM
At 12/10/2012 11:10:15 AM, lannan13 wrote:
Whoops my bad, I made a roll claim, I'm Octomas Prime.

-______________- Mega facepalm
Jordan56
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2012 12:07:13 PM
Well, I guess we can lynch lanaan today and get some useful results without the deaths. Do you all agree. He already fully claimed so he is a prime mafia target.
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2012 12:14:54 PM
I would like to see a paraphrase as to how the leader of the Autobots(I'm assuming thats what he meant by Octomus) is a virgin...

You know if Transformers procreated like organic creatures such as mammals, Optimus would totes be gettin laid like a boss.THIS MUCH I KNOW

VTL Lannan
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2012 12:17:27 PM
At 12/10/2012 12:14:54 PM, Buddamoose wrote:
I would like to see a paraphrase as to how the leader of the Autobots(I'm assuming thats what he meant by Octomus) is a virgin...

You know if Transformers procreated like organic creatures such as mammals, Optimus would totes be gettin laid like a boss.THIS MUCH I KNOW

VTL Lannan

Maybe a paraphrase of her role?
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2012 12:17:47 PM
You know if Transformers procreated like organic creatures such as mammals, Optimus would totes be gettin laid like a boss.

DAMM YOU PHONE I WANT TO SIG THIS D:
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2012 12:21:36 PM
At 12/10/2012 12:17:47 PM, Zaradi wrote:
You know if Transformers procreated like organic creatures such as mammals, Optimus would totes be gettin laid like a boss.

DAMM YOU PHONE I WANT TO SIG THIS D:

Screw it. Going for it.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2012 1:02:58 PM
At 12/10/2012 12:07:13 PM, Jordan56 wrote:
Well, I guess we can lynch lanaan today and get some useful results without the deaths. Do you all agree. He already fully claimed so he is a prime mafia target.

Why would we lynch the first person to claim, solely because they claimed? I do not agree. I want justification from you for suggesting we kill him. ASAP.

VTL Jordan
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2012 1:05:01 PM
Unvote
VTL Jordan

Jordan is being suspious as a possible mafia member to want to kill a confirmed townie right off the bat.